• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
"Join us. We see farther." - Electronic Arts manifesto, 1992

Boy, those guys sound really interesting! Hope they don't turn into a giant evil video game corporation or whatever!
I wonder if Activision had something like that. I could have swore they did, or at least, the conception of the company was based on the fact that they couldn't take Atari's corporatism anymore.

Fake Edit: It was something like... way back, games on Atari 2600 or something were published exclusively by Atari. Obviously devs didn't like this because they couldn't profit financially on bestsellers or they couldn't get credits (thus you find some Easter Egg credits in some of these really old games). Atari's CEO pissed them off when they asked about getting royalties for games and he said no, so they went on to create Activision, the first 3rd party publisher for the 2600, taking some away the monopoly Atari had on that system's games.

What they did was they started promoting games and their game developers when marketing the game or writing the game manuals, because they cared a lot about their developers getting some sort of recognition. That caused a bunch of devs to migrate to their publishing services, so they can get the credit they deserved.

Funny how things change.

I saw a video of the final boss fight in that game today.

There is no amount of convincing anyone can do to me to make me pay Capcom for that atrocity.
Need links because I don't care one ounce about the story or the characters so I don't mind being spoiled.

Noi

Need links because I don't care one ounce about the story or the characters so I don't mind being spoiled.

Here ya go.

It looks like a worse version of DMC3's final boss. And even on Normal he wasn't as pathetic.

The PS2 had better attack effects than that.

Edit: Hmm, this video is using the white hair costume. Eh, whatever. Dino just
goes perma-white hair at the end anyway.

ShadiWulf

for anyone that's been keeping up with SEGA's USA roadtrolling, they were in Missouri today

26xlt.jpg

http://twitter.yfrog.com/nx26xltj

Here ya go.

It looks like a worse version of DMC3's final boss. And even on Normal he wasn't as pathetic.

This is the final boss fight? Are you shitting me?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Here ya go.

This is pathetic. What was that? This looks... slow. Why is it so easy to hit him in the back? Why do most attacks look easy to dodge/parry? The game's best asset seemed to have been aerial combat, so I'm a little shocked that it didn't take precedence here.

Speaking of DMC3, DMC3's Vergil Battle 1 and 2 were really good. I'm very partial to Vergil Battle 1 partially because of the setting and music. Such a good introduction to the character battle-wise. And I liked the voice actors. *shrug*

Well... the game... is colourful? I guess? That looks like it's the best part of the game.

Eh, just that aesthetics are pretty much what the game has going for it. Apparently all the boss fights in the game are awful, and the one I linked is apparently the "best" one.
Oh dear.

for anyone that's been keeping up with SEGA's USA roadtrolling, they were in Missouri today

http://a.yfrog.com/img861/761/26xlt.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://twitter.yfrog.com/nx26xltj[/url][/QUOTE]
Sonic Adventure 3: Sonic's Shitty Cross-Country Road Trip (where GUN gives him a speeding ticket)

Next game's going to take place in the United States of America.

The bosses are aesthetically nice, but mechanically shallow. It's like they took some GoW bosses and put them in a DMC game, which plays to none of the strengths of either franchises.

The final boss is the first one that feels like a DMC boss(well, that and the first one), and he's just a slow, sad, pale imitation of DMC3 version.

That kinda sums up the game, really.

Noi

I liked the part where he did Starfall even though he doesn't have an in-universe reason to use that move cause he doesn't have Beowulf. And the part were Judgement Cut/Rapid Slash where just gusts of wind. And the cinematic breaks between the battle. And the needing to use DT in order to deal the final blow.

...I'll give it a rental. Someday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The bosses are aesthetically nice, but mechanically shallow. It's like they took some GoW bosses and put them in a DMC game, which plays to none of the strengths of either franchises.
This. It looked like he was constructed to just takes hits and for the player to dodge periodically. There's nothing telling the player to go in for elegant and varied combat. There's nothing telling the player to switch it up every now and then and complete split-second dodges because you can lose a large chunk of health if you fuck up. Nothing telling the player to properly connect combos and not necessarily stunlock the enemy, but try to keep them at bay until they try to gain the upper hand against you because the AI script isn't that easy to overcome.

All I'm being told--at least through that video--is that I have to admire the pretty environments, pay attention to the narrative that the writers constructed, and cruise my way to beating the boss up to get to the ending. That's not satisfying! Not in a Devil May Cry game! Again, I haven't played the game myself so I could be wrong and could probably eat my words when I do play it.

I'm slightly legit mad because the three best action games to me are: DMC3:SE, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden: Black. This is nothing like them. If that's the best boss fight in the game, then holy shit it doesn't live up to what DMC3/DMC1 left behind.

I liked the part where he did Starfall even though he doesn't have an in-universe reason to use that move cause he doesn't have Beowulf. And the part where Judgement Cut/Rapid Slash where just gusts of wind. And the cinematic breaks between the battle. And the needing to use DT in order to deal the final blow.

...I'll give it a rental. Someday.
I can't stand this kind of stuff either. :/

Yeah, fuckin' cutscene interruptions every 20% damage done, that's what I want in my action games.

and there's no lock-on, so have fun trying to battle the right guy at the end when it's 2-on-1

Also, the story is nothing to go on about, either. It starts off promising enough, but it fizzles out in the second half and gets real predictable. Character motivations change at the drop of a hat. Also, just from a performance standpoint, the vocal deliveries and motion capture is actually pretty weak for Ninja Theory. Nobody in the game is as good as Serkis or Shaw from Enslaved.

Noi

Where's that interview about Ninja Theory putting arm blades on everything for no reason.

I'm slightly legit mad because the three best action games to me are: DMC3:SE, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden: Black. This is nothing like them. If that's the best boss fight in the game, then holy shit it doesn't live up to what DMC3/DMC1 left behind.

Anyone whose played Enslaved/Heavenly Sword could have told you this from the moment the rumor of them working on it popped up. I'd wager the only reason they got an average, working action game running is because of Capcom basically baby'ing them every step of the way.

I can't stand this kind of stuff either. :/

I don't mind it when it's done for like, form transitions (and it has to be like huge, fight-changing ones) or stage transitions (every god of war). Anything else though is just interrupting a fight for no reason.

26xlt.jpg

http://twitter.yfrog.com/nx26xltj
Oh, I get it, they're after the fastest... internet speeds in the country and have slowly been making their way to Kansas City to get in on Google Fiber. Clever!

Next game's going to take place in the United States of America.
Wasn't that "Empire City" in Unleashed? I mean, I suppose it'd make more sense if that was just the place Skyscraper Scamper took place in, but then every other stage uses the country name instead of the city name, so by extension, the entire USA is "Empire City".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I heard DmC has
a Slurm factory
level because reasons.

I've never played Enslaved. is this man speaking truths

Noi said:
I don't mind it when it's done for like, form transitions (and it has to be like huge, fight-changing ones) or stage transitions (every god of war). Anything else though is just interrupting a fight for no reason.
If they have to recite dialogue while they fight, then just have them recite the dialogue while the battle's going on? I know there's a chance that the player won't be able to hear everything the writer intended for them to hear that way just in case they kill people quickly, but this is an action game. Things should be seamless since the goal is to adequately and quickly connect combos and prevent the enemy AI getting you on your back.

ViewtifulJC said:
and there's no lock-on, so have fun trying to battle the right guy at the end when it's 2-on-1
yaaaaaaay.

Wasn't that "Empire City" in Unleashed? I mean, I suppose it'd make more sense if that was just the place Skyscraper Scamper took place in, but then every other stage uses the country name instead of the city name, so by extension, the entire USA is "Empire City".
Now they're going to have the "City of Angels", "Windy City", "Hogstown", "Jungle City"/"Chilltown", etc.

I was kidding. :p

Either these teases are red herrings, or they're legitimately planning something.

qq more

The cutscenes during the boss fight is so stupid and pointless. And the music is sooooo generic. Geez.

DmC was created to hold all the cursing qq more didn't do within that week.

What have I done...? I'm so sorry DmC fans!

On a side note, I think the challenge may have done a long lasting effect on me. I actually finding myself holding back some swear words and rewriting my messages! At least in this forum. Actually, I feel a lot more calm than usual... I bet if it wasn't for that I would of have joined that brutal discussion in that Sonic thread in the gaming section. :lol

I was kidding. :p
You may have been, but I'm seriously trying to figure out if they were implying the entire country was "Empire City" or if that was just an oddball in their naming scheme. (Probably the latter.)

And if these aren't giant red herrings, then yeah, it's pretty obvious that the game they're hinting at is a grand ol' all-American cross-country tour. I'm actually pretty okay with this; the US has a pretty damn diverse set of biomes. (Plus it'd give them an excuse to finally do country music, seeing as it's, like, the one genre the series hasn't tapped into, unless you count Hill Top Zone.)

That Sanford and Son gif was unintentionally recreated by me and my friends in high school. There was this presentation where, I forget, some kind of Coast Guard was there, and he telling us how dangerous this stun rod was. He flipped it in the air, caught it, and hurt himself.

Kevin made the "did that nigga really just...." face, turned to the left, and I shook my head, and it just kinda went down the line.

Sciz

DmC might only sell half as much as previous entries in the series at best, but I'm sure Capcom's accountants will enjoy the feel of having a big hit.

That's how numbers work, I was assured.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Canada has lots of biomes toooooooo. :(

Maybe Sonic Adventure 3 is supposed to take place in an Americanized place. But I thought it was that way from the start, hence I'm leaning towards these being a red herring.

I won't lie: I burst out laughing when I saw this video.

Those are seriously things you do in the game?!

qq more said:
On a side note, I think the challenge may have done a long lasting effect on me. I actually finding myself holding back some swear words and rewriting my messages! At least in this forum. Actually, I feel a lot more calm than usual... I bet if it wasn't for that I would have joined that brutal discussion in that Sonic thread in the gaming section. :lol
You say that now. It's just a short-term effect of it, I think. In the long-term, you'll fall into some habits.

Something becomes habitual after an average of 21 days, actually. So... if you can keep it up for 21 days, maybe then you'll find it easier? Just don't hold back when you feel legitimately pissed off. It's not good to hold feelings like that in at all.

Other things I learned in neuroscience classes: you lose your audience after 20 minutes (on average) of lecturing because they've become accustomed to your voice and tone after a while. Other distractions become more enticing.

qq more

Maybe Sonic Adventure 3 is supposed to take place in an Americanized place. But I thought it was that way from the start, hence I'm leaning towards these being a red herring.

Pssshhhh. Canada more like Ice Cap Zone.

Kidding, kidding. I've been to Canada once, it was nice. Coincidentally it was during my birthday week... weird timing.

You say that now. It's just a short-term effect of it, I think. In the long-term, you'll fall into some habits.

Something becomes habitual after an average of 21 days, actually. So... if you can keep it up for 21 days, maybe then you'll find it easier? Just don't hold back when you feel legitimately pissed off. It's not good to hold feelings like that in at all.

Oh, that's interesting... I guess I'll eventually go back to old self. I honestly feel really conflicted about it now. Does my posts look better with the lack of bitterness? I can't honestly tell.

You know what habit I want to get rid of? Procrastination. I need to work on my game more...

Noi

Enslaved has a section where, without the least bit of irony, the main character has a "big guy too dumb for computers, big guy smash!" moment and makes the computer work to move on.

It was right there that I knew that anyone who ever told me that NT were master writers was full of shit.

Enslaved has a section where, without the least bit of irony, the main character has a "big guy too dumb for computers, big guy smash!" moment and makes the computer work to move on.

It was right there that I knew that anyone who ever told me that NT were master writers was full of shit.

There's this one moment in Justice League Unlimited where Batman does the same thing, and that always amused me. "Hmm, Darkseid has taken over Brainiac mainframe....fuck it*two-handed smash, somehow it works*"

--

Unrelated, but I realized I never beat S3&K as Tails, despite playing that game upwards of 100 times since I got it for my birthday in '94. I didn't even he had a super form for several years after that.

I don't doubt it! Most countries do. However, I'm mostly unfamiliar with Canada's geography to know them.

I dunno, the other Adventures mixed it up a bit. SA1 has you visiting deep into South America on occasion, for instance, while SA2 tosses in Egypt somewhat arbitrarily.

It'd be nice to have a game that can go from the towering skyscrapers of New York to the wide vistas of the Grand Canyon to the frozen expanses of Alaska to the muddy swamps of the bayou to the sunny beaches of Hawaii or similar.

Also, I want an excuse for them to make music like this. (Although the first game's was debatably better, I dunno.)

I dunno, I think it's a good thing he's not so inclined to curse. One thing my folks hammered into me is that most places that expect you be a professional don't condone foul language, so it's best to hold back on it. (My experiences in the workforce have been remarkably different from this, but regardless, I like to hold it back, except for, say, an extremely heat-of-the-moment response - like, blurting out "shit!" when something fragile's in the process of falling over and you have to make a mad dash to stop it.)

qq more

I find it incredibly lame that Super Tails/Super Knuckles don't exist anymore. It's always Super [HEDGEHOG CHARACTER GOES HERE] nowadays

I find it incredibly lame that Super Tails/Super Knuckles don't exist anymore. It's always Super [HEDGEHOG CHARACTER GOES HERE] nowadays
Sonic Heroes had Super Tails/Knuckles, didn't it?

Except they just put a glowy sphere over them, only Sonic actually changed colors or anything special. I dunno, I gave up on Heroes long before reaching Metal Madness.

qq more

Sonic Heroes had Super Tails/Knuckles, didn't it?

Except they just put a glowy sphere over them, only Sonic actually changed colors or anything special. I dunno, I gave up on Heroes long before reaching Metal Madness.

Pretty sure it's just some Super Sonic shield

IDK I never got that far in Heroes to be honest

I remember being very disappointed at the climax of Sonic Adventure, because Knuckles didn't go get the Hyper Emeralds or whatever to help Sonic fight Perfect Chaos. He and Tails kinda sat on the sidelines while the Super Sai-uh, hedgehogs do all the work, again and again.

edit: I was never assed enough to go through Sonic Heroes FOUR TIMES with four different teams to get that Metal Madness section. Lord almighty is Metal Sonic's design in that game awful.

Noi

You guys make Koko sad.

But yeah, there's no Hyper Knuckles/Tails in Heroes, just a shield around them. And they fly around in spaaaaace.

qq more

In speaking of Metal Sonic... am I the only one that liked Metal Sonic Kai? (final boss from Knuckles Chaotix? I thought it looked cool

qq more

People suggesting to get rid of Robotnik/Eggman in the Sonic franchise hurts my feelings. How can you hate such a lovable funny villain?

yes there's a thread about that for some reason

People suggesting to get rid of Robotnik/Eggman in the Sonic franchise hurts my feelings. How can you hate such a lovable funny villain?

yes there's a thread about that for some reason
I'm pretty sure the OP was asking it in a "I don't seriously want this to happen, but if push came to shove, could it be done?" kind of sense.

Plus the first snarky bastard to quip "lolol who's Eggman I only know Robotnik" misspelled it was "Robotnic", which was close enough that I could make a Sonic the Fighters "Robotonic" reference, which felt good, even though nobody noticed.

qq more

I'm pretty sure the OP was asking it in a "I don't seriously want this to happen, but if push came to shove, could it be done?" kind of sense.

Plus the first snarky bastard to quip "lolol who's Eggman I only know Robotnik" misspelled it was "Robotnic", which was close enough that I could make a Sonic the Fighters "Robotonic" reference, which felt good, even though nobody noticed.

Yeah, I know but just the thought of getting rid of Robotnik is just crazy!

Emitan

Eggman/Robotnik is the best Sonic character. Why would you get rid of him? Also Sonic needs to be more of an asshole because he's surrounded by morons and freaks and it would be funny.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pssshhhh. Canada more like Ice Cap Zone.
All the islands in the north that're part of Canada, maybe. ;)

Just make a Sonic game based on this.

I dunno, the other Adventures mixed it up a bit. SA1 has you visiting deep into South America on occasion, for instance, while SA2 tosses in Egypt somewhat arbitrarily.

It'd be nice to have a game that can go from the towering skyscrapers of New York to the wide vistas of the Grand Canyon to the frozen expanses of Alaska to the muddy swamps of the bayou to the sunny beaches of Hawaii or similar.

Also, I want an excuse for them to make music like this. (Although the first game's was debatably better, I dunno.)
First game's was better.

Has Sonic ever just gone for a Pacific Ocean/Asian-centric level assortment before (like, not just Chun-nan and Adabat; I mean for the entire thing), or does it typically just adhere to general Sonic guidelines for level selection (ex: ruins zone, fire zone, ice zone, etc)?

I've wanted Sonic to experiment with different artstyles for a while now, and going for a watercolour-esque/oil painting sort of affair with respect to levels that look like they come from the Pacific Rim or Asia would be a little interesting to me. Almost like Sonic's Final Fantasy X in a way. *shrug* But would people dig Sonic games with different artstyles a la Zelda or something like that? I personally would.

...This is basically code for: "I want another Sonic World Adventure and I know I'm never going to get it."

It's like my feelings just don't matter anymore..
That's why I don't talk about Metal Overlord much anymore. I know it'll make you feel kinda disappointed. :p

I do think some people questioning your taste with regards to the Adventure games in other threads steps over the line a bit, though. Whatever, you like 'em, you like 'em. No need to get upset over it because opinions are surprisingly a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom