• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That nonsense usually happens after big events or various announcements, though.

That's why I stick around here after E3 for a few weeks until it blows over... or I play games or do work. Whatever works.

Actually, one of my favourite threads on Gaming Side lately have been the Whatcha Been Playin' threads, because people actually go out of their way to say whether or not they're enjoying a game, where they are in a game, etc. No one really says anything about how wrong someone is for disliking a game, etc. You just have a platform to talk about what you're playing without the hindrances of an OT "you're only allowed to say positive things about a game you're playing!" mindset, or an LTTP thread.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tell that to the majority of posters in the Ni no Kuni thread... >.>

If I have something negative to say about that game as I play it, I'm not going to voice it in that thread at all. I'll probably say it in here or the Whatcha Been Playin' threads.

Regarding the hot topics, I just tend to steer clear of them, oh sure i'll poke my head into see the insanity but I don't tend to bother posting, the carnival of stupid is often in full swing and boy does it go both ways and that's the problem, the middle road is often obscured or ignored in favour of hyperbole from one extreme to the other.

Remember that it's only going to get worse from here on out, most of what's occurred recently is from a Nintendo Direct of all things, a good one at that. I'd say the crazy will be out in full force at E3 but there's rumblings that the other consoles may play their hand even earlier in which case I don't want to see my fellow Sonic gaffers dragged into futile arguments against people set in stone, it's not worth the headache.

We're rivals?! D:
But I don't wanna be your rival.

Nope, Nert and Ghaleon are. I'm just... I just get really cranky towards every single list your favourite music thread because people just don't put forth the very minimal effort to say why they listed what they did. That goes for list threads in general. It's really disheartening.

Yeah but this is the good kind of rival, the one that fills me with burning ambition, except instead of being about fighting it's all about upping post quality.
No but in all seriousness posters who put effort into things like lists or explanations as to how they actually feel about a game have spurned me onward to try and up my post quality, My GotY list from 2011 looks small time compared to to what I put in 2012.
And this carries nicely into point 2, music threads are a pickle, i'll at least try and throw down some kind of explanation for the choices, if no one sets the example then who will follow?
But yeah Nert and Ghaleon are indeed the head honchos of soundtrack gaf.

OMG Aero

Anybody gonna get Phantasy Star Online 2 when it launches?
Hell yeah I am. It's the sequel to the best MMO ever and it's free.
Remember that it's only going to get worse from here on out, most of what's occurred recently is from a Nintendo Direct of all things, a good one at that. I'd say the crazy will be out in full force at E3 but there's rumblings that the other consoles may play their hand even earlier in which case I don't want to see my fellow Sonic gaffers dragged into futile arguments against people set in stone, it's not worth the headache.
NeoGAF is going to be fucking great when the new Xbox and PS4 are revealed/released. I need to stock up on popcorn for it.

I'm still not sure how, exactly, they expect graphics to get better.

I mean, I'll admit I forgot about Square's Luminous Engine (which, tangentially related to the topic, was designed by the same guy who did the Hedgehog Engine! Small world), although I haven't seen the tech demo to understand why it's so orgasmic. I've seen UE4's demo, and while fully real-time lighting is nice, it otherwise looked so UE3... There was a game that was being done on both engines (I forget why), and they showed shots of the game running in both engines, and I couldn't see any damn difference between the two. Dunno what people who play video games as opposed to develop them are so excited about that one for.

Other than that, it's just IQ things like higher resolutions, more AA/AF, etc... That's not exactly making a huge leap.

Maybe more fabrics? Characters with friggin' hair? Long hair, even, that flows semi-realistically. That'd be a minor change, sure, but hell if I would say no. Not many games even tried; there's the Alice sequel, and, what?

NeoGAF is going to be fucking great when the new Xbox and PS4 are revealed/released. I need to stock up on popcorn for it.
There's going to be so much wrath people will begin looking like your avatar.
This does remind me though that even those two companies will have fans at each others throats once more which is something i'd forgotten could happen, you could call the current situation the late gen ceasefire when people likely have both consoles or have gotten over any silly quibbles about whose similar console is the better choice but I guess the gloves come off again when the successors are both revealed.
One of them will have like a small superiority in something minor and technical that I have no understanding of and people will be losing their shit over it while I wonder just what in the blue hell everyone's on about, those crazy specs!

Yeah on second thoughts grab me a bag of popcorn while you're there, might as well take some perverse joy in the upcoming wreck if nothing else.

Tell that to the majority of posters in the Ni no Kuni thread... >.>

If I have something negative to say about that game as I play it, I'm not going to voice it in that thread at all. I'll probably say it in here or the Whatcha Been Playin' threads.

Tell them to stuff it. I'm sick of people not being able to enjoy games without people jumping down their throats. I feel sorry for what my friend goes through.

Sciz

I've seen UE4's demo, and while fully real-time lighting is nice, it otherwise looked so UE3... There was a game that was being done on both engines (I forget why), and they showed shots of the game running in both engines, and I couldn't see any damn difference between the two. Dunno what people who play video games as opposed to develop them are so excited about that one for.

Other than that, it's just IQ things like higher resolutions, more AA/AF, etc... That's not exactly making a huge leap.

You're thinking of Fortnite (which is probably dead, post-CliffyB). A lot of the updates in UE4 are with regards to tools and workflow.

You're thinking of Fortnite (which is probably dead, post-CliffyB). A lot of the updates in UE4 are with regards to tools and workflow.
Probably, and like I said, if you're a developer, I can see tons to look forward to here, but if you're not a developer, what exactly is the rallying point here?

...aah, Professor Layton games are such great palette-cleansers. Started back up on Last Specter after marathoning the first trilogy months ago (stopped due to not wanting to be fatigued). I'm really gonna need to get a 3DS soon.

Holy crap I completely forgot about Fortnite; it looekd pretty sweet, too (aesthetically, at least).

...aah, Professor Layton games are such great palette-cleansers. Started back up on Last Specter after marathoning the first trilogy months ago (stopped due to not wanting to be fatigued). I'm really gonna need to get a 3DS soon.

Miracle Mask was a pretty good entry, my favourite after the third game so you've got that to look forward to when the time comes. It's funny how the small visual changes managed to freshen things up quite a bit despite the formula being the same as ever.

Sciz

Probably, and like I said, if you're a developer, I can see tons to look forward to here, but if you're not a developer, what exactly is the rallying point here?

Either budgets go down while content remains static, which is good for the health of the industry, or content quality/quantity goes up while budgets remain static. Nothing immediately tangible, but it's important all the same.

Dead? I sure hope not, game looked like a cross between TF2 and Minecraft.

I'll be amazed if Epic is still working on a PC exclusive scavenge and build game without Cliff pushing it.

Epic are pretty clearly getting out of development.

All I wanted was Jazz Jackrabbit 3, and when that dream died, all I wanted was JJ2 on Steam. And that's dead too.

What happened, Epic.

All I wanted was Jazz Jackrabbit 3, and when that dream died, all I wanted was JJ2 on Steam. And that's dead too.

What happened, Epic.
UT3 bombed while GoW didn't, and UE3 sales skyrocketed, so they refocused all their efforts on consoles and middleware. That's my guess, anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ah, someone posted Can't Touch This Battery in here? Good, good.

OMG Aero said:
I completely agree. That time is going to be fun.

Anyone who doesn't shall suffer Nocturne for 5 hours.
why did you utter its name...

Yeah but this is the good kind of rival, the one that fills me with burning ambition, except instead of being about fighting it's all about upping post quality.
No but in all seriousness posters who put effort into things like lists or explanations as to how they actually feel about a game have spurned me onward to try and up my post quality, My GotY list from 2011 looks small time compared to to what I put in 2012.
And this carries nicely into point 2, music threads are a pickle, i'll at least try and throw down some kind of explanation for the choices, if no one sets the example then who will follow?
But yeah Nert and Ghaleon are indeed the head honchos of soundtrack gaf.
Yaaaaay, that's generally my ulterior motive with my posts sometimes. Especially in the Soundtrack thread but I usually post late in them, so...

Well, even if you can't talk about the music, which is generally the issue, just say, "I like #:## - #:## of the music" or something. I don't give a fuck, just rationalize why you posted what you did. Same goes for games: "OP, I think you should try Dr. Doolittle for PS2 because it uses Comic Sans font and it looks like someone made it in MS Paint." I dunno! Just say something! Put more thought into your posts because a list isn't going to tell me anything about why I should try out what you listed.

Tell them to stuff it. I'm sick of people not being able to enjoy games without people jumping down their throats. I feel sorry for what my friend goes through.
I wish I could do that. I'm not going to openly say that I don't think Eternal Sonata deserves all the hate it gets because I enjoyed my time with it... because GAF really hates it. Or I'm not gonna say why I don't think some aspects of Ni No Kuni are that great because I find the AI options lacking because most people in the OT seem to love it. It's just like how I'm not going to talk about aspects of Xenoblade that I don't really like because other people have been jumped on for disagreeing with the general opinion of it.

If there's anything I really find obnoxious about GAF on a general basis, it's that.

BlackJace said:
Is Ni no Kuni good? My friend is speeding through it and told me he'll let me borrow it afterwards if I'm interested.
It seems okay so far. It's shining star is its presentation and music, though. Drippy having a Welsh accent is really cute. It's a nice alternative to his Osaka accent in the original JP voiceover (which is not very good; honestly, use the English VA if you do play it).

I can't say much for the battle system, though... I dunno. I still need more time with it to form an opinion of it. I'm trying very hard not to post "honeymoon phase" type of posts for NNK because I was lukewarm towards it in the first place.

Noi

If there was one thing I noticed about Ni no Kuni previews pre-release, it was that gameplay footage was always mysteriously absent and it was mostly cut scenes and the like. That tends to be warning sign for me.

The Gaf hive mind is strong but it deserves to be snuffed out.

Yup. It's really hard to so when you're basically making an enemy out of a whole thread though. I mostly just post in this thread, specific game OTs and the Vita thread (which has it's fair share of obnoxious personalities).

BlackJace

Thanks for your impressions, Schala. Presentation and music (which are both important) pale in comparison to the importance of a great battle system. Maybe when it hits lower prices I'll take a shot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for your impressions, Schala. Presentation and music (which are both important) pale in comparison to the importance of a great battle system. Maybe when it hits lower prices I'll take a shot.
I haven't gotten too deep into it yet, so I'd hold off on taking stock in what I'm saying right now. I wasn't that impressed with the system in the demo, but did think it was better than what Japanese trailers led me to believe.

Still, the lack of adequate AI options bugs me a little. Outside of that, it's a lot like using the right strength Pokemon, the right elemental Pokemon, evolving your Pokemon, and not using your starter at all times (which some people seem to be doing and thus they think the game is hard? It's not that hard; it doesn't even have a hard difficulty setting. :|). Also, guarding is your friend and using free run isn't the best idea.

Also, Hino wrote the story which sets off warning alarms in my head about it not being cohesive and/or falling apart towards the end.

Edit: Oh, uh, if this matters: The translation was supervised by the same guy who did Dragon Quest VIII, which was a very good one, imo.

If there was one thing I noticed about Ni no Kuni previews pre-release, it was that gameplay footage was always mysteriously absent and it was mostly cut scenes and the like. That tends to be warning sign for me.
I heard the demo was balanced to be easier than the final product, but it's not hard right now.

Maybe it gets a difficulty spike somewhere?

Noi

I heard the demo was balanced to be easier than the final product, but it's not hard right now.

I really don't mind easy difficulties as long as it's fun. I don't see myself picking it up anytime soon though, between XIII-2 and Persona 4, I can live without another monster collection-based RPG for a while.

...That and EDF 2017 is still taking up my entire game time. I have no idea how that game has hooked me as well as it has.

BlackJace

I haven't gotten too deep into it yet, so I'd hold off on taking stock in what I'm saying right now. I wasn't that impressed with the system in the demo, but did think it was better than what Japanese trailers led me to believe.

Still, the lack of adequate AI options bugs me a little. Outside of that, it's a lot like using the right strength Pokemon, the right elemental Pokemon, evolving your Pokemon, and not using your starter at all times (which some people seem to be doing and thus they think the game is hard? It's not that hard; it doesn't even have a hard difficulty setting. :|). Also, guarding is your friend and using free run isn't the best idea.

Also, Hino wrote the story which sets off warning alarms in my head about it not being cohesive and/or falling apart towards the end.

Edit: Oh, uh, if this matters: The translation was supervised by the same guy who did Dragon Quest VIII, which was a very good one, imo.

Interesting. Getting a SMT vibe too, what with switching around to take advantage of weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom