• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

I'm finally getting around to watching the "Awesome Games Done Quick" stream and I got a big laugh out of their reaction to Anth0ny's donation comment about Colors being worse than Sonic 06. "How freaking dare you..."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I absolutely, positively need to get all these Mega Man x Sonic crossover issues. They look like they're going to special... and cohesive.

And I love Fire Emblem: Awakening's gameplay a lot, but man it's the most kawaii uguu Fire Emblem game I've ever played and that part of it is incredibly disappointing and is a bit of a turn-off (like, I expect this (yet dread it) from Tales, not this). I see it in tons of Japanese dramas, manga, anime, games, etc. and I'm kind of tired of it now. :/

Oh yeah, these are the ones I do like.
Well for one they stick to the standard playstyle whilst playing around with the pinball like nature of the games. But more importantly they feel like an actual bonus opportunity with the continue box hidden in each one and the vast amount of rings, there's no real goal you have to attain aside from reaching the exit in time, you just jump in, collect a bunch of what's there and leave with your goodies and if you don't make it out it's your own greed that stopped you (or getting spring stuck).
You don't start going through an increasingly strict number of one chance minigames for a trinket that often end up being far too annoying to be considered much of a bonus, when i'm actively avoiding something that's supposed to be a bonus then it's not really a bonus to me.

Sonic 1 MS basically channels the feeling of entering a coin filled room in a mario game, it's just for fun and the reward isn't locked behind whatever the task of the day is.

Plus the music is flipping awesome
Of course the music's awesome. It's composed by one of my favourite composers ever.

I guess that's kind of why I didn't like it. You have to get to the exit in time and gather up some delightful goodies optionally, but I guess there wasn't that sense of progression or moving towards a goal in increments that some of the other special stages had. I'd rather special stages just be an optional level with level design, sorta like what Triple Trouble did.

You're a grown-ass lady, toughen up! I'll accept no less than playing the last chapter with your only light source being a single lit candle. It's so creeeeeepy (the chapter, that is).
Finished Chapter 7 and boy I completely forgot how creepy Sugita was in the original Corpse Party. He's even creepier here. It's just weird going from Tales of Xillia (where he's delightful, cool, or upset) to that. :lol

I guess the extra epilogue chapter's going to be creepy, and no I'm not going to do that. :|

Oh wow lol. Should've given her Cecil to be mean.
My one choice was Rosa in Cecil's arms...
You're both mean.

That entire thread induces some headdesk moments. I had one about someone's comments about the Unleashed soundtrack earlier on. It's a step-up from Sonic threads of the past, that's for sure. Though people just sound pissed at each other in general, and clearly have different ideas of how Sonic should be, or what they feel that their ideal Sonic game is. They're just... being kinda hostile about it, I guess? Or some things being said are just flat-out wrong.

Kinda amused that some of the Sonic Retro mainstays are giving some people what for, though.

Pietepiet

That whole thread is people acting like they know shit about game design but then come up with absurd recommendations for the next Sonic game.

qq more

Any console with anti-used games are automatically a no buy from me! I hate that the industry are trying to combat against used sales. So ridiculous!

Noi

I hope those rumors are true, then I don't have to worry about people not having another version of whatever multiplat online game I want to buy!

qq more

I wasn't really planning to get the next Xbox anyways. Pay to play online is a major turn off for me. I really hope the PS4 doesn't pull this anti used non-sense or I'm going just PC+Wii U next gen. Don't let me down Sony!

EDIT: NOOOO! SONY DON'T DO IT TOO :(

BHZ Mayor

The next generation is going to be the same as this one, only with less variety and depth, and more paywalls. The only thing that is going to improve is graphics. Anyone expecting anything else is, quite frankly, delusional.

The next generation is going to be the same as this one, only with less variety and depth, and more paywalls. The only thing that is going to improve is graphics. Anyone expecting anything else is, quite frankly, delusional.
I'm not even convinced graphics are going to appreciably improve. You'll be getting stuff very similar to current gen, but with higher resolutions and more AA/AF; maybe 60FPS if you're lucky. Nothing I'm not already used to from PC gaming. Other than that, maybe some self-shadowing, marginally better lighting (or more dynamic lighting, since it won't be as expensive - and UE4 pretty much mandates it), and, if we're really lucky, physics engines so improved that they rival nVidia's PhysX stuff, allowing for characters with actual hair, or more free-flowing clothes.

People keep talking about how the extra hardware will "innovate gaming", but I don't see that happening. You might get less load times as the extra RAM will allow more of a level to be loaded at once, or perhaps a lot more happening on screen, but I don't think gameplay innovation has been particularly stifled by anything hardware-related this generation.

People also keep posting that Star Wars 1313 GIF with the elevator falling apart into a fiery mess as you jump onto it. I don't get how this is appreciably more "next-gen" than when Uncharted 2 had a building collapse while I was still inside it (which was impressive as hell, actually).

Noi

I appreciate what the extra power enables for creative developers. Stuff like Noby Noby Boy wouldn't exist on earlier consoles (the idea behind it, mind, not the actual gameplay).

I honestly can't wait for Just Cause 3 on next gen consoles. It's gonna be awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just want fun games to play, and it seems like I've been falling into handhelds being my main platforms to go for than consoles. Thus getting new consoles aren't a priority for me unless there's something I really want on one of them.

That whole thread is people acting like they know shit about game design but then come up with absurd recommendations for the next Sonic game.
That whole thread kinda sucks now, tbh.

I hope that NextBox information about this isn't true.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511924
What the fuck.

I know they want to maximize profits, but holy shit that's so anti-consumer.

Noi

It's hilarious how awful MS's rep is that rumors with no evidence can be seriously discussed because they're considered among the realm of possibility

I just want fun games to play

Bingo.
I have noticed that my interest in next gen is not focused at all on what the hardware does, how powerful it is, if it makes me a cup of coffee or whatever fancy tricks it has up its cybersleeves.
I just want fun games, considering I haven't cared for the AAA blockbuster side of things for the most part of this generation i'm not exactly raring to hop on the next gen train quite yet since all the hype seems to be focused around what juggernauts can be created with more power but that can change entirely when they get around to showing the games and maybe some bright sparks out there will show some very cool stuff instead of the AAAA angle that i'm expecting, create the fun and unique games and i'll come with time (that time being a price drop when the console libraries have started building up).

Regarding that MS rumour I do struggle to think that MS would partake in something that would potentially turn away so many customers, i'm not buying into it yet.

qq more

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511982
9SMr1nE.jpg

ShadiWulf

someone translated part of the stream, gotta love Iizuka! :D

Interviewer (right): You started with the Mega Drive?

Iizuka, Senoue and Hoshino: Yes.

Interviewer (left): Well sure, it was the responsible! (laughter)

Iizuka: But there are many people who started with the Adventure, people on some events say they began with this game.

Interviewer (right): It's hard to find someone who played the Game Gear...

Senoue: The hardest thing in Adventure was doing the voices, the fact is, we had to re-build the series, and the way to build games changed as well, it was complicated.

Iizuka: The most complicated thing in Adventure was going from 2D to the 3D, the game methods changed, but in the beginning of the project, we had the moto: "How to have fun with Sonic in 3D".

Interviewer (right): Thinking of something new, but with the image of Sonic, everyone expects speed, but without betraying it with something too different.

Iizuka: Yes.

Interviewer (left): Converting the 2D speed to 3D is really tricky, especially doing it with the right features and game design.

Iizuka: To be honest, before we make the game for the Dreamcast, other teams from outside took the challenge of making Sonic in 3D, but in the end, all the ideas and designs didn't worked and went down to the cemitery. We then said "we accept this challenge!" and this was when we made Sonic Adventure.

Interviewer (right): Indeed, since the 2D days, the team who has built and will continue to build is the one who makes the best games, the one who's loved and the one with most "happy endings".

Iizuka: (laughter)

Interviewer (right): So this proves that we should wait for good things in the future, on a new project?

Interviewer (left): What about the new project? (Iizuka laughing) We have many comments on this subject!

Iizuka: We really do, right? So, in 2011, we launched Sonic Generations, then in 2012, Sonic 4 Episode II. Now in 2013, I hope to deliver a new Sonic game as well.

Interviewer (Right): For the 22 years?

Iizuka: Yes, if I can.

Interviewer (left): It's impossible to you to say if is there's really something going on now, right? Just kidding (laughter).

Interviewer (right): We heard good information, but Sonic's really nostalgic and even with several stories, it always have that energy, that 'something new' feeling, and even in the very future, we can still surprise ourselves.

Iizuka: Every year I think about being able to deliver something.

Interviewer (right): We are all happy, but another question, huh...

Interviewer (left): They are asking something like "What hardware" will be this game released.

All: (laughting)

Iizuka: I can't say anything no more!

Interviewer (left): Oh, too bad, he can't say anything no more!

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/15180-segas-2013-plans/page-54#entry630608

The future will not have used games.
The future will be connected to the world wide web, where dudes and duddettes alike can engage in frivilous activities like Fifa 2020.
The future will take your physical copies from you and stomp them into the dirt like the rights of gamers everywhere.

Eh, anyone who has owned a 360 for the past few years should have seen this coming. All the software "updates" have been anti-consumer, why wouldn't their new hardware also be so?

It'd be amusing if the PS4 also had this "feature" in it. Then the Wii U would be the only home console on which you'd actually own your games, which could be a bit of a boon for it.
Until one of the other two inevitably realizes "this is hurting our sales" and puts out a firmware patch to shut it down.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dammit, I'm never around when the fun stuff happens. >:I

...you guys think I'm boring don't you? T___T
Now why would we think that? :p

At least GAF doesn't have a strong grip on your life. That's a good thing!

Everyone has gotten so hostile. It's crazy.
Gaming side. It's Gaming side.

Why can't we all just be friends or agree to disagree or stop namecalling or whatever. I blame the oncoming console wars. >:O

Here's one for Schala!

Well, he is one of the very very very very very few SE characters I like this gen. Better than Cloud.

The future will be connected to the world wide web, where dudes and duddettes alike can engage in frivilous activities like Fifa 2020.
The future will take your physical copies from you and stomp them into the dirt like the rights of gamers everywhere.
Fuck that. I buy a lot of used games. I buy used games because I'm on a budget or I can't afford the new copies right away. If it's a game I'm not really into, I'll buy it used because as a consumer, I should be allowed to make that decision.

Unless they're going to focus on digital content moreso than physical content. But I should be able to decide whether or now I want a physical copy or a digital copy. Right now I'm kinda half and half on that because I... have a lot of games and I usually put them into containers now when the generation rolls over. So I don't mind digital content that much.

And I live in Canada. Our Internet is shit because the internet providers here are scummy as hell. I can't afford to be online all the time!

Bingo.
I have noticed that my interest in next gen is not focused at all on what the hardware does, how powerful it is, if it makes me a cup of coffee or whatever fancy tricks it has up its cybersleeves.
I just want fun games, considering I haven't cared for the AAA blockbuster side of things for the most part of this generation i'm not exactly raring to hop on the next gen train quite yet since all the hype seems to be focused around what juggernauts can be created with more power but that can change entirely when they get around to showing the games and maybe some bright sparks out there will show some very cool stuff instead of the AAAA angle that i'm expecting, create the fun and unique games and i'll come with time (that time being a price drop when the console libraries have started building up).
This is me. I like the lower budget games this time around. I'm not ready for a new console cycle yet, tbh. I know people are like, "how are we going to push the boundaries of graphical capabilities??? I hate motion control this shit sucks. I'm tired of sequels!" but... I'm... really not ready. In fact, I've just started thinking of upgrading my 80 GB HDD in my PS3 to a higher amount, and I've had that thing since 2008!

I'm ready to move on to Wii U if it has the games since Nintendo isn't really supporting the Wii, and I can just use homebrew on it anyway to import games I missed out on in Japan prior to 2011. On that front, I'm ready to move on. Not necessarily with the HD twins. I still have a pile of 360 games to play in the event I buy a 360 (or if this new system is BC, I can just play them on there), and I still have some PS3 content to purchase or play (whether it's from Japan, NA, or EU).

I stopped caring about power a long time ago. Now I just want to come home, relax, and have some fun and alone time with my games.

I'm still importing PSP games. This system isn't dying yet!

Noi

I'm ready for the PS4 not because of the graphicz, but because I really want a better implementation of everything the PS3 currently has. Sony went through it's HD/networking growing pains and piecing together the service it currently has and patching together all the things the PS3 does now, but it's really easy to tell that it's taking it's toll on the system because it wasn't made with a lot of those things in mind. Just look at the PSN store as an example.

If the Vita OS' out of the box features are anything to go by, I'm really looking forward to what the PS4 can do. It'll certainly be a more future-proofed console than the PS3 was.

(I do hope this no used game/always online thing isn't true. Awful precedent, and I'd be stuck between next gen consoles that all do things I hate. I'd just stick to my PS3 for a while. :| )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, when you put it that way, I kinda want to see some new online features for PSN anyway. I think the store would run better on a new system (it looks good, but it runs so choppy sometimes!). I just hope it's region-free. Or that I can buy games from any PSN store in any region without having to buy PSN Yen moneys (hahaha like that would happen).

I am interested in that PS4 controller, though. Ever since Tales of Xillia 2 gave me the chance to take screenshots in-game, I wanted more of that kind of stuff on other platforms. The screenshot function on Vita is almost a godsend.

----

As an aside, I almost feel like posting the Member Etiquette FAQ in that Sonic thread. Because I'm rather surprised with some people's behaviour and debate skills, tbh. Alright, you have your own idea about level design. Be cordial and respectful of it. Stop putting other people down and at least maturely tell them why you think they're wrong. Post freaking level maps or something if you want to illustrate your point better.

I know I'm on GAF and I'm asking for maturity of all things, but c'mon. I've seen civil threads a lot around here. I don't think it'd be a damn stretch to actually do it.

is this what we have become

Sorry to all the new members of SonicGAF expecting something civil, especially with regards to some of the threads we've had before where people were actually nicer. That's what attracted me to SonicGAF and I hope some of this shit isn't acting as a deterrent to participating more.

Nert

I suppose that I'm more excited about the PS4 and 720 than most people here. Steps taken to eliminate the used games market are aggressively anti-consumer and unfortunate; personally, I've already embraced digital distribution platforms (particularly Steam) and I prefer to wait a month or so for a game's price to dramatically fall instead of saving just $5.00 by buying it used. I'm really hoping that Sony and Microsoft take this opportunity to make it easier for developers to both release games on their digital marketplaces and continue to support them after release with content updates, as most of the exciting stuff has come from the smaller/indie space lately.

New platforms are also a way to push developers to finally take risks again. Every generation has franchises that overstay their welcome, but the latter entries in some of this generation's have been complete disappointments. It's hard to keep track of many subpar games with a III or a IV
or a XIII
in their title came out in just the past couple of years.

Also, I kind of of enjoy watching the train wreck that is console wars. For better or worse, one of the regular events that initially drew me to NeoGAF was the monthly NPD clusterfuck (back when more information was available). Ideally, people could just talk about their preferences calmly and reasonably, but I might as well have fun with the inevitable meltdowns and .gif parades.

People being rude/stupid in that Sonic thread

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been offered moderator status in the past? I think that you would be pretty good at it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That might fall under backseat modding. ;P
Which is why I won't do it. Hahaha.

But man that thread is difficult to read at times.

Also, I kind of of enjoy watching the train wreck that is console wars. For better or worse, one of the regular events that initially drew me to NeoGAF was the monthly NPD clusterfuck (back when more information was available). Ideally, people could just talk about their preferences calmly and reasonably, but I might as well have fun with the inevitable meltdowns and .gif parades.
Man I miss old NPD threads. They were actually funny because people were reacting to real, hard data and melting down over that shit. Now it's all extrapolation and guesswork, and the gifs don't really come. And they've grouped games over multiple platforms into a single group now which makes the numbers boring for people who are into the console wars business.

I want gifs about the best accessory being either an XBLA points card or a Skylanders figure.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
People could be making gifs about FFVII still being the number one PS1 Classic for god knows how long now!
It'll include Toriyama transforming Cloud into Lightning in some fashion so they can avoid remaking FF7.

People would be making gifs of trying to get that green star in Flipsville Galaxy for some game or platform hoping to come close to #1 but not reaching it at all and dying ("TOO BAD!").

I dunno.

Heropon

There are some threads that have become battlefields lately and I don't feel confident enough to post in them, but I have guilty pleasure reading some extreme reactions. I still remember my first betrayalton thread as a member.

It'll include Toriyama transforming Cloud into Lightning in some fashion so they can avoid remaking FF7.

If they decide to finally remake FFVII I can imagine the backlash it'll get when it doesn't meet expectations.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's it. I miss the gifs (one of Mama Robotnik's creations):

ibmVxu1w0jZoZ3.gif

If they decide to finally remake FFVII I can imagine the backlash it'll get when it doesn't meet expectations.
It won't ever meet the expectations people have for it. If people are calling it SE's trump card or get out of jail FREE card right now, that entails that people are going to expect a ton from it. They are going to expect the whole shebang: quirky, charming adventures on a world map with a moveable airship and buggy and Tiny Bronco, Cloud crossdressing and getting into a bathtub with a group of men, getting free panties, meeting a pimp who tries to make love to Cloud, going into Don Corneo's bondage room, and lots and lots of towns.

And I don't think SE of today can ever manage to create something like that at all. That company lacks vision.

I'm not really excited for the new consoles on the horizon, weirdly enough. Curious, but not really excited. Hell, I've been slipping backwards a bit as of late and started buying and collecting for older consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom