• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have just finished watching Turtles Forever.

It makes Sonic Generations look REALLY bad as a "old school meets new school and hijinks ensue" concept.

Which is to say that if you are a fan of the Ninja Turtles it is pretty much the greatest thing ever made. I don't think anything can top it. I'm probably not being hyperbolic. It goes everywhere you'd want it to go, makes all the references you'd dream it could make. It is fan service perfected.

I am positively GIDDY right now.
That's why in the announcement thread, I said that my bar for the narrative was set at a Turtles Forever calibre of a reunion and reflective special. It was nicely-written, brought in a ton of stuff that every single Turtles audience can enjoy (even if they made the 1987 Turtles sound derpy and unintelligent at times), and it was incredibly cohesive with a very nice payoff.

I even gained an appreciation for the newer Turtles series as a result despite being so attached to the Mirage Turtles (omggggggggg that part was soooooo gooooood) and 1987 Turtles (kind of regrettable they didn't get the old voice actors to voice them like Cam Clarke and Rob Paulsen). It was just so wonderfully-directed.

So imagine my disappointment when Generations didn't even hit those heights, let alone the heights of even Colours' Saturday morning cartoon-esque plot. Even some of the CGs they used for the trailers weren't even used in the game, leading me to think that the game was rushed in some respect that they weren't included, or that I felt that there should have been more interaction between new/old characters (especially for those characters who should have had older counterparts). :/

It's a good effort, but it was ultimately disappointing when you have the writers and narrative elements at our disposal to carry out a rather lengthy reunion game.

qq more

It's almost over...

This was quite an interesting experiment to be honest.

EDIT: Wow, we're getting really close to the 2nd OT.

EDIT: Swear challenge is over

brb

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Congratulations, qq. I knew you could do it.

Also, that's something I wanted to bring up: what do you guys want to do for the next community thread? This thread was moreso a group effort, with each section being written by a different person and submitted to Beef when we were finished with it. Should we keep the original OP in its entirety and comprehensive format for the series in a similar way that PokeGAF kept theirs?

Shadow Hog said:
So, uh, I know the conditions of losing the bet were clear as crystal, but... what exactly did qq more win from this ordeal?
Knowledge that he doesn't need to swear to post with clarity?

That's a good question... Hmmmmm...

Congratulations, qq. I knew you could do it.

Also, that's something I wanted to bring up: what do you guys want to do for the next community thread? This thread was moreso a group effort, with each section being written by a different person and submitted to Beef when we were finished with it. Should we keep the original OP in its entirety and comprehensive format for the series in a similar way that PokeGAF kept theirs?

Knowledge that he doesn't need to swear to post with clarity?

That's a good question... Hmmmmm...

Yes, we want to show people we at least care about the franchise. Just let different people write the sections this time around.

qq more

Yeah, you all better come up with something! It's like you guys only thought about me losing as if I had no chance at this!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Alright, I'll do it. Someone make an avatar for me, then, since I ended up setting some rules and boundaries for the challenge.

qq shouldn't have to change his avatar, as wonderful as it is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
YG13N3X.png

The one I added an alpha channel to seems to come out fine here.

Edit: tigger's still choosing my avatar, or should I choose it myself?

qq more

you guys and your final fantasies

...whats the best final fantasy to start for beginners by the way? i feel that starting with FFV wasn't the brightest idea (I pretty much played it just for co-op on ZSNES netplay)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I get the feeling that I should lay off the FF talk just because of this avatar alone. :/

Can't be worse than Squall.

:(
Squall's was actually a somewhat better character in the Japanese version than he was in the English version based on the localization and writing, though. He really doesn't say "whatever" a lot like he does in the English version.

This was before Richard Honeywood took over Squaresoft's localization direction, iirc.

She does magic with avatars!
Seriously.

GAMERG0D

...whats the best final fantasy to start for beginners by the way? i feel that starting with FFV wasn't the brightest idea (I pretty much played it just for co-op on ZSNES netplay)
X would be the easiest but I wouldn't say it's the best. I'd say IV or VI.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Honestly? The best games to start with are probably FF4, FF7, and FF10. Many people have started with them and progressed through the series because of their reliance on narrative and how they ease the player into the various game systems. They're relatively easy too, so players will probably have little issues with them.

I have little qualms about people starting off with FF7 because it introduces them to the new cinematic direction of FF, and it has just enough character differentiation and character customization (taking from the approaches in FF5 and FF6) to allow a player to learn about how they can customize non-blank slate characters in FF. You can easily see this approach with FF10, actually, but it's more of a linear approach to the storytelling and character customization (unless you're playing the international version).

FF4... depends on the player. It's easy, linear, and you're locked into character classes, so there's less player agency. If player agency isn't your thing, then don't bother with FF4 and go right to FF7 instead. A lot of people have said it's their first FF and they ended up liking the series for its narrative elements.

I ended up liking the series in the long run for its gameplay elements rather than its narrative elements (because I find some of it outright silly outside of some of the thematic stuff).

qq more

I have no interest in FF10 because I cannot stand Tidus. I really can't. I might get over that and get into that someday... maybe. Also, I always figured 4 or 6 was the best to go with, I always had interest in them... especially 6. Kefka looks like a real cool villain. Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't get the complaints of Tidus, I liked him as a protagonist and while he had his flaws, I liked his general sunny disposition...I just cringe at the laughing scene so much.

GAMERG0D

I played in this order:

VIII or I > VII > X > II > IV > V > III > VI > XIII > IX

IV, VI, VII, and VIII are my favorites.

Have yet to play XII. I still need to beat V, IX, and XIII. Don't really care for the MMOs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't get the complaints of Tidus, I liked him as a protagonist and while he had his flaws, I liked his general sunny disposition...I just cringe at the laughing scene so much.
It's because he's an idiot. I can't stand his personality.

But I do like how he's executed as a narrative element to make the player learn about Spira. It's partially because of him that that world is one of Squaresoft's best and most cohesive game worlds. And I don't need reams of text in a game's datalog to know everything about it!

I just can't stand how he looks for some reason. It might be the face...
He's Meg Ryan.

I just can't stand how he looks for some reason. It might be the face...

His outfit is out there, I don't know what to make of it...and yet I still like it for some weird reason. His face is...kind of dorky and goofy looking and yet I can't hate it!

It's because he's an idiot. I can't stand his personality.

But I do like how he's executed as a narrative element to make the player learn about Spira. It's partially because of him that that world is one of Squaresoft's best and most cohesive game worlds. And I don't need reams of text in a game's datalog to know everything about it!

He's Meg Ryan.

Touche. And sorry but Zidane looks like Meg Ryan more. Yet he's even just as awesome as Tidus! Yes there is no help for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom