• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This was posted on Sega's Sonic facebook page:

uMInjLw.jpg

Am I watching ineptitude here? What is this?

Shadow Hog said:
And the kicker: that Steam chat in the opening has a link to a PewDiePie video.
;___;

qq more

BEEF, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THAT CHAO?!

EDIT: Guys, I just got an ad that is literally just text saying "COwCEtABCAASBmFkRGF0YVAAigHAAXoFaNgFcFqCAZoBIAAqB2h0bWxVcmwwAkKEARDYBRhaIldtZWRpYTovL2RhL2ltYWdlP3NvdXJjZT11c2VyX2ZpbGUmaWRfZnJvbV9zb3VyY2U9LTkwNTg0OTQ4ODY2NzU3NDI3MjAmb3BlcmF0aW9uPWNvbnZlcnQogICAgNDc8MxdOAFaGGFwcGxpY2F0aW9uL3gtamF2YXNjcmlwdFjq9pHSAYIBGCAAKgt2ZXJzaW9uSW5mbzABOgU0LjkuMCIJc3dpZmZ5X1Yy"

WE'RE DOOMED

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
EDIT: wondering if I should pull the trigger on this; I just don't like how much the Asian version costs...

EDIT: Guys, I just got an ad that is literally just text saying "COwCEtABCAASBmFkRGF0YVAAigHAAXoFaNgFcFqCAZoBIAAqB2h0bWxVcmwwAkKEARDYBRhaIldtZWRpYTovL2RhL2ltYWdlP3NvdXJjZT11c2VyX2ZpbGUmaWRfZnJvbV9zb3VyY2U9LTkwNTg0OTQ4ODY2NzU3NDI3MjAmb3BlcmF0aW9uPWNvbnZlcnQogICAgNDc8MxdOAFaGGFwcGxpY2F0aW9uL3gtamF2YXNjcmlwdFjq9pHSAYIBGCAAKgt2ZXJzaW9uSW5mbzABOgU0LjkuMCIJc3dpZmZ5X1Yy"

WE'RE DOOMED
I'm kind of sad I haven't gotten one of those weird Sonic games ads lately. :(

Man, I could really go for a hot chili dog right now...
From that Sonic restaurant? We don't have those, so I have no idea if it's even good or not.

We've recently gotten Popeyes in the last few years!

At this point I don't think I'll take any stock in anything they're posting, since it seems they're just leading us on. Maybe when something concrete comes of this?

Oooooh yes, are we watching ineptitude.
I don't know what you guys are going on about, but that was the best LP I have ever watched. I giggled, then I full-on laughed, and then I laughed until my cheeks and tummy started to hurt!

I think Ruby's just screwing with people.

Now the real question is did you breach the corridor of red locks? TELL ME WHAT LIES BEYOND! I'm not as tough as I used to be with difficulty levels.
Honestly? Tons of practice and time. :/

And what lies beyond is
the hardest level
. Check it out if you're interested.

Sciz

From that Sonic restaurant? We don't have those, so I have no idea if it's even good or not.

We've recently gotten Popeyes in the last few years!

Sonic only survives by having the novelty of being the last true drive-in restaurant chain. The food is standard hamburger joint fare.

Popeye's is the best fast food chicken chain, though.

Noi

Schala, if you haven't done so already, you NEED to finish Book of Shadows.

I need someone to talk about everything I'm feeling right now.

I need the Sonic Adventure soundtrack in my life!

And it seems everytime I'm in a space station zone, 'Larger than Life' starts playing in my head...

Sonic only survives by having the novelty of being the last true drive-in restaurant chain. The food is standard hamburger joint fare.
Actually, Checker's and Rally's still exist, both being drive-in restaurant chains as well, so Sonic doesn't even have that luxury.

I'm not that huge a fan of the concept, though, because it means eating in whatever weather conditions presently are, and they often aren't comfortable conditions to eat in. Like, right now: it's dreary, and damn cold. I don't want to eat outside like this.

I could do take-out, but my experiences with Checker's and take-out have been... less than stellar. Like, I ordered my hot dogs plain, and both of them came smothered in ketchup and mustard. Condiments != plain, and I hate ketchup and mustard. Had to drive back after work to get a refund. Stopped doing regular business with them after that.

I've had Popeye's, like, maybe once or twice. They're okay. I'm more familiar with KFC, although most of the convenient-to-access KFCs around where I live and where I work have both shut down. Either way, I'd have to try more Popeye's before I can give it a proper verdict.

That said, when I want the best chicken sandwich in town, Chick-fil-A or bust.

Sciz

Actually, Checker's and Rally's still exist, both being drive-in restaurant chains as well, so Sonic doesn't even have that luxury.
They're drive-thru rather than drive-in, unless that's different elsewhere in the country.

(They're also the same company.)

I've had Popeye's, like, maybe once or twice. They're okay. I'm more familiar with KFC, although most of the convenient-to-access KFCs around where I live and where I work have both shut down. Either way, I'd have to try more Popeye's before I can give it a proper verdict.

KFC only wishes they were as good.

That said, if any of SonicGAF is ever through the Memphis area, look up a place called Gus's for the definitive chicken experience (unless you're one of those pitiable souls from earlier who can't take a little heat in their food).

Playing Jet Set Radio Future again

This is like the best 3d Sonic sequel never made. A platformer, moving along precision jumps at high speeds. You feel like you fucked up whenever you slow down.

And it's open-world(-ish), too. Clearly, this is evidence that an open-world(-ish) Sonic game can work!

...although IIRC the combat is god-awful. (Not like it was any better in the original.)

What are the chances of a JSRF HD.

I love JSR HD, it's one of those games that you have to learn to play as you go, but when you do it really shines.

The music certainly helps you push through any frustration.

ROCK DAT SHIT HOMIE

It's this rare, perfect combination of sound, visuals, and theme that creates this fully-formed world of JSR(F), that seems like it could exist, even though it's like nothing else out there.

RIP Smilebit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
EDIT: People in the other thread not taking into account how detailed and wonderfully thoughtful Sonic Unleashed's soundtrack makes me incredibly sad.

When I talk about how much I love soundtrack genre variation in game soundtracks, Unleashed is a good example of it (and it's fueled by the "World Adventure concept" that the game has), and it does it in a solid and cohesive manner (I mean, when you have some people saying that FF13-2's soundtrack sounds disjointed, while the Sonic Unleashed soundtrack sounds fine and not out of place, that's good execution to me).

It's just... You people. *tsk tsk*

Schala, if you haven't done so already, you NEED to finish Book of Shadows.

I need someone to talk about everything I'm feeling right now.
I'm on Chapter 7. I just... really don't wanna play it at night or when I'm home alone. :(

Ohhhh. We don't have drive-in chains around here, I don't think. Those things are probably best done in summer. I think people would hate it in -25*C temps. :lol

And you're completely right about Popeyes. Completely replaced KFC in our household because man they know how to cook chicken. KFC's way too greasy for me; I can't stand it. It's gross.

You guys have NO IDEA how badly I want some spicy drumsticks and cajun fries right now.
Yum!

Fast food every once in a while isn't so bad. Just eat in moderation. >.>

looks like something from sonic x

on another note, SEGA is in oklahoma now and got a speed ticket. lol, trolling to the maximum levels by them.

https://twitter.com/kellieparker/status/298842940455923712
Ahahahaha. It's like that episode of Sonic X where they had to send Speed Racer against him. Or something. I dunno.

Huh, what's in Oklahoma?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
EDIT: Wait, people are hating on Unleashed's soundtrack? Whaaaat?
Sega's going all around America asking fan creators if they want Sega to fund their games, confirmed!!! :p

Yeah, dude. I have never been so disappointed with GAF in a while. What happened, GAF? You used to be cool. ;__;

People not taking into account how detailed and wonderfully thoughtful Sonic Unleashed's soundtrack makes me incredibly sad. When I talk about how much I love soundtrack genre variation in game soundtracks, Unleashed is a good example of it (and it's fueled by the "World Adventure concept" that the game has). The musical cues and general tone of a lot of the BGMs completely fit into the series because this is a series that knows no bounds when it comes to genre selection. It fit the game like a glove. What the fuck did you want? 90s dance? Ska? Rock all the time? That certainly wouldn't have fit the game's context at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47336498&postcount=866
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47337077&postcount=875

Must... resist... typing up... wall of text...!

kjsdoigfhsoightoiewhkdsngntoiangoangwo

*cries in corner*

Not going to lie, while I like the Unleashed Soundtrack and understand that it does a really nice job of tying in great genre variety suitable for each world location I have held the sentiment that while it's a great soundtrack it's also just a simply good Sonic soundtrack.

Yeah this sounds a bit mad but hear me out, it's a bit too grounded in reality for my taste, visually as well as musically for that matter, Sonic music often seems to have a more out there flare to it and while this is still present in some tracks for the most part Unleashed's music while great just doesn't feel all that Sonic like.
Almost like it would slot in well with a world traversing JRPG, night themes in particular have an atmosphere quite unexpected in Sonic and moreso when you consider these are brawler focused stages with an aggressive Werehog.

Then again Sonic hops around genres all the time, back at the time would one consider half of the SA2 style particularly Sonic like? maybe not, even so while I consider both SA titles to have more Sonic like soundtracks i'd still take Planetary Pieces over them because I think the music is just a lot better.
But if anyone asks why I prefer the Colours Soundtrack to Unleashed despite having less tracks and variety overall i'd say because it has the air of Unleashed like quailty around it while also nailing the more funky Sonic feel.

This is a confusing post, it fits the game so if anything maybe i'm thinking Sonic is the guy who doesn't really fit here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A Rodgers and Hammerstein musical?
"King and I" and "Sound of Music" > "Oklahoma".

I remember my high school vocal teacher assigning us something from Show Boat. The piece was so forgettable that I don't remember what it wa--- "Make Believe" (even though the piece is composed for a dude and the class is basically all girls). @___@

Not going to lie, while I like the Unleashed Soundtrack and understand that it does a really nice job of tying in great genre variety suitable for each world location I have held the sentiment that while it's a great soundtrack it's also just a simply good Sonic soundtrack.

Yeah this sounds a bit mad but hear me out, it's a bit too grounded in reality for my taste, visually as well as musically for that matter, Sonic music often seems to have a more out there flare to it and while this is still present in some tracks for the most part Unleashed's music while great just doesn't feel all that Sonic like.
Almost like it would slot in well with a world traversing JRPG, night themes in particular have an atmosphere quite unexpected in Sonic and moreso when you consider these are brawler focused stages with an aggressive Werehog.

Then again Sonic hops around genres all the time, back at the time would one consider half of the SA2 style particularly Sonic like? maybe not, even so while I consider both SA titles to have more Sonic like soundtracks i'd still take Planetary Pieces over them because I think the music is just a lot better.
But if anyone asks why I prefer the Colours Soundtrack to Unleashed despite having less tracks and variety overall i'd say because it has the air of Unleashed like quailty around it while also nailing the more funky Sonic feel.

This is a confusing post, it fits the game so if anything maybe i'm thinking Sonic is the guy who doesn't really fit here.
brb, writing up wall of text. You did this.

But before I do, the bolded kind of demonstrates what I think of Unleashed. The reason why I like Unleashed is partially because it plays itself out like a JRPG. The game gives you a ton of sidequests that you have to go around the world to complete. There are a few collectables in each stage in the form of videotapes, medals, CDs, books, etc. that the player unlocks if they want to 100% the whole game. You have a freaking inventory system where you buy shit and you give them to Professor Pickle because he likes getting all these personal MacGuffins and he likes being covered in flags.

And you have stats. The reason why I say the Werehog is incredibly unbalanced in terms of stats is because I think of Unleashed's night portions as an ARPG. Yeah, it's weird, isn't it? A terribly-balanced ARPG, but an ARPG nonetheless. You have all these parameters to deal with. More moves to use as you level up, you can pour stuff into your strength stat, pour stuff into your DEF stat, etc. It's honestly interesting to me that they created such a thing, but just made it horribly balanced in the process. And because of that, I get their line of thinking with regards to the tranquil night themes and the repetitive Werehog battle theme. That's what it's like in JRPGs, and that's what they ended up composing them as.

If you ask me, Unleashed was a much better attempt as a Sonic JRPG than Bioware's JRPG was. As a result, the music fits so incredibly well to me, and it sounds like what a Sonic RPG's soundtrack would sound to me.

I'm not saying that it'd be out of place if I considered it as a Sonic platformer soundtrack, because in that respect it fits as well. I like the hub themes much better than the Adventure/2006 hub themes because they fit their town settings. I like the dynamic between night and day stages and how they differ so much yet retain the same instrument quality.

Sonic style in music to me doesn't stick to one particular genre, because the games have demonstrated time and time again that Sonic's music doesn't adhere to one particular genre. Sometimes we have funk, sometimes we have rap and hip-hop, sometimes we have FM Synth, sometimes we have rock, 90s dance, sometimes we have R&B, etc. That's Sonic's "sound". It isn't sticking to one particular genre, but branching out into many and trying to cohesively include them in a Sonic game. We saw that in Sonic R, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 (to Sciz's dismay), Unleashed, Colours, Sonic 3D Blast, etc.

So many hands have touched the Sonic series and composed BGMs in multiple genres that it's hard to separate genre variation from the series. And that's why I love Sonic's music so much. It's not afraid to try and experiment. And it does it successfully.

So there's more to come, what slumbering sentinel of soundtracks have I awoken?!
Well while you beaver away at my reckoning i'll take into account that RPG side of things.
Yes, when you put it like that it is actually rather JRPG focused, I can think of a number of reasons why they took such an angle. One would be to truly make it a Sonic World Adventure as it's alternatively known and the other because padding since making the daytime levels was a lot of work.

Jumping back to the music, it's like having a slice of the implied culture of an area and I more than dig that, due to the fact that quite a lot of the games soundtrack is built around hub areas and night stages probably goes a way to my feeling that the soundtrack seems even more unfamiliar territory than other sonic soundtracks because the vast majority of the rest of them are always pumped up and fast paced on account of the many action stages. With Unleashed where such stages form a pretty small section of the soundtrack (8-10 stages?) then I wager that's where i'm drawing the greater impression of "this soundtrack feels less Sonic!".

You are right though in that Sonic plunges his mitts into damn near every genre under the sun so it's not unprecedented at all, as I said I think I can narrow it down to the fact that most of Unleashed tracks are in fact pretty reserved as opposed to being an adrenaline rush which gives it more a unique feel that stands out by itself even more than the many other Sonic soundtracks.
Waffling waffles, i'm not even sure if what i'm saying makes sense anymore but the comparison of Unleashed to an RPG makes me feel a lot cooler about the soundtrack. Let it be mentioned again that I do very much like the soundtrack, I just subconsciously tend to separate it from the rest, when i'm asked what my favourite Sonic tracks are I jump to all the other main entries first even though I hold the soundtrack in higher regard than say Adventure and Rush.

Has Sonic yet to dip into country music?
I want to say yes, but aside from Nocturnowl's suggestion of Hill Top Zone, I can't think of any.

If Sonic Adventure 3 is about Sonic running around the continental US (and maybe Canada/Alaska/Hawaii/Mexico, for variety), then maybe we'll finally get some.

TheOGB

Banned
Wasn't the director of Unleashed the guy that had worked on RPGs before and after directing Unleashed?

fake edit: well, not before, but he was very involved with Chao Garden stuff

I can see what you mean especially about the funky Sonic feel, however to say it doesn't feel like Sonic...well, that depends on what Sonic means to you.

The concept of Unleashed was "world adventure", so keeping that concept in mind I don't think it would have been appropriate to bring that sound to the game. I would say the use of various instrumentation and genre's was needed to nail the feeling of a globe trotting adventure and I feel that the feeling of adventure was captured perfectly.

Every area had it's own sound and sights, it's own identity, and the soundtrack was crafted to reflect this.

You could argue that older Sonic's had a variety of locales and also it's musical identity without delving to the depths that Unleashed did, however we know that Unleashed was based mostly on real woprld locations, so I feel that the music was right to try to capture the real cultural influences that the locations were based on had.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that the Sonic feeling was not lost, but rather interpreted differently.

Sciz

"Sonic music", in as much as it can be gathered under a single umbrella, is less about genre and more about a certain tempo and energy. The tone changes from game to game to suit the gameplay, but they rarely lose sight of the fundamental cool feeling that drives the series' identity. On the odd occasions when they do slow things down, it's usually an intentional choice to relax the player.

It isn't sticking to one particular genre, but branching out into many and trying to cohesively include them in a Sonic game. We saw that in...Sonic Adventure 2 (to Sciz's dismay)

I've got no real problems with Rouge's jazz or Knuckles' rap, it's the four fairly similar flavors of rock and the general lack of melodies I take issue with. Compared to most other major entries, the diversity's quite poor. A shame there wasn't more ska.

Has Sonic yet to dip into country music?

Rivals... 2, I think, Frontier Canyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom