• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

The latest Coming Soon Major Nelson post mentioned Avatar stuff based on Sonic Adventure 2. Would they make Avatar stuff for a game not coming out? DUN DUN DUN

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The latest Coming Soon Major Nelson post mentioned Avatar stuff based on Sonic Adventure 2. Would they make Avatar stuff for a game not coming out? DUN DUN DUN
I want Sonic Adventure 2...

I think that was the only game where I legitimately liked Shadow a little.

There're a few issues from around that time that were penciled by Spaz, #25 included. He hadn't quite found his groove yet, but the difference between his work and everyone else who was drawing the book at the time is plain as day.
Yeah, the pencilling is really good now that I'm looking at it years later. The inks, though, are kind of weird. And I guess they were a little off until they found the appropriate colours for everyone.

I finished 236 last night so I'll get to SU 40 later today.

Burn it with fire.

The only upside to this is that both books are currently far too busy with the actual plot to waste any more time on this continuity for the foreseeable future.
The SU compilation book thing I got for the Years Later issues was, ah, interesting. Nah, it's laughable. Like, I can see how people can like it, and I'm sure there are those who do like it, but they're kind of lame. Was it them trying to fix up the plot or something?

I have been in Arid Sands Night getting my ass handed to me in the same spot by flaming wizards and goddamn bees--RED GODDAMN BEES, DAMMIT-- for over 2 hours (this is also my 4th try at the level in the past 4 days or so). If the confrontation near the stairs didn't kill me, it would have been the endless fight on the roof. I was at the end of my wit. I tried everything and nearly succeeded... or so I thought.
I was having a shitty morning, but for some reason this post made me smile a bit. It's the prose, really.
KuGsj.gif
Thanks.

That's one of the worst night stages. Not just because of BEES, but because they introduced the "put the fire out on the enemy and then you can attack it" bit. It slows down the battles a lot, and makes you feel like you're just wasting time. Too bad it can't be like Chun-nan Night where you can go to this one part and demolish the big enemies and its lackeys by throwing an electric thingy in the water close to the enemies. That was cool.

I remember going onto the same roof and I think the only reward up there might've been a medal? All that nonsense for a damn medal. :lol

...Have fun with Eggmanland and Adabat. Adabat has bees too. Eggmanland is simply hilarious.

Yeah, Ian Flynn came in to the Sonic comic squarely in the middle of Ken and Karl's "25 Years Later" nonsense so he kind of had to keep going with it for a while.

Does anyone here actually know what is going on 'story' wise with sonic 4 ep 2? I keep seeing people talk about metal sonic being revived from mobius and flying to earth but that's not right at all.

Spoilers in case someone cares :p

In ep1 Metal sonic is revived by eggman from little planet which somehow is still there, flies back to the main planet sonic lives on and over the course of the levels in ep2 you can see death egg mk 2 being built around little planet, increasing in stages every other zone.

I know this probably means shit all but is not saving little planet canon now? when you think about it metal sonic would have been lost in outer space when the planet is free'd from it's chains.

Also if anyone wants a refresh on what SA2 was like I did a play through of the HERO side of things a few weeks back on twitch.

Levyne

Banned
Does anyone here actually know what is going on 'story' wise with sonic 4 ep 2? I keep seeing people talk about metal sonic being revived from mobius and flying to earth but that's not right at all.

Spoilers in case someone cares :p

In ep1 Metal sonic is revived by eggman from little planet which somehow is still there, flies back to the main planet sonic lives on and over the course of the levels in ep2 you can see death egg mk 2 being built around little planet, increasing in stages every other zone.

I know this probably means shit all but is not saving little planet canon now? when you think about it metal sonic would have been lost in outer space when the planet is free'd from it's chains.

Also if anyone wants a refresh on what SA2 was like I did a play through of the HERO side of things a few weeks back on twitch.

Isn't it something like Episode 1 -> Sonic CD -> Episode 2? Or did I make that up?

Also very random and I really don't care, but is the "ending" of Sonic Heroes with the part about Shadow
clones? Copies?
ever brought up again? Not even Shadow the Hedgehog touches that I don't recall.

So glad that starting with Unleashed they cut the crap for "stories".

ezodagrom

Isn't it something like Episode 1 -> Sonic CD -> Episode 2? Or did I make that up?

Also very random and I really don't care, but is the "ending" of Sonic Heroes with the part about Shadow
clones? Copies?
ever brought up again? Not even Shadow the Hedgehog touches that I don't recall.

So glad that starting with Unleashed they cut the crap for "stories".
It's more like this, Sonic CD took place at some unknown time during the classics (possibly between Sonic 1 and 2), some time after Sonic 3 & Knuckles it's Episode 1, and after that is Episode 2.

About the Shadow
copies
, it's been a really long time since I played Shadow the Hedgehog, but I think I remember them appearing there.

EuroMIX

clones? Copies?

Actually it does. They are androids Robotnik created. At least one or two endings have Shadow believe himself to be one of them.

I want Sonic Adventure 2...

I think that was the only game where I legitimately liked Shadow a little.
Honestly, Shadow was actually legitimately badass in SA2. It's when he came back in Heroes in Sega's quest for more money that he did a little dainty pirouette over the shark pool. He died. He has no reason to exist anymore - hell, his self-titled game removed what little angst he had left (SA2 removed his "revenge for Maria" thing by the end, Shadow removed his "oh God am I a clone or an alien or an android or a wild Ditto aaaagh"). His role in 2K6 just showed they no longer have any idea where to go with him - I guess him being a GUN mercenary is kind of cool, but not cool enough to justify his inclusion into too many stories.

Who even knows about Sonic 4 Ep 2's plot. Metal Sonic gets revived in Stardust Speedway Bad Future, too, suggesting maybe Sonic didn't make a good future. Like somebody else said, that was probably just because those were assets left over from Generations, but still.

I think the setup for Episode 2 says it's been a year since Sonic CD so I guess its implied it took Metal Sonic 12 months to work through all of Episode 1? I think this is thinking harder about it than they did.

As for
copies
in Shadow the Hedgehog...

http://i.imgur.com/M3W8j.jpg http://i.imgur.com/EpldE.jpg

I think the implication was that Eggman was going to use them as his new army? I never bothered to full-clear Shadow, so I don't know if they're ever brought up after this scene, but I don't think they are. So it's just kind of a "Oh by the way I'm going to do this thing but it'll never ever be relevant ever again." thing.

EuroMIX

His role in 2K6 just showed they no longer have any idea where to go with him - I guess him being a GUN mercenary is kind of cool, but not cool enough to justify his inclusion into too many stories.

Actually his story is probably my favourite one in 06. That's not saying much though.

Sciz

The SU compilation book thing I got for the Years Later issues was, ah, interesting. Nah, it's laughable. Like, I can see how people can like it, and I'm sure there are those who do like it, but they're kind of lame. Was it them trying to fix up the plot or something?
The original year-long M25YL ended on an awful note (and was in general a somewhat different flavor of stupid from what Ian came up with), so one of the first things Ian did was spend a couple issues tying up the loose ends. The SU arc ties up the loose ends from that, presumably just due to how inexplicably popular the continuity is.

Uh... hm. Curious. Thumbing through the M30YL issues to remind myself exactly how it goes and there's an interesting line buried in there.

"You do not remember the Ixis Resurgence or the Elemental War?"

At the time, that was just a throwback gag. But now the three elemental wizards that comprise Naugus are vying for control, and future Mogul referred to the current time as the resurgence of the Ixis. If the quote up there still ties into it, we're going to see Tikal and Chaos back in the mix sooner than later. They just abruptly warped back to their home zone at the end of the SA arc, which is exactly the sort of dangling thread Ian loves to pull on.

TheOGB

Banned
...Have fun with Eggmanland and Adabat. Adabat has bees too. Eggmanland is simply hilarious.
Oh yes, I was up for two more hours having fun with those levels. Adabat Night actually wasn't much trouble (ahem, not TOO much); I was more frustrated with the ghost mission, heh. Adabat Day, though... My 360 was not ready for all that blast processing. The boss also wasn't bad, I just did not like it.

Started Eggmanland. Did not finish Eggmanland. That is all.

ShadiWulf

Sonic Adventure 2 HD will break Sonic sales charts, will be the best selling Sonic game ever, and SEGA japan will green light Sonic Adventure 3 for Iizuka and he will make sure 25th anniversary is one to remember. No longer will classic morans like mariotehplumber matter, Sonic will once again be dark and edgy with deep story and 3D gameplay, under the guidance of Iizuka-san.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XXQpPZfbsA

lol at the comments on this video

balishse editing skills are superior. you wouldn't be able to last without his incredible talent
supersonicdrawer 6 hours ago

Yes I could and did I say I made this no so don't be a jackass or your blocked.
mariotehplumber in reply to supersonicdrawer 2 hours ago

Getting pretty close to blocking your modern ass so quit it if you want to be able to comment.
mariotehplumber in reply to 77videogameplayer 20 hours ago

How about you don't tell me how to make videos and I care less if your a hater I can just block you. You not my mom.
mariotehplumber

BlackJace

If an SA2 port does have online multiplayer, I wonder if many people will get into it. Back in the day it was pretty competitive between my friends and I.

And would Metal Sonic still be broken?
Dat Black Shield

Levyne

Banned
Just got the cheevos in Episode 2.

I wanted to go back and finish up in Episode 1 but by data was lost, don't want to suffer from scratch

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Ian Flynn came in to the Sonic comic squarely in the middle of Ken and Karl's "25 Years Later" nonsense so he kind of had to keep going with it for a while.
Oh. Ew. :/ It seems like something Ken would go through with. Doesn't Ken really dislike Ian's writing or am I mistaken? I remember reading that somewhere once.

The SU arc ties up the loose ends from that, presumably just due to how inexplicably popular the continuity is.
Hold on... it was popular? I almost want to get the next SSSM to see how bad the original concept was. And your bit in spoiler tags sounds plausible. It'd go along nicely with current developments in an attempt to bring things full-circle.

Started Eggmanland. Did not finish Eggmanland. That is all.
I wonder if you'll ever finish Eggmanland. No, scratch that. Waiting for your thoughts for the final battle. Stock up on lives cuz you'll need 'em for both Eggmanland and the final battle.

No more, "This is the ultimate---" or "I'll use your--CHAOS CONTROL"?
But that's the best part! D:

TheOGB

Banned
I wonder if you'll ever finish Eggmanland. No, scratch that. Waiting for your thoughts for the final battle. Stock up on lives cuz you'll need 'em for both Eggmanland and the final battle.
I just did, actually. Seconds ago, in fact. :T

Eggmanland is easily the most diabolical thing Eggman has ever done/created.

As a matter of fact, the scope and story of this game is actually quite respectable. This shit is epic. The only thing letting it down is the actual game itself. :/

TheOGB

Banned
Buying both SA2HD and JSRHD should unlock Sonic and Shadow, both in cel-shaded versions of their Riders series appearances, in Jet Set Radio
for free

Egg Dragoon is my bitch, A rank on the first try, no lives lost

Sciz

Hold on... it was popular? I almost want to get the next SSSM to see how bad the original concept was. And your bit in spoiler tags sounds plausible. It'd go along nicely with current developments in an attempt to bring things full-circle.
The only reason Silver ever made it into continuity is because people wouldn't stop asking about him, and Shadow got the first arc in SU for similar reasons. Some people really like their fanfic-grade characters and characterization.

I'd say the original M25YL arc is why the book got a reputation for being a soap opera, except that the 100s had already long since earned it one anyway. There's a severe amount of nothing going on in it despite all the pages it got. Mostly talking and teen angst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom