• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any archive of the SDA run through SA DX yesterday? I don't see one on their site or Twitch.TV account. Or does the latter usually take a day or two before it shows up? (uStream is pretty immediate about it, in my experience anyway.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... I was looking up Sega1991's glitch video for something, and the top/most recent comment confounds me, and his responses are hilarious. I'm not quoting the whole thing because I'm sure it'll go somewhere anyway, but gosh, it makes me smile.

Some YouTube Dude said:
2. Sonic 06' was never finished, in fact it was rushed towards the end so maybe that final clip was something they couldn't bother to get done with and just left it like it was.
Why the hell does this absolve the game of any bad stigma attached to it? In fact, that makes it even worse because they rushed it out and charged full-price for it! Stuff like that is inexcusable.

Same YouTube Dude said:
no one gives enough credit for this game. All people ever do is say it's a bad game because of the glitches.
Aha, that's not all they bash it for. >.>

I was playing Eggmanland yesterday, actually. I'd almost forgotten how pissed off that place makes me (no).

I ended up getting up to the bit with bottomless pit and you have to platform your way up to the top? It's the one with the QTE sequence where if you fail it, you don't actually die, but if you're successful, you net and extra life. Mis-timed a jump and I died for the first time. That was pretty nice, because I usually die in the stupid Werehog boiler room part or the really really really stupid roller coaster bit and I hate it.

Eggmanland HD is really, uh, masochistic. At least the SD version is better, and divides all of the stages up instead of having it as one huge endurance run.

D'aw, it's been removed.

Saw this years ago, but I think the final Dark Gaia battles are much better combined.
This would have been better. Longer, but better... and it makes more sense.

I did think the Wii version of the Perfect Dark Gaia fight might have been a little harder than the HD version, but I should go back and play through that bit to see if that's the case.

PRESS THIS BUTTON 60 TIMES.

Lijik

Eggmanland HD is really, uh, masochistic. At least the SD version is better, and divides all of the stages up instead of having it as one huge endurance run. .

Designwise, a lot of Eggmanland HD feels sound to me on paper (aside from the pink doors shit. Thats poor design), but the bad camera in some of the werehog rooms and having to do it all at once makes it super painful.

ShadiWulf

D'aw, it's been removed.

awww, the classic "morans" took it down

i didn't save it, cause i didnt think they would take it down, but i still got a screen of the description, cause i posted it up on twitter, lol and yeah.. just clicked the thumbnail, sadly video won't play

eSW3h.png

lol the video started with the classic SEGA noise, but instead of the SEGA logo, it had "FAGGOTS" in SEGA font.

and it was basically a parody of the Sonic 4 trailer

and at the end, it had sonic1's voice saying "LET'S START THIS SHIT!"

i won't lie, lol, i'm not a fan of ballish channel at all, but i won't lie, this video was entertaining ;p hopefully they put it back up soon

Kokonoe

Banned
Why the hell does this absolve the game of any bad stigma attached to it? In fact, that makes it even worse because they rushed it out and charged full-price for it! Stuff like that is inexcusable.

If this is actually true, Microsoft is a major part of it.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?393691-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-(2006)-I-hope-you-all-know-this
The game itself was supposed to be released in late 2007. However Microsoft threatened SEGA and Sonic Team to finish the game by the holidays of 2006 or they would exterminate all future Microsoft-SEGA contracts. That's what makes the game bad. It was terribly rushed. And then look at the game in 2007 to take Sonic the Hedgehog's (supposed) place...Sonic and the Secret Rings...

The point is, it's not SEGA's nor Sonic Team's fault. It's Microsoft's. Not sure about what was with Sony. The game could've been a lot better on the PS3 since there was no rush with Sony.

I didn't have much fun playing the Egg Dragoon/Perfect Dark Gia battle (I stocked up on 67 lives beforehand and only had 3 by the end) but holy mother of crap, was it epic as hell. It's probably the most ambitious final battle in the franchise. Tumbling down to the Earth's core battling Eggman, piloting a colossus made of fucking temples, dodging fireballs, running as Sonic through the temples, playing as Super Sonic disabling the shield as Chip fights Dark Gia in the background... quite the ride. Some better design and less cheapness could have really helped this fight though.

OMG Aero

I really like the idea of Eggmanland but there are just so many badly executed ideas in it that stop it from being a good level.

First and foremost that pink wall. I think this is the first part in the game where the enemies are actually infinite so unless you make the observation that they are spawning differently to normal like Kyle does in the LP and then realise what that means, you have no reason so far to assume that killing all the enemies won't open the laser gate. An infinite enemy room where you have to flip a switch to get out of isn't a problem though the problem is that they hid the switch behind a pink wall, the same shade of pink that is used for impassable laser gates and spinning blades so the player has absolutely no way of knowing that they even can break it down. Most of the time people only work out what to do in that room by either spending so long in the room they realise there are infinite enemies or if they or an enemy hit the wall and make a crack by luck. Really, they could have totally fixed that problem by either making the wall a different colour or making Chip point out the enemy spawners and suggest another way out after killing some of them.

The second major problem I see most people complain about is the series of lava rooms as the werehog, and the problem with those rooms is completely the camera. Again, another problem that could have an easy fix if they just gave you the slow rotating camera control you sometimes have for the entire room instead of their own camera movements and you only having the ability to jerkily pan the camera. Pretty much all of the jumps and tightrope sections would be easy if you could just move the camera on your own to confirm your landing or keep it perfectly still for the tightrope sections instead of the stupid system they have that does a massive camera move whenever you get near a corner which often leads to you walking off because you don't expect the move and it changes which way you are walking.
There are other problems with Eggmanland but if they just fixed those two areas most of the complaints about the level would be gone, it would even help mitigate the complaints about it being too long since most people spend too much time in those areas.
Is there any archive of the SDA run through SA DX yesterday? I don't see one on their site or Twitch.TV account. Or does the latter usually take a day or two before it shows up? (uStream is pretty immediate about it, in my experience anyway.)
I'm not sure if you're still looking for it, but I found a link to the SA DX run and also their Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 runs if anyone is interested in them.

Until I actually see this sourced somewhere that isn't a forum post, it's complete bullshit. I get a ton of comments about that on my dumb glitch video and whenever I press them to come up with an actual news source it's always "I FORGOT WHERE I READ IT"

Microsoft had very little vested interest in Sonic 2006. It was a multiplatform game; why would they push Sega to release it? To my knowledge, they didn't have an exclusivity contract with Sega, either; the reason the Playstation 3 version was pushed back to December or January was because the game was an unfinished piece of shit and the Playstation 3 was hard to get a handle on, seeing as it had just launched the day after Sonic 2006 hit store shelves.

There's already an example of Microsoft "giving a shit" about a game, and that was Gears of War, which launched a week before Sonic. Compare the level of promotion Gears got to what Sonic had and it's pretty obvious Microsoft didn't care about another crummy Sonic game.

Kokonoe

Banned
Until I actually see this sourced somewhere that isn't a forum post, it's complete bullshit. I get a ton of comments about that on my dumb glitch video and whenever I press them to come up with an actual news source it's always "I FORGOT WHERE I READ IT"

Microsoft had very little vested interest in Sonic 2006. It was a multiplatform game; why would they push Sega to release it? To my knowledge, they didn't have an exclusivity contract with Sega, either; the reason the Playstation 3 version was pushed back to December or January was because the game was an unfinished piece of shit and the Playstation 3 was hard to get a handle on, seeing as it had just launched the day after Sonic 2006 hit store shelves.

There's already an example of Microsoft "giving a shit" about a game, and that was Gears of War, which launched a week before Sonic. Compare the level of promotion Gears got to what Sonic had and it's pretty obvious Microsoft didn't care about another crummy Sonic game.
I have this issue with the Sonic SEGA Forum community a lot. They tend to not leave any sources so I go through other means to find out if one actually exists. Luckily enough, I found out Sonic Generations is indeed canon when someone posted Ruby's original response.

This is not a spinoff, and is most definitely canon. (As canon as time travel can be, anyway!)

Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic are very much the same hedgehog, just from different points in time. Same goes for Modern and Classic Tails.

I don't actually believe any of this, though. I don't tend to believe rumors, although I am open the possibility that they could actually be true.

-

Went ahead and took some screenshots of the PSO items in SA2.

This thread motivated me to play Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis. First Sonic game in a looong time. Since Adventure launched. That game was legitimately good. Honestly, the platforming was no joke.

Ein Bear

I wound up getting Sonic Rivals in the end, just played through the Sonic story.

It's actually pretty decent, though it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on (the digital manual is hilariously useless). It's kind of what I always figured Sonic X-Treme would have turned out like.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for it, but I found a link to the SA DX run and also their Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 runs if anyone is interested in them.

I figured I just hadn't waited long enough and they'd show up eventually. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Not necessarily Sonic related, but Arkedo got feedback from Iizuka-san on Project Hell Yeah! he gave them tips on physics

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38281746&postcount=127

Oh, a Sonic standby of old gave them tips? It's great to hear Naka's helping them, he was a master of 2D physics program- wait.

Iizuka-san
tips on physics

Iizuka said:
but you should pay attention to what happens when you’re jumping, the stop and go, the inertia you have when you’re jumping on platforms.

HE'S DOING IT ON PURPOSE. >:|

ezodagrom

HE'S DOING IT ON PURPOSE. >:|
Well, Sonic in both Sonic Colours (Wii) and Generations had some momentum in his movement (unlike Sonic 4 Episode 1), Sonic's movement felt more natural in those Sonic Team games than S4Ep1 (even though in the 3D sections of Colours Sonic's movement was too sensitive), which is what makes me think that the blame for Episode 1 physics should be put mostly, or even only on Dimps (well, the Rush series also had somewhat similar no momentum physics, so Ep1 was not Dimps first game like that).

RagnarokX

Any beach-themed zone/stage I assume.

Nah, these crappy themed-monopoly boards are really really lazy. In Nintendo Monopoly they used characters for the properties, Mario and Luigi being Boardwalk and Park Place. They'll do the same thing here since they got plenty of friends to fill up space.

Well, Sonic in both Sonic Colours (Wii) and Generations had some momentum in his movement (unlike Sonic 4 Episode 1), Sonic's movement felt more natural in those Sonic Team games than S4Ep1 (even though in the 3D sections of Colours Sonic's movement was too sensitive), which is what makes me think that the blame for Episode 1 physics should be put mostly, or even only on Dimps (well, the Rush series also had somewhat similar no momentum physics, so Ep1 was not Dimps first game like that).

I think I've gone through this argument before, with someone else, the upshot of is that I don't feel it appropriate to selectively credit him for certain entries in the series, when he frames himself as overseeing the entire series.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not necessarily Sonic related, but Arkedo got feedback from Iizuka-san on Project Hell Yeah! he gave them tips on physics

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38281746&postcount=127
Oh lord, I don't have enough laughing smilies for this. :lol

And that Sonic 4: Episode II trailer was astoundingly well... done. I think I'm impressed? What he's implying about the level design isn't off-the-mark.

I didn't have much fun playing the Egg Dragoon/Perfect Dark Gia battle (I stocked up on 67 lives beforehand and only had 3 by the end) but holy mother of crap, was it epic as hell. It's probably the most ambitious final battle in the franchise. Tumbling down to the Earth's core battling Eggman, piloting a colossus made of fucking temples, dodging fireballs, running as Sonic through the temples, playing as Super Sonic disabling the shield as Chip fights Dark Gia in the background... quite the ride. Some better design and less cheapness could have really helped this fight though.
I played through this today, and the Dark Gaia bit (like, before the "Perfect/Super Sonic" phase) was so dodgy. Everything about the Dark Gaia/Perfect Dark Gaia fight sounds like a really fantastic formula on paper, but then it turns out to be a little messy and you end up losing a ton of lives because of it. You have a time limit, a bunch of tentacles in your way, and fireballs coming at your face, so essentially, your first few runs are practice runs to get used to it. The first two are easy, but the last one is difficult since it's lengthy, tentacles/fireballs everywhere, and the shortcuts don't really seem to matter much. It's really damn cheap.

The Perfect Dark Gaia fight is something I don't have much issues with since it's pretty straightforward. The Wii version of that fight is better than the HD one, though, since you have more of a hands-on approach to it.

Everything about that fight was a good idea, right down to the last bit which felt like a behind-the-back version of Doomsday. The execution simply wasn't very good. But hey. At least that boss fight has a huge leg-up on the Sonic Generations final boss.

And Sonic Unleashed's ending makes me tear up. I don't think Chip sucks. I don't think he's a bad mascot. But maybe it's because I played the last leg of the game in Japanese out of curiosity and didn't switch it back, I don't know. I thought his "SOOOOOONIIIIIC" in English was cute. And he
turns into a playable Voltron made all out of temples

Pretty much all of the jumps and tightrope sections would be easy if you could just move the camera on your own to confirm your landing or keep it perfectly still for the tightrope sections instead of the stupid system they have that does a massive camera move whenever you get near a corner which often leads to you walking off because you don't expect the move and it changes which way you are walking.
So many deaths just because of this. Going through Eggmanland enough times will get you used to when the camera's supposed to pan, but you're going through those areas so slowly. Those entire areas just feel like a drag and super-lengthy because you're moving so slow to try to make your movements as accurate and precise as possible so you don't fall into the pit. That camera pan is super-cheap.

Also, I think the enemies get a health/power spike in Eggmanland as well. I've noticed Kyle try to pull off some heavy-duty combos and he just doesn't have enough time to execute them since all of the enemies end up ganging up on him.

Well just beat the final boss with the seven emeralds.

Kind of meh...maybe I'll shoot for some cheevos
That was generally the overall impression in the thread. What'd you think of it compared to Episode I?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As long as you're writing up giant posts...
I'm in the middle of Mega Man and just finished off Sailor Moon. Then I'll get to the Sonic Super Special Magazine since I don't think anyone else seems to have read it.

Edit: Regarding the Sonic Super Special Magazine bit about Sonic 4: Episode II, it's 5 pages long. Basically,
it starts off around the ending bit of the boss fight from Episode I, and then Sonic meets up with Tails back on the ground. Sonic reminisces a bit about Metal Sonic when Tails mentions that Little Planet's about to make "its annual return". He mentions that it's a shame that it got busted up on Stardust Speedway and wonders if should a rematch occur, who would be the victor since their speeds are well-matched. Animals show up and they're worried, so Sonic concludes that Eggman's up to his dirty tricks again as the first game was just the beginning. Tails tags along because he says he doesn't want to miss another adventure. Meanwhile at Eggman's HQ, Eggman says that he wants more animals to manufacture into badniks. He's also telling Metal Sonic to pick himself up and dust himself off, because Sonic's a pain in the ass.
The art and inks for Metal Sonic are really good here.

Actually, the art in general isn't bad. Sonic 25 is included, so we get to see Classic Amy and Orange/Yellow Tails again. Hooray. Or something. I don't think the magazine is a waste since it has some issues in here that I haven't read before (ex: Sonic 213, 214 and 176). The Episode II primer isn't much of a primer, as it just summarizes the events of Episode I in three short paragraphs/sentences.

The next Super Sonic Special is supposed to be a 25 Years Later compilation issue. :lol

Sciz

I'd forgotten all about the North American dub of the Layton movie.

Actually, the art in general isn't bad. Sonic 25 is included, so we get to see Classic Amy and Orange/Yellow Tails again. Hooray. Or something.
There're a few issues from around that time that were penciled by Spaz, #25 included. He hadn't quite found his groove yet, but the difference between his work and everyone else who was drawing the book at the time is plain as day.

The next Super Sonic Special is supposed to be a 25 Years Later compilation issue. :lol
Burn it with fire.

The only upside to this is that both books are currently far too busy with the actual plot to waste any more time on this continuity for the foreseeable future.

TheOGB

Banned
Well I honestly didn't believe it, or maybe I didn't want to believe it, but Sonic Unleashed has just broken me--MUCH more than 06 could have dreamed to.

I have been in Arid Sands Night getting my ass handed to me in the same spot by flaming wizards and goddamn bees--RED GODDAMN BEES, DAMMIT-- for over 2 hours (this is also my 4th try at the level in the past 4 days or so). If the confrontation near the stairs didn't kill me, it would have been the endless fight on the roof. I was at the end of my wit. I tried everything and nearly succeeded... or so I thought.

But it took me all that time to realize that I didn't need to be on that goddamned roof at all. The final statue halting my progress was in the first fucking room. Unbelievable. This is the worst fucking thing in the Sonic franchise I've encountered. Everything in 06 could at least be laughed off, but this... this was heartbreaking. I legitimately almost cried when I picked that statue up.

I am so fucking done with this stretchy-armed blue bastard and all the goddamn bees, flaming wizards, and poorly-executed bullshit that came with him.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well I honestly didn't believe it, or maybe I didn't want to believe it, but Sonic Unleashed has just broken me--MUCH more than 06 could have dreamed to.

I have been in Arid Sands Night getting my ass handed to me in the same spot by flaming wizards and goddamn bees--RED GODDAMN BEES, DAMMIT-- for over 2 hours (this is also my 4th try at the level in the past 4 days or so). If the confrontation near the stairs didn't kill me, it would have been the endless fight on the roof. I was at the end of my wit. I tried everything and nearly succeeded... or so I thought.

But it took me all that time to realize that I didn't need to be on that goddamned roof at all. The final statue halting my progress was in the first fucking room. Unbelievable. This is the worst fucking thing in the Sonic franchise I've encountered. Everything in 06 could at least be laughed off, but this... this was heartbreaking. I legitimately almost cried when I picked that statue up.

I am so fucking done with this stretchy-armed blue bastard and all the goddamn bees, flaming wizards, and poorly-executed bullshit that came with him.

Arid Sands Night is just terrible. I share your views on this subject as I posted a few pages back with my dislike of it. I'm going to write a review for Unleashed when I'm done with it myself. I see people saying it's better than Sonic Generations for "content". Just. No.

Day Time stages are okay, but one good mechanic wrapped around horrible mechanics a good game does not make.

TheOGB

Banned

I just got a B rank.

No pic nor gif nor emoticon can accurately display how full of fuck my mind is right now.

EuroMIX

Sometimes I'm glad that I was stuck with the inferior Wii version. As fun as some aspects of the HD versions look, the precarious platforming like the tightrope sections and the tedious medal collecting just looks painful.

Pietepiet

Sometimes I'm glad that I was stuck with the inferior Wii version. As fun as some aspects of the HD versions look, the precarious platforming like the tightrope sections and the tedious medal collecting just looks painful.

Nothing from the HD version is as bad as the insane Sonic:Werehog ratio in the Wii version. It really wasn't worth playing through 3 or 4 nighttime stages to get to another 2 minute daytime stage..

Nothing from the HD version is as bad as the insane Sonic:Werehog ratio in the Wii version. It really wasn't worth playing through 3 or 4 nighttime stages to get to another 2 minute daytime stage..

The ratio isn't any worse than the HD version. It just that the Wii version broke the Werehog levels into smaller chunks. The smaller levels were nicer since it didn't take 10-20 minutes to beat each part, though the levels add up to be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom