• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally on the home stretch of the Sonic Oh Six portion of that let's play. The awfulness never ceases to appall me.
No one can bear to look away from that trainwreck. It's entertaining, at least. Not surprising they did overtime episodes for it at all.

Let's Play 20 Years of Hub worlds Pt.113 - Sonic Unleashed (5/?)
The ending of this video is so perfect when you consider everything else they did in this episode.
That creepy panting...

Anyway, I love hearing people react to that BGM during Unleashed playthroughs.
KuGsj.gif

Wii version of that stage was more fun, imo.

Sonic 2006 should have been Pele's game from the start. That duo just makes perfect sense.

Now we just need to find substitutes for Silver and Shadow if possible/needed.

Sonic Man can be Shadow. Cut Silver out entirely.

LURKERS ANYONE THAT CAN DRAW, PLEASE MAKE A DRAWING OF PELE AND HATSUN IN SONIC 2'S TITLE SCREEN

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I love how optimistic they sound during the opening cinematic of Unleashed.

Then Dark Gaia appears.

Then the Werehog appears.

Disappointmenton total.

edit: and chip
they even guess his entire backstory!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sonic: Night of the Werehog
This was pretty good. Not only the animation was expressive and fluid, but the script isn't half bad. It's a silent short with no dialogue so you don't have to worry about the stupid Sonic voice acting, but even so the sound effects were supreme. It's short and inoffensive too: about ten minutes long and there's hardly anything to scoff at.

There's a myriad of complaints you can make about Sega's in-house departments, but their CGI studio is among the best. I would say they are even better than Squeenix's. 5/5 gotta go fasts
It also had a moé ghost. Moé. Ghost.

qq more

Unleashed had a really cool art direction. One of my favorite things about the game.

I really need to give the game third chance. I want to like the game but Werehog is so... :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is amazing.
KuGsj.gif

I would play this. Dozens of times.

This one is adorable.

The sad part is that the Werehog stuff is not actually bad. It just goes on for way too long.
That's how I feel about it. It isn't awful. Sure, the battle music feels like it comes up a lot, but the stages are just way too long. You shouldn't be spending 20 minutes in a Sonic stage. At all. You can speed up the process by levelling up some, but it's unfortunate that the parts are super-slow as it is when you start them.

Eggmanland simply showed us the worst that Unleashed had to offer by being incomprehensibly long.

Klaymator14 said:
An update on the Sonic Unleashed PC port.
I definitely can't wait until I see some Adabat footage.

I definitely can't wait until I see some Adabat footage.

From what I've read, Adabat might be difficult if not impossible to port. Outside of Eggmanland, Adabat is apparently one of the biggest levels in the game - so big that the way I understand it, you reach the boundaries of the map itself and the game has to teleport you somewhere else for the rest of the level.

So basically something like this:

KMmzL.png

If you listen carefully, that "Shing!" sound at 4:26 is when Sonic teleports to the other part of the map.

The problem is that the method Sonic Unleashed uses to teleport Sonic might not exist in Generations, meaning the level might be impossible to port.

That art up there is pretty nice, Unleashed has a better style than I give it credit for yet it still feels a bit ad odds with the scenery itself.

And glancing at that Jungle Joyride day video to show the whole teleport thing I can't help but notice how Jungle Joyride day theme sounds like some sort of electronic yet tribal like James Bond style theme, I should be able to use it in Goldeneye's jungle stage of drone gun annoyance. As for the telport i'm assuming the camera cut with the long slope is the big give away.

The thing about these videos that annoys me is that, watching them, they look really fun and make me want to play the game. Then I remember that I have tried this game, and my experience was more like Sega1991's videos than that one.
Needs more "Beloved" between "the" and "Dog" (and maybe the accent over the é); otherwise, amazing.

Yeah, Unleashed's character design was super-appealing to me, in all honesty - cartoony humans fit so well into a universe centered around a cartoony anthro hedgehog. Their attempts to use less exaggerated designs generally fell flat in comparison (Adventure's low-detailed anime characters were okay, but the humans in SA2 and Shadow looked kind of out-of-place, and 2K6 speaks for itself). I hope they use her again for future games!

Lijik

It's a shame they haven't done more of these, but I suppose making free 10-minute shorts isn't a great business model.

Im sure now with the 3DS they could sell them on the eshop like Dreamworks does with some of their stuff.
Granted I dont think Sega has the budget right now even for that.

Granted I dont think Sega has the budget right now even for that.
Seriously, the fact we got that short, on top of the costs of the development of the Hedgehog Engine, on top of the MASSIVE, multi-console game that Unleashed was, and after 06 tanked in retail baffles me. How could Sega afford all that?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pachinko!
But that means death, and Sega isn't Konami... yet.

From what I've read, Adabat might be difficult if not impossible to port. Outside of Eggmanland, Adabat is apparently one of the biggest levels in the game - so big that the way I understand it, you reach the boundaries of the map itself and the game has to teleport you somewhere else for the rest of the level.

So basically something like this:

KMmzL.png

If you listen carefully, that "Shing!" sound at 4:26 is when Sonic teleports to the other part of the map.

The problem is that the method Sonic Unleashed uses to teleport Sonic might not exist in Generations, meaning the level might be impossible to port.
Aw, that's unfortunate. I think the landscape's absolutely beautiful, so if it were possible to see it without that many hitches running on a PC that would've been lovely.

I didn't realize that the game teleported you around throughout the map to gain access to 'newer' parts, but I guess it makes sense given the nature of the area in general. And you didn't teleport around in Generations, so I guess they wouldn't have the capacity to add it in. It's too bad.

I don't think they'd work on Eggmanland, then. The length alone makes me think that it's huge. Plus I don't... care for the HD version of Eggmanland very much.

'06 tanked in retail? How'd it get platinum status, then?

It didn't actually start selling well until it hit the budget price. If I'm not mistaken, it's the best selling HD Sonic so far? God I hope I'm wrong.

Aw, that's unfortunate. I think the landscape's absolutely beautiful, so if it were possible to see it without that many hitches running on a PC that would've been lovely.

I didn't realize that the game teleported you around throughout the map to gain access to 'newer' parts, but I guess it makes sense given the nature of the area in general. And you didn't teleport around in Generations, so I guess they wouldn't have the capacity to add it in. It's too bad.
Yeah, that's one of the levels that would benefit most from the port, since the framerate in the original was mostly anchored in the teens. The framerate aside, it's one of the best looking stages in the game. I'm still in awe at how they managed to pull off foliage of that quality with that much speed.

This also makes me wonder if there are screenshots showing the entire stage map all at once. I'd love to get an idea of how big the stages actually are, kind of in the vain of these kind of images.

Even in 06 it's kind of impressive to see what an entire level looks like from afar. This is the only instance I can recall where a 3D game gives you a glimpse of an entire stage. I can only imagine how big Unleashed/Generations stages are compared to this.
FEGTj.png

So... '97? Kind of early.

Anyway, don't recall this being posted, but Pelé the Beloved Dog's best pal is now playable.
Kolibri 2006?

The awkward moment when a fucking pigeon is a better fit as a playable character in a game than the main character.

You said it. I know the underlying game isn't different, but this almost works... better somehow? At least it makes more sense for a pigeon to fly around crapping bombs on everybody.

I've just thought, why the hell did Tails start dropping exploding rings as his main attack in certain sonic games? they are clumsy to use in any game i've suffered them in especially compared to simply smacking foes with twin tails. Maybe they were just trying to play up his engineering background with booby trapped rings but surely the one character who makes a mad dash towards rings with no hesitation is sonic himself and on occasion the rest of his chums, Eggman isn't going to pocket them, Tails is either a cunning traitor or he just makes crappy weapons.

I can only think of the one game that he did that in, honestly, and that was 2K6.

I'm assuming it's a roundabout reference to Tails Adventures, where he threw actual bombs. Why he didn't throw actual bombs in 2K6, I couldn't tell you. Maybe they wanted to avoid controversy with knee-jerking parents insisting that kids would get into explosives through their game. Maybe they wanted to show off their physics engine by generating a lot of useless physics objects to play around with. Either way, the decision was terrible, because it creates a lot of visual clutter, especially when you lose your rings for real and have to figure out where the hell they are amongst a smorgasbord of fake rings, and because it doesn't make any sense.

He could throw them in Sonic Heroes as well provided you were stuck as Tails alone, i'm thinking it must have appeared in more than two games but that could just be it, still it seems like such a worthless method of attack. The Tail's adventure throwback is possible, hell he uses a ring in sky patrol to attack among other things (I think), it's like an unholy combination of the two game gear game attacks he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom