• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading that GAF RPG Essentials thread, I'm thinking, "Wonder how they would work for fighters"

...probably not well. Also, the RPG fans vs fighting game fans on GAF is probably like 3-to-1 or some shit

Love to see a shooter version, though

I guess so, if we're gonna include Metroid Prime as a First person shooter and not like, a first person adventure or whatever the heck MP fans keep going on about to defend it's boring combat(sorry, BlackJace)

Noi

Chipping away at Persona 4 Golden. You'd think I'd be going through this faster seeing how I beat the PS2 version before...

LOL

I'm glad I picked FF6 then, that was actually one of the shorter ones at 30-40 hours

oh, and FF6 update I suppose, Ultros is hilarious. It's like they accidently booted up a ridiculous octupus sprite instead of a human character, and said, "Fuck it, ship it"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, Noi! I'd neglected to mention that I finished Corpse Party yesterday. I wanted to say it yesterday but I guess I forgot. We should talk! Cuz XSEED needs to get the sequel out.

How was everyone's day?
I actually woke up a little early to see if I could go in. They didn't plow anywhere, snow was pretty plentiful, and everywhere was really slippery. Kinda glad school got cancelled. 'Sides, I was up pretty late anyway. I needed the sleep.

Oh my God.

tumblr_mgdviws6ky1qgbpgu7v.png

Aaaaaahahahahahahaha!

BHZ Mayor

I never understood the whole "is Smash a fighting game" thing. It's a game, and the entire premise is that you fight. How is this even a debate?

qq more

I never understood the whole "is Smash a fighting game" thing. It's a game, and the entire premise is that you fight. How is this even a debate?

B-B-B-BUT HEALTH BARS! THAT'S WHAT MAKES A FIGHTER A FIGHTER!!

yes people actually use this point for that argument. soooo stupid

Sciz, you just went and had me take a nostalgia blow with your music examples back there, Total Annihilation came with the first PC in my household all those years ago, i'd say it was the most played of that batch of games but the odd reality was Disney's Magic Artist was instead, I loved that toolbox.

Reading that GAF RPG Essentials thread, I'm thinking, "Wonder how they would work for fighters"

...probably not well. Also, the RPG fans vs fighting game fans on GAF is probably like 3-to-1 or some shit

Love to see a shooter version, though
I'd love to see the concept applied to other genres as well, no prizes for guessing i'd go for essential platformers.

Sure as hell better have the TimeSplitters series as highly recommended.
I'd make it happen, well Timesplitters 2 at any rate.
For no reason Notre Dame music, great splicing of new music and bits of old classical pieces.

Boring

I should do something productive
I know that feel.

LOL

I'm glad I picked FF6 then, that was actually one of the shorter ones at 30-40 hours

oh, and FF6 update I suppose, Ultros is hilarious. It's like they accidently booted up a ridiculous octupus sprite instead of a human character, and said, "Fuck it, ship it"
I'm sure you can finish it faster than that as well, I can't imagine I spent that long with it last year, guess it depends how much you like to grind which in my case is that grinding can sod off.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ew what? WHAT KIND OF A PERSON DO YOU THINK I AM?!

She was in the IRC chat and it was our fault she was up so late
How do I know you weren't thinking that sort of thing because you left before I did so you don't know what happened after?

Get your mind out of the gutter, qq.

Of all the times for me to not log into IRC...
I'd intended to stay for only 15 minutes but I ended up staying for much longer than that.

I'd love to see the concept applied to other genres as well, no prizes for guessing i'd go for essential platformers.
I think we actually tried that once and it didn't pan out well. I'd really like to see if it could be done. It'd need mod approval first, though. Vote threads are discouraged. GAF's bigger now, so I think we'd be able to get a better pool of votes.

The platformer genre has some bleeding into other genres too (ex: would SotN be a platformer or an RPG or would it be an adventure game?).

I can predict how that thread would turn out already.

Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Rayman
Mario
Rayman?

Mario Mario Mario Mario Mario Mario Mario Mario Mario Sonic.

Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Rayman
Mario
I'm more surprised that the one other franchise you'd expect to land in the sea of Mario is Rayman.

Oh wow Disney Magic Artist, we taking it back in the day with that one. Treasure mountain baby!
The slideshow was the greatest, how else could I create tales of the Disney lineup being terrorized by Teddy Bears from outer space to Piano Rock?

The platformer genre has some bleeding into other genres too (ex: would SotN be a platformer or an RPG or would it be an adventure game?).
For some reason I have trouble classifying SotN and Dark Souls as RPG games even though they basically are, the action side of things feels too...actiony?
Well for platformers you've got your run and jumps, your puzzlers, your action focused sidescrollers and...okay maybe this would be pretty tricky to nail down.

qq more

I'm more surprised that the one other franchise you'd expect to land in the sea of Mario is Rayman.

The slideshow was the greatest, how else could I create tales of the Disney lineup being terrorized by Teddy Bears from outer space to Piano Rock?

I've seen a lot of people bashing NSMB and praising Rayman Origins so before the launch of NSMB U....

How do I know you weren't thinking that sort of thing because you left before I did so you don't know what happened after?

Get your mind out of the gutter, qq.
Well maybe it's all of you who needs to get their mind out of the gutter!

YEAH! Uh... TAKE THAT!

Ew what? WHAT KIND OF A PERSON DO YOU THINK I AM?!

She was in the IRC chat and it was our fault she was up so late

Ahaha, well then, I apologise. :p

Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Rayman
Mario

7 Marios, 1 Yoshi, 2 DKs (maybe 3) and one Wario if you're feeling nasty. But there's plenty more beyond that. All 3 MD Sonics are essential in my eyes (not including CD, as much as I love it), and then there's Kirby's Fun Pak, Mega Man 2/3/9, Crash 3, Ratchet/Jak/Sly, Spyro 2, Super Meat Boy, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Another World, Mirror's Edge... and yes, Rayman Origins. Does Super Monkey Ball count? I dunno, but it's definitely worth exploring.

qq more

Then there's Mega Man X1,X2,X4, Mega Man Zero 1-4, Rocket Knight Adventures, Kirby's Adventure, Ristar, Dynamite Headdy and blah blah blah

Platformers is my favorite genre!

Total Anihilation is one of the (many) games where I've listened to the soundtrack in lieu of playing. Great tunes lie within (first I've heard from it is Forest Green).

As an aside, I ran up against the "end" of the EO4 demo and am now currently playing through, doing what quests and such I can while training up to defeat the initial FOEs. The music in the game is super good too (I don't care as much about the lost FM sound /shrug).

Random town theme!
Random battle theme!

Ehhhhhh I wouldn't call anything beyond Mega Man X "essential". The only Kirby game I'd argue as such beyond Fun Pak is Mass Attack too, seeing as the best Kirby game isn't even a platformer.

I did forget about Ristar though. Never played Dynamite Headdy but Treasure made it so it can't be that bad.

Nocturnowl, you should make the thread. :p

I dunno, X4 is essential in my mind, being the only one that could arguably be better than the first game (although that'd be a very heated argument).

qq more

I'm a bit biased since Mega Man Zero happens to be my 2nd favorite sub series of the franchise.

Kind of funny though because Zero isn't even my favorite character.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Every time I listen to EO4's soundtrack, I feel so disappointed. There is an FM Synth album out there but I haven't listened to it yet.

So... I guess I could mark down 1 game for the 4 for Feb thing.

For some reason I have trouble classifying SotN and Dark Souls as RPG games even though they basically are, the action side of things feels too...actiony?
Well for platformers you've got your run and jumps, your puzzlers, your action focused sidescrollers and...okay maybe this would be pretty tricky to nail down.
Yeah, that's why I find making a platformer thread a little iffier than an RPG thread (despite that genre having a ton of bleeding into other genres). You have puzzle-platformers, regular jump and run platformers, run and gun platformers (does Super Metroid count? Contra?), etc.

Sometimes you just know, and then you have other people saying that doesn't fit in the thread because of their interpretation of that game's genre.

Well maybe it's all of you who needs to get their mind out of the gutter!

YEAH! Uh... TAKE THAT!
We all knew what you were thinking.

Yeah, I'd definitely agree X4 is the only title past X that could qualify as essential.

What's the IRC link again? I keep forgetting to bookmark it. >.>

Edit: Holy shit at the Knuckles comic

I've seen a lot of people bashing NSMB and praising Rayman Origins so before the launch of NSMB U....
It was the only comparison people seemed to make usually centred on nothing but visuals and music, never mind the rest of the genres existence, then again Rayman was a recent release that was widespread platform wise which I think played a role in the constant comparisons (as well as the fact that there was a Rayman sequel set to release against Mario...HAHAHA! hilarious to think that now), I like Origins a lot but man that stuff got tiring.

I wonder how such a thread would go if a "2 games per series" rule were enacted. Not very well, I guess.
I'd enforce it, my list would be one game per franchise with the rule bending implementation of splitting 2D and 3D Mario because i'm corrupt.
People could add a franchise HM choice alongside the chosen entry.

7 Marios, 1 Yoshi, 2 DKs (maybe 3) and one Wario if you're feeling nasty. But there's plenty more beyond that. All 3 MD Sonics are essential in my eyes (not including CD, as much as I love it), and then there's Kirby's Fun Pak, Mega Man 2/3/9, Crash 3, Ratchet/Jak/Sly, Spyro 2, Super Meat Boy, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Another World, Mirror's Edge... and yes, Rayman Origins. Does Super Monkey Ball count? I dunno, but it's definitely worth exploring.
SMB is like a quirky 3D Puzzle platformer at a stretch, there's not much you can really slot the game into (minigame collection!).

Well, I can see Origins getting some pity votes cause it's the recent platformer. Not saying I'd vote for it!
Yeah actually that I understand.

Ehhhhhh I wouldn't call anything beyond Mega Man X "essential". The only Kirby game I'd argue as such beyond Fun Pak is Mass Attack too, seeing as the best Kirby game isn't even a platformer.

I did forget about Ristar though. Never played Dynamite Headdy but Treasure made it so it can't be that bad.

Nocturnowl, you should make the thread. :p
I rate Adventure, Adventure Wii, Epic Yarn and Power Paintbrush over Fun Pak so you see people's rating choices could fluctuate quite a lot.
Like those strange fellows who love Sonic Adventure 2...
i'm sorry

I'd seriously consider going through with it at some point with some rules to help prevent the Super Mario domination, note that such rules wouldn't fully prevent Nintendomination.

Yeah, that's why I find making a platformer thread a little iffier than an RPG thread (despite that genre having a ton of bleeding into other genres). You have puzzle-platformers, regular jump and run platformers, run and gun platformers (does Super Metroid count? Contra?), etc.

Sometimes you just know, and then you have other people saying that doesn't fit in the thread because of their interpretation of that game's genre.
This reminds me that Journey was considered for platformer of the year in a fair few media outlets, it really does stretch far this genre.
now to vomit at the idea of that being platformer of the year

qq more

Yeah, I'd definitely agree X4 is the only title past X that could qualify as essential.

What's the IRC link again? I keep forgetting to bookmark it. >.>

Edit: Holy shit at the Knuckles comic

http://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#SonicGAF&server=irc.rizon.net

Total Anihilation is one of the (many) games where I've listened to the soundtrack in lieu of playing. Great tunes lie within (first I've heard from it is Forest Green).

As an aside, I ran up against the "end" of the EO4 demo and am now currently playing through, doing what quests and such I can while training up to defeat the initial FOEs. The music in the game is super good too (I don't care as much about the lost FM sound /shrug).

Random town theme!
Random battle theme!
It bothered me because it's the only game anymore that uses FM Synth but now even it moved on from it. :<

I'm thinking about a FPS version and what would count. Deus Ex? Fallout 3? Metroid prime surely...

Ans then the portal fan club comes out

Portal is absolutely not an FPS. It is a puzzle game. Simple as.

I'd accept Metroid Prime in that category, although I would never judge it alongside stuff like DOOM and CoD I'd probably still throw it alongside games like Bioshock and HL2, so yeah, I think it fits. It's not all about shooting, but it's first-person and you shoot so eh.

Fallout 3 is an RPG and Deus Ex is that wonderful yet awkward-to-categorise cross-section between RPG, FPS and action game. It could go anywhere but it doesn't really belong anywhere.

Nert

A top 10 list for essential platformers would be boring. A top 50 list like the RPG thread, however, could be a lot more interesting. Once everybody gets the expected Mario titles out of their system, there would be a lot to explore and discuss. I would make a pretty strong case for Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, and some other titles that don't have the word Mario in them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd enforce it, my list would be one game per franchise with the rule bending implementation of splitting 2D and 3D Mario because i'm corrupt.
People could add a franchise HM choice alongside the chosen entry.
Well, that might have to apply to some other series as well... coughsoniccough... nah, I'd probably pick one and then add another as an honourable mention.

This reminds me that Journey was considered for platformer of the year in a fair few media outlets, it really does stretch far this genre.
now to vomit at the idea of that being platformer of the year
It was? I never really looked at that game as a platformer. It has platforming elements but I'd classify it as an adventure/experience game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom