• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
dun dun dun dun

3zRFssv.gif

They should port Sonic 2006 to PC.

Who knows, there might actually be a build of Sonic 06 for the PC out there somewhere in some Sega code vault. The original banner image leaked before Sonic 06 was announced listed "Xbox 360 - Playstation 3 - PC" as platforms, and in the back of the manual for the PC version of Sonic Riders, there's totally a "COMING SOON" ad for a PC version of Sonic 06. Googling around a bit, it looks like Amazon even had a product entry for a PC port listed for a while.

Sonic Riders Zero Gravity for the PC also exists in a Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit compatibility database, suggesting that port might've actually been finished (or at least be far enough along to be evaluated for 64bit compatibility) and never released.

Tizoc

Sonic 2006 on PC will be the most modded game in Sonic history.
The fans'll finally be able to make it worth playing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's not even a localization thing either: ソニックナックル (sonikku nakkuru). :lol

It's just in FF3, FF11, Dissidia and something else that I haven't played because I don't have a smartphone.

Sonic 2006 on PC will be the most modded game in Sonic history.
The fans'll finally be able to make it worth playing.
It won't be worth playing, though, because fans can't fix the shitty story.

also, the level design in that game kinda sucked, didn't it?

Interesting. Getting a SMT vibe too, what with switching around to take advantage of weakness.
Should probably follow up on this with this post from the OT:

As I was saying to a few other people, I'm kind of holding back on hitting some of the issues I have, especially in a thread as positive as this. So... I think I might need to preface this with, "None of the things below mean I hate it or anything. Because I don't hate the game, man. I think it's alright."

They need to tell the player that R2/L2 is essential for battle, omg. It makes it flow way better.

I don't like how pulled back the camera is on the world map because I can barely see some of the enemies whenever they come at me or whenever I want to PE-strike them (well, this is a matter of my vision being rather poor). It's also problematic when I'm looking for invisible items, weapons, food, etc. on the world map, and I can't see anything. I don't like how close the camera is in some of the towns or dungeons and I feel like it should be pulled back a little. But I do like that I can look for stuff in pots and whatnot, though they make them really obvious in this game (ie: some of them glow, and I would've preferred it if they were hidden from the player).

I wish the game had more AI options in battle (on that note, I don't really like the battle music as I think it should've been more bombastic). I feel like the game is a little on the easy side on Normal at the moment (because I hear that there might be a difficulty spike?), just because it's mostly a matter of choosing the right elementals and types for things. But if you're familiar with how I feel with regards to difficulty, you can see why this is an issue for me. It may not be an issue for everyone else at all. I'm still iffy about the battle system. If I'm still feeling this way about it after the demo and time spent with the game in general, I don't think I'm going to overall warm up to it. Like... I do like that you have to watch the enemy animation to cancel attack and go into defense and time it correctly because free run will get you nowhere (and Namco really has to start doing this for Tales), but outside of that... I kind of get bored with it? I sort of wish it were more tactical than a free-for-all (and added AI options would certainly help), especially with the system they chose. What I mean is that it feels really repetitive. Much like other L-5 games, I guess.

I disliked that the game took its sweet time opening up menu options for me (ex: I could've used the stats menu much earlier than I got it because I ended up getting into fights when I got to the world map when I didn't intend to and levelled up relatively quickly enough to want to know where I was at).

I dunno. I still feel rather lukewarm towards it. On the other hand, the presentation and the rest of the soundtrack are outstanding and incredibly charming. My boyfriend was making fun of the dialogue earlier and then he asked me whether or not it was the dude who did FFIX, DQ8, and Chrono Cross because it sounded a lot like stuff he'd write. And sure enough, when I looked it up... aha, I'm surprised he caught that before I did. So... Richard Honeywood doesn't work for Square anymore? That's a crying shame.

Tizoc

It won't be worth playing, though, because fans can't fix the shitty story.
Who the heck palys Sonic games for the story?
Besides you could mod the game to skip the cutscenes.

also, the level design in that game kinda sucked, didn't it?
Well the game was rushed and at its current state, it makes one wonder, had the game wasn't so buggy and messed up would the stages be recieved much better?

qq more

The levels are usually 10 minutes long and a lot of it were boring generic platforming so no

also enemies has HP which breaks the flow

EDIT: Oh and can't forget the stupid instant kill sand bullshit.

Tizoc

The levels are usually 10 minutes long and a lot of it were boring generic platforming so no

also enemies has HP which breaks the flow

EDIT: Oh and can't forget the stupid instant kill sand bullshit.

...but that's based on the CURRENT status of the game as is known, if the game were altered to remove all the ridiculous bugs and glitches, and made enemies die from 1-hit, it could be a less tedious experience.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who the heck palys Sonic games for the story?
Besides you could mod the game to skip the cutscenes.
How could you mod out some of the gameplay areas that involved the narrative like Dusty Desert, Tropical Jungle, a few of Shadow's levels/Silver's levels, End of the World, etc? Why would you be chasing the Radical Train in the first place if Elise isn't on it?

A lot of the Sonic Adventure-type of games tries to interweave its narrative into its levels selection and gameplay, and sometimes it's married so much (ie: Dusty Desert; having to carry Elise over the sand that's basically recoloured water) that it's hard to separate them.

Not even the 2D version of Sonic 2006 is even good because it's simply boring level design.

Also, was this "Sonic Knuckles" in the Famicom version, too?
No; the Sonic Knuckles were a new addition to the DS/PSP/iOS version.

qq more

...but that's based on the CURRENT status of the game as is known, if the game were altered to remove all the ridiculous bugs and glitches, and made enemies die from 1-hit, it could be a less tedious experience.

But even that aside, there's still gameplay level mechanics that are still awful themselves such as the instant kill sand. The level was designed around that mechanic half of the times. So to even fix that, you'd also have to redesign the most of the level at the same time.

And like I said, the levels themselves are pretty generic and boring. I don't think there would be much praise on them but I could be wrong.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I beat Sonic Generations. The remixed music was pretty nice. Now to get all S Ranks.
What'd you think of the game overall?

...yeah, so I was catching up on some webcomics and found this.

Apparently Ian Flynn is working with someone on it.
Huh. So he's writing the dialogue/script?

Let's see...

Tulip Festival - (Note: Reach past the 0:50 second mark to please your ears).
Abyss of Time - (Note: Same as above - Reach past the 0:50 second mark)
What You Will See - (Reach 2:00 minute mark for epicness)
Good! That's the type of stuff that I like to see from people who have trouble describing their reasons for listing things. And good for the OP for setting an example!

Sakura Schoolyard - (somewhat repetitive but amazing nonetheless)
Acceptable.

0.5 marks for the answer. 0.5 lost for not saying why.

Kokonoe

Banned
I put all my effort posts into my threads and posts in PokeGAF throughout my time here. I've posted 'all right' elsewhere, but my memory is rather foggy so I can't think of what I have done.

I've become quite lazy lately I admit, but I'd rather relax on GAF.

GAMERG0D

About the final boss

I was kind of surprised when I found out the old Eggman was working with the new one. That should have came to my mind earlier when he was nowhere to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom