• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mgs2r3EVb31qzrctvo1_500.jpg

The 90s, yeah.

Or maybe the 80s. I'm not sure. I just love this picture.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Back. I'm baaaaack...
Welcome back. Your last day is nearly over and has been uneventful.

I'm so sad that avatar won't get a lot of use.

I'm very certain that the point of Noi was to link the game a little bit to Ys, while Nayuta linked the game a little bit to Trails. There are a lot of parallels to both series throughout Nayuta and it makes for a rather nice reunion game of sorts.

Yeah, it's too bad i don't have the log saved, I should of saved it! I reinstalled windows a many times after that though, so it's long gone.

He told me if it wasn't Iizuka who was laughing at him that he would of punched him in the face xD that's how rude Iizuka-san was apparently xD

Gamegear? hahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. No.
"What is this Game Gear that you're referring to? Oh that giant hunk of junk that Sega made me take around with me but I couldn't play it on the train because I didn't have batteries? LOLOL, the games were probably terrible and they don't need to be acknowledged in Sonic's anniversary games! I never played them. They're probably not as good as the Dimps games. Yes... Dimps is the saviour of Portable Sonic games!"

"How dare you ask me about such a thing! I'll just laugh in your faaaaace."

By the way if for whatever reason any of you want to watch the Black Knight stream from earlier today

http://www.twitch.tv/thelostskeleton/c/1890880

Tempted to put it on Youtube but I am not sure. If any of you want me to do that, I will.
I wanted to ask before, but are you comfortable with me linking your streams in the Pokecapn thread? They're almost like LPs anyway, and GAF could use some representation.

We need to send Schala to LA so she can be on this Gametrailers NeoGAF documentary thingy.
Schala's far too polite. I'm sure they'd all act like condescending dicks if that were the case.
Ehhhhh? Did I miss something?

Fake Edit: Pachter?! Hahahahaha, didn't he get drunk on Giant Bomb's E3 bombcast last year and just flat out said he hated some people posting on the site? Well, it's EviLore's site, so it's good that he's been contacted for an interview. Which portion of GAF are assholes, and which portion are the nice people?

Oh man now I need to read that behemoth of a thread...

qq more

Wow, Pachter is quite the nutjob. I wonder how this will go... hmmm...
This is the strangest thing

By the way, the swear challenge should end 12AM EST, right? That's my time zone. Gotta prepare something soon.

Kokonoe

Banned
The challenge ended at 11 AM this morning, congratulations. You have done in a week what I have done for a very long time, it is the path to enlightenment.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Someone pay for Stump to go. I respect him very much, and he's incredibly eloquent. He knows a lot about the site, so it's really best to keep him in tow just in case something interesting needs to be added.

With respect to the overall idea, and considering the people who cooked it up (and them having not asked EviLore beforehand until he'd expressed interest in doing an interview), I get the feeling that the segment isn't going to be a neutral and well-rounded discussion. While Pachter, Geoff, and other GT people have GAF accounts and could certainly state their pieces on what they feel their NeoGAF experiences have been line, the original idea of probably having just them discuss GAF as a whole with respect to "negativity" (to use Pachter's quotes) may not have been a fair segment if some posters and administrators hadn't expressed interest in sharing their side of the story. For example, sometimes I think GAF is too positive. Step into most OTs and you'll have posters talking about how much they adore a game, and if you bring up a few points describing stuff you don't like about a game, people get really defensive and end up chasing you out of the thread. It's entirely okay to say that stuff in an LTTP thread, but in an OT? Hahaha, dream on.

Anyway, editing and cutting could impact how the show is perceived, but I certainly don't think GT is Fox News-esque in that manner. I certainly hope they stay fair. Pachter's post doesn't exactly instill me with confidence.

Honestly, it sounds like just wanted a segment all to himself to act as an addendum for what he'd said on last year's E3 Bombcast (you know, the place where he behaved extremely unprofessionally and surprised me in such a way that made me lose some respect for him and his analysis).

Wow, Pachter is quite the nutjob. I wonder how this will go... hmmm...
This is the strangest thing

By the way, the swear challenge should end 12AM EST, right? That's my time zone. Gotta prepare something soon.
I think it's safe to end it now considering Kokonoe's just ended it. Congratulations.

Haha, this reminds me of when I was in high school and people used to try to get me to swear and I wouldn't.

qq more

Well then... I'll personally extend it to 12AM EST! I wasn't prepared!

HERE WE GOOOOO

EDIT: Stump is a good choice, I agree.

BlackJace

Someone pay for Stump to go. I respect him very much, and he's incredibly eloquent. He knows a lot about the site, so it's really best to keep him in tow just in case something interesting needs to be added.

With respect to the overall idea, and considering the people who cooked it up (and them having not asked EviLore beforehand until he'd expressed interest in doing an interview), I get the feeling that the segment isn't going to be a neutral and well-rounded discussion. While Pachter, Geoff, and other GT people have GAF accounts and could certainly state their pieces on what they feel their NeoGAF experiences have been line, the original idea of probably having just them discuss GAF as a whole with respect to "negativity" (to use Pachter's quotes) may not have been a fair segment if some posters and administrators hadn't expressed interest in sharing their side of the story. For example, sometimes I think GAF is too positive. Step into most OTs and you'll have posters talking about how much they adore a game, and if you bring up a few points describing stuff you don't like about a game, people get really defensive and end up chasing you out of the thread. It's entirely okay to say that stuff in an LTTP thread, but in an OT? Hahaha, dream on.

Anyway, editing and cutting could impact how the show is perceived, but I certainly don't think GT is Fox News-esque in that manner. I certainly hope they stay fair. Pachter's post doesn't exactly instill me with confidence.

Honestly, it sounds like just wanted a segment all to himself to act as an addendum for what he'd said on last year's E3 Bombcast (you know, the place where he behaved extremely unprofessionally and surprised me in such a way that made me lose some respect for him and his analysis).

I think it's safe to end it now considering Kokonoe's just ended it. Congratulations.

Haha, this reminds me of when I was in high school and people used to try to get me to swear and I wouldn't.

EviLore said he'd be willing to fly Stump out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BlackJace said:
EviLore said he'd be willing to fly Stump out.
This needs to be done. He's probably one of the, if not the, best people to represent the forum's userbase and moderator base.

And he constructively criticizes, and isn't outright negative about certain games.

Someone pay for qq to go and unleash all his pent up swearing at them.
It will be the funniest video ever.
This is also a good idea. Add in some of the forum's other angry people.

Well then... I'll personally extend it to 12AM EST! I wasn't prepared!

HERE WE GOOOOO
Oooooh. I'm impressed. Well, I'll be up and periodically checking, so we'll end it then.

qq more

Did your sister lose her cat?
Or do you have awesome theme music?

I wished I waited for their third version (in this case B/W2)... it sounded like a much better game than the underwhelming B/W 1. :/

Come to think of it, I ended up not liking R/S and D/P but enjoyed Emerald and Platinum. I think I'll really wait for the third version of Gen 6.

EDIT: Want to say I'm not implying that I'm not enjoying B/W. It's a good game but it could of have been soooo much better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nintendo needs to create a budget line for some of its DS games because then I'd buy B2/W2. I miss their budget lines. :(

I'm playing some Assassin's Creed Brotherhood again and I don't know why. I should be playing Alpha Protocol, but I feel like popping in Sleepy Dawgs after this. :lol

I've dropped too many games in the last few months:
-Tales of Xillia 2 - got bored
-Ni no Kuni - got bored
-Ys Celceta - felt a little disappointed with it because it really doesn't feel like Ys 4 at all; it's just really weird. It won't be a problem to you if you haven't played the original Ys 4 games, though, so... you guys will like it more than I did. Combat-wise, it feels better than Seven.
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star - felt disappointed and bored

I do plan to go back to them, though. I have to.

qq more

How far are you in Paper Mario, Schala? It really starts off boring but then it picks up later. Still not a great game, but it's not bad.

Noi

Popped Lords of Shadows in for a few more levels. This game continues to be awful no matter how far I get into it.

I'm playing some Assassin's Creed Brotherhood again and I don't know why. I should be playing Alpha Protocol, but I feel like popping in Sleepy Dawgs after this. :lol

I was just about to send you a message on PSN about this. I'd equate it to wanting to get an awful taste out of your mouth after you know what. :lol

I've dropped too many games in the last few months:
-Tales of Xillia 2 - got bored
-Ni no Kuni - got bored
-Ys Celceta - felt a little disappointed with it because it really doesn't feel like Ys 4 at all; it's just really weird. It won't be a problem to you if you haven't played the original Ys 4 games, though, so... you guys will like it more than I did. Combat-wise, it feels better than Seven.
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star - felt disappointed and bored

I do plan to go back to them, though. I have to.

This is perfect for the Four in February initiative.

I drop more games than I beat nowadays. Fuck forcing my way through a game just to say I beat it or get some fuckin' trophies. Bad games getted played for a hour, tossed aside, move on to the next thing. Too much entertainment at my finger tips to waste my increasingly shorter spare time with shitty video games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq more said:
How far are you in Paper Mario, Schala? It really starts off boring but then it picks up later. Still not a great game, but it's not bad.
Loop Loop River, I think?

It's a cute game, and the presentation is really nice. Stickers work. That's fine. I like that; I like their use in battle--that part I have little issues with. I like that it's really easy to get stickers too.

But man, it's a slog to play through. There's little sense in terms of stat progression, which was something I liked in M&L and PM. I also feel like there's a little sense of plot mechanics that drives the player through the overworld or why they're there. It's just like... they just put the overworld mechanics there just for the sake of being there. Or rather, the mechanics are there to make it obvious to the player that it's a Mario game. While that's fine and dandy, it's almost done to a point where they should have just made the game an outright mini platformer rather than a platformer with some RPG battle trappings. There's little cohesive connection between worlds, between what Mario had to do to save the world like he did in previous PM/M&L games, and the bosses in each world. There's little buildup to these bosses.

Essentially, Sticker Star just feels like a Mario platformer when that isn't necessarily the series' base intent. PM signifies "RPG mechanics" to me, and it isn't an RPG. So... what, then, is left? Narrative? But there's barely buildup and release of tension in this game. It's just a matter of experiencing whatever the game throws at you. The gameplay-drive? The battles are fine, but there's little post-battle that drives me to battle more other than earning Coins.

The game actually leaves me feeling somewhat empty, which is really odd. A game being pretty and having nice presentation doesn't save it from its flaws (my, it feels like I'm talking about a Level 5 game). In all honesty, it feels like SPM without a strong plot. It feels like a game that strips out other aspects of PM that make the games enjoyable, and then you're left with something rather superficial. It's not to my tastes.

But I still want to finish it for the sake of doing so.

Noi said:
Popped Lords of Shadows in for a few more levels. This game continues to be awful no matter how far I get into it.
I was going to ask you why you were playing Lords of Shadows when I thought you didn't like that game. And then I realized that you might be doing it for the platinum.

Noi said:
I was just about to send you a message on PSN about this. I'd equate it to wanting to get an awful taste out of your mouth after you know what. :lol
I did try Ni no Kuni again today! How perceptive of you!

Sega1991 said:
The only thing I am not comfortable with is posting them myself :p
I just wanted to ask because you seem kinda self-conscious about it. :p

Nocturnowl said:
This is perfect for the Four in February initiative.
But I wanna play things I actually like!

I just reached World 4 in Sticker Star after playing through all of World 3 practically non-stop. Finding the museum after going two worlds without doesn't help.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game.

Noi

I was going to ask you why you were playing Lords of Shadows when I thought you didn't like that game. And then I realized that you might be doing it for the platinum.

You answered that yourself!

But I still want to finish it for the sake of doing so.

I haven't beaten it yet. I don't like leaving games unfinished, even if it means having to put up with stuff I dislike. The game has to be Secret Rings-level bad or Dragon Age 2-level boring for me to consider dropping it entirely. I've got plenty of games that I don't have the platinum for cause I didn't like 'em that much, FYI. :V

I did try Ni no Kuni again today! How perceptive of you!

tumblr_m0fjbjfLiI1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

But I wanna play things I actually like!

Hey you were the one who said "I do plan to go back to them, though, I have to".

Can anyone here tell me if Bioshock 2 ever gets good? I mean its on my list but I can't help but feel the game is entirely unnecessary and sort of uninteresting.

TheOGB

Banned
So this thread came up in a thread about GAF's relationship with the industry (picture's not there anymore, but GAF is in the Special Thanks of Sonic Rivals, as well as "Mary Jane"). Anybody here in SonicGAF have Sonic Rivals/remember this?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How is Ni No Kuni?
Everyone likes it more than I do, if that means anything. Amir0x even likes it.

There are some people in the OT who have differing opinions but aren't really treated as though their complaints are entirely valid because the majority of people in the OT do like it. So that's why I haven't posted in the thread much.

Things I like:
-Music is really fantastic
-Presentation because it looks pretty!
-English voice acting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Japanese voice acting
-Drippy is the bestest
-Character animations! Good idle animations!
-Positional damage is a thing

Things I dislike:
-Battle system is clunky and its mechanics may not be executed in the manner that you'd like it to be executed
-Music can't loop well at all unless we're in a town sometimes; wasn't composed for the intent of looping sometimes
-basically leaving your other two party members out as bait and free running yourself actually seems to work; this is a no-no because your other two party members are utterly stupid and you should be penalized for free running for the majority of the time
-This game desperately needs more substantial AI/gambit option because man my party members are utterly stupid.
-Half the time positional damage doesn't seem to be the deciding outcome of your battles
-Cool down time between attacks/command selection is too long.
-Why the heck does it take the game hours to open up all the menu commands, open up a command for all-out, and to do other things that should have been available at the beginning of the game? I feel like I've been playing a tutorial for hours. Something another game this generation had issues with and it was a primary complaint for it
-Camera is too far away on the world map
-Camera is too close in dungeon/town areas
-omg backtracking (I need to go back through a dungeon to backtrack to another town in some instances; helps that enemies run away from me, but I should've gotten a spell by now for quick travel)
-Game's too easy; people who say it's hard haven't been using their Pokemon right, nor have they probably been evolving it or giving it food to boost its stats
-probably other stuff I'm forgetting about

I just reached World 4 in Sticker Star after playing through all of World 3 practically non-stop. Finding the museum after going two worlds without doesn't help.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game.
I think Sticker Star, in the end, is going to be a divisive PM game. Some people looking for traditional elements aren't necessarily going to like what they find, but others who just like it for it is will still have fun with it.

I haven't beaten it yet. I don't like leaving games unfinished, even if it means having to put up with stuff I dislike. The game has to be Secret Rings-level bad or Dragon Age 2-level boring for me to consider dropping it entirely. I've got plenty of games that I don't have the platinum for cause I didn't like 'em that much, FYI. :V
I feel similarly, except my reason is more along the lines of: "I'm not allowed to add it to a list unless I finish it off." Delivering commentary is something I like doing after getting halfway in, but final impressions should only be delivered after I finish it.

Hey you were the one who said "I do plan to go back to them, though, I have to".
To be fair, I was planning on going back to Ni no Kuni during my mid-February break provided I don't get surprised with anything that takes me out of the house.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So this thread came up in a thread about GAF's relationship with the industry (picture's not there anymore, but GAF is in the Special Thanks of Sonic Rivals, as well as "Mary Jane"). Anybody here in SonicGAF have Sonic Rivals/remember this?
GAF's credited as "NeoGaf". The credits scroll really really really fast.

I imagine that they would've stopped crediting GAF on things considering how people feel about their ports. :p

I am self-conscious about just about everything I do :V

But if people think I am good enough for something, I won't deny them their opinion
You need more confidence! I'll post the Black Knight bit next week when I do an update of that thread's OP again. I think it's a good Black Knight video, you play it well, and we don't see those often (ie: I'm not a huge fan of the Pokecapn LP of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom