• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Tails and Rouge could throw Dummy Ring Bombs in Sonic Heroes, but only when the other two characters were tied up for some reason. (I used to make a game of trapping two out of the three characters and trying to play through the rest solo. The game actually has some functionality for it, like it understands that all three characters being trapped means a life over.) Cream used Cheese, and I can't remember what Charmy did.

Edit: Beaten by Nocturnowl. But I will also point it out may have been a call-back to the original tech demo for 2006, where there was a room where the player could control the camera and shoot ring boxes around to demonstrate it was realtime.

For the record Charmy would actually use a sting attack, no ring trickery or chao slavery there.
Mentioning how all characters being trapped was a game over reminds me that the rings became even worse if Sonic and Knuckles got snagged by that robot that swiped up characters, trying to ring bomb that guy was a bit awkward, especially with the potentailly swift life loss that would come if caught.
Eggman should make an army of those robots, they are one of the best sonic stopping tools he has after those "speed traps" and rotating barrels .

TheOGB

Banned
I would buy a mobile game where the premise was to navigate an army of those barrels.

Completely unrelated minor realization: The bassline in Modern Planet Wisp is the one from Color's PW Act 3 mix.

It's a fucking crime that you have to do Rooftop Run as Werehog before Hedgehog. A CRIME.

The Werehog is already a crime, that's like mass murder.

On another note what was the Sonic Gaf consensus on 3DS Generations in the end? its UK price is lowering to the point where I may get suckered in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic Pt.114 - Sonic Unleashed (6/?)
I think we are pretty much at the point everyone reaches sooner or later in Sonic Unleashed where the game stops you until you figure out that you need to collect medals.
I forgot, but does the game ever explicitly tell the player that they need to level up the sun/moon medal gauges by collecting medals, most of which are in the Werehog stages?

I know it must be in the manual somewhere, but I don't remember the game telling the player that outside of the gauge levelling up as you collect medals.

On another note what was the Sonic Gaf consensus on 3DS Generations in the end? its UK price is lowering to the point where I may get suckered in.
First three levels are copypasta from the first three games, the next two are terrible, and the last two are okay. The meat of the game truly lies in the missions and the multiplayer. It isn't too bad, but yeah, get it when it hits the bargain bin.

Double post, I know, but you could not imagine the smile on my face when I saw the first post of the "bad midi tracks" thread. :lol
As soon as I read it, I instantly thought of you and, for some reason, the Sonic cake.

gxZAI.jpg

I don't know if that's a good thing.

OMG Aero

It's a fucking crime that you have to do Rooftop Run as Werehog before Hedgehog. A CRIME.
But if you do the daytime level first then the night level will ruin your memories of the best level in the game.

Generations 3DS is a good game and if you actually use play coins to unlock the missions it will last you forever.
I paid £20 for it and don't regret a penny.

I guess i'll give Generations 3DS a shot, between the reminder of that cake and mentions of the SC nocturne music it seems that much better

Sciz

Double post, I know, but you could not imagine the smile on my face when I saw the first post of the "bad midi tracks" thread. :lol

I clicked it, correctly assuming what it was, and was then enormously surprised when I went back and read the username and it wasn't you.

qq more

Sonic Generations 3DS is actually not too bad outside of Radical Highway. Seriously, fuck that god damn awful level. (Emerald Coast was okay, at least Act 1. But randomly placed crates kept breaking the pace of the level. Why do I keep running into them, Dimps?!)

It's worth no more than $15, IMHO. I say go for it if you don't mind copy+pasted levels.

(Homing Attack is still the stupidest idea for Classic Sonic.)

AoSTH and SATAM

everyone should watch either one of these

I should get back to watching SatAM, but then I started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender instead. Never seen a complete run of that series.

From what I remember, SatAM is pretty rough around the edges for that first season, but it hits is stride in Season 2... just in time for the cliffhanger that ended the series.

qq more

Yeah, SatAM really picks up on Season 2. Such a shame Season 3 never happened. SatAM is like... Sonic and serious done right.

Sonic OVA is the only legit good 90s Sonic animation. SatAM nearly gets there, AoStH is a cheap attempt at slapstick and Sonic Underground is Sonic Underground.

qq more

I don't know. I never thought Sonic OVA was as great as everyone made it out to be. But it has been a while since I last saw it. I think I liked SatAM more. AoSTH is an acquired taste though, it is a very strange show but it's entertaining if you don't mind how weird it is. But I understand why some don't like it.

In other news:

"I really really enjoyed Sonic 06 yeah i know it was full of glitches and bugs but most of the bugs and glitches are fixed in the PS3 version (well MOST of them) and it was pretty fun in my opinion."

Oh Sonic 06 fans. You never cease to amaze me.

Emitan

I continue to believe that everyone who thinks Sonic 06 is a great game has never played a video game prior and are just lying about it.

I mean, I get different opinions and all, but people that legit call Sonic 06 a good game have to be straight-up delusional. I thought my "it's a busted as fuck game, but there's some mostly okay Sonic Adventure-esque design in there if you can deal with that shit" was already being generous and leaning towards the apologetic.

qq more

Yeah seriously, I even like games like Sonic 3D Blast and Knuckles Chaotix (to an extent) and I still think anyone that thinks 06 is at least "okay" has obviously never played many good games.

EDIT: And I don't get how the kid came to the conclusion that the PS3 version has less bugs. It's ten times worse than the 360 version.

EDIT: And I don't get how the kid came to the conclusion that the PS3 version has less bugs. It's ten times worse than the 360 version.

The PS3 version was delayed until after the 360 version, so I can only guess people assume it was more refined. When in actually they were just so far behind developing it on unfamiliar hardware that it took them that long just to catch up to where the 360 was, if that.

What drives me crazy is that different regions fixed different things, and some of it is major. Like from what I've read, in the PAL region versions, you can just jump into enemies to destroy them. But in the US versions, if you try that without a homing attack or other attack, you'll be hurt. That's a big gameplay difference (and something that really bothered me when I first started playing 2006.)

It really makes me sad that Naughty Dog will actually invite gamers into the studio to get their input to try to fix controls complaints with a patch about a week after the game ships, but Sega's like "Too bad, it's done now for better or worse, on to the next!" They fixed a few tiny things in Unleashed with the DLC patch, but that was mostly because they got in the way of the DLC they wanted to make. (Like the laps expoit.) And Generations is a fantastic game with just a few small issues that could be touched up, and they shipped a patch which basically fixed some of the PC issues, and one mission (the Rouge in Seaside Hill one), and that's just about it. I know patches have to go through certification on the consoles, and can be expensive, but I really wish that they'd treat the Sonic games like modern products, and use patches to fix issues and big complaints.

To be fair, in order to fix Sonic 06, you'd have to fix A LOT.

I meant more than just 06, and I will admit the patching process used to be different for the 360, so maybe a big patch wasn't feasible back then, due to patching limitations.

But there are things even in Generations worth fixing. I made a big list of them a while back, and since then plenty of glitches have been found.

OMG Aero

I'm caught up with Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic. :( What do I watch now?
This has absolutely nothing to do with Sonic so I won't post it again but Kyle and Keith who do that let's play also just started a let's play of Silent Hill so if you just like listening to them or don't mind what game they play you can watch that.
Heads up though, they are going in blind so if you get mad at people doing things wrong in video games you probably won't like it.

I've been giving the 3DS portion of the Sonic Generations OST a good listen, and it's crazy how good Tropical Resort is. I kind of think Planet Wisp makes more sense as a choice from Sonic Colours, but god damn if that music isn't the business. Radical Highway is great too but I'm not a fan of how screechy the Act 1 version is (and Act 2's track is plain weird). Oh, and the Big Arm track (Doomsday Zone, right?) is lovely, especially when it just goes nuts at the end.

Honestly, those who are trying to "fix" Sonic 2006 at this point need to get on with their lives more and work on something new.

Not to mention at this point it's probably faster and more accessible to port the levels to something else, like SonicGDK or maybe even Generations. Something where it would be easier to work with and have others play them.

There's actually a project to port them in to GDK, but it's slow going because predictably the people who want to do it know very little about Unreal Engine, it seems.

Oh, and the Big Arm track (Doomsday Zone, right?) is lovely, especially when it just goes nuts at the end.
No, this is The Doomsday Zone; this is Big Arm's theme.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why it's called the "Final Boss" music when both Sonic and Knuckles have bosses immediately after it using The Doomsday Zone's theme (in Sonic's case, literally because it's The Doomsday Zone). That's some "Full-Life Consequences"-level thinking right there.

No, this is The Doomsday Zone; this is Big Arm's theme.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why it's called the "Final Boss" music when both Sonic and Knuckles have bosses immediately after it using The Doomsday Zone's theme (in Sonic's case, literally because it's The Doomsday Zone). That's some "Full-Life Consequences"-level thinking right there.

Ah, OK, I see, I swear someone was saying that boss had the Doomsday Zone music back at E3 last year.

And it's called the Final Boss because it's the final boss of Sonic 3. Without Sonic & Knuckles locked on, that's the last thing you do in the game. ...I think.

OMG Aero

Ah, OK, I see, I swear someone was saying that boss had the Doomsday Zone music back at E3 last year.

And it's called the Final Boss because it's the final boss of Sonic 3. Without Sonic & Knuckles locked on, that's the last thing you do in the game. ...I think.
It did have the Doomsday Zone music at some point but they changed it when they realised that Big Arm never used that music.

Honestly, those who are trying to "fix" Sonic 2006 at this point need to get on with their lives more and work on something new.

I meant more than just 06, and I will admit the patching process used to be different for the 360, so maybe a big patch wasn't feasible back then, due to patching limitations.

But there are things even in Generations worth fixing. I made a big list of them a while back, and since then plenty of glitches have been found.

Let's be clear here, I am NOT talking about 2006, that was qq that brought that up. I'm taking about the fact that there's still problems and glitches in Generations that pretty much any other modern developer (except maybe Capcom...) would've ironed out with a patch by now. Even on a multiplatform PS3/360/PC release. Sega's "dump a Sonic game out and run away" approach is looking a little outdated by 2012.

jman2050

Oh, and the Big Arm track (Doomsday Zone, right?) is lovely, especially when it just goes nuts at the end.

It's funny, because for years I always lamented that remixes never really did justice to the original song (Big Arm song, since as pointed out it's not Doomsday), then Sega comes out and pulls it off in their own game.

Despite some misfires, Jun Senoue really is pretty talented.

EDIT - Brain fart, forgot that particular song was Cash Cash + Senoue

qq more

Let's be clear here, I am NOT talking about 2006, that was qq that brought that up. I'm taking about the fact that there's still problems and glitches in Generations that pretty much any other modern developer (except maybe Capcom...) would've ironed out with a patch by now. Even on a multiplatform PS3/360/PC release. Sega's "dump a Sonic game out and run away" approach is looking a little outdated by 2012.

Yeah, my bad. Sorry about that!

Yeah I wish Sega would fix some things on Generations. I was hoping they'd find a way to reduce the annoying input lag I get in the PS3 version. Other PS3 games I have don't even get input lag (except for Demon Souls). :(

Well, looks like I'll be joining the dark side soon

Dydhb.png

You chose the worst version instead of chickening out on the less buggy 360 version. Good luck man. (I got the ps3 version too)

You are correct on both accounts. The E3 demo had a different song and it was Doomsday Zone. (The remix wasn't very good). They later replaced it with the Big Arms theme.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, my bad. Sorry about that!

Yeah I wish Sega would fix some things on Generations. I was hoping they'd find a way to reduce the annoying input lag I get in the PS3 version. Other PS3 games I have don't even get input lag (except for Demon Souls). :(

You chose the worst version instead of chickening out on the less buggy 360 version. Good luck man. (I got the ps3 version too)

You are correct on both accounts. The E3 demo had a different song and it was Doomsday Zone. (The remix wasn't very good). They later replaced it with the Big Arms theme.

Unfortunately I only own a PS3, so I had no choice...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This was the crappy Doomsday Remix that the E3 Sonic Generations 3DS demo had.

Well, looks like I'll be joining the dark side soon

Dydhb.png
I'm so sorry... :(

So did I. It's the only version I have access to since I don't have a 360. Besides... I think the PS3 version is the definitive version just because it's worse!

edit: comment a friend of mine left for him, xD, as you can see, he didn't take to it too kindly
BVl2i.png
Oh boy, I can't wait.
KuGsj.gif

He's so mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom