• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

Seeing that video reuploaded made me go back and watch the end of that LP because I couldn't remember the end of Black Knight at all. Sega should really do a fan art contest for the next Sonic game like they did for Black Knight, some of the ones shown in Black Knight are fucking hilarious and a few of them are actually really good.
QYlox.jpg
pVKBQ.jpg

Also Knight of the Wind is unironically awesome.

Hill Top and Mystic Cave aren't meh!

...Except for that fucking spike pit in Mystic Cave Act 2. What the fuck, Sega?
"They don't like bottomless pits, eh? BWAHAHAHA!"

The best part is dropping in as Supersonic.

I rank them Sonic 3 & Knuckles > Sonic 2 > Sonic CD > Sonic 1.

I really don't like Sonic CD that much, but I rank it above Sonic 1 because Sonic 1 is just too prototypical, same reason SMB will always be last on my list of 2D Mario games. Sonic CD just has very bad level design, imo. Levels are wide open. Rather than paths its more like random obstacles floating in the aether. The idea behind it is that you are supposed to explore the level for past sign posts, then find a place where you can speed long enough to time travel, then destroy a badnik teleporter. I like exploration in Sonic games, but here the levels are too unfocused. It just feels like a random level generator made the game. If you just want to get from beginning to end there's not very much stimulation.

The time travel mechanic is pretty annoying, too. Future sign posts and finding a spot to speed are major pains in the ass, making it more frustrating than fun. Usually you'll end up looking for a pair of springs or something.

It's still more than worth buying at $5, especially if it leads to ports of the better games or even new games using the engine.
If you're playing it as a normal Sonic game it's alright, but time travel is annoying.

Cream is cool. Why does everyone hate on Cream?

Maybe it's because of UK:R's frightening expose on what the fanbase will do to her.

Or maybe it's because she was cool in Sonic Advance 2 and she hasn't been seen in anything more than a crappy dialogue-only role since then... besides being the flyer in Heroes, that is. And that's a thankless job.

Thinking about playing Tails' Adventure.

How does it hold up by todays standard?
It's a bit sluggish, but I always liked it. It's been a few years since I last tried it, admittedly (sometime around when Gems Collection came out), but I thought it held up pretty well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sonic Riders is making me dizzy.
Maybe it's because of UK:R's frightening expose on what the fanbase will do to her.

Or maybe it's because she was cool in Sonic Advance 2 and she hasn't been seen in anything more than a crappy dialogue-only role since then... besides being the flyer in Heroes, that is. And that's a thankless job.
But her grinding animation is so cute!
Because she says "Mr. Sonic"
She's just being polite. At least she's not jumping all over Sonic's cock like that Amy Slut.

OMG Aero

But her grinding animation is so cute!
Damn right.
OAaxq.gif

Also Cream was cool in Sonic Advance 2 but she became a terrible character as soon as she got a voice because they literally made her a child, and young children in video games are almost universally annoying as fuck.

She... was always a child. Like, from day one. At least she tends to be somewhat meek and subdued in character - at least, from what I can recollect of her scenes from the various games. Heroes is the fuzziest...

Also Cream was cool in Sonic Advance 2 but she became a terrible character as soon as she got a voice because they literally made her a child, and young children in video games are almost universally annoying as fuck.

So... what you're trying to say is... a Sonic the Hedgehog character was better without a voice?

Holy motherfucking shitballs.

Emitan

They should make a game based on the anime.

WrvFw.jpg

The OVA and Sonic CD's opening are the way I want Sonic to look, dammit!

Thinking about playing Tails' Adventure.

How does it hold up by todays standard?

I've actually been replaying it this last week. It's still pretty good, though the fact that you can only have four items equipped at any given moment is real annoying for those times where you get a new thing and you have to finish the level, go back, and figure out what you want to ditch to try out the new toy.

It can make scenarios where you need a specific tool to progress REAL tedious. But besides that, it is probably still the best (and maybe only!) Metroidvania on the Game Gear.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cream is cool. Why does everyone hate on Cream?
She was the best character in Sonic Chronicles because she was useful.

It wasn't until she got a voice that she became problematic for people, I guess. In fact, I think this is true for many videogame characters.

They should make a game based on the anime.

WrvFw.jpg

The OVA and Sonic CD's opening are the way I want Sonic to look, dammit!
I want a Tales of Sonic with an OP by ufotable (because ufotable's proven that they're better than Production IG with their work in Tales of Xillia and Fate/Zero), but it isn't going to happen.

Instead, I get Tales of Keroro/Sgt. Frog (which is cool because Keroro RPG plays like Tales of Hearts with Chain Capacity).

The dude who sings the Eggman song sounds like he's got a throat made of doormat, and no pitch-shifting can change that, silly youtube person

Tizoc

Cream is friggin' adorable X3

...and am I the only one following the comics ATM or do we not discuss it in this thread anymore?

TheOGB

Banned
Found some interesting mash ups that seem to have the right idea but the execution is flawed
how fitting

Wrapped in Time (Eater)
Knight of the Seven Rings

EDIT: Huh, this one is less flawed imo: Modern Crisis City vs. I Am... All of Me
There are still times where it struggles a bit to stay together, but the times they do fit are really good. On the other hand, not sure how I feel about Shadow's main theme being attached to one of my favorite tracks from Generations. :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...and am I the only one following the comics ATM or do we not discuss it in this thread anymore?
I keep up with it, but I haven't been able to get the new issue yet. Maybe Thursday, but I'll be busy for the next two weeks.

It would seem the only sense that L0st (LOst?) possesses is that of self-egotism.
Seems like the Retro forums uses the capital O as opposed to the zero in conversation. Ah well, doesn't matter.

I think his shenanigans are outright silly. It's just a fangame.

Found some interesting mash ups that seem to have the right idea but the execution is flawed
how fitting

Wrapped in Time (Eater)
Even if a little flawed, I'd take this over the vanilla final boss theme. I guess I figured the final boss theme would've had more oomph to it in hindsight.

Sciz

I just got into them recently. Only read up to issue 16 (from the Sonic Legacy book), so waiting for the next Volume.

You're already past the high-water mark of the first 159 issues, fyi.

Anyone else read Sonic 235? What're your thoughts of it.

Grim, as expected after the end of 234. Eh, let's just go through this scene-by-scene.

-Silver #1: Making fun of his stupid hair is always amusing.

-Bunny: Crying character #1. Also, did you remember they're married? Huh? Huh? Maybe they didn't read the character description, let's put the rings in a few dozen more panels just in case. As for what she's going to do... decent odds on attempting to kill Robotnik. Curious to see how that pans out.

-Silver #2: Naugus has three emeralds in Mogul's flashback. If I'm not mistaken, GUN has the red and green right now, so assuming they paid attention to the coloring, there's an incident waiting to happen. Nice to see Silver's plot finally making a big step forward, though, he's been popping in and out unproductively for a while now.

-Tails: Crying character #2 and 3. Haven't seen Amadeus since, what, House of Cards back in 178-179? Okay, and a quick appearance in 207. Even in their few appearances, he and Rosemary haven't had much screen time with Tails, which makes the heartfelt scene here come off as a little odd.

-Council: Crying character #4. Not gonna lie, I like Naugus as a king. He's gotten more done in a few issues than any other monarch in the book ever did. And we're finally moving away from the whole nanite city thing, thank god. Nicole as the literal ghost in the machine was interesting for a while, but it got old. Good to see Rotor breaking away from the D-list cast, and the briefly significant appearance from Chuck is nice too.

Hedgehogs: Crying character #5. I like that the windows are winged rings, and that Sonic subsequently pops out of one. Bernie's character design continues to be slightly different in every single one of her appearances. And again with the vaguely defined character relationships. Rotor, Nicole, and Espio hanging out rings more true than Amy being that close to Jules and Bernie.

Sonic: Hey, it's Muttski. And Big! Ian's clearly had the whole sequence between Sonic and Silver in mind for a while now, because it comes off better than any other interaction this issue.

Geoffery: Crying character #6. We had a whole issue devoted to retconning everything he's ever done and I still don't know exactly what his motivations are.

Silver #3: "It's no use!" Thought we wouldn't catch that, eh Ian? Getting tired of the owl already. The whole "Secret Freedom Fighters" thing comes off as a throwback to the time where the comic had a new Something Freedom Fighters group around every corner, and none of them were ever interesting in the slightest. The writing for this arc had better be top notch, because we've already seen the rest of the team on the cover and it doesn't inspire confidence.

Off Panel: Bivalve, Nate Morgan, and... is that Mama Robotnik and a Beagle Brother?

Great to see some character arcs finally progressing, in any case. Counting Hope and Snivley at the end of Universe 38, we've had eight distinct characters breaking into tears within two issues. Stop doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom