• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently finished rewatching the series up to the Cell Saga (My personal favorite saga) and it's still a great watch. Abridged has kinda ruined it in some respects, though, heh. (Particularly in Nappa's case.)

Oh, you'll know when you see it. Funny you got a Rock avatar, because that second part where he goes CRAZY about pirating I had Revy in my head.

Also, I do like that he's gonna protest against the war against used games buy going strictly PC...which hasn't had a used game scene in what, two decades? Pick ya battles, champ

Well, to be fair, we don't know if Sony is going ahead with similar plans.

Actually, we don't even know for a fact that Microsoft is going ahead with this, just rumors that Edge spread. It's not like Microsoft is gonna go out of their way to point this out, either; it's probably one of those little footnotes an astute GAF reader will stumble upon hiding at the bottom of a slide and decide to make a 200-page thread on (deservedly), instead of an advertised feature. Kinda like Nintendo's "online purchases presently tied to one console" thing; you won't know about it until it's already out there.

BlackJace

Oh, you'll know when you see it. Funny you got a Rock avatar, because that second part where he goes CRAZY about pirating I had Revy in my head.

Also, I do like that he's gonna protest against the war against used games buy going strictly PC...which hasn't had a used game scene in what, two decades? Pick ya battles, champ

Awesome I'm about to look for it. And a fellow fan of Black Lagoon? *pounds*

Quackula

Well, to be fair, we don't know if Sony is going ahead with similar plans.

Actually, we don't even know for a fact that Microsoft is going ahead with this, just rumors that Edge spread. It's not like Microsoft is gonna go out of their way to point this out, either; it's probably one of those little footnotes an astute GAF reader will stumble upon hiding at the bottom of a slide and decide to make a 200-page thread on (deservedly), instead of an advertised feature. Kinda like Nintendo's "online purchases presently tied to one console" thing; you won't know about it until it's already out there.

Part of me would love to see an attempt at advertising that as a "feature".

NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SELLING OFF YOUR GAMES ANYMORE!!

Noi

Too lazy to multi-quote so

I'm not too bitten up over the Rayman thing because it means I get to play a version without touchscreen Murphy. That alone is worth the 7 month delay. >_>

Schala reppin' that Rondo of Blood. ^5

I'll play a Sonic Adventure 3 as long as it's not needlessly bloated. Heck, I'll play as shitty friends as long as it's not fishingcollecttheemeraldssneakintoyourownbase bullshit.

DBZ will always be the hotness. Though, ironically, DBZ Abridged is probably the best way to see the series nowadays.

Anti-used/always-online consoles can got to hell, I'll stick to catching up on this gen's games if both Sony and MS decide to hop on that non-sense.

Part of me would love to see an attempt at advertising that as a "feature".

NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SELLING OFF YOUR GAMES ANYMORE!!

TIRED OF DEALING WITH GAMESTOP CUSTOMER SERVICE OR SKETCHY ONLINE RETAILERS!?

BOY DO WE HAVE A PLAN FOR YOU!

ALL VIDEO GAMES AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH OUR ONLINE STORE, FOREVER, AND NOWHERE ELSE!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, if you're streaming something, just feel free to say so in here. Pretty sure we'll be gentle this time in the chat.

Oh good. I'm actually home for one of these. :p

Aw, he sounds like he has the cough everyone has. I have it too and I've needed to take my puffers more often just because of that.

TIRED OF DEALING WITH GAMESTOP CUSTOMER SERVICE OR SKETCHY ONLINE RETAILERS!?

BOY DO WE HAVE A PLAN FOR YOU!

ALL VIDEO GAMES AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH OUR ONLINE STORE, FOREVER, AND NOWHERE ELSE!
Why do these game companies never ever take into account that we have shitty bandwidth in Canada? I can't always stay online, nor can I download a ton of stuff (like gigs and gigs of shit). Eff that. Don't get me wrong; I like digital content and some online features. It's just that I can't do it often because of some of the ISPs/our government here.

Schala reppin' that Rondo of Blood. ^5

I'll play a Sonic Adventure 3 as long as it's not needlessly bloated. Heck, I'll play as shitty friends as long as it's not fishingcollecttheemeraldssneakintoyourownbase bullshit.
Yeah, I think I might be more partial to SA3 if it's not completely bloated and the friends play decently. And if the story isn't heavily emphasized/isn't grimdark.

I love PCE Rondo. The music's soooo goooood.

BlackJace

I hate to sound overly negative, but I don't think I'd really care for a hypothetical Sonic Adventure 3 in any way, shape or form.

I'm starting to believe the rumors. Hunnud P would only be asked to do audio work for something like the Knuckles levels. And the random pics of the Sonic plush in different locations has me suspicious. Also, its been over a damn year with nothing but a Kart racer.

Like it or not, Adventure 3 fits the bill of a big unnamed project that's been under wraps so long.

Sonic Generations, but with all-new stages instead of retreads of old ones, and the Adventure moniker clumsily tossed-on?

See, I wouldn't mind this, but I really don't have any faith that Sega (even with the goodwill they've been building up these past couple of years) would attach the Adventure name to the game and not stick in stuff like unnecessary hub worlds, or a bunch of playable characters.

Eh, I can deal with hub worlds, provided they're small and easy to navigate like Sonic Adventure's were (or just small, like Unleashed's) and not the giant, empty voids that plagued 2K6.

And alternative characters... okay, this one, I share your concern with. Ideally they'd build on Sonic's gameplay style somehow, but I'm not entirely sure how they'd do it, since AFAIK Tails and Knuckles don't boost all over the place.

Noi

I wouldn't actually mind Brawler-esque gameplay as Knuckles, give him a reason to punch shit instead of just dig around and collect shiny trinkets. Thats all Sonic Team seem to think he's good for, even in '06.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wouldn't actually mind Brawler-esque gameplay as Knuckles, give him a reason to punch shit instead of just dig around and collect shiny trinkets. Thats all Sonic Team seem to think he's good for, even in '06.
That's what should have probably happened in Unleashed's night levels, 'cept with better strength/enemy balancing.

And less BEES.

Noi

Well I'm not saying to give him stretchy limbs and stuff, but just flesh out his ground combat a bit. It'd be a lot more appealing if you could attack in different ways instead of just pressing attack 3 times in a row and getting the same attack every time. The level thing for the Power character in Heroes wasn't that bad of an idea.

Guess Who

Banned
Sonic Generations, but with all-new stages instead of retreads of old ones, and the Adventure moniker clumsily tossed-on?

Been there, done that.

qcsboNE.jpg

And the random pics of the Sonic plush in different locations has me suspicious.

Sonic confirmed for visiting a Sonic, getting a speeding ticket, and eating a giant donut in SA3?

Ferr986

It'd be a lot more appealing if you could attack in different ways instead of just pressing attack 3 times in a row and getting the same attack every time.

I remember the HD Werehog having a somewhat good variety of combos (not DMC level of variety but good enough for the game it was). Problem is that the enemies were so easy you didnt need to use them.

That made some levels kind of boring (the ones with most fighting). The more platforming oriented levels of the Werehog were way more fun (like Skyscrapper Scamper or Cool Edge).

Eh, I can deal with hub worlds, provided they're small and easy to navigate like Sonic Adventure's were (or just small, like Unleashed's) and not the giant, empty voids that plagued 2K6.

Yup, I enjoyed them in SA1 and Unleashed, but I know a lot of people hate them, so the best should be making them 100% optional for the main story (like, after completing a level, select to go to the hub for doing some trials or directly to the next level).

TheOGB

Banned
That's what should have probably happened in Unleashed's night levels, 'cept with better strength/enemy balancing.

And less BEES.
It could've been Sonic & Knuckles RPG 2.

I remember the HD Werehog having a somewhat good variety of combos (not DMC level of variety but good enough for the game it was). Problem is that the enemies were so easy you didnt need to use them.

That made some levels kind of boring (the ones with most fighting). The more platforming oriented levels of the Werehog were way more fun (like Skyscrapper Scamper or Cool Edge).

Yup, I enjoyed them in SA1 and Unleashed, but I know a lot of people hate them, so the best should be making them 100% optional for the main story (like, after completing a level, select to go to the hub for doing some trials or directly to the next level).
Ehhhhhhhhh. I see what you mean, but the way Werehog controls...

Ferr986

Ehhhhhhhhh. I see what you mean, but the way Werehog controls...

Yeah I know, controls do need some time to get used (no shadow for the Werehog, the hold B, not just press thingy), but when you get used to them they were more fun, atleast for me.

Fighting focused stages like Arid Sands Night got boring fast. Maybe if the game had more interesting enemies...

Meanwhile, near DC, all we get is a light drizzle.

I'm not complaining, though. I don't want to have to drive to work through a minimum of a foot of snow.

I just bought and downloaded the DMC HD collection last night and just started DMC 1 today.

This game is still fuckin' good. The lock-on is a little archaic because they force you to hold the button, but you get used to it.

I was thinking about completing the collection in order but I might skip DMC2 because I want to compare the DMC1 and DMC3 directly.

Who doesn't love Top Man?
Actually there's a theme where the opening bit feels a bit odd compared to the greatness that follows, i'd say it's the opposite of what you were trying to pin on Snake Man.
Great soundtrack overall, except Gemini Man which grates after a while.

What does Hip Tanaka have to do with Mega Man 3?

And Top Man's theme is quite good, although I think my favorite from the game is Magnet Man. Listened to outside of the context of the stage it plays in, it tends to make me think of wide open vistas, filled with green hills and misty mountains, set to either the rising or setting of the sun. Which is about as far away from an underground metallic bunker of spikes, pits and annoying disappearing block segments as you can get, really, but regardless, it's a great piece.

Spark Man's theme is my favorite, although it arguably has the same "epic intro, underwhelming intro) problem Snake Man's theme does.

Gemini Man's theme is horrible though, holy shit.

Sciz

Who doesn't love Top Man?
Actually there's a theme where the opening bit feels a bit odd compared to the greatness that follows, i'd say it's the opposite of what you were trying to pin on Snake Man.

Going the other way is fine, it's just immediately ratcheting the intensity down that flows poorly.

What does Hip Tanaka have to do with Mega Man 3?

Pokémon.

Also, although I like the tune, Shadow Man's theme is far more upbeat and quirky than I would expect of a ninja's theme song.

Well, he's also an alien.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom