• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I need is a new Phoenix Wright or Igavania, and we in there.
Fortunately, Capcom basically all but explicitly said that Gyakuten Saiban 5 was gonna make it Stateside.

Plus they're surely gonna translate Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney at some point!
But nowhere near fast enough for me >:I

OMG Aero

I feel like I need to comment about it somewhere, but that last ND kinda shows why I've been pretty apathetic to Nintendo software in the past few years. I've been playing games starring Mario and co. for some 20+ years now, so it's really hard to muster excitement when they reveal a whole batch of Mario titles at once. The most fun I get out of them nowadays is from characters that AREN'T part of the main cast (see: every paper Mario not named sticker star).

Like I'm sure the actual games continue to be solid (for the most part), it's hard to avoid to feeling of been there, done that with that franchise.
Yeah, Nintendo have really been milking Mario a lot lately.
There are already like 6 Mario games on 3DS with another 3 (4 if you count Luigi's Mansion) coming out this year. I mean I like Mario games, but I'm getting sick of them being all that Nintendo seems to be making for the system now.

Unless Nintendo break their rule of usually having one game per Mario series per platform then at least we'll see new stuff after this year.
Or just Mario doing new things.

All I need is a new Phoenix Wright or Igavania, and we in there.
I'm thinking that we have reached the end of the Iga era unfortunately, Ecclesia was at least a high note to go out on.

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. Why a port?

Because DKCR2 would be too good and make Luigi's NSMB DLC look like piddle if it came out alongside it.
Or because Retro are likely busy doing something else that is criminally not DKCR2.

Because DKCR2 would be too good and make Luigi's NSMB DLC look like piddle if it came out alongside it.
Or because Retro are likely busy doing something else that is criminally not DKCR2.
If it's a new Prime-like Metroid, the only thing criminal would be to suggest DKCR2 instead would be better.

Notice how Nintendo has 2 developers that could do really detailed graphics pretty well on the Wii. One of them is currently making a new IP for Wii U- let's hope Retro is following their lead.

If it's a new Prime-like Metroid, the only thing criminal would be to suggest DKCR2 instead would be better.

We already have three magnificent prime games, allow me this one single sequel, the style is too good to just get dropped after one title, it would be like if Unleashed never followed up on its Daytime gameplay.

Though I fully expect something aimed at the more core crowd that's like Metroid Prime minus the Metroid part and with more shoot bang because i'm being pessimistic like that.

But Metroid is one of Nintendo's most common and sale-riffic titles!
They've been whoring it out for that mountain of Metroid money or so i'm told.

Well, last I checked DKCR was at 5 million. That would make it the second best selling game in the entire series, after DKC1's impossibly huge number of 8 million copies worldwide.

MP3 was at 1.31 million, MP2 is at 800,000, and MP was 1.49 in America alone. Don't what it does worldwide, but it's never been very popular in Japan(MP2 400,000+ in US compared to 40,355 in Japan), so that's 3.6m vs 5m, that'd be quite a differece to make up.

I do love me some Metroid games, but it's never been a HUGE franchise like Mario or Zelda. I'd love to see a 2d console Metroid like DKCR, but I'm not sure what it's sales would be!

Is there some sales data to corroborate this? I'm not sure where to look for that kind of info, and don't want to touch the dreaded Chartz of VG.

Wrong as usual, I see.

Wikipedia (with good sources) sez:

DKCR: 4.96 million worldwide
Prime: 1.49 million copies in America (as of 05)
Prime 2: 800,000 copies worldwide (as of 09) (dat drop off)
Prime 3: 1.31 million copies worldwide (as of 08)

Very likely that DKCR outdid it. Especially given the first two were on the Gamecube, and the second one came out in the same way as Half-Life 2 and Halo 2.

Well, that's disappointing. Admittedly I haven't tried DKCR, but it never looked as interesting to me as the Prime games were (although I understand it's a fine game; maybe I'll give the 3DS version a go, to avoid the supposed tacked-on motion controls).

I hate the FPS genre, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Fair enough.

Doom's different. You don't really have to aim, it's pretty much completely about crowd control. There's a reason someone made that Resi 4 mod.

I hate the FPS genre, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Do you like Half-Life 2? I'm mostly asking because my interest in the FPS genre is pretty much zero too, unless it has a healthy lean towards sniping/melee play (hence why I enjoyed Far Cry 3 for the most part), but that's a game that didn't have much of that yet I still adored it.

Not so big on FPS games myself but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good one if it hits the right notes for me.
Half Life 2 did not

qq more

Oh boy, I keep forgetting about the possible PS4 reveal. Can't wait for it
to have anti used games and always online DRM bs!

Do you like Half-Life 2? I'm mostly asking because my interest in the FPS genre is pretty much zero too, unless it has a healthy lean towards sniping/melee play (hence why I enjoyed Far Cry 3 for the most part), but that's a game that didn't have much of that yet I still adored it.
Half-Life 2 is an exception, but that boat section went on for FAR too long. I was constantly questioning when it would be over. I think it'd be better if certain sections weren't so long.

qq more

Half-Life 2 is an exception, but that boat section went on for FAR too long. I was constantly questioning when it would be over. I think it'd be better if certain sections weren't so long.

I think that's my only major complaint about the game. Some parts of it really drags on. What did you think of the first game?

I can see that, yeah. That game drew me into its world so much I didn't really mind. Heck I thought it helped the game's size and scope, even though in retrospect it's clearly a straight line that game world felt so damn huge to me at the time. The sense of isolation in the coastal drive sections was awesome.

That said, Episode 2 is so fucking superior. (Episode 1 is terrible.) And yeah I really don't give a shit about playing HL1 either. I've seen the beginning like a million times, that'll do for me.

qq more

Never played it. Have no desire to, either.

I can see that, yeah. That game drew me into its world so much I didn't really mind. Heck I thought it helped the game's size and scope, even though in retrospect it's clearly a straight line that game world felt so damn huge to me at the time. The sense of isolation in the coastal drive sections was awesome.

That said, Episode 2 is so fucking superior. (Episode 1 is terrible.) And yeah I really don't give a shit about playing HL1 either. I've seen the beginning like a million times, that'll do for me.

Half Life 1 is amazing guys :( It does starts off really slow though.

Also I thought Episode 1 was okay... but then again I bought it via Orange Box on a sale so I didn't really pay much for it. Episode 2 was great though, for sure.

I will say the prison wasn't that good. By which I mean I only remember the end of it. Mainly because "guard this thing!" will never not be a shitty objective. As for Episode 1, it was way too samey and had far too much headcrab stuff.

Everyone should play Minerva: Metastasis, by the way. It's utter genius.

Valve games are odd in that I respect that all the ones i've played are of pretty good quality but none of them have clicked with me, mainly because I don't really like how the gunplay feels.
Not my forte it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom