• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Wow, Sunshine isn't 60FPS? Is it possible to have it go 60FPS on Dolphin?

Also the price of the game is about 30 dollars on amazon.. I think I'll bite before it's too late.

When I say it was a rude awakening that isn't to say Sunshine is bad, but as Sega 1991 said it's a game of often repeated content, it would be like if the Galaxy games doubled up on their comets, and what's repeated isn't worth repeating, how many times have I snapped off Blooper tentacles? too many times.
It's filled with fluff, the blue coins manage to be worse than the entire works of Rare's item nabbing together (okay, minus JFG Tribals).

It's fun at points but when stacked up against the other 3D games it sticks out for its lack of polish.

tumblr_mhnbhna3bP1qaejb8o1_400.jpg

qB'Y

qq more

The thing is, Mario Sunshine was in the 10s earlier, it recently became 20 and is now hitting 30s. I don't think it's Nintendo as that game was discontinued.

For whatever reason i'm reminded of their original Sonic DS demo where players just had to rub the stylus erratically to make a 3D Sonic leg it through a Green Hill style zone as fast as possible, that would have made for a pretty shitty game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Guys I just started the Vita version of Time Travelers last night and it is gorgeous. Kinda dig the Time Travel mechanics in this.

I went back and played a little bit of Sunshine a few months ago and it's honestly not the worst Mario game in the world but it's definitely very awkward and kind of rushed feeling, the biggest offense being that you often repeat the same mission objectives over, and over, and over again. More than half that game is recycled content.

The second biggest offense is that there's very little incentive to explore but you're still provided with these big levels that seem like they're encouraging exploration.

It sometimes feels like they didn't know what they wanted the game to be.
I was really late to the party on Sunshine just because I didn't have a GameCube, so I ended up playing Galaxy before I played Sunshine... which I probably shouldn't have done. I don't think it's a bad game. It's not the worst Mario game I've played (granted, I've never played Mario 64 before so I dunno; maybe people were measuring it against that).

I have to agree with the repetition and recycling. It's the type of thing I genuinely dislike when it comes to game structure and design because I get kinda bored with it and would like some variation at least.

Fuck Mario Sunshine.
That's something I really dislike in some of these games sometimes. It drives me bonkers.

What's better, though? Red rings in Sonic or Stars/Coins in Mario?

Sega x Square-Enix collab

The World Ends With Kiryu
Can't they just crossover with Sleeping Dogs instead? That's how it'd make sense.

I'M WEI SHEN WHO ARE YOU
Kiryu: I peacocked your mom.

I still haven't played Tokyo Jungle, for shame.
Neither have I. I've had people pestering me to play it, but I just didn't have time to get to it during GotY.

Same goes for Mark of the Ninja.

What's better, though? Red rings in Sonic or Stars/Coins in Mario?
Red Rings, if only for the simplicity. You're not required to jump through hoops in order to get the Red Rings, just find some alternate paths.

EDIT: I'm talking about in comparison to Mario Sunshine. Although I still like them more than the Star Coins in NSMB.

qq more

Red Rings are like the better version of Star Coins since they actually reward you.

Star Coins kind of does too, but all it does is unlock mushroom houses (in handheld games) and World 9. I mean that sounds great until you realize World 9 itself has Star Coins and they do NOTHING.

wtf

EDIT: GAF IS BROKEN! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Neither have I. I've had people pestering me to play it, but I just didn't have time to get to it during GotY.

Same goes for Mark of the Ninja.
Mark of the Ninja takes super duper ultimate priority over the other.

Red Rings are like the better version of Star Coins since they actually reward you.

Star Coins kind of does too, but all it does is unlock mushroom houses (in handheld games) and World 9. I mean that sounds great until you realize World 9 itself has Star Coins and they do NOTHING.
Star Coins unlocking World 9 is a lot better than the Red Ring Legacy, Colours did well with Red Ring unlocks but Generations was merely okay with lacklustre concept art, Episode 2 does nothing, at all.
Even the World 9 coins shove a star on my file.

Red Rings are still decent mind you but their implementation is a bit all over the place outside of Colours, Generations doesn't give them an order on the stage select so you're not sure where to look for say the final 2 you need in a stage, well until you bug the side characters into outright telling you.

Where does Tokyo Crash Mobs fit into this crossover?
They fit in now you reminded me of whatever madness that game is about.

qq more

Star Coins unlocking World 9 is a lot better than the Red Ring Legacy, Colours did well with Red Ring unlocks but Generations was merely okay with lacklustre concept art, Episode 2 does nothing, at all.
Even the World 9 coins shove a star on my file.

Red Rings are still decent mind you but their implementation is a bit all over the place outside of Colours, Generations doesn't give them an order on the stage select so you're not sure where to look for say the final 2 you need in a stage, well until you bug the side characters into outright telling you..

Yeah I forgot how absolutely pointless the Red Rings were in Sonic 4 Ep 2. It was literally pointless. Does the game even congrats you for getting them all?

Hey, if you got all the red rings from an act in Generations you unlock a skill.
This is how you get SKATEBOARD ANYWHERE.

I forgot about that, I thought they were mission related, wait there was skateboard anywhere? damn I need to hop on that and probably die using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom