• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

Let's Play 20 Years of Metal Gear Solid with a Ukelele Pt.100 - Sonic 06 (9/12)
This is news to me:

tumblr_m07yez4Rkm1r2pjci.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1tr9uZ-C7Q
WHY ARE THERE NORMAL BIRDS WHEN ANTHROPOMORPHIC BIRDS ALREADY EXIST IN THIS UNIVERSE?

WHY ARE THERE NORMAL BIRDS WHEN ANTHROPOMORPHIC BIRDS ALREADY EXIST IN THIS UNIVERSE?

Why does the regular bird talk like a regular bird rather than talk like regular people?

Yeah, this!

What about Flickies and the other animals that power Eggman's robots? What about Froggy and the fishes that Big can catch? They're regular animals. They just looked cartoony because they weren't subjected to S2k6's horrible aesthetic. Hell, even in 06 there's the eagle.

Regular animals coexisting with the anthropomorphic ones isn't anything new.

Why does the regular bird talk like a regular bird rather than talk like regular people?

Sonic 2006 also has multiple dogs around Soleanna and maybe even a cat? I'm not entirely sure if there's a cat.

Never explained.

What about Flickies and the other animals that power Eggman's robots? What about Froggy and the fishes that Big can catch? They're regular animals. They just looked cartoony because they weren't subjected to S2k6's horrible aesthetic. Hell, even in 06 there's the eagle.

Regular animals coexisting with the anthropomorphic ones isn't anything new.

I am pretty sure Flickies have always bore the capacity to talk if you check instruction manuals.

But yeah, I guess we're getting in to "Why is Mickey Mouse both friends with Goofy and has a dog named Pluto?" territory.

Emitan

I'm totally interested in streaming Sonic Colors if I ever got a copy.

Maybe you can see my opinion change over REAL TIME.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
But yeah, I guess we're getting in to "Why is Mickey Mouse both friends with Goofy and has a dog named Pluto?" territory.

Adult Goofy doesn't exist. He's just the projection of Mickey's guilt over accidentally killing his childhood friend, Goofy, when they were kids. Pluto is just how Mickey sees the Double Head monsters. Mickey lives in Silent Hill.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is Hatoful Boyfriend even good? A friend of mine tried it out and didn't seem to care for it in terms of an otome game. It's very likely that it's because it's all about pigeons, lol.

On a similar topic, I liked Katawa Shoujo (or at least the paths I went through).

TheOGB

Banned
holy shit

Sonic 06 redeemed
dammit, now I REALLY want to play through this dogshit :p
EDIT: Actually, not yet. Replace Tails with Hatsun and all of my money string and oranges
EDIT II: oh dear god the horror

And in other news, it just kind of hit me that this tech demo from E3 probably ended up becoming the running events in Mario and Sonic DS

qq more

Okay, now I really do see the appeal in Sonic 06. Best game ever!!!!

But seriously, I am fucking dying of laughter here. Holy shit, you're gonna kill me. LOL

EDIT: omfg when it hit a bunch of springs before the whale scene

edit: Oh god, there's a mod for tweaking 06? Please don't do that. We don't need Sonic 06 to actually to be seriously fixed. Part of it's awful charm would disappear and then it'd be just a boring game.

Pelé The Beloved Dog was taking a long walk on the beach enjoying the brilliant scenery of the Soleanna coast. He was lost deep in thought, trying to unravel the secrets of the universe. However, this deep thought was soon broken by a shriek of terror. Pelé The Beloved Dog raced towards the noise. He saw a helpless person being tormented by robots from the nefarious Dr. Eggman. Pelé The Beloved Dog could not stand by and do nothing. He raced toward the robot and quickly defeated it and saved the poor soul. The person graciously thank Pelé The Beloved Dog but told him some disturbing news. The entire beach had been taking over by evil Eggman robots. Pelé The Beloved Dog springs into action to save the world from Dr. Eggman's Tyranny. Only time will tell what adventures Pelé The Beloved Dog will go on.
FUCKING LOL

Why the hell has Elise not been hacked in as a playable character!? Get on it modders!

nns3d

I'm just surprised that it took people this long to do Sonic 2006 hacks. I know that some guys were tryna hack the Rainbow Gem ages ago, but not much else.

Eh, still has a lot to be desired.

I think the big thing behind "Sonic 06 would be great if they had spent more time on it!" is that the idea of Sonic 06 is actually pretty cool. It has a huge storyline (not a GOOD one mind, even by Sonic standards), nine playable characters (even though only three have devoted campaigns), big (empty) hub world with a lot of (unfun) shit to do, an amazing soundtrack (the only part that can be enjoyed without irony)... If you took away the glitches and gave the team another year of dev time, you'd basically have the perfect Sonic Adventure game. The problem is that the Sonic Adventure formula itself is kind of a flawed concept, but the nostalgia for SA1/SA2 is huge.

I recall reading that Sonic 06 continues to have a better shelf life than Unleashed, in spite of being without question the worst of the two. I think to the casual Sonic fan, 06 sells itself as "It's a Sonic game, bitches" which is more appealing than Unleashed, which puts its big gimmick on full display. To a lot of gamers, the Adventure formula of wandering around hub worlds and playing as shitty friends is the essential Sonic game.

nine playable characters (even though only three have devoted campaigns),

All characters (including Metal Sonic as a 10th) were supposed to get dedicated DLC campaigns. Team Attack Amigo was clearly them scraping together the best of what they had and salvaging it.

God, imagine how insane they would have gone trying to make modified stage layouts for every single character, in addition to the ones already in game for Sonic, Shadow, and Silver (and Wave Ocean for Tails, Blaze, and Omega), in addition to the Hard Stages, the Very Hard stages, and the planned Super Hard stages.

There were a lot of things just wrong about 2006, and it did a terrible job communicating what I think it was supposed to be. (A literal "back to his roots," a retelling of the series as a whole, no continuity, telling a princess story in a way similar to some of the original origins of Sonic, although I'll grant not THAT similar.) Even if it was a glitch-free game that controlled beautifully... stylistically, story-wise, just in general, it would still need a lot of reworking. Elise's interaction with Sonic would have to be altered, and possibly have her family be changed to animals to match Sonic. (I didn't have an issue with it, since I knew they were going for the fairytale thing, but the "Oh god this is so horrible she's kissing a dead animal" chatter is overwhelming.) The whole cast needs de-lanked, when they were lanked in the first place to better interact with the humans, who are 95% of the time boring and generic as all hell and could use stylization themselves. Soleanna is incredibly boring, especially in the New City (notice how there is a ton of roads... and no cars?) or the amazingly empty forest. The dialogue should be rerecorded, the animations reworked, the list goes on and on.

I've daydreamed about "fixing" Sonic 2006 for years now, past when it's become anything resembling a relevant option. The question is, how much 2006 do you leave left over, and how much would you throw out and just remake? Would you just port what you could to the Hedgehog Engine and rebuild it from there? Would you try to patch up the otherwise janky and broken engine that they haven't touched in literally half a decade, if the same staff is even still available? There are so many questions and issues, and at best it would be an "image fix" for the series, trying their best to clear up the blackest spot on the series, or at least grey it a bit. It probably wouldn't be worth the investment, even if it meant they could start selling Sonic 2006 again, or if they could even convince old buyers to pay for the patch as DLC or an on-disc remake.

And the simple truth of the matter is that Sonic Team was already content to move on, while early restrictions on 360 patching may have made their life difficult, there wasn't much stopping them from silently fixing bugs for the reprints, for the Games on Demand version, etc. But they were content to continue shipping the same broken game right until it was pulled from shelves for good.

I too have often daydreamed about a "fixed" Sonic 06, if only to give the music justice. I even wonder if when the strength of PCs catch up, issues like slowdown and load times can be alleviated through more powerful hardware via emulation. Those two things alone could account for fixing 60% of the damn game. A plot so bad it's entertaining is fine with me, and it looks as if modders are able to adjust control parameters enough to allow better character movement (dat new Silver control scheme! It actually looks fun!), so if any fixing is to be done, it's through the fans. If it's even possible that is. And seeing that pele the beloved dog footage makes me think it is.

Switching topics, the Adventure template itself is not flawed (it's the same as nearly every 3D mario platformer, overworld > stage > return to overworld) just the execution. There's nothing wrong with dropping a character off in a hub where one can find upgrades, secrets, visit shops, do sub missions, or just dick around in general. There is something wrong with sparse locals, confusing layouts, having nothing to do, sectioned off areas that take ages to load, random multiple untested characters being shoved down your throat and an overall unintuitive nature in general. But this is just the fault of bad game design, not a flaw of the hub world.

Generation's hub simplifies things, but worsens others. The 2D platform system is a headache to traverse and memorize, with fractions of zone layouts confusingly leading to other zone sub missions. It's nonsensical. Unleashed had the right idea with very simple, tranquil layouts, but fucked up with isolating stage entrances in another area, accessibility limited by day/night times, and a control scheme even worse than 06's for maneuvering Sonic in open spaces. The Colors map menu hubs are fine, but I feel a traversalble hub done correctly can offer more to the game than none at all if done right.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Trekking through 20 years of Sonic, Sonic Adventure 2 is indeed better than the first one. Although loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool dat comic sans

The GCN version was my first Sonic game, so I'm probably a bit biased!

qq more

SADX was a rubbish port. Glitchier, uglier graphics and framerate that manages to drop worse than the original.

With that said, I think SA1 and SA2 are better than each other at certain things. SA2 has superior chao garden and SA1 has the superior campaign. I think I kind of like SA1 more.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Generation's hub simplifies things, but worsens others. The 2D platform system is a headache to traverse and memorize, with fractions of zone layouts confusingly leading to other zone sub missions. It's nonsensical.
What? Other than wishing ever platform was instead a bumper so I wouldn't have to wait to access upper areas, and the absence of colour even after you've recovered a zone, there's nothing wrong with Generation's hub world.

Lijik

My biggest problems with proper Hub worlds in Sonic games is if youre not going to the next story event/stage, there isn't really much else to do.

Completely misses the point of a hub world where you're given a choice between multiple major areas and need to be able to move through them easily.

What? Other than wishing ever platform was instead a bumper so I wouldn't have to wait to access upper areas, and the absence of colour even after you've recovered a zone, there's nothing wrong with Generation's hub world.

I can't agree. On most zones there is a platform on the left and right of it. Often times you can access some of the missions with one platform, but for the rest you need the other. Or sometimes said platforms give you access to sub missions from half one zone and half the one next to it. Annoyingly, there are some springs and boost pads in place that once you touch, make backtracking very difficult. Sometimes the zone platforms overlap other zones changing the BG music, making it a little disorienting as to which zone's sub-missions you are actually in front of, or misleading you to thing you can reach the adjacent zone's platforms when you sometimes can't. I might be alone on this, but I just found the Generations hub really clunky and confusing. I think I would have preferred a Colors style menu over this.

SA1 is better than SA2. The level design, music, story, gamma smokes it.
fixed

Generations' hubworld was pretty clunky, actually. I mean, look at the Modern era stages. There's a platform to the left of Crisis City that gives you access to three of the mission gates for all three stages in that era - there's no other way to reach them, and if you fall by accident, you'll have to run aaaaall the way back to Crisis City to get back up there.

It wasn't horrible, but it could've been more intuitive.

OMG Aero

Let's Play 20 Years of clinging to walls Pt.101 - Sonic 06 (10/11)
Turns out they miscounted and there is only one episode of Sonic 2006 left after this one. I can't wait to find out if they just stop because the game makes them so depressed or if there is something in particular that makes them rage quit.
And in case you get tired of seeing them play as a certain character,
the first thing that happens to them when they return to Shadow makes it all worth it

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Youth could have been the anniversary song! *shrug* In a way, I'm sort of glad that Generations didn't have a theme song in the end.

Sonic Boom tickets went on sale a few weeks ago too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom