• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHZ Mayor

NPD thread is Ground Zero right now. Apparently Wii-U did 55k sales for the month of January.

To put that in perspective how MEGA BOMBA that is, Lowest PS3 has been is 82k during April 2007, during the height of it's $599/no games era. X360 never has been under 100k if I remember right.

RIP Reggie

The Wii U NEEDS games. Badly. And soon. Is there ANYTHING in the pipeline besides ports coming in the next few months? This + anti-used, always online, AAAA market= next gen sucking hard.

Oh boy, I keep forgetting about the possible PS4 reveal. Can't wait for it
to have anti used games and always online DRM bs!
No, no, that's Durango. PS4 might have always-on DRM and anti-used games, but the rumors were mostly surrounding Microsoft.

Half Life 1 is amazing guys :( It does starts off really slow though.
And it's on sale!

Hey guys Mega Man 2 is still awesome.
tumblr_mcudwrYds31qg0pmn.gif

qq more

So, Anti-Super Paper Mario, then?

Pretty much.

Super Paper Mario is too text heavy for the type of game it is. And the gameplay is bad.

Paper Mario Sticker Star is too little text for the type of game it is. The gameplay is good.

Hey guys Mega Man 2 is still awesome.

I never grew up with Mega Man and yet Mega Man 2 is somehow my favorite. Oh and I'm not the kind of person to bandwagon for the sake of it on praises either.

I should clarify I brought up MM2 because I just got the 3DS VC version. I've never played the proper version, only the shitty slower PAL version, so I get to experience the true rage-inducing capabilities of vanishing blocks for the first time. Well, the first time since MM9.

The music is so fucking good.

OMG Aero

Aw man, I was finding all the Wii U sales stuff hilarious but now you've made me super bummed out about the Wii U horse.
When Shibata said in the December ND that this was going to be Luigi's year I thought it was a joke, then Nintendo found a way to release even more Mario games than in 2012. But I don't mind it because there are more games where Mario doesn't appear coming in the next months, unlike last year (Kid Icarus was soooo alone).
I think it's a fucking cop out that they are calling this the year of Luigi and there is only one new Luigi game and one piece of DLC featuring Luigi and the other two are straight up Mario games.
It's like Sega releasing Tails Skypatrol 2, adding Tails DLC for Sonic Generations, releasing two new Sonic games with Tails in his standard role and then saying it's the "year of Tails".

qq more

In speaking of Mega Man, just finished Mega Man III for the Gameboy. That's 3 games down... I'm still in the Mega Man mood so I'll try out Mega Man IV next! It's the only one (aside from the first one) I haven't beaten in the Gameboy series.

Aw man, I was finding all the Wii U sales stuff hilarious but now you've made me super bummed out about the Wii U horse.

I think it's a fucking cop out that they are calling this the year of Luigi and there is only one new Luigi game and one piece of DLC featuring Luigi and the other two are straight up Mario games.
It's like Sega releasing Tails Skypatrol 2, adding Tails DLC for Sonic Generations, releasing two new Sonic games with Tails in his standard role and then saying it's the "year of Tails".

That Mario & Luigi game focuses on Luigi's dreams though.

TheOGB

Banned
I find it rather hard to resist getting MM2 on 3DS.

They need to distract me with SNES games
or bring the fucking GBA games already

I should clarify I brought up MM2 because I just got the 3DS VC version. I've never played the proper version, only the shitty slower PAL version, so I get to experience the true rage-inducing capabilities of vanishing blocks for the first time. Well, the first time since MM9.

The music is so fucking good.

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH!
The 3DS version for Blighty isn't slowdown central? holy jones, I might have to succumb!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've always been meaning to write something up for that They Call Me Sonic album, but I always get sidetracked and forget to do it.

I will do it because that album is bananas.

More like Knuckles.

And wtf is with that soccer ball? They use a pentagon/hexagon mixture, do they not? Not squares. You can't perfectly cover a sphere in squares, from what I remember of non-Euclidean geometry.

TV-CD? Tokyo Ghetto Pussy?

qq more

From that video's comments:

Oh my word.

I really like Metal Sonic's theme from Sonic 4 Ep 2 but it wouldn't fit at all in Generations. I don't get the guy's outrage, it doesn't even work in the game's context.

EDIT: Oh wait, I guess he wanted that as an unlockable song? But Episode 2 came out after Generations. so wtf?

qq more

I remember avoiding Sunshine because people told me it was awful... but then I tried a demo at a store and enjoyed little of what I played of it. I should check it out sometime, honestly.

Nert

I remember avoiding Sunshine because people told me it was awful... but then I tried a demo at a store and enjoyed little of what I played of it. I should check it out sometime, honestly.

I think that there's enough good stuff in Sunshine for it to warrant at least one playthrough, particularly if you prefer more open-ended platformer level design (personally, I much prefer the linear Galaxy style). Compared to the stronger entries in the franchise, though, significant chunks of the game fall flat. It's kind of telling that almost everyone's favorite portions of the game are the ones where you are F.L.U.D.D.-less.

I went back and played a little bit of Sunshine a few months ago and it's honestly not the worst Mario game in the world but it's definitely very awkward and kind of rushed feeling, the biggest offense being that you often repeat the same mission objectives over, and over, and over again. More than half that game is recycled content.

The second biggest offense is that there's very little incentive to explore but you're still provided with these big levels that seem like they're encouraging exploration.

It sometimes feels like they didn't know what they wanted the game to be.

Quackula

Yeah, especially after playing the demo it seemed fine. I can easily see myself enjoying it, but maybe not as much as 64/Galaxy.

It's not as good as either of those, and it's easily my least favorite 3D Mario, but it definitely has its moments and is far from "awful." It's worth playing.

Fuck Mario Sunshine.
C598XtC.png
This is definitely the worst part of the game.

However, I thought the rest of the game felt fine. My only gripe was that, my first time playing it back in 2002, it didn't really feel like Mario. I mean, Mario was there, he was nearly as acrobatic as ever, but most of the characters and enemies I was facing were totally new creations, so there wasn't as much familiarity as I would've liked. That said, I thought it was an excellent platformer, and that FLUDD complimented the wall-jumping acrobatics fairly well in its own way, making it a lot more forgiving.

What gets me is that when they showed it off on Extended Play (pretty sure this was before the name change to X-Play), it was clearly 60FPS; and yet, when the game releases, it's 30. A tad disappointing! At least Galaxy rectified this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom