• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-18-game-industry-legends-yuji-naka

He continued, "Today's games are created to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible, so that's why the difficulty levels are so low in order to have both experienced and non-experienced gamers be able to play them. Sonic has a very simple control scheme that is capable of doing a lot of advanced things while sprinting at a high speed, that's what makes it a good game in my opinion. I think even moderately raising the difficulty level in the future could work well."

I'd like it if the games respected the player's ability more, maybe optionally (I.E. A "Pro" mode with less "Goes Fast" Dash Panels when they're not trying to cover up an awkward transition), but harder? The modern 3D games usually get moderately to very frustrating by the end, particularly 2006 and Unleashed, but even some of the others. They were hard for the wrong reasons. I don't want my Sonic games to become generically "hard" if that's what they do. I want something like Action Master in Generations, designed to test your abilities to the fullest, but not stretched out into this unending level, and holding back on the "do this perfectly or die" mechanic they love. ("Surprise, hit the X button 60 times before the bar runs out or you lose this final boss fight!")

Not to harp on 2006, I know that's kind of dead at this point, but this was a game that needed an Easy Mode (and the version of Kingdom Valley shown at trade shows had "easy" mechanics built in, like some of the pits let Sonic slowly float over them instead of falling to his death, like he was over a wind current), and instead they made Normal, Hard, DLC Very Hard, and STILL had "Super Hard" planned on top of that. Now I'd be ok with a Sonic game with Easy, Normal, Hard, assuming the difficulty levels were actually accurate to their descriptions, for the right reasons. But a little too often, they haven't had the best idea of how to make the Sonic games "hard" and yet still fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I spent my holiday playing Sonic 4 (mostly the entirety of Episode 1), and now I feel all dirty.

I could've used that time to play something in my backlog that I'd like a lot more.

I'd like it if the games respected the player's ability more, maybe optionally (I.E. A "Pro" mode with less "Goes Fast" Dash Panels when they're not trying to cover up an awkward transition), but harder? The modern 3D games usually get moderately to very frustrating by the end, particularly 2006 and Unleashed, but even some of the others. They were hard for the wrong reasons. I don't want my Sonic games to become generically "hard" if that's what they do. I want something like Action Master in Generations, designed to test your abilities to the fullest, but not stretched out into this unending level, and holding back on the "do this perfectly or die" mechanic they love. ("Surprise, hit the X button 60 times before the bar runs out or you lose this final boss fight!").
Yeah, I don't want hard Sonic games (and I don't know if I could classify the older games as pretty difficult (maybe Metropolis Zone?) but they had a good curve with Hill levels being the generic starter level and then you work your way up to harder stuff, but even then, they were still doable.), but difficulty settings would be good.

And the Action Master sort of thing sounds like a good idea. The challenges in general in Generations were good ideas. There were some frustrating ones, but the ones that tested how you used the shields or Sonic's abilities were fun.

iavi

And the Action Master sort of thing sounds like a good idea. The challenges in general in Generations were good ideas. There were some frustrating ones, but the ones that tested how you used the shields or Sonic's abilities were fun.

Yeah, the challenges really were the best part about Generations, imo. In fact, it was on one of Speed Highways time trail challenge that the whole design of Modern Sonic really clicked with me - play it like Outrun! Action Master on Planet Wisp was another fav of mine, and one that's noted frequently, I think. I'd love to see them expand on the idea, somehow without bloat.

Sciz

They'd do well to figure out how to make badniks remotely threatening in 3D. Stuff with a homing shot attack in an area you can't just boost through is the best they've done so far, but that isn't enough.

Also, go back to losing all of your rings on hit. No idea why they keep screwing that up every few years.

OMG Aero

I blame the LP for making me go back and do this.
s1We5.jpg

Final thoughts on Unleashed:
Man this game is great looking. My memory might be fuzzy but it looks way better than I remember Generations looking. I also really like the world theme of the game, with the music and the visual style they really pull it off and the levels really look like they could be set in the countries they are meant to be if there were loops and springs everywhere. It really is a great break from the standard level tropes Sonic games have.

Now for the bad things, fuck the hot dog missions. I know they are just completionist things that you can totally skip but it is such bullshit that you essentially have to do 15 perfect runs of each level with handicaps. It's so annoying when I would complete the first time trial mission in a time under the third time trial limit but I still have to do the time trial mission twice again. They should have made all the hot dog missions single challenges with gold, silver and bronze medals instead of splitting them up into three separate missions.

And last but not least, the fucking bees.
TaB9s.png

What the fuck is up with these enemies? Every single encounter I had with them in a hot dog mission I had to cheese by either unleashing or throwing them off the level if I could. If I tried to beat them normally they would either take way too much time or do way too much damage to me in the survival missions. Is there a bug with their hit detection or something or are they meant to be the worst fucking enemies in the entire game?

Kokonoe

Banned
As a reminder for those having issues with the Wasp/Bee things, I made this post a few pages back as they were giving me a hard time as well.

For Werehog, I'd like to offer a tip that'll really help you later on when you meet these red hornet things of doom. Just grab them with B when they're at full health, and keep slamming them back and forth over and over. It's the easiest way to kill them, and you can kill other things at the same time.

-

Replay value.

Go to the SEGA forums and someone would actually agree with that statement.

TheOGB

Banned
s1We5.jpg

Man this game is great looking. My memory might be fuzzy but it looks way better than I remember Generations looking. I also really like the world theme of the game, with the music and the visual style they really pull it off and the levels really look like they could be set in the countries they are meant to be if there were loops and springs everywhere. It really is a great break from the standard level tropes Sonic games have.

Now for the bad things, fuck the hot dog missions. I know they are just completionist things that you can totally skip but it is such bullshit that you essentially have to do 15 perfect runs of each level with handicaps. It's so annoying when I would complete the first time trial mission in a time under the third time trial limit but I still have to do the time trial mission twice again. They should have made all the hot dog missions single challenges with gold, silver and bronze medals instead of splitting them up into three separate missions.

And last but not least, the fucking bees.

What the fuck is up with these enemies? Every single encounter I had with them in a hot dog mission I had to cheese by either unleashing or throwing them off the level if I could. If I tried to beat them normally they would either take way too much time or do way too much damage to me in the survival missions. Is there a bug with their hit detection or something or are they meant to be the worst fucking enemies in the entire game?
Still going through this, very much agreed. And that tip about picking up stuff and bashing shit was very helpful.

TheOGB

Banned
I don't get it, am I strange for never running into a situation where I didn't have enough medals? I don't want to say they've been easy to come by, but they haven't been much trouble at all.

I assume you guys have run into the one were Silver throws you into space right?

Silver has thrown me through the invisible player clipping before. I ran around an empty Soleanna with no loaded tech (ie Bridges, Objects etc.) Then, I ran right around and got back into the fight arena from the other side before he grabbed me and threw me at a wall three times.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Congrats. I don't think I could ever platinum that game. I don't have the patience for some of the stuff required for it.

Unleashed is one of my favourite games to look at from this generation because the art direction is amazing, and the colour palette used for almost everything makes the scenery so gorgeous. I agree with your sentiments with regards to a break from the regular level tropes featured in Sonic games. I guess it made the game feel more 'elegant'.

I almost cried when this almost happened.
It's happened to me several times until I decided that running around and catching him mid-animation was the better idea.

Aw, they could go to Eggmanland if they wanted to, since that'd be a fun watch. But I think they should move onto Colours.

We can watch Kung Fu Jesus's Final Fantasy XIII-2 LP in the meantime, featuring FFXIII hentai mentions by Pokecapn. Looking forward to this since, uh, I thought the game was average at best and I don't care much for it since it was so easy... I complained about it earlier in this thread, anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
YES. Welcome to hell.

And it takes them several episodes to get through Eggmanland. Good, good.

New KungFuJesus and runbutton? My anime backlog will keep on growing.
The KFJ LP is soooo good so far (outside of skipping this scene-- not a spoiler since it's an optional dialogue scene).

I ended up posting the LP in here because, uh... I notice that some FF threads are generally Serious Business/No Fun Allowed territory (with the FF Community Thread being a slight exception). Plus more people in here are familiar with the LPers anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You could make an OT with the subtitle: "From the creators of the Sonic 06 Let's Play".
I wonder if I should, though, since the OT still gets bumped every now and then, and they basically spoil the game and some of the DLC. If people are interested, I'll do it after my hair appointment, unless anyone else wants to do it now.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 LP | From the Creators of the Sonic 06 Let's Play

"Oh no, this thunderstorm's carrying a car!" :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Runbutton's LP 29 minutes in: looooooooooooooooooooooooool
I wonder if I should, though, since the OT still gets bumped every now and then, and they basically spoil the game and some of the DLC. Unless people are interested, I'll do it after my hair appointment, unless anyone else wants to do it now.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 LP | From the Creators of the Sonic 06 Let's Play

"Oh no, this thunderstorm's carrying a car!" :D
I am interested! Just put a disclaimer or something.

Yeah, only 1 and a half episodes in and I'm already loving this LP.

edit: "He rode to the past on a meteorite, which is pretty damn baller actually" :lol :lol :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Runbutton's LP 29 minutes in: looooooooooooooooooooooooool

I am interested! Just put a disclaimer or something.
Yeah, I'll post it in a bit. I think there might be other people interested in it, and we should have a place to discuss it outside of the Sonic thread.

Hair appointment? O:

I want one! :T
I got my eyebrows waxed after she washed my hair. I don't like that part of it. :/

But I love getting my hair washed at the hairdresser's. They tend to give you a head massage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom