• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how is everyone doing with the 4 For February challenge (8 for me)? I'm almost done with my first game that is Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Pokemon Black is next! Might be able to finish M&L tonight.
I love Superstar Saga so very much, actually the same for Black, two of my favourite RPGs from the Nintendo side of things definitely.

Having vanquished Devil May Cry 3 i've continued tackling both Bioshock 2 and Bastion.

Bioshock 2 just feels unnecessary, i've felt fresher playing the downright thieving NSMB2. I almost wanted to call it quits earlier out of sheer boredom but the darkest hour is just before the dawn because then I got the motherfudgin' drill rush which does wonders for my melee focused approach to this game and makes things a bit more tolerable.
I can make it, slowly but surely new plasmids and tonics are making the gameplay a bit more interesting even if it feels like a retread of what I already played back in 2007 without the early gen hype behind it but overall i'm not rating this one too much, the shooting is sloppy, the drill has only just managed to get sort of useful, I mean how do you make a flippin' drill weaker than the awesome wrench from the first game?!

Bastion is an interesting one, it's carrying itself well on presentation even if the core gameplay is pretty basic, the narrator is all kinds of awesome, visual style is bursting with colour and i'm enjoying myself for the most part, it's not a game i'd shout high praise about but you know, it's good enough. I feel like i'm really playing it for the soundtrack though which has a pretty fantastic gritty country/blues style going on.

Still not sure what i'll do for game number four but as a side point finishing DMC3 made me pop in Bayonetta and attempt to carry on my hard mode run through the airship stage and I got the hell beaten out of me and have fled with my tail between my legs, I feel so terrible.

It's the end of the fiscal year, so that can be a reason. I certainly don't know why they didn't have HarmoKnight earlier, it would be perfect for a post Christmas drought. I've already done all the puzzles in picross e2, I need more!!!
It's basically one big dry season with an impending torrential downpour, typical Nintendo style release schedule though so really I shouldn't be surprised.

qq more

I love Superstar Saga so very much, actually the same for Black, two of my favourite RPGs from the Nintendo side of things definitely.

Superstar Saga is great but I think Pokemon Black is honestly disappointing so far. It's a good game but I think I've enjoyed Gen 4 far more (I love Platinum and Heart Gold). When I finish Black I might write up how I feel about the game.

Heropon

It's basically one big dry season with an impending torrential downpour, typical Nintendo style release schedule though so really I shouldn't be surprised.

I still remember the day they released Super Mario 3D Land, Skyward Sword and 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure all the same day. Hello? There are more months in the year apart from March and November!
Then they forgot about November in 2012.

Bastion's gameplay NEVER gets interesting, but boy do you feel like narrating your own life for awhile after playing it.

"The JC smiled after that last one, reminiscing about olden times. He spent several days with a raspy storyteller man's voice in his head, commenting on every mundane or exciting activity he saw."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So how is everyone doing with the 4 For February challenge (8 for me)? I'm almost done with my first game that is Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Pokemon Black is next! Might be able to finish M&L tonight.
Almost finished Corpse Party: Book of Shadows because Noi bugged me about it. :p

(The last chapter really is pretty spooky. Everything's out to get me. :x)

There was a time when I started to get sick of it but now it honestly doesn't bother me anymore.
Em5QdfE.gif
Ohhhh, I completely forgot that they're asking people to use their real names for their YT accounts. lol. Even so... I'd still look for that one good comment in the sea of 999 terrible comments and just respond to it. Even if the 999 other comments are spreading blatant lies, like this one. :|

Heh, sometimes it feels like they catch you between a rock and a hard place. Going back and reading some of the stuff on your tumblr makes me understand why you end up responding to some of their nonsense.

Why does everything have to drop in March? I'll be happy when the time comes but it's just such an odd decision.
What's coming out in March?

Superstar Saga is great but I think Pokemon Black is honestly disappointing so far. It's a good game but I think I've enjoyed Gen 4 far more (I love Platinum and Heart Gold). When I finish Black I might write up how I feel about the game.
Increased battle speed alone makes it dominate Gen 4 in my book, I can't replay those for toffee.
If you do write up something i'll gladly be the defence for this one, I could gush things about that one, funnily enough I don't much care for Black 2 at all though.

I still remember the day they released Super Mario 3D Land, Skyward Sword and 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure all the same day. Hello? There are more months in the year apart from March and November!
Then they forgot about November in 2012.

I was actually thinking of that day when making my previous post, then they had MK7 like two weeks later, yep, Vintage Nintendo right there.

Bastion's gameplay NEVER gets interesting, but boy do you feel like narrating your own life for awhile after playing it.

"The JC smiled after that last one, reminiscing about olden times. He spent several days with a raspy storyteller man's voice in his head, commenting on every mundane or exciting activity he saw."
I'm sure that without the narration the game wouldn't have anywhere near as much appeal, really it was a masterful decision.

What's coming out in March?
For me regarding the 3DS release schedule...
Monster Hunter Tri which has been incredibly long awaited among my local multiplayer brethren, i'm so ready.
Luigi's Mansion 2 could be solid, Next Level Games did great with Punch Out so i'll give them some faith.
Castlevania mirror of please don't suck but probably will, there's at least a demo planned for this one.
And if there's any justice Fire Emblem will make its Euro debut in early April so its close enough to March.
Hopefully HarmoKnight pops up at some point soon as well.

qq more

Increased battle speed alone makes it dominate Gen 4 in my book, I can't replay those for toffee.
If you do write up something i'll gladly be the defence for this one, I could gush things about that one, funnily enough I don't much care for Black 2 at all though.

The battle system is definitely better and I really like some of the Pokemon design. But the game itself... it feels really off, I couldn't get into it as much as I did with Platinum and Heart Gold.
It's definitely not a bad game, and not even the worst of the series but I felt it left much to be desired.

Noi

March for me is GOD OF WAR.

I will bathe in my foe's blood and show them online.

Almost finished Corpse Party: Book of Shadows because Noi bugged me about it. :p

(The last chapter really is pretty spooky. Everything's out to get me. :x)

Goood. Gooooooood.

God of Power Stone looks neat, but only got moneys for one GoW in March, and that has to be Judgement. Still giving Kratos a rental, though.

This month is all about REVEGEANCE

Cyber-ninja vs giant robots, psychic assassins, mecha gorillas, and KojiPro's redundant technobable

Yes.

(oh, and the sequel to GotY 2011, Rayman Legends, if it's not filled with touch screen minigames and shit)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Let's see... Neptunia Victory looks like the only thing I'm getting in March. Hmmm. Everything else is in April. Edit: I dunno if I'll pick up Revengeance day 1 yet.

Maybe..
-Frontier Gate (the best/+)
-Steins;Gate Vita (double pack if it's cheap; how many ports of steins;gate are there going to beeeee?!?!?!?!)

And LOL, no:
-Tales of Hearts R (because it's boring)

Hopefully HarmoKnight pops up at some point soon as well.
The footage looks interesting.

Noi said:
Goood. Gooooooood.
Not good. :/

And I wish that the game was more like this. I enjoyed the Tomokazu Sugita chapters, and this epilogue seems alright. Everything else, though, I could have really done without.

The battle system is definitely better and I really like some of the Pokemon design. But the game itself... it feels really off, I couldn't get into it as much as I did with Platinum and Heart Gold.
It's definitely not a bad game, and not even the worst of the series but I felt it left much to be desired.
I don't have anything to go on here!

I remember that day because I got my driver's license and then when I went home I had three new games awaiting me. Amazing.
I had 3D Land, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Skyward Sword coming in that week and somehow they all managed to arrive on separate days (all before the friday though), it was kind of weird but it was magnificent.

March for me is GOD OF WAR.

I will bathe in my foe's blood and show them online.
I'm still surprised at how much I enjoyed the beta when I played it at a friends since i'd written it off as a ticking off the checklist multiplayer component, somehow won my first match despite not knowing how to play for 5 minutes which is like the opposite of my usual online debuts.

God of Power Stone looks neat, but only got moneys for one GoW in March, and that has to be Judgement. Still giving Kratos a rental, though.

Cyber-ninja vs giant robots, psychic assassins, mecha gorillas, and KojiPro's redundant technobable

Yes.

(oh, and the sequel to GotY 2011, Rayman Legends, if it's not filled with touch screen minigames and shit)
I'll probably play the PAL regions favourite game when it comes to Revengeance, the waiting game! price drop in a month, Platinum may be worth full price but Cyborg Raiden invalidates that.

Is it controversial if I liked playing that one murphy stage in the demo more than the Mosquito stages in Origins? because I really did, especially in co-op.

Noi

Yes.

Oh yes.

I'm going to flip my shit at Hideo on twitter if they don't let me use the Cyborg Ninja skin from the start.

I'm still surprised at how much I enjoyed the beta when I played it at a friends since i'd written it off as a ticking off the checklist multiplayer component, somehow won my first match despite not knowing how to play for 5 minutes which is like the opposite of my usual online debuts.

I didn't play the beta cause I'm all for going in blind/doing media blackouts on games I'm going to buy 100%nodoubtaboutit. Some friends have been trying to trick me into watching the first 30 minutes footage that's floating around and I'm like

DarkSoulsNOPE.gif

I'll probably pick up Revengeance sometime, always glad to support a Platinum developed game.

I probably won't be able to appreciate it as much as I could, since my knowledge of the series is limited solely to MGS1, though. (Oh hey, I guess I can make MGS2 one of my February games.)

Random point: I witnessed my friend act out that Dark Souls gif when he first went down to Tomb of Giants the other day, nothing beats watching someone's first encounter with those skeledogs and their flailing barrage of death.

BlackJace

While I believe GAF circle-jerks it a bit too much, Dark Souls really was something else. Dark fantasy is a rarity nowadays, and me going in blind resulted in one of the coolest and most harrowing experiences I've had this gen, if not, ever.

Hard to believe they'll top it in DSII though.

I still like Demon's Souls better.

For no other reason that Demon's Souls was "new" when I first played it and Dark Souls is just Demon's Souls 2 with another name.

They played similarly so I actually found Dark Souls easier than the first game.

I didn't watch the 30 minute opener, either. We saw too damn much of God of War 3, not having that happen again.

I'll probably pick up Revengeance sometime, always glad to support a Platinum developed game.

I probably won't be able to appreciate it as much as I could, since my knowledge of the series is limited solely to MGS1, though. (Oh hey, I guess I can make MGS2 one of my February games.)

Just know that if you can't make sense of MGS2's story, you're doing it right.

At any rate, it's Platinum, that's usually a seal of quality quirky japanese action.

They kinda replaced Treasure for me, in a way. Treasure is equally brilliant at action titles, but the team is still so small(20-30 employees), even compared to PG. They've only done one new console game this entire generation(Sin and Punishment Star Successor which maaaay be their finest game yet, but that's beside the point!), and mostly been handhelds or ports of their classics to XBLA.

Noi

I've never legit fought one of those dogs head-on. Never had a proper build for it, so I just run past them on my way to Nito. >_>

Hard to believe they'll top it in DSII though.

I have issues with lots of spots in DaSo that I didn't have with Demon's Souls, so I actually think I may like II more. The last half in particular is a poor showing of how the game was rushed to release.

..Hell, server based matchmaking instead of P2P alone will make it a better game.

I still like Demon's Souls better.

Swartzenager-Predator.gif

Most of Dark Souls final third (after Anor Londo) is flawed in some outright obvious ways (bed of chaos can eat a dick) but i'll be damned if it wasn't a hell of an experience overall that's made one hell of an impact for me when I think back over the games from this gen, the way the world map connects brings tears to my eyes, this is how open worlds should be done.
for whatever reasons whenever I played Demon's Souls though I just couldn't get it to click, I should try again one day.

I'll agree that the circle jerking is a bit much at times but at least I get why it gets the treatment.

They kinda replaced Treasure for me, in a way. Treasure is equally brilliant at action titles, but the team is still so small(20-30 employees), even compared to PG. They've only done one new console game this entire generation(Sin and Punishment Star Successor which maaaay be their finest game yet, but that's beside the point!), and mostly been handhelds or ports of their classics to XBLA.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I hold both studios in high regards, but Platinum's been a lot more prevalent this gen.

Sciz

Rayman's a given, but aside from that, Path of Exile's got its hooks in me something fierce and doesn't cost a dime. Other loot games only wish they were as smartly designed.

Nintendo would be really fucking smart to get Treasure working on something for Wii U right about now. S&P3 or whatever, who cares, just something (something with a budget, not Bangai-O 3 or something).

Noi

I've never played any of 'em, I just thought the first two with the original designer would be the best

Forever is a "best of" collection with the best stages from both and the few redeemable stages from Beautiful. It has a ton of gameplay modes/graphic filters, awesome music and is beautiful at 1080p!

We Love Katamari is generally considered to be the best, I don't think I've ever seen anyone give a fuck about the games beyond that until now, and given how fucking strange some of the opinions you guys have about games that just kinda fits

although Forever does sound pretty good

Noi

The PSP and 360 ones are hot garbage, and the Vita one is eh at best. I just say Forever if you have a PS3, OG two if you don't.

You'd be surprised at how easy Namdai can fuck up a formula as simple as "roll shit up to make a giant ball."

Forever it is then

I'm more surprised that the series ever got popular in the first place. I mean, it looks like the nichest weird-ass Japanese game on the PS2 this side of Mr. Mosquito. And now they got ports to damn near every system.

Forever it is then

I'm more surprised that the series ever got popular in the first place. I mean, it looks like the nichest weird-ass Japanese game on the PS2 this side of Mr. Mosquito. And now they got ports to damn near every system.

We here in the UK didn't get the first game. We got the second one though, before Namco started publishing games over here themselves too.

Guess who published it. Guess.

Even Gungrave got a sequel. Who was the market for that one, "impressionable 12-year old boys grown up on Toonami and The Matrix?"

Because it worked on me! That and the opening shot that pans down from the impossibly huge final stage citadel to curious bleeding girl in the slums

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Remember when EA was trying to turn around their shitty image?

What happened?

btw, JC--you all did real good in this thread. I'm waiting until DmC decreases in price, myself. The only thing I liked about the demo were the aerial combos.

Yes.

JC knows what the fuck is up.

qq more

Metal Gear Rising looks amazing. I'll have to hold off on buying it because I need to play MGS4 first... that and I always wait for a price drop. I never buy games for 60 dollars. The demo (from ZoE HD collection) was really cool.

Can a Computer Make You Cry?

“Right now, no one knows. This is partly because many would consider the very idea frivolous. But it’s also because whoever successfully answers this question must first have answered several others.

Why do we cry? Why do we laugh, or love, or smile? What are the touchstones of our emotions?

Until now, the people who asked such questions tended not to be the same people who ran software companies. Instead, they were writers, filmmakers, painters, musicians. They were, in the traditional sense, artists.

We’re about to change that tradition. The name of our company is Electronic Arts.

We are finding that the computer can be more than just a processor of data.

It is a communications medium: an interactive tool that can bring people’s thoughts and feelings closer together, perhaps closer than ever before. And while fifty years from now, its creation may seem no more important than the advent of motion pictures or television, there is a chance it will mean something more.

Something along the lines of a universal language of ideas and emotions. Something like a smile.

The first publications of Electronic Arts are now available. We suspect you’ll be hearing a lot about them. Some of them are games like you’ve never seen before, that get more out of your computer than other games ever have. Others are harder to categorize—and we like that.

Watch us.

We’re providing a special environment for talented, independent software artists. It’s a supportive environment, in which big ideas are given room to grow. And some of America’s most respected software artists are beginning to take notice.

We think our current work reflects this very special commitment. And though we are few in number today and apart from the mainstream of the mass software marketplace, we are confident that both time and vision are on our side.

Join us. We see farther.”
- Electronic Arts manifesto, 1992

Boy, those guys sound really interesting! Hope they don't turn into a giant evil video game corporation or whatever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom