• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHZ Mayor

My boyfriend hates the Bridge Zone music with a passion. But he's indifferent to the Janet Jackson song "Together Again" (since it samples Bridge Zone).

I don't know what to do with him either.

This should be in the mind blown thread.

It was pretty stupid of them to even have that fight theme for night, since you're always getting into them and that music overrides the often cool night themes all the time.

Cool Edge Night

Reminds me of SA-era Knuckles music. On that note, how do you guys feel about the whole "Werehog should've been Knuckles" argument?

Sciz

Reminds me of SA-era Knuckles music. On that note, how do you guys feel about the whole "Werehog should've been Knuckles" argument?

Would've been less stupid on a conceptual level (easy enough to tie the Gaia Temples to the Master Emerald to even give him a reason to be out and about), but the night stages have bigger problems than just the character.

Rikkun

Gravijah, the best MJ song is... um...I'll get back to you on that one.

It's not very good, imo.

The DLC levels basically reuse assets from the original levels and just rearrange them for difficulty. I don't care for them much, as the quality of the levels and designs vary from level to level in each pack... so sometimes you're getting some okay levels, and then you're getting levels that aren't very good.

Actually, Sega1991's reviews for them are pretty good and sum up the experience.
Adabat/Empire City
Apotos/Shamar
Mazuri
Chun-nan
Spagonia
Holoska

So it's a "do what you feel"? I'm still on the fence :\ Too bad SEGA DLCs hardly get discounted on XBLA, I'm still waiting for a discount on Generations DLCs.

No wait.

Thanks for the links anyway Schala :D

ezodagrom

So it's a "do what you feel"? I'm still on the fence :\ Too bad SEGA DLCs hardly get discounted on XBLA, I'm still waiting for a discount on Generations DLCs.

No wait.

Thanks for the links anyway Schala :D
I wouldn't be surprised if Unleashed DLC got discounts on June 23 (Sonic's anniversary).

ezodagrom

That's the anniversary date? That'd also be a perfect day to announce or release the Generations dlc on, if it's even legit.
After playing Phantasy Star Universe for a few years, it's hard to forget Sonic's anniversary day. :p
In PSU the lobbies were decorated with Sonic statues for his anniversary, the Sonic Heroes music would play all day, and people would spam "Happy Birthday Sonic!".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-F9iRwnyc

Occasionally GMs would also appear using Sonic and Tails in the lobbies.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5bQ17yhnLw

I wonder if PSO2 will have something similar to this. :>

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually played with "Sonic" in a mission during the 2009 birthday I believe. He was using the dagger photon art that makes you do the Spinball.
I also had the Grenade Launcher that makes the "SEEEGAAAA!" sound when you fire it, and he responded to it with something I forgot.

I also said "CHAOS CONTROL!" and Tails said "CHAOS CONTROL!" right back.

iavi

After playing Phantasy Star Universe for a few years, it's hard to forget Sonic's anniversary day. :p
In PSU the lobbies were decorated with Sonic statues for his anniversary, the Sonic Heroes music would play all day, and people would spam "Happy Birthday Sonic!".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-F9iRwnyc

Occasionally GMs would also appear using Sonic and Tails in the lobbies.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5bQ17yhnLw

I wonder if PSO2 will have something similar to this. :>

Oh, lol. That's actually pretty neat. As big of a Sega fan I consider myself, I had absolutely no clue as to that date.

Anth0ny

Should we expect a Sonic game announcement at E3? Generations was definitely announced by this time last year.

Don't tell me Episode 2 is our Sonic game for the year

ShadiWulf

Should we expect a Sonic game announcement at E3? Generations was definitely announced by this time last year.

Don't tell me Episode 2 is our Sonic game for the year

Sonic Adventure 2 HD ;p

SEGA said that All-Stars Racing Transformed is the big Sonic game for the year and not to expect anything else.

I'm betting we will see Sonic Adventure 2 HD though, it's iizuka-san's favorite game.

Sonic Adventure has already been released. Plus SEGA is done with physical releases for everything except AAA titles. So, Sonic Adventure 2 would have to be a digital release.

I'm talking about an actual remastered HD collection for PS3/Xbox 360. You know. They did it with God of War, Metroid Prime, etc. How about two remastered titles in one?

EDIT: Also, wouldn't a Sonic Adventure HD collection count as a "Hot IP" for sega?

iavi

Yeah I don't think they'll make that mistake again. What's giving me hope is that Jet Set Radio HD release.

I've heard - on GAF - that Blit Software (the people behind porting taxman's Sonic CD rewrite to PC/Consoles) are doing the grunt work on JSR port. I don't know how well that'll work out (or if it's even true), given the best part of the Retro Engine Sonic CD was the Retro Engine, but I'll take anything other than Backbone. Good lord. Luckily, the confirmed enhancements to JSR already prove tons of promise.

Funny thing; on their site I linked to there, Sega is listed as a partner and a picture of Sonic CD is on the homepage, but nothing Sega is listed in the projects list. Tight lips tell no secrets, lol.

All things said, though; I do believe that Sega learned a few things from all the incredibly positive press/sales they got from the incredible port-job of Sonic CD. I'm pretty confident in thinking that Backbone ports are a thing of the past. Even the latest genesis/master system collections are M2's work.

Sciz

Monthly comic thought roundup time:

Universe #40:

Don't even think about touching these black boxes if you haven't read it yet.

-Snivley's still got that newly-discovered strength of character going at the beginning, which continues to be a refreshing change for the character.

-Orbot's genre awareness is great in the games and is still great here. Wasn't quite sure about how he and Cubot were being written in the initial previews for this arc, but they've turned out beautifully.

-Monkey Khan just can't catch a break.

-Seeing Robotnik outrun something on foot warms my heart.

-Snivley and Regina's mid-fight banter skews a little too expository, but it's the first bit of dialogue that's made me feel like there really is something between them besides plot necessity.

-GET A LOAD OF THIS
--This line, snippets of E.G.G.M.A.N., snooping as usual, it's from the show... Ian's running out of memetic Robotnik lines to slip in.

-Much like Batman, Robotnik is prepared for all possible contingencies. His armor here seems like a variant of the Sonic-smasher from #175, so I can only assume that at this point he's got a model ready for everyone of significance and insignificance in the series.

-Aaaaand the comic swings back around to the Khan/Sally dynamic that got put on ice back in #212. Interesting that Sally either remembers or was supplied with that information.
--Monkey Khan really can't catch a break.

-Well, I didn't see that coming. Regina and Snivley as the co-grandmasters of the lesser-seen human region is an intriguing dynamic. Not least of all since they and Robotnik are both instantly conspiring against each other. But that is, as Robotnik once said, what makes it fun.

-...and I did not see that coming. Wow. The comic's had its share of serious moments over the years, but rarely are they ever so unapologetically dark. Robotnik's done plenty of fairly nasty things before, but this one is so much more personal than the rest, and in particular a really stark reversal from where we were three years ago in the early #200s.

-I suppose this means Cubot and Orbot are going to stick around for a while, on the other hand.

-One of Universe's best arcs on the whole, if only for its wild unpredictability.

-Wait, what happened to Metal Knuckles and Tails? D:

tl;dr: Why aren't you reading Sonic Universe

StH #236:

-A Sonic Says cover? Sure, why not.

Main Story:

-And hot off the heels of Universe #40, we kick off with Robotnik wreaking havoc. It's... a little harder to enjoy it after the last two pages of SU#40.

-Cubot: Lackey, servant, furniture.

-Archie's been billing this as a great jumping-on point, but I'm not sure getting up to five asterisks worth of footnotes on the second page really delivers on that promise.

-I think I brought it up back when the preview pages went out, but the Scourge flashback is a nice touch. It isn't an original line by any means (Have you read The Killing Joke? Go do that.), but you don't often see the hero reflecting on it well after the fact. Especially since Sonic just shrugged it off the first time around and the subject didn't even come up in their next meeting.

-Amy switches from incensed to happy unnervingly fast.

-After so much of councilman Rotor and leather jacket Rotor, it's weird seeing him back in his old duds.

-The artists need to get together and decide whether or not Metal Sally has a mouth. It goes back and forth depending on which one is drawing the issue.

-The prevalence of Egg Prisons lately is also a nice touch.

-Rotor's battle suit is going to backfire so hard somewhere down the line. Not least of all because it can be countered by a stiff breeze knocking off his hat.

-Team Freedom and Team Fighters are kind of dumb names. Then again, this is a series that uses names like Shazamazon with a straight face.
--That said, I've liked the Sonic/Tails/Amy dynamic the few times it's come up in the past, and pushing it to the forefront for a while bodes well for the light, adventurey side of the comic.
---In particular, seeing Sonic and Amy tag team Sally drives home that the status quo has changed more so than anything else Ian's done since the Genesis arc.

-Orbot tends to get the better lines, but that doesn't mean Cubot isn't just as funny.

-It's easy to gloss over, but I love the green bird in the background who's just going to town on an Egg Swat with an axe, of all things.

Backup story:

-Biiiiiig
--And Cream. Well, okay.
---And holy shit, Heavy and Bomb? I guess if Al, Cal, and the Nerbs can manage to come back, they can too, but that's still pretty far out of left field. And as Naugus notes, dangerous. Also interesting is that they're showing back up right when there's a new secret FF team starting up, like the special ops squad they used to be part of.
----Seriously, I like him as king. He's obnoxious, but not dumb.

-Is anyone going to ask why Vanilla is carrying around the Tails Doll? No? You might want to do that.

-"Big! Catch that falling building!" "Okay!" :lol

-And there's Naugus going crazy again. According to future Mogul's account of this time, he's still got two Chaos Emeralds to pick up (presumably from GUN) and an Ixis order to rebuild, so unless Silver's presence changes things, he's not going down quite that easily.

Very happy with the way the comic's playing out lately.

iavi

My fav Sonic OST is the JP Sonic CD track. Hands down. I just finished the game again an hour or two ago and it only reaffirmed that.

Quartz Quadrant - future - is the catchiest thing.

Apparently Iizuka confirmed that the Dimensions rumour is fake.

He might be right, to a point. The thing with the original TSSZ Rumor is that I am pretty sure the guy who gave us that information was in fact totally legit (I am privy to information about the source that I cannot release publicly) - but the way he told it to us, it sounded like a sure deal. He followed up with us later saying that it was more like a pitch for a possible game, and that it had probably not actually been given a full green light as of yet.

So Sonic Dimensions was more than likely worked on by somebody at Sega at one point, but was probably never given a full team and put in to real production.

The same goes for all of the rumblings of a possible Sonic franchise reboot - it was pitched, but who knows if it'll actually come to fruition; that stuff is so far off we won't know until 2013 or 2014 at the soonest.

Regardless of whether or not the rumor ends up being true, though, of course Takashi Iizuka is going to "confirm it to be fake". David Jaffe vehemently denied working on a new Twisted Metal game up until the very moment he climbed in to the driver's seat of Sweet Tooth's ice cream truck and drove it out on stage at Sony's E3 press conference. Guys like that have an agenda, and I don't mean that as something negative or dirty - just that there's a marketing cycle they are beholden to.

ezodagrom

He might be right, to a point. The thing with the original TSSZ Rumor is that I am pretty sure the guy who gave us that information was in fact totally legit (I am privy to information about the source that I cannot release publicly) - but the way he told it to us, it sounded like a sure deal. He followed up with us later saying that it was more like a pitch for a possible game, and that it had probably not actually been given a full green light as of yet.

So Sonic Dimensions was more than likely worked on by somebody at Sega at one point, but was probably never given a full team and put in to real production.

The same goes for all of the rumblings of a possible Sonic franchise reboot - it was pitched, but who knows if it'll actually come to fruition; that stuff is so far off we won't know until 2013 or 2014 at the soonest.

Regardless of whether or not the rumor ends up being true, though, of course Takashi Iizuka is going to "confirm it to be fake". David Jaffe vehemently denied working on a new Twisted Metal game up until the very moment he climbed in to the driver's seat of Sweet Tooth's ice cream truck and drove it out on stage at Sony's E3 press conference. Guys like that have an agenda, and I don't mean that as something negative or dirty - just that there's a marketing cycle they are beholden to.
If the game did exist, most likely Iizuka would say he can't confirm or deny projects that haven't been announced, or something like that.

Malajax

That's the anniversary date? That'd also be a perfect day to announce or release the Generations dlc on, if it's even legit.

I'm really holding out hope for that one. I feel like they're sitting on free money at this point. Just make harder/challenge versions of the original stages at least.

On another note, I had forgotten how completely different the SD and HD versions of Unleashed were. Kinda makes me want to buy the HD version to at least experience the daytime levels. I was robbed with the Wii version.

Ein Bear

Any opinions on those two PSP Sonic Rivals games? They're pretty much the only ones I haven't played, and just realised that I've got a Vita now so can give them a whirl.

iavi

I'm really holding out hope for that one. I feel like they're sitting on free money at this point. Just make harder/challenge versions of the original stages at least.

On another note, I had forgotten how completely different the SD and HD versions of Unleashed were. Kinda makes me want to buy the HD version to at least experience the daytime levels. I was robbed with the Wii version.

Honestly, if they're going to pull an Unleashed with the DLC, I'd almost rather they not waste their time. The concept behind Generations allows for so much more that they're not taking advantage of - or have been slow about doing.

Also, if you're a PC Generations player, the Unleashed daytime level pack is coming in some time. No need to buy a whole separate copy, if that's all you're in for! If not, then definitely. I enjoyed the HD daytime levels a ton. The having to play the night in-between them thing, though. That got old.

Any opinions on those two PSP Sonic Rivals games? They're pretty much the only ones I haven't played, and just realised that I've got a Vita now so can give them a whirl.

I thought both were absolutely horrible - the second being the worst. They felt tacky in all venues - music, controls, visuals.

Sciz

Because I stopped reading Sonic comics when they stopped making the best one.

stc_sonicr59lv.png

I don't know much of anything about StC.

One word: Backbone.

The Super Sonic issue of Sonic the Comic is AWESOME, I think it was a late 90's issue but it had Super Sonic front and centre on the cover and it was the first time I'd ever seen him.

edit: I might be misremembering.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still have to post what I think of 236, 40 and the Sonic Super Special, since I'd bought them a while ago. I'll do that later when I finish writing up this lab report.

I'd recently replayed the HD version because I'd purchased the Wii version. There are some things that the Wii version does much better, and others that the HD version does better. Like, Cool Edge Day and Eggmanland, for example, are much better in the Wii version than the HD version. The battles against Dark Gaia are handled better in the Wii version too.

They do feel really different.

I recently learned that if you game over during the Dark Gaia battle, you have to beat Egg Dragoon again. :lol

Conversely, there's actual tension in a Sonic game now and rings don't become meaningless outside increments of 50.

Ahh, Sonic rings. You weird, flawed little game mechanic, you.

But then sonic also becomes the most cheese platformer of all time, may God have mercy on us all if they brought back the Metropolis Zone enemies with a two hit death set up.

Fuckin' metal grasshopper dudes on Marble Garden Zone poppin' out of nowhere would be the death of us all.

I like that the rings do factor into better ranks in a lot of the recent games, so you don't want to get hit and lose them. In most of the classic games, you get hit a dozen times, so what, grab a few rings and tank your way through the level. I think the only times I actually felt any kind of tension in classic Sonic are either in Bottomless Pit Zone(Wing Fortress by any other name) or the Death Egg after that because I didn't have essentially infinite life to screw-up over and over.

I also think this is a direct lead-in to all the bottomless pits you can't see coming in Sonic Rush and other mediocre Sonic titles. It's the only way to make the player feel any sense of danger(artificial as it is), outside the mild annoyance of "fuck enemy popped out of nowhere, grab some rings and let's keep moving"

The fear of Wing Fortress is very real, on the first time I reached that zone I must have lost more lives there than in any of the previous zones combined, but that's mainly because the design is bloody awful.

Honestly, Sega should've had Dimps at least port Gens 3DS onto Wii, I would've been happy with it, as it's a lot like Unleashed Wii in looks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALofibPYOvE&feature=related

Or they could've redone it to make it in 3D like Unleashed, but with the same stages and whatnot as on the 3DS. I think that would've been manageable, don't you?

Sure Colors is way ahead of Unleashed in graphics, but Unleashed wasn't ugly either.

But I really hope Dimps makes the true successor to Rush for 3DS; ground-up in ideas and themes, they did it with Sonic Advance, they did it with Sonic Rush, they should do the same on 3DS. I hope they don't just make handhelds companions to the console games, at least make one original 3DS Sonic game.

BlackJace

Never played the second one either. I heard the sequel was a bit worse than the original.

Anyways I enjoyed the original a lot actually, and found it to be really competitive. After playing it for a good 25-30 hrs, I put it away for good.

TheOGB

Banned
Universe #40:

Don't even think about touching these black boxes if you haven't read it yet.

-...and I did not see that coming. Wow. The comic's had its share of serious moments over the years, but rarely are they ever so unapologetically dark. Robotnik's done plenty of fairly nasty things before, but this one is so much more personal than the rest, and in particular a really stark reversal from where we were three years ago in the early #200s.
Yeah, holy fucking shit. It was one thing when I saw Snively sitting in the pod, broken, but when I read what Eggman was saying in the next panel, my face went from o_o to O.O Man...

I'd recently replayed the HD version because I'd purchased the Wii version. There are some things that the Wii version does much better, and others that the HD version does better. Like, Cool Edge Day and Eggmanland, for example, are much better in the Wii version than the HD version. The battles against Dark Gaia are handled better in the Wii version too.

They do feel really different.
Saw this years ago, but I think the final Dark Gaia battles are much better combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom