• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I thought you could only play with a Wii remote...

GCUsb.jpg

The only way.

Ohohohoh, I would just love to see you argue against their legacy.

Daydream Nation, dude. One of the 80's best. Go check Wikipedia or something, you'll find plenty who agree.

You can find plenty fans for Sonic 06, that doesn't make it good, does it?

But seriously, if you're into that, it's cool. I absolutely can't stand them though.

Lijik

Let's Play 20 Years of clinging to walls Pt.101 - Sonic 06 (10/11)
Turns out they miscounted and there is only one episode of Sonic 2006 left after this one. I can't wait to find out if they just stop because the game makes them so depressed or if there is something in particular that makes them rage quit.
And in case you get tired of seeing them play as a certain character,
the first thing that happens to them when they return to Shadow makes it all worth it

I love their Giant Bomb references

Just played it, those are some sharp ass graphics for sure. I'm impressed by the smooth animation on such smooth looking "sprites" too. While it's nice eye-candy, I'm wondering if they'll actually be able to finish the rest of the remake if this took 4 years to make.

Sciz

Looks like one of those bootleg flash games you see in banner ads.

From my own short-lived personal experience working on the art for this, there's been an enormous amount of time put into the shape and shading of every single art asset. If it still looks like a flash game, well, okay, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find one that looks quite as nice.

Just played it, those are some sharp ass graphics for sure. I'm impressed by the smooth animation on such smooth looking "sprites" too. While it's nice eye-candy, I'm wondering if they'll actually be able to finish the rest of the remake if this took 4 years to make.

The art should be a lot further along than just EHZ by now, especially since the other zones aren't nearly as much of a pain in the ass as EHZ. Lingering tech issues are what's delayed this build more than anything, as far as they've said.

Emitan

I am starting to believe this is going to be the response to any sufficiently high resolution and anti-aliased 2D art.

I think it looks wonderful! It's like all the promo art you saw back in the 90's come to life.

S2HD? Flash game. FFIV CC? Flash game.

Yep. Good 2D artwork? Flash game.

I am starting to believe this is going to be the response to any sufficiently high resolution and anti-aliased 2D art.

I think it looks wonderful! It's like all the promo art you saw back in the 90's come to life.

I guess I'm just cynical from seeing tons of those ads + that thread backfire on "how Third Strike HD should look" + tons of "hey we can make sonic games too sega since you don't like money" people.

Is there any video of this?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wish the darn thing wasn't hated by MSE otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to open it.

But I think it looks nice in motion based on the trailer from a few months a year ago. Way better than Sonic 4's art direction.

Edited because I'm livin' in the past, man.

Ha, I knew somebody would beat me to the punch. My video's still encoding. I don't think the screen is cut off, either.

Surprised it recorded at 1080p, even though the window is really squashed on my screen.

qq more

That was a cool demo. One annoyance I've kind of noticed is that I sometimes accidentally jump straight up right after attempting to release the spindash.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega1991 said:
Here's my video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5XqON9OcI&hd=1

Wasn't really intending on going fast, so you see me screw up and meander a lot.
Thanks. lol, I was waiting for the special stage to open up during the video too. It also does the thing where the game tries to catch up to Sonic, which is nice.The waiting animation is cute. Though, were you supposed to go through the ceiling like that towards the beginning of Act 1? :p

(And btw, I didn't want to bump it when I saw it, but I really liked the completed drawing you did for the Endurance Race. I wish I could draw, but I can't. >.>)

This does get me thinking that while the art is as faithful to the original as you can get, an HD remake like this would really sing with some beautifully painted backgrounds, ala Rayman Origins.

Not to rag on the the fangame's looks at all, I mean it looks like moving boxart. But I'd be lying if the "perfectness" of the line quality and design didn't give it a clinical feel. The 16-bit look gave leeway to the imagination with detail and design, which worked in its favor. Here it's so perfectly rendered, it kind of takes away from the organic quality of the world. It's not something I think a fan team can manage, but a hand painted 2D game with lush, lively environments would be an amazing step for 2D Sonic.

Still, this is extremely impressive. The animation system being as smooth as it is really surprised me.

Good god, Sonic's animation is as smooth as butter. I do agree with Swift though, the graphics were designed with 16-bit in mind. It ends up looking far too clean is some areas, such as the palm trees and bushes.

I just can't get over how nice Sonic himself looks. Like is was said, looks like moving box art. I love it. It really baffles how they can refuse to bring that design back for Sonic 4.

What's the Trackmania-style credits sequence? Looks fantastic- perhaps a bit too faithful, but this is obviously not the kind of thing where the creators are going to take artistic license with things.

jtrov

Wow that looks incredible. I love the level transitions, music remixes, and the animations all look so damn smooth in motion.

Also, the credits sequence was pretty neat. Would love to some how play a Sonic game like that, in almost a Kirby Mass Attack sort of way. Just so ridiculous and crazy for all the right reasons. :)

Please... some how, some way, find a way to completion. It just looks to damn awesome to not experience the full version of the game that way.

Sciz

If you like the music remixes in this, visit Tee's Youtube channel immediately. Everything he touches is gold.

It ends up looking far too clean is some areas, such as the palm trees and bushes.

Don't get me started on that godforsaken bush. More so than the rest of the zone, it's designed to let your mind fill in the information gaps, and consequently it's an enormous pain in the ass to figure out what the design intent was and make that look decent at higher resolutions. My hat goes off to whoever got it looking as nice as it does.

Don't get me started on that godforsaken bush. More so than the rest of the zone, it's designed to let your mind fill in the information gaps, and consequently it's an enormous pain in the ass to figure out what the design intent was and make that look decent at higher resolutions. My hat goes off to whoever got it looking as nice as it does.

Oh, I agree. They did a fantastic job at following the original design, and I'm glad they did. It's just interesting to see how some of this stuff doesn't work so well in HD.

TheOGB

Banned
God-diddly-damn, that does look amazing in motion.

Can't wait to see what they do with
the best zone ever:
Chemical Plant Zone.

OMG Aero

Yeah, wow, that's kind of a weird place to call it. Just... fade to black in the middle of a cutscene and that's that.
Like most modern Sonic games, it turns out that wasn't actually the true ending and there are two more episodes left which you can see right now because I got all the chaos emeralds.
Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic Bonus - 06 Overtime (1/2)
Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic Bonus - 06 Overtime (2/2)
Really, the Sonic 2006 LP ends the only way it ever could:
a game over caused by a mach speed section

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This does get me thinking that while the art is as faithful to the original as you can get, an HD remake like this would really sing with some beautifully painted backgrounds, ala Rayman Origins.

Not to rag on the the fangame's looks at all, I mean it looks like moving boxart. But I'd be lying if the "perfectness" of the line quality and design didn't give it a clinical feel. The 16-bit look gave leeway to the imagination with detail and design, which worked in its favor. Here it's so perfectly rendered, it kind of takes away from the organic quality of the world. It's not something I think a fan team can manage, but a hand painted 2D game with lush, lively environments would be an amazing step for 2D Sonic.

Still, this is extremely impressive. The animation system being as smooth as it is really surprised me.
I've love to see a Sonic game--hell, even a Mario game--use something like the Ubi Art framework since everything in Rayman Origins looked so pretty and fluid.

Yeah, now that I've played the HD Alpha (on another computer, lol), I'm inclined to agree. The design doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, imo, and the fixation on perfection somewhat takes away from the authentic and genuine feel of the original level. The animation is nice, though.

Woah. I thought this thread went dead!
Damn..
Well what's been goin on here lately guys?
You should really check these out:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom