• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't hate the Rush music. It's too good. And don't make me choose a boss theme. It's too hard. :/

(Split between Sonic 2 & Sonic 3+K)

i will accept sonic 2 as an answer. i flip flop between s1 & s2 boss themes.

sonic 2 having the best bonus stage music is not debatable though.
I will accept this as the best answer.

Sonic Triple Trouble's special stage music was fun.

Nothing in Rush comes close to its stage themes, really. Naganuma is excellent as always in that (not as good as JSR, 'course, but still).
Where is your avatar from? It's so cute.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh gosh, he's sniffing the microphone. So cuuuuuute.

That guy is nuts!

Damn right! Sonic 1 MS version has a very solid soundtrack, in fact I like it much more than the actual Sonic 1 music.
My boyfriend hates the Bridge Zone music with a passion. But he's indifferent to the Janet Jackson song "Together Again" (since it samples Bridge Zone).

I don't know what to do with him either.

ezodagrom

Nothing in Rush comes close to its stage themes, really. Naganuma is excellent as always in that (not as good as JSR, 'course, but still).
Dunno why, I just don't like Sonic Rush's stage themes, I especially hate this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhq0IpvyMQk

When it comes to boss themes, the Rush/Rush Adventure themes are not bad, but when it comes to recent Sonic games I like these the most:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMu27EYhjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIxr0RKor2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB0ezFM0Lp4

Gravijah

speaking of, starlight carnival is what i think of when i think of colors. it basically sums up the entire game for me, and is totally my favorite stage.

ezodagrom

Do you like this? Or this? They're the tracks in JSR closest to Rush, if you don't like them chances are you just aren't big on Naganuma's style in general, which is a bummer but can't be helped.
Don't really like or dislike those, but I think tracks like that are not a good fit for Sonic games (like most of the Rush tracks).

I really love the Sonic Adventure DX spindash and jump combo, it allows for some creative shortcuts and it's also great fun, couldn't have got Metal Sonic without it.

Holy balls at Twinkle Park, that wasn't what I expected!
Plus I was wondering if it was possible to take a shortcut in the Twinkle circuit section and of course it is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, that Twinkle Park bit was pretty cool.

I wonder if they can speedrun Unleashed. Er, actually, I wonder if it's possible to speedrun Unleashed. >.>

is it worth playing unleashed for the daytime levels if i love colors/generations? i've only ever played the demo.
The day levels in Unleashed are worth a play, although the levels are sometimes hard to run through.

Expect some super frame dropping in Jungle Joyride and a stupid drift turn near the start of Skyscraper Scamper.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
is it worth playing unleashed for the daytime levels if i love colors/generations? i've only ever played the demo.
Yeah, but you'll run into a point when you have to gather enough medals to open up new levels, most of which are found in the night levels (so as long as you thoroughly explore in the night levels, you'll find most of them; just treat it like Zelda or something). Some of the day levels can be hard, so don't boost a lot. Skyscraper Scamper day is probably the worst one.

Also, the art direction and the music are incredible. Love the presentation in this game, despite the framerate drops.

Were there severe drops in the 360 version? Jungle Joyride turned into a slideshow at certain points on PS3.

Oh neat, theyre doing an Aria of Sorrow run. Guess I'll stick around.

Some of the day levels can be hard, so don't boost a lot. Skyscraper Scamper day is probably the worst one.
This was my favourite stage alongside rooftop run, I never felt there was too much tricky about it myself, lots of grinding if memory serves.

Oh neat, theyre doing an Aria of Sorrow run. Guess I'll stick around.

I just started a replay of Aria two days ago, i'm steering clear of the speedrun since i've forgotten a fair amount of the game so I can keep it slightly fresh.

well i do have a 360 if the framerate is better there.

Nope. To my memory, the PS3 version has an unlocked framerate so sometimes it actually runs at 60fps on the rare occasion

But the framerate dies in the same spot in both games. In its defense, the framerate problems only arise in the last couple of daytime levels, but when the framerate craps up, it does so in chunks of close to a minute.

Skyscraper Scamper was hard, but it does have one of my more favorite 3D Sonic moments (running up the sides of those skyscrapers, so cool!).

And one slowdown point specifically is when you enter the jungle and the camera turns to show robots chasing you. It always slows down right after that, mostly because of the copious amounts of foliage flying past at that moment.

The music for Skyscraper Scamper day is kind of underrated, but I myself underrated the whole soundtrack, I didn't realize how good it was until last year, probably thanks to Sonic Gaf in fact.
I certainly wouldn't have known about Jungle Joyride night because you know, the Werehog theme dominates night stages.

It was pretty stupid of them to even have that fight theme for night, since you're always getting into them and that music overrides the often cool night themes all the time.

Cool Edge Night

Although I ended up not finishing Eggman Land, it did have one of the better themes in the game:

Eggman Land "Day"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This was my favourite stage alongside rooftop run, I never felt there was too much tricky about it myself, lots of grinding if memory serves.
There's the one bs bit in Skyscraper Scamper, but most of why I don't like it is because I don't like how it looks.

...says the girl who lives across the street from a farm, and whose undergraduate university was in the middle of a nature park. :lol

Nope. To my memory, the PS3 version has an unlocked framerate so sometimes it actually runs at 60fps on the rare occasion

But the framerate dies in the same spot in both games. In its defense, the framerate problems only arise in the last couple of daytime levels, but when the framerate craps up, it does so in chunks of close to a minute.
Yeah, the PS3 version's framerate is ok, but when you get close to water or are the Werehog and you're around a lot of foliage or a lot of water, it tends to drop. It's really too bad, since the best bits of the art direction in the game are around the spots where there is a ton of water or foliage!

I certainly wouldn't have known about Jungle Joyride night because you know, the Werehog theme dominates night stages.
I love that theme. I have it on a CD for my car.

MiB3 is supposedly the best one. What the fuck?

I was wondering why the language on stream was so tame, the small child showing up makes that make sense. :lol

Gravijah

Oh, now I feel old. It's been 15 years since I've seen that video. My mom invited me to see Men in Black 3 with her and my little brother tomorrow, so now I might just take her up on that offer. >.>

I wanna know how you guys feel about Summertime.

you should go see it. i definitely want to!

Best song in all the movies, of course

you really want to see it now, dontcha :)

---

I'm half-and-half on just finishing up medal-hunting in Unleashed 360 and finishing it for real.

:( maybe i can get my brother to go with me.

Oh, now I feel old. It's been 15 years since I've seen that video. My mom invited me to see Men in Black 3 with her and my little brother tomorrow, so now I might just take her up on that offer. >.>

I wanna know how you guys feel about Summertime.

That will forever be my jam. Will even referenced Summertime in one of his songs on the Lost & Found album.

Ever since Summertime/they ain't like none of mine
Even though the fans went out and bought enough/Guess they think that Will ain't hard enough

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah, the best MJ song is... um...I'll get back to you on that one.

Still haven't seen MiB2
It's not very good, imo.

About Unleashed.. should I get the DLC levels? Are they any good?
The DLC levels basically reuse assets from the original levels and just rearrange them for difficulty. I don't care for them much, as the quality of the levels and designs vary from level to level in each pack... so sometimes you're getting some okay levels, and then you're getting levels that aren't very good.

Actually, Sega1991's reviews for them are pretty good and sum up the experience.
Adabat/Empire City
Apotos/Shamar
Mazuri
Chun-nan
Spagonia
Holoska

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom