• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
z3Joz.png

And suddenly 06 became a classic.

Lijik

Honestly it's amazing that Sega has yet to make a "unlimited runner" game for iPhone with Sonic in it. Seems perfectly suited for it.

The Sonic 20th Anniversary app includes Doodle Sonic, its basically that flash game minus the soccerballs and ads

Pietepiet

Decided today while playing Generations 3DS that I should really finish Colours DS.

Booted it up, got all Emeralds. Figured I'd be almost done.
NOPE! God damn, this is possibly the worst Super Sonic boss I've ever played. Ugh. Sonic Colours DS wasn't my favourite of the three DS games anyway, but this makes it even less fun :\ I just can't seem to beat this thing. That eye laser always gets me when I'm almost at his face.

Decided today while playing Generations 3DS that I should really finish Colours DS.

Booted it up, got all Emeralds. Figured I'd be almost done.
NOPE! God damn, this is possibly the worst Super Sonic boss I've ever played. Ugh. Sonic Colours DS wasn't my favourite of the three DS games anyway, but this makes it even less fun :\ I just can't seem to beat this thing. That eye laser always gets me when I'm almost at his face.

I think I stopped before picking up the last emerald on that one because I just didn't want to face another special stage, i'm going to assume it was the right choice.

Sciz

I think I stopped before picking up the last emerald on that one because I just didn't want to face another special stage, i'm going to assume it was the right choice.

Whaaaaat.

Colors DS had the best special stage concept they've done in a long time, and the last few are the best by virtue of having any actual challenge.

Whaaaaat.

Colors DS had the best special stage concept they've done in a long time, and the last few are the best by virtue of having any actual challenge.

Weren't they just the bastard child of Sonic Heroes and Sonic 2 special stages with touch control?

Pietepiet

I like the special stages in Colours, but they're way too easy (especially compared to the ones in Rush, which I also really loved)

Kokonoe

Banned
I like the special stages in Colours, but they're way too easy (especially compared to the ones in Rush, which I also really loved)

I guess it is easy, but I was just satisfied with the fact that a 2D Sonic game had an entertaining Special Stage again. I haven't played the Rush ones, though.

Sciz

Weren't they just the bastard child of Sonic Heroes and Sonic 2 special stages with touch control?

Only if you weren't paying attention to how they worked. Unlike every other halfpipe variant, you run through the same segment three times instead of three different segments. Consequently, how well you dodged the wrong colors early on has a direct effect on how difficult the later segments will be, and there's also some decision making to do about whether or not to save the wildcard balls for later. It's a really clever concept that they just didn't make challenging enough.

Only if you weren't paying attention to how they worked. Unlike every other halfpipe variant, you run through the same segment three times instead of three different segments. Consequently, how well you dodged the wrong colors early on has a direct effect on how difficult the later segments will be, and there's also some decision making to do about whether or not to save the wildcard balls for later. It's a really clever concept that they just didn't make challenging enough.

I admit I never noticed that it was the same section each time, coming to think of it by the sounds of things I missed a lot of the extra tricks to this one.

Is this real? Some pretty crazy requirements for unlocking a special chao.

I randomly popped in SA2 the other day and forgot how fun Chao garden was :3
I love the Chaos. Definitely the big part of the SA games that's held up.

When I got SA1 on XBLA I'd say it took me about 15 hours to beat it. Half of that time was devoted to Chao raising probably.

Kokonoe

Banned

Tails Chao is real and I had like 4 of em. I hope they bring back the Chao Garden some day, was absolutely fun.

I'm holding out till they rerelease it in HD which most likely will be this year if the rumors are correct.

I was one Dark Chao Race away from getting the final emblem and unlocking GHZ in the DC version of SA2 when the little shit decided to die on me.

Fuck Chao Gardens.

Emitan

I HAVE THE SA2 CHAO RACING MUSIC IN MY HEAD AND IT WON'T LEAVE

ITS BEEN HOURS

EDIT: OMG me Schala are the top two posters. Girl power~

Pietepiet

Chao Gardens need to be brought back. If they don't want to do it in Sonic, just add it to the online Phantasy Star games. Having a pet to raise in an MMO makes sense to me.

We should all raise a Chao in SA2 and post pictures and then brag about how adorable they are.

Pietepiet

Why does this sound so oddly entertaining? I can't face my garden, not after my favourite Chao died of old age, now it's a mere infant with a fraction of the power it once held, I cannot accept this!

I lost my old Garden years ago. Started a new one last week when I started a new SA2 file. Let's do this!

Slermy

That doesn't seem too far fetched actually. The PSO mission is pretty early on.

Speaking of SA2: Battle though, I have the Dreamcast release, was there any reason to grab the Gamecube one?

Kokonoe

Banned
One thing that would've made SA2 even a bit better would've been if they let you use all the multiplayer characters in singleplayer time trial levels.

I had no problem doing the missions in SA2, but the chao raising got tedious after a while.

Chao boxing in Battle was fun though, and I eventually got to play Green Hill. And it was the best day of my life.

nns3d

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-18-game-industry-legends-yuji-naka

^Posted? An article on Yuja Naka. They interviewed him on the state of the modern Sonic games and he says that they aren't as fun or as challenging as they used to be. I've quoted the bit on Sonic but if ya wanna read the rest it's in the link.

Given that the last several years of Sonic gaming have been mostly sub-par (by Sega's own admission), we couldn't resist the opportunity to pick Naka-san's brain about what's gone wrong with the cherished franchise he started. Ironically, the explosion of the games industry in the last couple decades could have something to do with it, as more and more companies are trying to appeal to the mainstream - and that may not have been the best approach for Sonic.

"I also think that recent iterations have not been as fun when compared to those of the past," Naka-san agreed, proceeding to explain what Sega has done wrong: "I think the number one reason for this is that the games have become much easier, so the gamer doesn't feel that extreme joy that comes with the satisfaction of accomplishing something that was very difficult to achieve."

He continued, "Today's games are created to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible, so that's why the difficulty levels are so low in order to have both experienced and non-experienced gamers be able to play them. Sonic has a very simple control scheme that is capable of doing a lot of advanced things while sprinting at a high speed, that's what makes it a good game in my opinion. I think even moderately raising the difficulty level in the future could work well."

It's been years since we've seen a rivalry as fierce as Nintendo vs. Sega in the 16-bit days. It's an era that brings a huge grin to the faces of most people in this editor's generation. Naka-san admitted to us that he'd sort of like to see Mario and Sonic continue to be adversaries: "Thinking back to the rivalry between Sonic and Mario back in those days brings back some fond memories. It was based on each of them running on different hardware and which one was better, which made for a great rivalry. I would like for Sonic and Mario to keep up that rivalry relationship long into the foreseeable future."

Of course, we all know that's not happening now that Sega's no longer a hardware manufacturer and Sonic's already appeared with Mario in a few games. Naka-san did express his wish to possibly one day breathe new life into Sonic again, or into one of his other fan favorites like Nights. "Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to do so but perhaps at some point in the future if I could come back and contribute, that could be fun and gratifying," he remarked. Are you listening, Sega?

abasm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-18-game-industry-legends-yuji-naka

^Posted? An article on Yuja Naka. They interviewed him on the state of the modern Sonic games and he says that they aren't as fun or as challenging as they used to be. I've quoted the bit on Sonic but if ya wanna read the rest it's in the link.

I don't particularly like the notion that classic Sonic was "all" Yuji Naka, which is often bandied about when his name is mentioned. It is clear however, from his work at Prope, that he hasn't lost his edge as a game designer. (Ivy the Kiwi and Fishing Resort were both fantastic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom