• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
NPD thread is Ground Zero right now. Apparently Wii-U did 55k sales for the month of January.

To put that in perspective how MEGA BOMBA that is, Lowest PS3 has been is 82k during April 2007, during the height of it's $599/no games era. X360 never has been under 100k if I remember right.

RIP Reggie

NPD thread is Ground Zero right now. Apparently Wii-U did 55k sales for the month of January.

To put that in perspective how MEGA BOMBA that is, Lowest PS3 has been is 82k during April 2007, during the height of it's $599/no games era. X360 never has been under 100k if I remember right.

RIP Reggie

Oh well.

Release more Mario games.

I remember when Pikmin was launch window and Rayman was launch in general, those were more cheerful looking times.
Ninty botched harder than Sin Cara.

Portal is alright, cool concept but I felt like I had my fill by the end of the first game, no real enthusiasm for its sequel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Apparently I'm going on vacation on the weekend again. Hooray! It's cuz I have to study today since I have two exams tomorrow. Doesn't matter. Everything's super-expensive today so why even bother.

I feel like I need to comment about it somewhere, but that last ND kinda shows why I've been pretty apathetic to Nintendo software in the past few years. I've been playing games starring Mario and co. for some 20+ years now, so it's really hard to muster excitement when they reveal a whole batch of Mario titles at once. The most fun I get out of them nowadays is from characters that AREN'T part of the main cast (see: every paper Mario not named sticker star).

Like I'm sure the actual games continue to be solid (for the most part), it's hard to avoid to feeling of been there, done that with that franchise.
Soooo, that's basically what I missed for Nintendo Direct? I didn't miss much, then. (seriously, I can't find the ND thread)

Throwing Mario at everything is not going to be the best thing for them in the long run because it's... well, brand dilution. Almost like what FF suffers from, but Mario at least has the advantage of its games being mostly good. A few duds here and there (recently), but for the most part, the series in general consists of solid games.

But what other IPs should/could they take advantage of? Kirby, Metroid, Sin and Punishment, StarTropics, Starfy?

qq more

Soooo, that's basically what I missed for Nintendo Direct? I didn't miss much, then. (seriously, I can't find the ND thread)

More Luigi Mansion info, it looks really good
New Mario Golf
New Mario & Luigi
New Mario VS Donkey Kong
Super Luigi U (DLC story mode for NSMBU where you play as Luigi in 80 new levels)
Animal Crossing got a release date. (June 9th)
Harmo Knight, Dillon's Rolling Western 2, Toki Tori 2 all coming soon to eShop
DKCR gets a 3DS port (what)
Fire Emblem DLC and some are free for a limited time

But what other IPs should/could they take advantage of? Kirby, Metroid, Sin and Punishment, StarTropics, Starfy?

1. Metroid: after Other M the reputation franchise has been sullied and needs to get back on track.
2. F-Zero: Could use a good racer that isn't Mario Kart.
3. Fire Emblem: after the success of Awakening and with the FE+SMT crossover they could easily do something with this

...that's all I can think of.

Speaking of nintendo and FPSs, the only Metroid Prime game I ever played was the second one, and it was the first game I ever fell asleep on while playing it.

Was Metroid Prime 2 bad or is the series just not for me?

Speaking of nintendo and FPSs, the only Metroid Prime game I ever played was the second one, and it was the first game I ever fell asleep on while playing it.

Was Metroid Prime 2 bad or is teh series just not for me?

I only played 3 and never got off the first world 'cuz I found it so boring; I really need to play them from the beginning because I thought I was being unfair.

Noi

This is where I wish Nintendo was more like Sony. I at least know that PS4 is gonna have a ton of new first party IPs to play (hell the PS3 still has new stuff coming out this year) that I won't be able to predict, as well as the ones they established this gen, while with Ninty I can largely forsee tons of Marios, a new Zelda, Metroid, etc and a franchise revival or two only to be dropped for 10/20 more years. I wish they have their new IPs a big enough push even if they dont sell like Mario (as long as its not a super bomba anyway).

GAMERG0D

Was Metroid Prime 2 bad or is teh series just not for me?
The general consensus (AFAIK) is that each Prime game isn't as good as the previous one, but they are still good games. Ammo is one of the gripes in Prime 2, it's really annoying having to worry about how much you shoot. The other common gripe is Dark Aether which I don't have a problem with. Prime 1 is one of the best games of all time, you should play it. Prime 3 is more linear than the other two, but I don't have much experience with that one.

RIP Reggie

Well, at least the thread produced that amazing reverse casket gif, though.

wiiu-dies-in-the-swamxdu1e.gif

Oh snap.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I sometimes find myself announcing things the way Iwata would

"the Nintendo three....Deee....Ssss"
I laughed. It's almost like they go in cold because he sounds more fluid during E3 to me.

More Luigi Mansion info, it looks really good
New Mario Golf
New Mario & Luigi
New Mario VS Donkey Kong
Super Luigi U (DLC story mode for NSMBU where you play as Luigi in 80 new levels)
Animal Crossing got a release date. (June 9th)
Harmo Knight, Dillon's Rolling Western 2, Toki Tori 2 all coming soon to eShop
DKCR gets a 3DS port (what)
Fire Emblem DLC and some are free for a limited time
Thank you! Fire Emblem DLC (the free stuff anyway) and Harmo Knight are what I'm interested in. Meh on everything else.

Mario & Luigi? Don't let Miyamoto anywhere near it and I'll be interested. Otherwise... Mario. Mario everywhere.

Why port DKCR already? The game's barely three years old and you can still play it on Wii U? wtf.

1. Metroid: after Other M the reputation franchise has been sullied and needs to get back on track.
2. F-Zero: Could use a good racer that isn't Mario Kart.
3. Fire Emblem: after the success of Awakening and with the FE+SMT crossover they could easily do something with this

...that's all I can think of.
I meant in the immediate future. I would think that they'd give FE a little rest since they're doing something with the crossover game already.

Metroid... ummm... Super Metroid for 3DS, I dunno. Sprite-based, mind you. Oh yeah, it's been a while since an F-Zero came out.

I was thinking of IPs that are severely underused.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, they're localizing the new Inafune game?!

Coooooooool. I love Aksys so much.

This is where I wish Nintendo was more like Sony. I at least know that PS4 is gonna have a ton of new first party IPs to play (hell the PS3 still has new stuff coming out this year) that I won't be able to predict, as well as the ones they established this gen, while with Ninty I can largely forsee tons of Marios, a new Zelda, Metroid, etc and a franchise revival or two only to be dropped for 10/20 more years. I wish they have their new IPs a big enough push even if they dont sell like Mario (as long as its not a super bomba anyway).
Yeah, I agree. At least Sony and to some extent MS created a lot of new IPs this generation, and sometimes sift some of them out to play every now and then (though for some of them that's limited to PlayStation All-Stars). Nintendo... I guess they're going with a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy, but relying on three main pillars with some extras on the side every now and then doesn't seem like the best idea.

Oh goodness. I... uh... maybe a better line-up will do some good for it? I don't imagine that the onslaught of Mario/Luigi stuff would be that great for it. Nintendo needs some third parties on the system... and third parties who will ensure that their game will stay on the platform.

I suspect things might pick up later on when X, SMTxFE, etc. come out, but how long will that be? Next year? Winter?

qq more

Oh, they're localizing the new Inafune game?!

Coooooooool. I love Aksys so much.

Yeah, I agree. At least Sony and to some extent MS created a lot of new IPs this generation, and sometimes sift some of them out to play every now and then (though for some of them that's limited to PlayStation All-Stars). Nintendo... I guess they're going with a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy, but relying on three main pillars with some extras on the side every now and then doesn't seem like the best idea.

Oh goodness. I... uh... maybe a better line-up will do some good for it? I don't imagine that the onslaught of Mario/Luigi stuff would be that great for it. Nintendo needs some third parties on the system... and third parties who will ensure that their game will stay on the platform.

I suspect things might pick up later on when X, SMTxFE, etc. come out, but how long will that be? Next year? Winter?

I don't really think those games will save the Wii U. They're pretty niche. They need something big. I think a 3D Mario and Smash Bros might actually do the trick. Especially the latter, I'm sure many bought the Wii for Brawl.

But yes, I would like Nintendo to give more love to other franchises. Too many damn Marios!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd honestly pick a Wii U up if there were a new Sonic game or Zelda game for it. Shit, I'd probably pick up a Japanese Wii U if there were a Tales game that won't be localized.

Outside of that... meh.

Heropon

When Shibata said in the December ND that this was going to be Luigi's year I thought it was a joke, then Nintendo found a way to release even more Mario games than in 2012. But I don't mind it because there are more games where Mario doesn't appear coming in the next months, unlike last year (Kid Icarus was soooo alone).

Will this mean that people will get tired of Luigi and demand more Mario?
All part of the master plan to bring back the Mario love.

When Shibata said in the December ND that this was going to be Luigi's year I thought it was a joke, then Nintendo found a way to release even more Mario games than in 2012. But I don't mind it because there are more games where Mario doesn't appear coming in the next months, unlike last year (Kid Icarus was soooo alone).
Yeah, this is pretty much my stance on the Mario 3DS onslaught, last year it was grating because non mario titles both first and third party got bumped back to this year while Mario madness ran wild, Like maybe they could've thrown out Fire Emblem before Sticker Star? nope, more Mario.

But this year i'm looking at the lineup with its Mario mountain and actually i'm cool with it, Mario is there but more importantly plenty of others are here as well.
Plus for me Mario Golf>Mario Tennis, Mario and Luigi>Paper Mario so that helps.
Pretty much all possible evergreen Mario titles will have been flung out by the end of the year leaving room for everything else in the future....unless they just start throwing out 3D Land 2, A Sunshine port or madness like that.

Heropon

I hated when I saw that they could localize Sticker Star in time for a 2012 release and now I have to wait until April and June for the games I really care about. Does someone know how much text it has?

qq more

I hated when I saw that they could localize Sticker Star in time for a 2012 release and now I have to wait until April and June for the games I really care about. Does someone know how much text it has?

Paper Mario Sticker Star is the least text heavy RPG I've ever played. The story is there (although basic) but there isn't honestly a lot of text going on.

Heropon

Paper Mario Sticker Star is the least text heavy RPG I've ever played.

Ah, that explains everything and decreases my hatred, but only a bit. I'm still bitter.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, thanks to that horrible drought I could finish all the Persona games, so I should be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom