• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm sure we all know that I never liked special stages, blue sphere is the only one I sort of liked and the hyper emeralds did their best to ruin that.
Someone needs to tell me why Sonic 1 SMS/GG's special stages are their favourites because I'm having trouble understanding it.

Triple Trouble's special stages were alright.

Extra work?! in the holidays?! well I guess it paid off, seeing Math always throws me for a loop, the lack of an s on the end just feels so wrong to my limey self.
Yup! I had to get my work done before playing games or going out to run around and play. My parents are strict. And if it makes you feel better, my parents call it "maths" too (from a former British colony, my mom's great-great grandfather was British, etc.). I don't because I was raised here and became very accustomed to Canadian English (which is basically American English at times with British spellings, some accents thrown here and there, and some interesting vocalization of some vowels).

LakeEarth

As an SNES kid growing up, I never got a chance to beat Sonic 1 and 2, but they showed up on PS+ so I thought what the hell. Of course I got to save, which made things a bit easier. Frustratingly good times. I didn't find any of the chaos emeralds, perhaps for a later playthrough.

How annoying is Tails constantly making the dying 'dun' noise? Dude dies 10 times a stage.

You mean how increasingly hilarious Tails' deaths are? Very much so! Especially underwater!

Although you can turn Tails off in the options menu if you're feeling particularly nice to him today

As an SNES kid growing up, I never got a chance to beat Sonic 1 and 2, but they showed up on PS+ so I thought what the hell. Of course I got to save, which made things a bit easier. Frustratingly good times. I didn't find any of the chaos emeralds, perhaps for a later playthrough.

How annoying is Tails constantly making the dying 'dun' noise? Dude dies 10 times a stage.
I can't vouch for the versions with the awful front-end preventing you from accessing the game's title screen (which would probably be the versions you have), but in the original Genesis version, you can easily turn Tails off. Or play as Tails and have Sonic turned off. Even lowers the margins for passing the Special Stages accordingly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

You can't turn Tails off in that version? And like JC said, it's more funny than annoying. It's even funnier in Sonic 2006.

That's what a lot of my friends, who exclusively played Nintendo consoles, told me. They tried Sonic games for the first time ever with the VC and (surprisingly to them) had fun with it. Dismayed that they stayed away from the Genesis games for so long.

My younger brother would always plug in a second controller and play as Tails. I can't believe he had the patience. I was always running ahead of him and rarely stopping for him to catch up

Someone needs to tell me why Sonic 1 SMS/GG's special stages are their favourites because I'm having trouble understanding it.
Oh yeah, these are the ones I do like.
Well for one they stick to the standard playstyle whilst playing around with the pinball like nature of the games. But more importantly they feel like an actual bonus opportunity with the continue box hidden in each one and the vast amount of rings, there's no real goal you have to attain aside from reaching the exit in time, you just jump in, collect a bunch of what's there and leave with your goodies and if you don't make it out it's your own greed that stopped you (or getting spring stuck).
You don't start going through an increasingly strict number of one chance minigames for a trinket that often end up being far too annoying to be considered much of a bonus, when i'm actively avoiding something that's supposed to be a bonus then it's not really a bonus to me.

Sonic 1 MS basically channels the feeling of entering a coin filled room in a mario game, it's just for fun and the reward isn't locked behind whatever the task of the day is.

Plus the music is flipping awesome

Yup! I had to get my work done before playing games or going out to run around and play. My parents are strict. And if it makes you feel better, my parents call it "maths" too (from a former British colony, my mom's great-great grandfather was British, etc.). I don't because I was raised here and became very accustomed to Canadian English (which is basically American English at times with British spellings, some accents thrown here and there, and some interesting vocalization of some vowels).
Canadian English sounds like a messy melting pot of English, though being on the internet with a lot of American English i'm falling into similar trappings as far as spelling goes.

You're still talking about that? Pfft, you really ARE slow.
*GASP* something said! not good!

qq more

This guy is soooooo angry. He makes me look like the calmest person in the whole world.

In speaking of... I sort of can't help but notice I don't swear as much as I've used to... What's happening to meeee?!?!

Sciz

Missed seeing this by a few days. I'm slipping. :(

1359646636.jpg

The second act of the epic Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man crossover event BEGINS HERE! “When Worlds Collide” Part Five of Twelve: Sonic, Mega Man, Tails and Proto Man enter the strange world of the Skull Egg Zone. They don’t receive a warm welcome, either, as the Genesis Unit and Copy Robot attack! Drs. Eggman and Wily wait in the wings with an even more sinister surprise waiting to be unleashed! You cannot miss this action-packed issue, featuring new cover art by Patrick “SPAZ” Spaziante, and choose YOUR favorite hero with the “Team Sonic” and “Team Mega Man” variant covers!

Sonic-249-megaman-pt-6.jpg

"When Worlds Collide" Part Six of Twelve: The crossover mega-event reaches its half-way point! On the eve of Sonic the Hedgehog's landmark 250th issue, Sonic, Tails, Mega Man and Proto Man are confronted by Drs. Eggman and Wily and the eight Roboticized Masters! Why do they look so familiar to Sonic? Do our heroes even stand a chance?! Featuring stunning new cover art from Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, and a special 16-Bit pixel art variant cover!

The Genesis Unit. Of course it'd be the Genesis Unit. <3

"Roboticized Masters" is good too.

qq more

Are these even out yet??? I want to get my hands on them! It's also great to see the Genesis Unit getting noticed. Wily Tower was a great little game.

I have 3200 MSP and have no idea what to spend them on...I already have every Sonic game on XBLA. <_<

Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
Geometry Wars 2
Mark of the mothafuckin' Ninja*
Shadow Complex
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Outland
Spelunky
Castle Crashers
Splosion Man
Ms. Splosion Man
Rez HD
Hard Corps: Uprising

Any of these great games should do you fine

*may not be actual title

TheOGB

Banned
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
Geometry Wars 2
Mark of the mothafuckin' Ninja*
Shadow Complex
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Outland
Spelunky
Castle Crashers
Splosion Man
Ms. Splosion Man
Rez HD
Hard Corps: Uprising

Any of these great games should do you fine

*may not be actual title
Seconded
Thanks for reminding me to try out MotN >.>

I just looked at a gameplay video of this. I must have it. Please tell me it's for PS3.

Mark of the Ninja is like 15 years of stealth game mechanics refined and perfected into one single title. The fundamental flaws of the genre have been studied by it’s developers, and they found a way around it. No longer is playing with your character a battle of the various buttons and clumsy systems; I’ve never played a stealth game that controls as fluidly, as fast, as intuitively. No longer are you ever left wondering just how many enemies are in an area to take into account; the 2d plane and smart visual design choices make sleuthing accessible to anyone. No longer are you scared of experimentation because you don’t know how visible you are, or how loud your actions are; enemy line-of-sights are clearly visible, as are the pulses on-screen that clearly indicates the range of noise you make. Despite all this streamlining and polishing, depth isn’t sacrificed: this is a game that awards (and encourages the side-objectives) player creativity BECAUSE of the superfluous fluff has been removed, and affording you an incredible amount of flexibility in your playstyle. Constantly inventive, as every level seems to bring a new toy for you to play with, or new clever environmental hazard to think about, never letting you settle into anything approaching monotony. It's the rare kinda game that sacrifices neither depth nor sheer playability, a game built on the backs of others but comes across as nothing else but itself. I’ve had some great experiences this year, but no game stunned me with it’s fresh, accessible, brilliant design the way Mark of the Ninja did. This shit should be studied. It’s a goddamn revelation. - a very handsome, modest user

I'd trust those impressions!

Kokonoe

Banned
Is that a Robot Master Shadow? that is quite cool.

I'm going to have to acquire these Mega Man X Sonic comics as these are looking pretty great.

Noi

I'm on Chapter 7. I just... really don't wanna play it at night or when I'm home alone. :(

You're a grown-ass lady, toughen up! I'll accept no less than playing the last chapter with your only light source being a single lit candle. It's so creeeeeepy (the chapter, that is).

Articalys

Just noticed that a new event was added to the schedule for the upcoming Animation on Display convention in San Francisco on Feburary 16:
Super Sonic: Behind the Scenes of Sonic the Hedgehog

Explore the rise, fall, and recent resurgence of Sonic the Hedgehog in games and other media. An in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at Sonic's creation, his rise to fame in the early 90's, and his transition into 3D and the present day. Bring your questions and your passion for Sonic – all are welcomed! With Aaron Webber, Brand Manager, SEGA America
I'm going to the con anyway, so I'll stop by and see how the panel is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom