• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
A top 10 list for essential platformers would be boring. A top 50 list like the RPG thread, however, could be a lot more interesting. Once everybody gets the expected Mario titles out of their system, there would be a lot to explore and discuss. I would make a pretty strong case for Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, and some other titles that don't have the word Mario in them.
Well it would be top 50, you choose 10 to vote with.
A top 10 overall would be a pretty lame operation and hardly the grand undertaking worthy of an Essentials thread.

Well, that might have to apply to some other series as well... coughsoniccough... nah, I'd probably pick one and then add another as an honourable mention.

It was? I never really looked at that game as a platformer. It has platforming elements but I'd classify it as an adventure/experience game.
I was once told it was the best Mario game since SMG2, that was an odd day here on GAF.

Some other series you say? yes of course that sounds fair, everyone needs to vote for their 3D....Castlevanias!
Okay Sonic.

The only 3D Castlevania I've tried is the first N64 one, and I can't even clear the first stage of that before giving up wrestling with the combat mechanics.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I'm going to buy Soul Sacrifice. And the soundtrack.

I was once told it was the best Mario game since SMG2, that was an odd day here on GAF.
What.

Some other series you say? yes of course that sounds fair, everyone needs to vote for their 3D....Castlevanias!
Okay Sonic.
I don't even know how to classify the 3D Castlevanias anyway. Are they more like action games rather than 3D platformers?

I'm kinda weird in regards to Mario games. My favorites are SMB3 and 3D Land... and not much else. I started Galaxy a few years back, but just lost the drive to finish it, for some reason. Hell, 3D Land was the first 3D Mario game that didn't take me more than a month to fjnish.

The only 3D Castlevania I've tried is the first N64 one, and I can't even clear the first stage of that before giving up wrestling with the combat mechanics.

I don't even know how to classify the 3D Castlevanias anyway. Are they more like action games rather than 3D platformers?
I'm not actually that sure, the only one i've played was LoS that was clearly an action game.
I was just trying to think of a well regarded platforming series that flopped their 3D entries, i'm sure there's a Sonic joke in there.

When I inquired as to what in the blue hell they were on about I was met with a reply that was basically a bunch of big words designed to confuse me into submission, which it did.
All I got out of it was "the joy of movement in a 3D space".
But those Journey threads were always filled with silliness, you had the "not a game" attack force and then you had the defence force that decided that it's got as much pure gameplay as say Mario because you can move, jump and there were collectables in a lovely display of reductionist desperation, nonsense from everyone.
Of course as like most threads of differing opinions the answer is somewhere in the middle.

BHZ Mayor

Ahaha, well then, I apologise. :p

7 Marios, 1 Yoshi, 2 DKs (maybe 3) and one Wario if you're feeling nasty. But there's plenty more beyond that. All 3 MD Sonics are essential in my eyes (not including CD, as much as I love it), and then there's Kirby's Fun Pak, Mega Man 2/3/9, Crash 3, Ratchet/Jak/Sly, Spyro 2, Super Meat Boy, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Another World, Mirror's Edge... and yes, Rayman Origins. Does Super Monkey Ball count? I dunno, but it's definitely worth exploring.

Ctrl+F "Banjo"

Not found.

What the fuck Green Scar?

GAMERG0D

finally

ibuHkaHj2cEy7B.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Almost finished Fire Emblem. Today has been productive. It's a great game; great addition to the series gameplay-wise.

I just really dislike some of the characterization and trope stuff in it. But outside of that, the game part of it is really really good. Very happy with it (very happy that I got it a week early!), and very happy with all the difficulties present (because classic and casual do make a difference; Lunatic Classic can be fun and sometimes frustrating).

Yay! We can get our limbs cut off together!
I haven't played the demo yet, actually. I saw some gameplay that kyletwentytwo recorded, and it looked alright. I don't like some of the art direction, but it looked like it handled well.

It kinda is...
I need to play Journey again, because I kinda see where they were probably going with that, but to me, Journey isn't much of a pure platformer. It really is more of an adventure/exploration sort of affair. Confounding the stuff you can do in Journey with pure linear platforming principles seems a little strange.

But then we're getting into genre bleeding once again.

When I inquired as to what in the blue hell they were on about I was met with a reply that was basically a bunch of big words designed to confuse me into submission, which it did.
All I got out of it was "the joy of movement in a 3D space".
But those Journey threads were always filled with silliness, you had the "not a game" attack force and then you had the defence force that decided that it's got as much pure gameplay as say Mario because you can move, jump and there were collectables in a lovely display of reductionist desperation, nonsense from everyone.
Of course as like most threads of differing opinions the answer is somewhere in the middle.
Ohhhh, I think I remember what you're talking about. Mario being a sandbox of movement? I never got that out of Mario. Ever. A little bit of movement and complexity does not make for a sandbox sort of game, particularly because Mario isn't designed that way. Mario's more like... well, don't take this the wrong way, but it's quite linear. It's probably better to say that Journey's the best 3D-oriented platformer they've played in years. Not necessarily the best Mario game since... it's much different in terms of game design and initial premise.

The only KH game I reasonably like.

I need to play Journey again, because I kinda see where they were probably going with that, but to me, Journey isn't much of a pure platformer. It really is more of an adventure/exploration sort of affair. Confounding the stuff you can do in Journey with pure linear platforming principles seems a little strange.

But then we're getting into genre bleeding once again.

Oh, sorry, you can ignore that comment, I thought it said something else completely. Yeah, Journey ain't a platformer.

Ohhhh, I think I remember what you're talking about. Mario being a sandbox of movement? I never got that out of Mario. Ever. A little bit of movement and complexity does not make for a sandbox sort of game, particularly because Mario isn't designed that way. Mario's more like... well, don't take this the wrong way, but it's quite linear. It's probably better to say that Journey's the best 3D-oriented platformer they've played in years. Not necessarily the best Mario game since... it's much different in terms of game design and initial premise.

Well that's exactly it, I think I said why not just say it was the best 3D platformer you've played since SMG2 because that actually makes some sort of sense, direct franchise comparisons tend to fall flat on their face unless it's like an Okami/Zelda situation.
Mario's very linear, i'm not sure what i'd take wrong about that, the only times it hasn't been linear is 64 and Sunshine.

Don't understand why people hate it; it was my first KH game and I liked it. Only other KH game I played was Birth By Sleep and I thought it was boring.
It was my first one too - I didn't really have consoles prior to this gen (only SNES), and the GBA was my friend for a good while.

I admit I was lured into the game by the initial FMV, but I stayed for the battle system, which I sort of had experience with (from Battle Network, despite the games not really being too similar :p).

Sciz

Battle Network didn't need six games in five years, but I miss it all the same. Never did get why that and Zero were replaced with similar but worse substitutes on the DS.

I dunno, X4 is essential in my mind, being the only one that could arguably be better than the first game (although that'd be a very heated argument).

I should probably go back and replay X4, because people keep calling it one of the best, and I remember being largely unimpressed compared to the SNES games.

Sciz, you just went and had me take a nostalgia blow with your music examples back there, Total Annihilation came with the first PC in my household all those years ago, i'd say it was the most played of that batch of games but the odd reality was Disney's Magic Artist was instead, I loved that toolbox.

TA is just the best. <3 It's absolutely criminal that it didn't sell better, but at least we got one spiritual sequel and another's on the way.

Jeremy Soule's crowning achievement, too, even all these years later.

Total Anihilation is one of the (many) games where I've listened to the soundtrack in lieu of playing. Great tunes lie within (first I've heard from it is Forest Green).

Get it! It's held up absurdly well for a game that came out in 1997, and the rest of the genre took years to catch up with all of its advances.

qq more

I should probably go back and replay X4, because people keep calling it one of the best, and I remember being largely unimpressed compared to the SNES games.

If you want to know how I'd rank the X games:
X2 > X1 > X4 > X3 > X5 > X8 >>>> X6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> X7

I would kill for an HD Battle Network. Hope that survey from a while back gets something started...

LET ME PLAY FOR YOU, THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE

Oh right, Sonic...

*looks at GBA* say, how about that sonic advance 3 soundtrack, huh

I may/may not like the OST from 3 more than 2 (which happens to be my first completed Sonic game) - hard to say without a good listen to both though. The track above is definitely my favorite from any of the Advance games though.
Get it! It's held up absurdly well for a game that came out in 1997, and the rest of the genre took years to catch up with all of its advances.
Intriguing...

BlackJace

I'm still scratching my head over the fact that Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale won best fighting game at the Dice Awards.

Over TTT2 and P4A...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finished Fire Emblem: Awakening. One of the better games in the series for me, right up with Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776.

Despite the uguu tropey stuff I didn't like (and it's something I don't want to see in FE14 because I'm tired of that stuff in Japanese media anyway), I enjoyed a lot of the gameplay changes. They were for the best. Good localization too. I just miss sprites, man. And, uh, I have no idea about the 3D in this game because I can't see 3D that well at all. I also feel as though they should reward players who pick Classic routes with extra scenes or something, just to use as an incentive for replay value.

WTF. Why are they ranked? :lol :lol

BlackJace

Glad you liked it. I thought it was superb, and really showed an effort to make it a huge "love-letter" to fans, as well as inviting newcomers.

qq more

Finished Fire Emblem: Awakening. One of the better games in the series for me, right up with Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776.

Despite the uguu tropey stuff I didn't like (and it's something I don't want to see in FE14 because I'm tired of that stuff in Japanese media anyway), I enjoyed a lot of the gameplay changes. They were for the best. Good localization too. I just miss sprites, man. And, uh, I have no idea about the 3D in this game because I can't see 3D that well at all. I also feel as though they should reward players who pick Classic routes with extra scenes or something, just to use as an incentive for replay value.

It saddens me that even Nintendo is doing this.

The demo of the game I've played was super awesome though. Dunno if I'll get it anytime soon since there's other games I need to get. Looking forward to it though... hope I can get into Fire Emblem!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Glad you liked it. I thought it was superb, and really showed an effort to make it a huge "love-letter" to fans, as well as inviting newcomers.
I absolutely agree; it feels like an anniversary game of sorts (though I don't think it's FE's anniversary, haha). Casual mode, while I don't use it myself, is something that I think FE needed for a long time. Permadeath is a deterrent to a lot of people and avoiding it might take time that some people don't really have.

Is Thracia 776 as god damn metal as it sounds?
The name comes from the fact that it takes place during the second half of Seisen no Keifu and in the year 776, lol. It's just a really nice sidestory addition to the previous game.

Yeah, definitely. I played it and Seisen no Keifu before I played the GBA/NES FE games, so Fog of War and unit capture were really awesome additions to what Seisen no Keifu introduced. Having cavalry units dismount and fight as sword-using infantry units instead actually felt somewhat strategic in that I'm not wasting my axes or lances. I don't think people would like the Fatigue system, though. Some might feel that it's limiting. Bonus chapters were a good addition, just because you had to work for them. I feel like it might be slightly harder for some people, but whatever. Both SNES FE games had good stories and I feel like they're worth going through once.

It saddens me that even Nintendo is doing this.
Really is. But I dunno, it seems popular with a lot of people. I'm just tired of seeing it in tons of games I play or anime I watch. Some of the qualities aren't endearing; they're irritating.

qq more

I'll definitely try out Casual Mode because knowing myself, I wouldn't beat the game otherwise. Too much pressure and I don't think I'm ready for permdeaths in those type of games. I hope it doesn't make the game too easy.

I generally can't stand fatigue systems in games, it was a big strike against Persona 3 in my book for example, so I probably wouldn't like that.

Noi

I've no doubt Awakening's gameplay is great (though I do find the streetpass units from previous games feature questionable). It's mostly the characterization/designs that I detest just by looking at it.

what the hell is "uguu"

do I want to know

You don't.

...uguu.

I generally can't stand fatigue systems in games, it was a big strike against Persona 3 in my book for example, so I probably wouldn't like that.

Play P3P then, it eliminates the fatigue system entirely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom