• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/pos...d-youtube-comment-3-17-2012#comment-469715539

I guess I am officially getting death threats now over what I am saying about Sonic 2006

Edit: Oh wait I guess he took it back right under the threat

You know what? I'm just gonna say this right now. Sonic 06 IS a good game. To hate.

It's good because it's fun seeing people's reactions to all the horrible shit we had to go through when we played it first.

It's fun making fun of the horrible voice acting and story.

It's fun looking at all the desperate fanboy's who want to use every single resource they can to proove that it's a good game.

Those are the only good things of Sonic 06.

Sciz

lol, people were saying the same thing in the Graces thread too.

Should I change it back? I recognize people by avatar too so it throws me off whenever someone makes a drastic change.

I'd shoot for something less monochrome and desaturated, myself (coming from the guy with the vivid yellow Pika-cab avatar).

dsavataroriginalg9zz9.png
dsavatarcolorj8xfq.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I would never say 06 is better than Colors, but I would say they are both bad. The build quality of Colors is light years beyond 06, but that doesn't mean it's a good game. My main problem with it is that the platforming is awkward and feels nothing Like Sonic should.

Colors doesn't feel like 2D or 3D Sonic, but its still fun. What I like most about it is how they took the wisp powers and the level design and made a game focused on exploration and alternate routes, which is something I was very glad to see come back.

Sonic Generations may have felt more "Sonic" to control but the level design becomes so inconsistent after the first three acts that I just can't like it as much. Especially Classic Sonic's levels. I'd like to see more games in the vein of Unleashed Daytime (which Colors didn't do) but I also do want to see more games in the Colors mold with better controls.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks, guys. I was wondering if people were getting thrown off or something since some people have commented on it in a few threads.

I recognise Schala by her super-long posts. :p
:O

Is that a bad thing?

I'd shoot for something less monochrome and desaturated, myself (coming from the guy with the vivid yellow Pika-cab avatar).
Thanks, Sciz! I'll stick with this one for a week and I'll probably switch to the more saturated one. I'll use it now because I might as well get it out of the way and you were so nice to fix the colour. I was thinking of fixing the colour as I was resizing it and editing it in GIMP but then I decided to leave it.

The saturated one stands out much better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, of course not, posts can be as short or long as they want, I don't care :lol
lol, I didn't think my posts were that verbose.

Unless it's about an RPG or something.

Anth0ny said:
brofist.jpg
Admittedly, Sonic 2006 seems more fun with other people around, sharing in your dissatisfaction with the game.

When are you going to finish it? Finals should be coming up in a few weeks, though I guess you have end-of-term stuff to hand in at the moment. :/

Colors doesn't feel like 2D or 3D Sonic, but its still fun. What I like most about it is how they took the wisp powers and the level design and made a game focused on exploration and alternate routes, which is something I was very glad to see come back.

The wisp mechanic doesn't have any place in a Sonic game. They're a gimmick I'd expect some generic platformer to have. They can have all the exploration and moves without watering down Sonic's gameplay.

Anth0ny

When are you going to finish it? Finals should be coming up in a few weeks, though I guess you have end-of-term stuff to hand in at the moment. :/

Yes, writing an essay right now. Japanese presentation next week and Japanese final the week after. That language is hard =(

Rest of my finals are in April. Regardless, I think I'll find the time to finish 06 by May.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The wisp mechanic doesn't have any place in a Sonic game. They're a gimmick I'd expect some generic platformer to have. They can have all the exploration and moves without watering down Sonic's gameplay.

The way I see it the Wisps were an attempt to give the game an innovative mechanical identity, rather then make the game "We totally swear we got Sonic to work in 3D this time guys super seriously!". It finally felt like a step forward into exploring different ways to add onto Sonic's gameplay instead of constantly trying to relive the glory days.

I bet you wisp haters just love your Sonic Adventure item trinkets of unnecessary crap like "Magic Hands" and "Bounce Bracelet"
Actually that last one was pretty cool and necessary, shame about everything else.

Magic Hands seemed like a pretty cool idea, actually. Problem is, you have to come to a complete standstill, hit Y like 4-5 times and THEN activate it, and God help you if you hit Y too many times...

Then again, Silver's gameplay was pretty similar in concept (grab enemies - well, disabled or dead ones, in Silver's case - and throw them at other enemies), and it didn't turn out too well, so...

Rlan

New Sonic Comic Previews:

sth238.600.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #238
"Loyalty" Part Two: The clock is ticking as Sonic leads Team Fighters on a desperate rescue mission! Two nations stand on the brink of war, and long-time ally, Lupe, is set to be legionized! Meanwhile, the "Unraveling" storyline begins as Mina's concert of hope draws the ire of the evil Ixis Naugus!
Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Tracy Yardley!, Steven Butler, Terry Austin, John Workman and Matt Herms
Cover: Tracy Yardley!, Terry Austin and Matt Herms
Shipping Date: 6/20
On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 7/4
32-page, full color comic
$2.99 US.

su41.600.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #41
"Unsung Heroes" Part One: The Secret Freedom Fighter arc begins here! Geoffrey St. John has been sent on a mysterious mission by the evil Ixis Naugus. It's up to Silver the Hedgehog's squad to find out what he's after - and to stop him! What is Naugus' sinister plot? Who are these Secret Freedom Fighters? The answers begin here!
Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Tracy Yardley!, Jim Amash, Jack Morelli and Steve Downer
Cover: Tracy Yardley!, Jack Morelli and Steve Downer
Shipping Date: 6/6
On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 6/20
32-page, full color comic
$2.99 US.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic's face on that cover is weird. It's so lopsided.

Yes, writing an essay right now. Japanese presentation next week and Japanese final the week after. That language is hard =(
I decided to teach myself the language just because you can set your own pace and learn stuff faster or slower. It also sorta helped that I switched my second major to linguistics and learned a bunch of stuff from my phonology classes that helped out. A few of my friends took it while we were at UofT and they thought it was so hard (since they thought it was a bird course).

It's just because you're not used to the logographic and moraic forms of the language since you've been exposed to languages using the Latin alphabet. If you're interested, I ended up using "Remembering the Kana" and "Remembering the Kanji" as references, and get a good grammar (like "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar"). Learning kana first is super-easy and it takes two weeks if you have time to practice it... at least to recognize loanwords (katakana), and also morphological portions of words like prefixes, affixes and particles (hiragana). They're slightly easier to "get" because they're syllabic (CV or V) in nature (and thus easier to sound out).

But since you're almost finished the course, you probably know most of this stuff, lol.

Anth0ny

Sonic's face on that cover is weird. It's so lopsided.

I decided to teach myself the language just because you can set your own pace and learn stuff faster or slower. It also sorta helped that I switched my second major to linguistics and learned a bunch of stuff from my phonology classes that helped out. A few of my friends took it while we were at UofT and they thought it was so hard (since they thought it was a bird course).

It's just because you're not used to the logographic and moraic forms of the language since you've been exposed to languages using the Latin alphabet. If you're interested, I ended up using "Remembering the Kana" and "Remembering the Kanji" as references, and get a good grammar (like "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar"). Learning kana first is super-easy and it takes two weeks if you have time to practice it... at least to recognize loanwords (katakana), and also morphological portions of words like prefixes, affixes and particles (hiragana). They're slightly easier to "get" because they're syllabic (CV or V) in nature (and thus easier to sound out).

But since you're almost finished the course, you probably know most of this stuff, lol.

Yeah, the course started in September, so luckily I know katakana and hiragana by this point. It's the kanji that's kinda killing me right now. We're expected to know ~100 for the final, and I know maybe 20 =(

This course is so fast paced it makes Modern Sonic seem slow in comparison.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, the course started in September, so luckily I know katakana and hiragana by this point. It's the kanji that's kinda killing me right now. We're expected to know ~100 for the final, and I know maybe 20 =(

This course is so fast paced it makes Modern Sonic seem slow in comparison.
Flash cards help a lot! But practice, practice, practice and work with other people to learn stuff better.

And don't worry. I know a few people who took accelerated Japanese I and II in the summer. Most of them turned out okay... But for some, it was faster than a mach speed section.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was going to play the new Suikoden game tonight, but I dug my Game Gear out.

I'm playing Sonic Blast.

It's... uh... it's worse than I remembered. The backgrounds are all wrong, and they're so dull to look at. Everything feels so s l o w, and I dislike both characters' running animations. It's gotten to a point where I don't think the level design supports Knuckles very well either. The fourth zone is incomprehensible; who designed this garbage? Many of the zones feel quite uninspired.

Even the names of the zones seem to have no effort put into them.

*sigh* I remember asking for this for Christmas too.

I'm gonna play Super Columns instead. Or Triple Trouble. Or Suikoden.

qq more

I was going to play the new Suikoden game tonight, but I dug my Game Gear out.

I'm playing Sonic Blast.

It's... uh... it's worse than I remembered. The backgrounds are all wrong, and they're so dull to look at. Everything feels so s l o w, and I dislike both characters' running animations. It's gotten to a point where I don't think the level design supports Knuckles very well either. The fourth zone is incomprehensible; who designed this garbage? Many of the zones feel quite uninspired.

Even the names of the zones seem to have no effort put into them.

*sigh* I remember asking for this for Christmas too.

I'm gonna play Super Columns instead. Or Triple Trouble. Or Suikoden.
Oh god, Sonic Blast.

Blue Marine Zone is the WORST 2D Sonic level ever designed.

Y'know, I've played most Sonic games. Even really awful ones like Shadow and 2K6 (didn't fully complete either, but can you blame me?). Hell, my YouTube account is one of the few places where you can find footage of Sonic's Schoolhouse, ffs.

And yet, I don't believe I've ever put much time into Sonic Blast. I know almost nothing about it, other than it being an ugly as sin attempt to ape Donkey Kong Country on a system far too weak to handle graphics of that sort.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Started watching RunButton's Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic. The best thing about it is when the dude gets his Sega facts totally wrong. lol

OMG Aero

Speaking of which, episode 6 of Sonic 2006 is up now where they continue down the dark path of Silver's storyline.
I still don't know if Silver being able to levitate objects he is standing on is intentional or just the physics bugging out. It seems like it is something you are meant to be able to do when standing on box, but on another object the game just freaks the fuck out.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Y'know, I've played most Sonic games. Even really awful ones like Shadow and 2K6 (didn't fully complete either, but can you blame me?). Hell, my YouTube account is one of the few places where you can find footage of Sonic's Schoolhouse, ffs.

And yet, I don't believe I've ever put much time into Sonic Blast. I know almost nothing about it, other than it being an ugly as sin attempt to ape Donkey Kong Country on a system far too weak to handle graphics of that sort.

Believe me, you're better off not playing Sonic Blast.

I can only think of two times that happened...

"Wow! He's fast! Wait a minute, it's not his speed! He must be using that Chaos Emerald to w-"
"My name is Shadow..."

and

"Faker? Hmph, I think you're the fake hedgehog around here! You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to-"
"I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"

I can only think of two times that happened...

"Wow! He's fast! Wait a minute, it's not his speed! He must be using that Chaos Emerald to w-"
"My name is Shadow..."

and

"Faker? Hmph, I think you're the fake hedgehog around here! You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to-"
"I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"

There was the final Sonic Vs. Shadow boss fight in the Dark Story, too.

"I'll use you-"
"CHAOS CONTROL!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh god, Sonic Blast.

Blue Marine Zone is the WORST 2D Sonic level ever designed.
Who designed this? Why?

FzkIN.png

They still make new Suikoden games? Like, proper ones? Huh.
yxdVD.gif

(Kidding.)

Serious talk: Actually, this one's more politically-based than Tierkreis. I'm liking it more, at least. Tierkreis took me three playthrough attempts before I actually finished it. It's too bad that it's been ridiculously easy so far. Like... Suikoden games are already easy, but this is easy-easy; very forgiving. And it kinda looks like garbage, but the animated scenes are nice, and nearly every single line in "cutscenes" are voiced by some of the best VAs out there. Yes, Norio Wakamoto is in this game.

Shadow Hog said:

Don't even bother. It's pretty damn awful. Still playable, but it's ugly, the level design is garbage, Knuckles drops like a rock (in fact, the level design doesn't really facilitate his skills very well), and the last two Zones are stupidly designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom