• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

They both look too happy. No sale.

i changed my mind

chaobeef.png

OMG Aero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUj80JdwBXA

That hilariously bad Sonic movie just got retsupuraed
So this is the first time I watched that movie and holy shit that looked fucking terrible.
I think my favourite part is the ending, it's like at that point the creator realised how bad the movie was and just stopped in the middle of it.

But hey, at least it reminded me of the other Sonic movie, that was great.
loooks like we might be getting sonic adventure 3

oh god oh god oh god

xD, I knew Iizuka-san wouldn't let us down
Welp looks like Sonic is back to being shitty again.
It was nice knowing you SonicGAF, you were a cool bunch of people.

Heropon

Any tips for beating Silver in Sonic Generations 3DS? I can't stand that teleporting furball.

By the way, nice avatar, Schala.

So because Nert and Schala had good things to say about the game and its soundtrack I got Dustforce the other week, here are exciting thoughts sprouting from my brain to your screens which sounds kind of nasty when put like that.

I'd like to say I finished it but Dustforce is not a game that wants any old player to reach the finish line if there actually is one but regardless of this point it's a pretty fun game.
Gameplay wise its focus on momentum and keeping a combo from sweeping up the various trails of mess that litters the stages give Dustforce its own distinct feel, the characters are nimble due to a combination of fast flowing gameplay, air dashes, wall running, ceiling...swinging? anyway point is that it's a rather acrobatic take on things.

The visuals are have a simple style yet it's pretty artful as well and pleasing to look at though the lab and mansion locations feel a bit drab compared to the forest and city, the characters animate smoothly with some snappy twirls occasionally when jumping around, there's something enjoyable about the way the characters animate when sweeping through the litter as you dash through it.
When the stars align Dustforce is exhilarating fun, sliding down a slope to leap a chasm, hit the wall on the other side and wall run and jump up it while hitting every trail of dust has an essence of what you could call pure platforming.

Unfortunately it's not all perfect in Dustforce land, the game is pretty open with all the worlds readily available, some stages are locked off by keys, you earn keys be performing well in stages, at first this seems like a nice way to give freedom of choice but it actually kind of sucks for numerous reasons.
Firstly stages have no difficulty rating aside from the scaling of unlocked doors, normal locks and gold locks, between four worlds the difficulty jumps around all over the place and even with the lock criteria to gauge some kind of difficulty level it's not ideal, one gold door I opened in the city area has left me feeling cheated out of a key because the stage is pure nails.
The bigger problem here is the more keys you get the harder it is to earn more, i've hit a wall at this point with quite a few levels locked (mainly in the mansion) and my key opportunities are bordering on frustration, it's like i've got almost all the normal keys but I have to double S rank the basic stages to get the last few keys and then i'll have to do the same with the tougher stages and so on.

See in its later stages Dustforce starts channelling some straight up Super Meat Boy style design, spikes everywhere, minimal margin for error and stages here are like the length of 4 SMB stages in one. So when the game asks you to start getting A-S ranks for going through an entire stage without buggering up and it's bordering on multiple sections of platforming hell the game is basically asking for perfection, some of these stages I can't even do in general let alone perfect runs. The usually slick controls get finicky when you're given a tiny character sized bit of wall to not just jump to but both run up and jump off with perfect timing to avoid a spiky demise in a chain of similar small platforms to follow.
There's 4 characters but the game doesn't tell you a damn thing about their attributes, I think the old man jumps higher, the little girl has the worst jumps but more rapid attacks but even this i've only recently figured out when I noticed that they bugger up the precision of later stage design.
Beating these tougher stages works towards Red keys of which I earned 3, then I saw the sea of like 10 red locks in a row and figured that my dream of game completion was over.

Last complaint is enemies, they often go against the games flow, they absorb a stupid amount of damage for a game like this, they should really just drop in like one heavy attack, having to halt momentum to slowly work down a stone statue just doesn't feel right at all.

Okay that was a lot of negative points there but it's because I really feel this game could've been a bit stronger had they not placed such an emphasis on perfection for simply unlocking the games stages, as I said at the start I don't really know the goal here, I just assume behind the corridor of red locks is...something?
Difficulty quirks and odd enemy usage aside though it's great fun, this here is Sonic Gaf who are surely accustomed to both momentum and scoring systems in platformers, this is something you should all look into if you have an interest in the genre as a whole.
A solid 8/10 game i'd say.

Soundtrack
Even when the game hit me with some straight up cruel level design I rarely got angry and i'm going to benefit the games soundtrack for this more than myself. It's often mellow and relaxing overall, the melodies aren't overly powerful either which gives them a nice ambient feel perfect for this sort of game as well as complimenting the visual style pretty well.
As of right now my favourite tracks are Cider Time, Swimming while it Rains and Fifty FPS Forest.
Specifically I must mention how much I love stuff like the rain sound effects used in Swimming While it Rains, adds a nice atmosphere to the music
just like in the DKC games

Random side note: I purchased Hotline Miami around the same time and I thought it was freaking awesome had I got around to both of these earlier they would've made my GotY list. Dustforce sneaking in around the bottom, Hotline Miami in the top half.

Okay i'm done, back to whatever it is we do here.

Heropon

Thanks to your insightful review I've tried searching it in Steam and I've found Half Minute Hero for 2.37 euros. Thanks! I should open steam more often to see the sales...

Nert

That was a great post on Dustforce. I actually ended up placing it towards the bottom of my GOTY list for many of the reasons that you cited. The open-ended nature of the level selection felt more obtuse than liberating and the game's mechanics were slightly too dense for my taste. I'm not adverse to difficult platformers, but I sometimes felt like I was struggling with the controls more than I was engaging with the level design.

Having said that, I obviously still liked the game quite a bit and I think it was the best platformer released last year. Dustforce speed run videos are a lot of fun to watch, too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Any tips for beating Silver in Sonic Generations 3DS? I can't stand that teleporting furball.

By the way, nice avatar, Schala.
:|

Silver in Generations 3DS is basically a race akin to Sonic Rivals, iirc. You jump and air dash to dodge his attacks. It's more along the lines of boost to win at times because if you get too far ahead, he'll teleport ahead of you, but you can hit him, iirc.

hey dark schala turns out someone recorded the full broadcast http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?list=U...M&feature=share&list=UULN6GCB4ZRyBe2baMqFZlHA

you should.tell us what Iizuka says when you get time
Yeah, I'll try to do it when I have more time (so... maybe Friday or the weekend).

But first...

what is this

tbMC9u4.png

Sonic looks PISSED.

MA3Rmm3.jpg

AHHHH WHAT IS THAT THING

And ohhhhh, derp. This was a 24-hour marathon. They played Puyo Puyo for 24 hours. This was never going to be about Sonic in the first place. They just brought people in to act as filler.

oh god why would you leave the text on the screen when you record it. :(((((

Specifically I must mention how much I love stuff like the rain sound effects used in Swimming While it Rains, adds a nice atmosphere to the music
just like in the DKC games
Oh you just had to throw that in there to spite me. :p

Good post. I agree with some of your points of contention, but I guess I like my games more on the difficulty side, so that's why I notched it up to halfway through my GotY post rather than keeping it at the latter end (though to be fair, there weren't a lot of games last year I was super-impressed with either). IMO, it's still one of the better platformers released last year, and I'm still impressed with the work done on it from a presentation and momentum standpoint.

That was a great post on Dustforce. I actually ended up placing it towards the bottom of my GOTY list for many of the reasons that you cited. The open-ended nature of the level selection felt more obtuse than liberating and the game's mechanics were slightly too dense for my taste. I'm not adverse to difficult platformers, but I sometimes felt like I was struggling with the controls more than I was engaging with the level design.

Having said that, I obviously still liked the game quite a bit and I think it was the best platformer released last year. Dustforce speed run videos are a lot of fun to watch, too.
Oh yeah, you posted a speed run vid here last week, I need to check it out.
I'm a sucker for Mario style so NSMBU still takes my top platformer spot but it's nice to go from something familiar like that to something more unique like Dustforce.
Slightly related point but I really feel like when a stages difficulty comes from spikes everywhere that the stage is just creatively bankrupt regarding approaches to difficulty.

Oh you just had to throw that in there to spite me. :p

Good post. I agree with some of your points of contention, but I guess I like my games more on the difficulty side, so that's why I notched it up to halfway through my GotY post rather than keeping it at the latter end (though to be fair, there weren't a lot of games last year I was super-impressed with either). IMO, it's still one of the better platformers released last year, and I'm still impressed with the work done on it from a presentation and momentum standpoint.
You may not like that last point but it doesn't make it any less true!
You know there's not enough rain in platformers.

Now the real question is did you breach the corridor of red locks? TELL ME WHAT LIES BEYOND! I'm not as tough as I used to be with difficulty levels.

Aw, man, I just committed to Homsar, and then this has to happen.

Seriously considering holding off Homsar for later and using this instead.

Oh, and Beef, I went ahead and made crying chao avatars for you. Even included Agumon in one (since I think that's the guy your avatars tend to feature - I dunno, I'm not into Digimon), although I'm also including a blank if you've got better art for the situation.

beefhateschao6ekrs.png
beefhateschaowithagumoqjvi.png

Noi

I was, but an unexpected family matter came up. I've sworn to my buddies I won't flake next year though.

Aww, a shame. PAX East is the last time I get to fly out in a while, didn't even consider meeting up with GAFers until like a minute ago when I confirmed my flight.

Aw, man, I just committed to Homsar, and then this has to happen.

Seriously considering holding off Homsar for later and using this instead.

Oh, and Beef, I went ahead and made crying chao avatars for you. Even included Agumon in one (since I think that's the guy your avatars tend to feature - I dunno, I'm not into Digimon), although I'm also including a blank if you've got better art for the situation.

beefhateschao6ekrs.png
beefhateschaowithagumoqjvi.png

I am VERY tempted to use that second one.

BlackJace

Aww, a shame. PAX East is the last time I get to fly out in a while, didn't even consider meeting up with GAFers until like a minute ago when I confirmed my flight.

Try asking around in threads, or maybe make a quick one asking if anyone going wants a meetup.

I considered going to PAX East to meet up with other online friends, but hesitated too long, such that all the three day passes were sold out already.

Maybe 2014.

I'm disappointed that Puyo Puyo marathon wasn't instead just a fat guy cosplaying as Eggman playing Mean Bean Machine for 24 hours straight.

And the kicker: that Steam chat in the opening has a link to a PewDiePie video.

Somebody pointed out that that Pokemon slideshow-of-a-video that Slowbeef provided the "narration" for was also a PewDiePie subscriber, and therefore he must be digging through PDP's most recent subscribers to find his awful LPs lately. I dunno if that's true, but god damn if it isn't working if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom