• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to say yes, but aside from Nocturnowl's suggestion of Hill Top Zone, I can't think of any.

If Sonic Adventure 3 is about Sonic running around the continental US (and maybe Canada/Alaska/Hawaii/Mexico, for variety), then maybe we'll finally get some.
Sonic should channel some Rayman Origins and have fast paced bluegrass music at some point, it would fit somewhere i'm sure.

I can see what you mean especially about the funky Sonic feel, however to say it doesn't feel like Sonic...well, that depends on what Sonic means to you.

The concept of Unleashed was "world adventure", so keeping that concept in mind I don't think it would have been appropriate to bring that sound to the game. I would say the use of various instrumentation and genre's was needed to nail the feeling of a globe trotting adventure and I feel that the feeling of adventure was captured perfectly.

Every area had it's own sound and sights, it's own identity, and the soundtrack was crafted to reflect this.

You could argue that older Sonic's had a variety of locales and also it's musical identity without delving to the depths that Unleashed did, however we know that Unleashed was based mostly on real woprld locations, so I feel that the music was right to try to capture the real cultural influences that the locations were based on had.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that the Sonic feeling was not lost, but rather interpreted differently.
Well i'm not really saying it should've gone in a different direction musically, more that it felt like it was further removed from the rest.
But you're right, the feel wasn't entirely lost, tracks like Cool Edge, Savannah Citadel and Rooftop Run in particular have that vibe that gives off a stronger Sonic feel for me at any rate.

Just think of it like how i've seen some people hear the Kirby's Epic Yarn Soundtrack and say "that's not Kirby music", and you know hyperbole aside I get what they mean, it's similar yet ultimately new, less full on jaunty and more plinky plonky soothing goodness.
I'd still consider it the best Kirby Soundtrack mind you, RTD/Adventure Wii has a more traditional Kirby style to it and it kind of underwhelms by comparison.

My point here? well between all these posts I think i've settled on Sonic Unleashed has a great soundtrack that has a more unique flavour to the rest of the series.
Or something I don't know, I was just trying to interpret what the posts Schala originally highlighted might have been trying to get at regarding Unleashed and other Sonic games since I kind of get what they're driving at (minus the odd use of cheesy) while Schala was grumbling up some mixed words of sheer confusion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've got no real problems with Rouge's jazz or Knuckles' rap, it's the four fairly similar flavors of rock and the general lack of melodies I take issue with. Compared to most other major entries, the diversity's quite poor. A shame there wasn't more ska.
Oh yeah, I definitely understand that, and I certainly agree that there should've been more ska. I think we've come to blows once or twice regarding this anyway.

tbh, it would've been nice if everyone had their own genre of music. That way the soundtrack wouldn't have been so samey. But then, Shadow would've had something like nu-metal associated with him. :x

Rivals... 2, I think, Frontier Canyon.
Yeah, kinda.

while Schala was grumbling up some mixed words of sheer confusion.
Disappointment. It was disappointment.

I'll write my wall o' text later. I have some last minute math to do. :/

Mario has the monopoly on bluegrass. Sonic better stay away.
We certainly don't want Sonic music turning into what Mario's music has.

One thing I can say about SA1 was that Amy levels were surprisingly tense...

It also tried to do some cool things to surprise you, like seeing the robot come on screen in a surveillance room and then burst through the wall.

Granted they fall flat now but I could see them making kids jump/panic back then.

I want BAH BAHs just to see every one of you suffer.
HMHMHHMHMHMHMHMHHAHAHAHAHAHA

More like HMHMHMBAHBAHBAHBAHBAHBAH

lambchop.gif

More like HMHMHMBAHBAHBAHBAHBAHBAH

lambchop.gif
She started singing "The Song That Never Ends", not knowing what it was, and she'll continue singing it forever just because it is "The Song That Never Ends". It just goes on and on, my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because it is "The Song That Never Ends". It just goes on and on, my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because it is "The Song That Never Ends". It just goes on and on, my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because it is "The Song That Never Ends". It just goes on and on, my friends...

One negative thing I can say about Unleashed musically is this.

It was only good the first time, when you are cutting into tracks like this and this you need to calm your ass down.
When the hell did Spagonia night turn so funky? and it's got this wierd alien vibe going now.
I think that speaks volumes about how intrusive the Werehog theme is, I tend to forget what most of the night themes sound like because of it.
A shame because the Werehog battle theme is pretty spiffy on its own, it's just poorly used.

Why does Spagonia sound like a pasta dish?

Disappointment. It was disappointment.

I'll write my wall o' text later. I have some last minute math to do. :/

We certainly don't want Sonic music turning into what Mario's music has.
My day of reckoning has been briefly postponed.

This is like equating Sonic soundtracks to Sonic 4 alone.

I want BAH BAHs just to see every one of you suffer.
HMHMHHMHMHMHMHMHHAHAHAHAHAHA
REAL MATURE!

It sounds like spaghetti and lasagna put together in my head.

Also I would purposely run around not fighting anything or progressing the level in werehog stages just so I could frickin hear the track.

Damn you werehog battle theme, you sound good but damn son.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Final Fantasy XV is going to be poo-poo unless it has HORSIES. Sen no Kiseki has HORSIES.

When the hell did Spagonia night turn so funky? and it's got this wierd alien vibe going now.
I think that speaks volumes about how intrusive the Werehog theme is, I tend to forget what most of the night themes sound like because of it.
A shame because the Werehog battle theme is pretty spiffy on its own, it's just poorly used.

My day of reckoning has been briefly postponed.
You should thank your math gods.

There are some times when I want to read about how Sega localizes their games. Some of the stuff is clever (and thank goodness they went from "Orange Roofs" to "Rooftop Run"). Though in Colours and Generations' cases, it was in English first, right?

Yeah, the execution of the Werehog battle theme is just baffling sometimes. If it's in one of those rooms of enemies where you have to take everything out before moving on, then it's fine. It's just a shame that it overshadows how genuinely good the night themes are in terms of their composition and progression.

It sounds like spaghetti and lasagna put together in my head.

Also I would purposely run around not fighting anything or progressing the level in werehog stages just so I could frickin hear the track.

Damn you werehog battle theme, you sound good but damn son.
I'm going to merchandise the new meal of Spagonia.
I would purposely run as fast as I could through the Werehog stages because they were the perfect storm of awful combat and platforming mechanics.

I don't actually mind the BAH-BAHs. I'm not saying they're amazing, but I don't get the hate.

We've been down this road many times, I think people hate it more because of the soundbite itself sounding as low quality as the rest of the samples used in the soundtracks and it in itself has become the representation for the maligned NSMB style soundtracks.

If anyone hates it for what it actually does regarding enemy interaction they can choke on my tail feathers.

You should thank your math gods.

There are some times when I want to read about how Sega localizes their games. Some of the stuff is clever (and thank goodness they went from "Orange Roofs" to "Rooftop Run"). Though in Colours and Generations' cases, it was in English first, right?

Yeah, the execution of the Werehog battle theme is just baffling sometimes. If it's in one of those rooms of enemies where you have to take everything out before moving on, then it's fine. It's just a shame that it overshadows how genuinely good the night themes are in terms of their composition and progression.
This upcoming post manages to sound more terrifying with each mention.
I don't pray to Maths, English was my deity of choice.

Orange Roofs is a bland name but it's also a very Sonic style one, it would fit right in with Sonic Blast's legendary stages.

I actually feel that Blur fellow was a bit hard done in the other thread, I mean really how was he supposed to know you were joking? I thought you were serious myself but I just didn't care because I hold those sentiments of fuck yeah Boost.

qq more

I actually feel that Blur fellow was a bit hard done in the other thread, I mean really how was he supposed to know you were joking? I thought you were serious myself but I just didn't care because I hold those sentiments of fuck yeah Boost.
I was hoping the smiley would of have given away that I was joking. I can't really blame him though, sarcasm isn't always the easiest thing to detect on the internet. So no hard feelings on him.

But I'm going to be really honest and say that I'd actually point and laugh at the potential meltdowns if SA3 were to have boost. There's one person in mind I know that would likely have a meltdown if that were to ever happen. Blueblur sort of has a point now that I said that!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala, you know the FF equivalent of horsies is chocobos!

I know FF has been in a strange place for a while but remember the classics!
I want horsies.

Chocobos look like this now:

What a terrible Chocobo design!

Nocturnowl said:
This upcoming post manages to sound more terrifying with each mention.
I don't pray to Maths, English was my deity of choice.

Orange Roofs is a bland name but it's also a very Sonic style one, it would fit right in with Sonic Blast's legendary stages.
Oh nooooo, I never ever made that connection.

Blue Marine
Green Hill
Yellow Desert
Red Volcano
Silver Castle

Also, I really hated English. My English teachers actually disliked the way I wrote in high school so I didn't bother to focus on that stuff. Academic papers are more my calling, and I like to read books rather than analyze them. When I analyze them, I enjoy them less. :/

I was hoping the smiley would of have given away that I was joking. I can't really blame him though, sarcasm isn't always the easiest thing to detect on the internet. So no hard feelings on him.

But I'm going to be really honest and say that I'd actually point and laugh at the potential meltdowns if SA3 were to have boost. There's one person in mind I know that would likely have a meltdown if that were to ever happen. Blueblur sort of has a point now that I said that!
You'd think boost has been around for ages with the way some look at it but it's only got half of Unleashed, Colours has less boost than the other recent games and Generations is also half boost.
Granted the Rush games are full on boost.
I could get a chuckle out of such things but i'd meltdown myself if the next game was taking direct inspirations from the Adventure duo.
Well maybe not meltdown, just shake my head thinking "and back down the hill we go".

Oh nooooo, I never ever made that connection.

Blue Marine
Green Hill
Yellow Desert
Red Volcano
Silver Castle

Also, I really hated English. My English teachers actually disliked the way I wrote in high school so I didn't bother to focus on that stuff. Academic papers are more my calling, and I like to read books rather than analyze them. When I analyze them, I enjoy them less. :/
I'm mentally slooooow when it comes to maths, I can do it to a decent level but it takes me an age so I don't much care for it, when Professor Layton games bring in the maths style puzzles I want to cry but on the other side of the coin i'll nail those ones where you have to figure out the liar out of 5 statements or similar word puzzles.
Not actually much of a fan of analysing books either, annotations everywhere, every sentence being looked over like its hiding some far flung hidden meaning, that side of English i'm not so big on.

I think my brain leans on the right side of things.

omg that chocobo comparison
We've been down this road many times, I think people hate it more because of the soundbite itself sounding as low quality as the rest of the samples used in the soundtracks and it in itself has become the representation for the maligned NSMB style soundtracks.
Ohhhhhhhh. Ok, I can see that. I actually kinda agree with the low-quality part, too. Still, it has its charm which is why I don't mind it.

Sciz

BAH BAH is not in and of itself bad (and stylistically dates back to at least SM64's loading screens), but the NSMB soundtracks are just bland as all hell and the straight recycling hasn't done anything to endear them to people.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey man, Crazy Chocobo ain't all that bad.

It even got its own GAF thread, and Nirolak changed the FF13-2 thread title because of it (until Kagari regrettably changed it back).

In all honesty, Sonic [1]'s special stages were never all that fun. Barely felt like I was ever in control of what was going on there.
Well, even if Episode 1 afforded you some control (which would have been fine), it added a silly time limit mechanic, which made the stage (which wasn't good in its original incarnation and I agree with you in that respect, completely) irritating to go through and finish.

I don't think I liked special stages until Sonic 2 Genesis, but Sonic 3&K's were fine.

I'm mentally slooooow when it comes to maths, I can do it to a decent level but it takes me an age so I don't much care for it, when Professor Layton games bring in the maths style puzzles I want to cry but on the other side of the coin i'll nail those ones where you have to figure out the liar out of 5 statements or similar word puzzles.
Not actually much of a fan of analysing books either, annotations everywhere, every sentence being looked over like its hiding some far flung hidden meaning, that side of English i'm not so big on.

I think my brain leans on the right side of things.
Well, my parents kinda made me do more math than English (because they weren't well-versed in Standard English (ie: they spoke a different dialect of it), but they kinda tried because they bought a bunch of those workbooks to assign extra homework/summer work), so I ended up being really good at math and was generally ahead of everyone else when it came to the subject (honestly, before I got into gifted classes I was really bored in my math classes because it was stuff I already knew). I like Calculus more than stats and stuff, though. Proofs are alright.

Because I'm left-handed, I should be artistically-inclined, but I can't draw for beans.

BAH BAH is not in and of itself bad (and stylistically dates back to at least SM64's loading screens), but the NSMB soundtracks are just bland as all hell and the straight recycling hasn't done anything to endear them to people.
Pretty much this. It dates all the way back to that era, but because of their overuse and recycling, the style has simply become tiresome at this point.

OMG Aero

One negative thing I can say about Unleashed musically is this.

It was only good the first time, when you are cutting into tracks like this and this you need to calm your ass down.
I still maintain that the night stage music is the best music in all of Sonic Unleashed. They're so damn chill.
I was going to question why Sonic Rivals is never mentioned when "hold right to win" comes up, but who's ever just thinking about Sonic Rivals? :p
Because literally nobody has played Sonic Rivals.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef liked Sonic Rivals, iirc.

I still maintain that the night stage music is the best music in all of Sonic Unleashed. They are so damn chill.
It's absolutely true. That's why it's such a shame that it gets overshadowed so often.

Edit: Fuuuuuuuuuuck that bass bit in Cool Edge Night. Soooo goooooood.

I don't think I liked special stages until Sonic 2 Genesis, but Sonic 3&K's were fine.

Well, my parents kinda made me do more math than English (because they weren't well-versed in Standard English (ie: they spoke a different dialect of it), but they kinda tried because they bought a bunch of those workbooks to assign extra homework/summer work), so I ended up being really good at math and was generally ahead of everyone else when it came to the subject (honestly, before I got into gifted classes I was really bored in my math classes because it was stuff I already knew). I like Calculus more than stats and stuff, though. Proofs are alright.

Because I'm left-handed, I should be artistically-inclined, but I can't draw for beans.
I'm sure we all know that I never liked special stages, blue sphere is the only one I sort of liked and the hyper emeralds did their best to ruin that.

Extra work?! in the holidays?! well I guess it paid off, seeing Math always throws me for a loop, the lack of an s on the end just feels so wrong to my limey self.
I'm going to blame my lack of artistic development on my right hand and not on my completely waning enthusiasm leading to a lack of effort.
I'm just drifting further and further off topic.

Something said...not good...don't yell at Nocturnowl!
How dare you call me that!

qq more

I played Rivals... it was okay from little of what I've played. It was kind of like Sonic Rush as a racing game (I forgot if it has BOOST, maybe Rush isn't a good comparison). Except they decided to throw in more QTE-ish sequences but it wasn't toooo bad. I don't remember if the game was actually decent or not, it's been a while.

I played Rivals... it was okay from little of what I've played. It was kind of like Sonic Rush as a racing game (I forgot if it has BOOST, maybe Rush isn't a good comparison). Except they decided to throw in more QTE-ish sequences but it wasn't toooo bad. I don't remember if the game was actually decent or not, it's been a while.

I watched some youtube let's play thing about rivals 1 and 2 the other night and it looks exactly like sonic 4 ep 1 physics wise, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom