• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can count the JRPGs I've played on both hands, but that guy with the glasses and his arm in a sling or some shit was easily the coolest FF dude

Quackula

FF10 is honestly one of my favorites. Yes, the characters are all idiots, the villain is lame, the story is kinda meh, the game is almost entirely walking along a linear path, the voice acting is mediocre at best (and it gets pretty terrible with the two main characters), but...

...the battle system is fast paced and damn fun. The game is also paced well enough that you glide from one event to the next and it holds your interest. So yeah...

I've played every FF game except for the Famicom/NES versions of II and III, X-2, the MMOs, and XIII and its sequels.

Noi

I peek out from getting creeped out by Corpse Party to this. I think Schala with a Celes avatar might be even creepier than that game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I hear changing avatars is the "in" thing now
I didn't choose this! D:

I played in this order:

VIII or I > VII > X > II > IV > V > III > VI > XIII > IX

IV, VI, VII, and VIII are my favorites.

Have yet to play XII. I still need to beat V, IX, and XIII. Don't really care for the MMOs.
I played...

FF1 > FF4 > (FFMQ) > A little bit of FF6 > FF7 > FF5 (fantranslated) > FF8 > FF2 > FF3 > FF9 > FF10 > FF10-2 > FF11 until I didn't want to pay a subscription anymore > FF6 > FF12 > FF13 > FF13-2

I've only played a little bit of FF14 with my friend's character and that was when the game was really bad.

I did write up a post about which FFs I played a long time ago, but that list is outdated now. I think this might be updated, somewhat?

Final Fantasy - beaten many times (NES/PS1/PSP/GBA)
Final Fantasy II - beaten a few times (PSP/FC vers) - I must be weird because I really like FF2. Just don't grind like a madman by beating up your teammates and everything will be peachy.
Final Fantasy III - beaten twice (FC/DS)
Final Fantasy IV - I don't even remember how many times I've played and beaten FFIV (SNES/PSX/GBA/DS/PSP)
Final Fantasy V - beaten several times; one of my faves (SFC/GBA)
Final Fantasy VI - beaten several times (SNES/GBA)
Final Fantasy VII - beaten tons and tons of times (PC/PSX)
Final Fantasy VIII - beaten multiple times (PSX)
Final Fantasy IX - beaten many times, and it's my favourite entry in the series (PSX)
Final Fantasy X - beaten several times (vanilla PS2)
Final Fantasy X-2 - Edit: This will be four times now. Beaten four times; one of my faves (own vanilla PS2/borrowed Int'l PS2)
Final Fantasy XI - played, but not beaten
Final Fantasy XII - beat twice (vanilla PS2/IZJS PS2)
Final Fantasy XIII - beat twice (and never again); platinum run.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - beaten; platinum run
Final Fantasy XIV - NOPE. (played a bit with my friend's character; did not like what I had sampled at all.)

Spinoffs
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - beat every summer or so (SNES)
Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Heroes of Light - Beaten (DS)
Dissidia - Beaten (PSP)
Dissidia Duodenum - It's a better name! Beaten (PSP)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Beaten (GCN)
FFCC: Ring of Fates - Beaten (DS)
FFCC: Echoes of Time - Beaten (DS)
FFCC: The Crystal Bearers - Beaten (Wii)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Beaten (DS)
Final Fantasy Tactics - Beaten twice (PSX)
Ehrgeiz - Beaten once (PSX)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - Beaten (PSP)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Beaten (GBA)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - Beaten (DS)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Beaten twice (WiiWare/PSP)
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus - Beaten. (PS2)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Beaten. (PSP)
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 - beaten (ie: I rented it) (PSX)
Chocobo Racing - played (rented) (PSX)
Chocobo Tales - beaten (DS)
Chocobo's Dungeon - beaten (Wii)
Crystal Defenders R1 - played the demo (PS3)

I've seen... Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within on opening day, Final Fantasy Unlimited, and Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals (which I rented multiple times when I was a kid).

The Game Boy games don't count because they're SaGa and Seiken Densetsu games. Kingdom Hearts and Itadaki Street are their own beasts.

Still waiting on Type-0 as well (ie: if it's worth importing at the moment, or should I just wait for an inevitable English version).

Never Played:
VII Snowboarding
Chocobo World
Crystal Defenders R2
Chocobo's Dungeon 1
Before Crisis
Final Fantasy Legends: Hikari to Yami no Senshi
Final Fantasy Brigade
Final Fantasy: All the Bravest
My Life as a King
My Life as a Dark Lord
Chocobo Stallion
Dice de Chocobo
Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book
Any other Chocobo game I've missed
Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode
Those games based on Final Fantasy Unlimited (the cellphone game and the PC game)

I used to be a huge FF fan when I was younger, but then I started falling in love with Suikoden more and more. It also doesn't help that the series is where it is at present.

I peek out from getting creeped out by Corpse Party to this. I think Schala with a Celes avatar might be even creepier than that game.
Rosa. :|

Celes is this:
7B52L13.png

Sciz

The regis cruising in the Pikamobile stays forever.

So I hear changing avatars is the "in" thing now

Man, I miss H*R. I guess the Chapmans just burned out on it after so long.

Also, I always figured 4 or 6 was the best to go with, I always had interest in them... especially 6. Kefka looks like a real cool villain. Thanks for the suggestions!
Fair warning, starting with FF6 means it's all downhill from there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The saddest thing is that this list is now horribly outdated. I've played ToDR, a bunch of other games I'd been meaning to get to on that list, and a few other new ones. And I forgot a bunch of games on that list, especially all the Genesis, PCE, and Saturn stuff.

Pretty sure Aeana's list is outdated too.

Woops, I got my blondes mixed up. (It's 3 AM here lemme alone) Rosa cracks me up even more!

I would have picked an Avatar Kingdom-styled FF4 character for maximum pain.
Why would you do that to me?

Both you and kayos are having a field day. :(((((((((((

GAMERG0D

That's quite a post. I'll do a quick breakdown.

Final Fantasy - beaten a couple times (GBA/PSP)
Final Fantasy II - beaten once (GBA)
Final Fantasy III - beaten once (DS)
Final Fantasy IV - beaten a lot of times (GBA/PSP)
Final Fantasy V - haven't beaten, at ExDeath's castle (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI - beaten once (GBA)
Final Fantasy VII - beaten once, got to Junon on PC (PC/PSX)
Final Fantasy VIII - beaten at least 3 times (PSX)
Final Fantasy IX - haven't beaten, at the start of the second disc (PSX)
Final Fantasy X - beaten once several years ago (PS2)
Final Fantasy X-2 - haven't beaten, played very little (PS2)
Final Fantasy XI - never played
Final Fantasy XII - never played
Final Fantasy XIII - haven't beaten, at Bahamut fight
Final Fantasy XIV - never played

I might just start fresh and do a marathon of the whole main series soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
no i mean this thread

though now you mention it... ive been finding myself posting less and less outside of here lately
That's because everyone might be asleep. It's 2AM EST, you know! :p

It think towards the end of the challenge, people found that you were going to pull it off anyway.

Noi

The saddest thing is that this list is now horribly outdated. I've played ToDR, a bunch of other games I'd been meaning to get to on that list, and a few other new ones. And I forgot a bunch of games on that list, especially all the Genesis, PCE, and Saturn stuff.

Pretty sure Aeana's list is outdated too.

Why would you do that to me?

Both you and kayos are having a field day. :(((((((((((

I should do one of those those there wouldnt be nearly as many x*'s in it. Though there's probably quite a few games that I'd forget entirely. I could probably just link to my Backloggery, though thats just games I already own. I'll do an FF one here in the morning.

It's not every day that someone loses an avatar bet! Gotta milk it for all it's worth.

im disappointed that barely anyone reacted to my avatar change :lol

It'd be more shocking if we hadn't seen it already. :V

qq more

So... anyone doing that 4 games for Feburary challenge?

I'm gonna go crazy and double that for myself. 4 sounds too easy, so I'm going to beat 8 games this month! What do you guys think?

Current roster:
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Pokemon Black
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Wario World
New Super Mario Bros U (I never finished this game)

I'll think of 3 more

EDIT: Oh yeah and if I fail the challenge should I get an avatar change? ...Man I think I'm becoming addicted to challenging myself. :lol

I feel like the Retsupurae for the Sonic fan film gives me the saddest shoutout in the world.

Chip starts rattling off Sonic's shitty friends and all of a sudden he blurts out "Or Blaze the Hedgehog or whatever".

and then like a minute later he's trying to come up with better plots for the Sonic movie "Oh I know, what if you killed Tails? That would be edgy and mature."

Which, I mean, to most people on GAF means absolutely nothing. But for the few who have known me for a long time, that last one might hold particular meaning with regards to a project I have thankfully abandoned.

But it is entirely possible and more than likely just a coincidence. But it still feels bad, man.

Nert

So... anyone doing that 4 games for Feburary challenge?

Yep. I'm working on FFVI as I type this. After that, I'm planning on Binary Domain, Hitman: Blood Money, and Devil May Cry 3 SE. I don't really have high expectations for Binary Domain, but the other three are highly regarded and have been on my shame list for a while now. If I don't get RPG fatigued after playing two Final Fantasy games in a row, I might put off Binary Domain and play Earthbound (for the first time) instead.

Also, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is great! I hope that you enjoy it.

qq more

Yep. I'm working on FFVI as I type this. After that, I'm planning on Binary Domain, Hitman: Blood Money, and Devil May Cry 3 SE. I don't really have high expectations for Binary Domain, but the other three are highly regarded and have been on my shame list for a while now. If I don't get RPG fatigued after playing two Final Fantasy games in a row, I might put off Binary Domain and play Earthbound (for the first time) instead.

Also, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is great! I hope that you enjoy it.

Sure am! It's such a great game. I really want a Sonic RPG game that has as much quality as this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
EDIT: Oh yeah and if I fail the challenge should I get an avatar change? ...Man I think I'm becoming addicted to challenging myself. :lol
Don't be like kayos and throw yourself into an avatar bet often because your luck might start to run out.

mannnnn did i become predictable?

i need to step up my game sometime
A little, lol. I'm just glad you could swear again.

And heeeeeey you said you'd post a rant!

Final Fantasy V - haven't beaten, at ExDeath's castle (GBA)
Final Fantasy IX - haven't beaten, at the start of the second disc (PSX)
Final Fantasy X-2 - haven't beaten, played very little (PS2)
Final Fantasy XIII - haven't beaten, at Bahamut fight
If you plan on playing through the entire series, you're always free to join us in the anniversary playthrough thread! You might burn yourself out, though.

Also, for these ones you haven't beaten, is it because of disinterest in general or difficulty?

I should do one of those those there wouldnt be nearly as many x*'s in it. Though there's probably quite a few games that I'd forget entirely. I could probably just link to my Backloggery, though thats just games I already own. I'll do an FF one here in the morning.

It's not every day that someone loses an avatar bet! Gotta milk it for all it's worth.
:(

I could probably rattle off the stuff I've beaten, but I'd always forget things. That's kinda why I'd rather not prefer to have something like a Backloggery or something. I'd feel kinda bad about playing so many games.

And it's weird for me to come to terms with because I was really active when I was younger (well, I'm still active, but I don't play games as much as I did back then because I'm busier now) I just had more time to devote to games before I went for baseball practice, music lessons, or swimming lessons. And I usually finished the homework my parents assigned me pretty fast before playing. But I dunno. If I could count all the hours I spent sitting on my butt playing games rather than doing something else... :/

I feel like the Retsupurae for the Sonic fan film gives me the saddest shoutout in the world.

Chip starts rattling off Sonic's shitty friends and all of a sudden he blurts out "Or Blaze the Hedgehog or whatever".

and then like a minute later he's trying to come up with better plots for the Sonic movie "Oh I know, what if you killed Tails? That would be edgy and mature."

Which, I mean, to most people on GAF means absolutely nothing. But for the few who have known me for a long time, that last one might hold particular meaning with regards to a project I have thankfully abandoned.

But it is entirely possible and more than likely just a coincidence. But it still feels bad, man.
I think it's mostly coincidence (especially that bit about killing Tails just because the film really went into the 'taking itself too seriously' territory), but you shouldn't worry too much about it. I think Blaze the Hedgehog generally comes from the fact that the plays mostly like Sonic, and partially because people are familiar with your name moreso than her Blaze the Cat moniker.

Really, I wouldn't be too broken up about it. Cheer up.

qq more

Don't be like kayos and throw yourself into an avatar bet often because your luck might start to run out.

A little, lol. I'm just glad you could swear again.

And heeeeeey you said you'd post a rant!

Well, it's honestly kind of fun... it motivates me! If I lose then oh well! Least it isn't a ban bet!

I was honestly going to write up a rant but... I've kind of chilled out rather quickly and don't feel like ranting now. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wonder how many times I've played Sonic 3&K and Sonic 2, now that we're talking about stuff like this. Sonic 2 is one of the games I like to choose to speedrun. Sonic 3&K is a game I've played incredibly often as well.

Like, how many times have you guys beaten the Genesis/Mega Drive games?

Well, it's honestly kind of fun... it motivates me! If I lose then oh well! Least it isn't a ban bet!

I was honestly going to write up a rant but... I've kind of chilled out rather quickly and don't feel like ranting now. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
That's what kayos said until he started losing his bets. Nah, don't bother writing something up if you don't feel like it. It'll take long. I do feel irritated with some of the content in the Nintendo threads, though, but that's from stuff on both sides. We're really starting to get into console wars-esque stuff, and it makes portions of Gaming threads unreadable.

I might give that 4 games in February a shot since I have a week off in the middle of the month. I really don't want to play Xillia 2, though. I'm halfway through Fire Emblem: Awakening, I started Alpha Protocol, and I'll pick Sticker Star and Ni no Kuni as the other games I put down.

Edit: This thread in OT is amazing. Who believes this shit? Bahahahaha.

Noi

Morning! I'm not sure how I manage to sleep well during nights where I play Corpse Party before going to bed, but whatever.

My order of playing these was all over the place.

FF7 > FF4 > FF9 > FF8 > FF1 > FF10 > FF10-2 > FF12 > FF3 > FF5 > FF13 > FF11 > FF14 > FF13-2 > FF6

I actually started the Backloggery FFXI Linkshell that's featured in the GAF OT for it along with one of the Backloggery's owners, imagine my surprise when I peek in there and see it in the banner for the thread. Wish I'd played it more, but it kind of conflicts with my time spent on other games.

And the ones I've beaten. Gone through it only once unless noted otherwise -
Final Fantasy (NES/PS1/PSP/GBA)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy IV - (SNES/PS1/GBA/DS/PSP)
Final Fantasy V - (GBA) Four Job Fiesta for two years now! Hard mode Berserker Risk run was sweeeeet.
Final Fantasy VI - Played on SNES, battery died, ended up beating it on PS1
Final Fantasy VII - Too many times, including one No-Materia run, all on PS1
Final Fantasy VIII - (PS1)
Final Fantasy IX - (PS1) Two times.
Final Fantasy X - (Vanilla PS2) Twice.
Final Fantasy X-2 - (Vanilla PS2.) Need to play this again!
Final Fantasy XI - Played, but didn't even see the Shadow Lord. :(
Final Fantasy XII - Once on Vanilla PS2, haven't felt like going for it again.
Final Fantasy XIII - Got the Platinum in one run. Not really compelled to play it again.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Beat it and most of the DLC.
Final Fantasy XIV - Played for a while, waiting on 2.0.

Spinoffs
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - (SNES) Beaten just once. I actually got stuck the first time I played it...
Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Heroes of Light - (DS)
Dissidia - (PSP) Got all the Accomplishments on this. ._.
Dissidia Duodenum - (PSP) Spent even more time than the first. .____.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - (GCN)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - (DS)
Final Fantasy Tactics - (PS1) Twice
Ehrgeiz - (PS1) lol
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - (GBA)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - Played, but got pretty bored of it. (DS)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Made it to the end on WiiWare, was severely underleveled and got stuck. :(
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus - (PS2) Beaten Twice!
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - (PSP)
Crystal Defenders R1 - (PS3)
Final Fantasy Brigade - It's shit.
FFCC: My Life as a King (WiiWare)
FFCC: My Life as a Dark Lord (WiiWare)

Waiting for the XIII catastrophe to end. ._.

I think I played: IV -> VI -> VII -> VIII -> X -> IX -> I -> *II -> XIII

I have the I & II remakes for PS1, but I only played the first five minutes of II. Not really motivated to go back, either.

Haven't really gotten around to III, I keep putting off playing X-2 for whatever reason, I don't really have interest in playing XII, and I'm damn sure not getting XIII-2.

BHZ Mayor

I wonder how many times I've played Sonic 3&K and Sonic 2, now that we're talking about stuff like this. Sonic 2 is one of the games I like to choose to speedrun. Sonic 3&K is a game I've played incredibly often as well.

Like, how many times have you guys beaten the Genesis/Mega Drive games?

I've beaten all 3 games (Sonic 3&K is one game as far as I'm concerned) countless times, but I've never beaten 1 and 2 with all the emeralds without the level select for 1 or 4-1-2-6 for 2.

I didn't choose this! D:
On the other hand, I did choose this. Sorry, Mike, but you'd been screaming at the Internet through my avatar for long enough; was time for a change.

Besides, Homsar's always been my favorite song from the sixties.

Man, I miss H*R. I guess the Chapmans just burned out on it after so long.
IIRC it stopped shortly after one of The Brothers Chaps (or perhaps both?) had children. I'm guessing that while HSR was enough to pay the bills when they were on their own, it wasn't enough to raise kids.

Hence why they started working on Yo Gabba Gabba, The Aquabats Super Show, Gravity Falls, some unknown original project for Disney, etc.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've beaten all 3 games (Sonic 3&K is one game as far as I'm concerned) countless times, but I've never beaten 1 and 2 with all the emeralds without the level select for 1 or 4-1-2-6 for 2.
Ahaha, let's get this out of the way because I've seen some people on gaming side refute it: Sonic 3&K is one game, and we're all in agreement, right?

It was designed that way, anyway.

I find it much easier to replay platformers for obvious reasons (they're short, easier to pick up and play than RPGs, etc.).

Maaaaan, fuck the water segments in ASR Transformed.
I think they take getting used to after a while or they seem to be a love it or hate it sorta thing because I ended up liking the physics changes and gameplay changes each fraction of the stages introduced. I don't think it's for everyone, but I do think it's a good start towards active track/car transforming even if it's not perfect.

Granted, racers aren't really my genre, so I could be wrong.

Dissidia Duodenum - (PSP) Spent even more time than the first. .____.
I like that you kept my name for it, but what happened to 13-2, since I know you played it? :p

Noi

Forgot to add it! Sometimes I wish I didn't play it though just to be willfully ignorant.

And I copied and edited your list cause it had a lot of crossover, but I did like your name for Duodenum. :p

Ahaha, let's get this out of the way because I've seen some people on gaming side refute it: Sonic 3&K is one game, and we're all in agreement, right?

It was designed that way, anyway.
That is most assuredly my stance on the matter, yes. If you're playing Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately, you're doing it wrong. (Although you do get the better credits music, at least.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That is most assuredly my stance on the matter, yes. If you're playing Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately, you're doing it wrong. (Although you do get the better credits music, at least.)
I suppose people feel that they should be separate because you get some music changes where they don't necessarily want them? It makes sense, but the games were designed as one whole.

What happened to:
I honestly feel like people aren't taking me seriously in other threads thanks to the avatar in question.

In some cases, I feel like they think I'm another poster since some of them browse via avatar as opposed to username.

Best parts IMO, I love the physics when you nail tiny waves as jumps and such.
the real mystery is why in multiplayer or online you sometimes get these killer tidal waves turn up out of nowhere enabling you to make like 8 flips in the air time, i'd love to see those in single player but all the waves there are piddle.

I fuckin' hate the watercraft controls in All-Stars Transformed. They make DKR's hovercraft look good.

Don't make any kind of sudden adjustments like you would with a car or a plane, because it won't work.
Just to see if i'm not alone we all held R constantly when using hovercrafts in DKR right? it was the only way to turn i'm sure.

In some cases, I feel like they think I'm another poster since some of them browse via avatar as opposed to username.
A new member of Sonic Gaf, welcome!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

qq more

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'M JEALOUS YOU HAVE THESE REACTIONS
Post in gaming side more. :p

Honestly, so this is what happens when you're relatively new as a junior or if you don't really have much notoriety on GAF. It's a shame, really. I've seen a lot of juniors post some good, substantial posts in various threads only for them to be ignored because they either don't have an avatar, aren't really recognized on the site, or they're sadly left at the bottom of the page.

It's weird. It's only been 2 years since I joined GAF, but since GAF was a little smaller back then, I guess it was easier to establish yourself? Now junior members aren't let in annually anymore, so GAF's gotten a little bigger since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom