• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I went back to Sonic Colors for ds lately, and even though sying anything good about Dimps pains me greatly (Tales fan) I thi k I like this version better than the Wii version. I felt that the Wii's 2d segments weren't that great, but the too few 3d sections shined, but the ds version just feels more like a great 2d sonic game.

Sonic Colors is surprisingly decent for a Dimps Sonic Game. I also prefer it over the Wii version.

While Colours 3D sections were either too brief or automated, the same can't be said about Generation. Most SA2 Sonic/Shadow stages were more linear than alot of the 3D sections in Generations.

Saying that, for some reason I still want to see and play a PC version of SA2...
They were more linear I guess..just that recent sonic titles make me feel like Im not playing the game at all opposed to watching it atleast in SA2 you can move wherever..and btw SA is my favorite 3D sonic. I guess I was hoping for sonic to be like that this gen than all this automatic stuff. The games are beautiful they are fast and great games just that SA and SA2 left an impression of sonic that I though was gonna carry to this gen. Btw I dont believe in sonic 06 so you guys can say whatever about that lol..

Levyne

Banned
Generations 3D felt slower than Unleashed or even Colors. That was a good thing. In Unleashed especially I felt like a lot of it was "on-rails" but did not feel the same way about Generations at all.

SA2 is like 60% grinding rails

Which is why SA1 is superior.

Once they play anything involving Tails/Eggman/Knuckles/Rouge they'll remember how frustrating and stupid parts of that game were.

fixed

And Sonic Unleashed's ending makes me tear up. I don't think Chip sucks. I don't think he's a bad mascot. But maybe it's because I played the last leg of the game in Japanese out of curiosity and didn't switch it back, I don't know. I thought his "SOOOOOONIIIIIC" in English was cute. And he
turns into a playable Voltron made all out of temples

The closest the franchise has come to moving me is Tails' story and Gamma's story in SA. Seeing Tails fend for himself in the end without Sonic was really nice, and his cheesy theme song finally clicked with everything. Then Gamma's ending, just perfect. It's still a clunky as fuck cutscene, but no words are necessary.

Then there was the $67.00 + tax spent on 2k6, but that moved me in a different way.

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic Unleashed's story actually wasn't bad with the whole adventure going with it. Again, it seemed like such a large, nice, refreshing package (way moreso after 06). If the actual levels had Colors/Generations levels of polish it'd probably be the best Sonic game ever.

Then the games after Unleashed would be even better than Colors and Generations.

BUT ALAS, HERE WE ARE WITH FUCKING EGGMANLAND AND SHAMAR NIGHT, FUCK

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aaaahhh, now I'm all done with that Suikoden PSP game now that I got the True Ending. It's decent. You guys should ge--... nevermind, Konami probably won't announce a localization because they're Konami and schedule pre-recorded conferences at stoopid times.

The closest the franchise has come to moving me is Tails' story and Gamma's story in SA. Seeing Tails fend for himself in the end without Sonic was really nice, and his cheesy theme song finally clicked with everything. Then Gamma's ending, just perfect. It's still a clunky as fuck cutscene, but no words are necessary.
I think it isn't so much as being moving as it is that I'm pretty sad that the game ended. Like, I tear up at the end of (a lot of) games that I really like even though the ending isn't sad, so it's more to do with "oh shit, I dumped so many hours into this game's world and I'm going to miss it". "Dear My Friend" just ended up clicking with me a lot, and elevated my "feel good" feelings towards the game in general. I thought Chip was a decent character and I don't get the dislike towards him since he isn't effing Omochao blurting out stuff you could figure out on your own.

Then there was the $67.00 + tax spent on 2k6, but that moved me in a different way.
Oh, oh yes. That game was truly moving. Every single cutscene brought tears to my eyes.

Sonic Unleashed's story actually wasn't bad with the whole adventure going with it. Again, it seemed like such a large, nice, refreshing package (way moreso after 06). If the actual levels had Colors/Generations levels of polish it'd probably be the best Sonic game ever.

BUT ALAS, HERE WE ARE WITH FUCKING EGGMANLAND AND SHAMAR NIGHT, FUCK
KuGsj.gif

I would definitely take another Sonic World Adventure game with more polish, since it was pretty decent on its own. It ended up going a little crazy with Shamar Night and Eggmanland, but I want to see what they could do with the concept now that they know how to deliver some good design with Generations and Colours.

TheOGB

Banned
I also can't believe Sega/Sonic Team made me care even remotely about catching up with NPCs. It's mostly because I fucking adore the way all the humans look. They actually made it work. I sincerely hope they don't lose that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know some people say that Sonic looks like an arrogant asshole with the smile on the side of his face, but it's miles better than the weird mouth animations from Sonic Adventure. I can't help but to laugh at some of the cutscenes because of the animations.

...it doesn't help that I remember the GB Quick Look of the XBLA version and now synchronize how they simulated the sounds coming out of those mouth animations.

Humans that actually look like they belong in a Sonic game. They look right alongside Dr. Eggman and his cartoony look.

Imagine that.
Yep. Keep using those conceptual designs instead of the stuff in Sonic 2006 and the Adventure games and we're golden. Everyone fit in so well.

Kokonoe

Banned
I know some people say that Sonic looks like an arrogant asshole with the smile on the side of his face, but it's miles better than the weird mouth animations from Sonic Adventure. I can't help but to laugh at some of the cutscenes because of the animations.

...it doesn't help that I remember the GB Quick Look of the XBLA version and now synchronize how they simulated the sounds coming out of those mouth animations.

Yep. Keep using those conceptual designs instead of the stuff in Sonic 2006 and the Adventure games and we're golden. Everyone fit in so well.

Whoa. Really? Never heard that myself. Although, I do see a lot of complaints about how he looks when he's doing a non-teeth smile. As Boostitude on SEGA forum put it, Classic is better at normal shots, while Modern is better at teeth.

TheOGB

Banned
Whoa. Really? Never heard that myself. Although, I do see a lot of complaints about how he looks when he's doing a non-teeth smile. As Boostitude on SEGA forum put it, Classic is better at normal shots, while Modern is better at teeth.
But it's great to see them get a handle on how to make him look in 3D artwork
since they've kicked 2D art to the curb :c
, with these two pics being noticably not-awkward-looking

I remember being legit upset in SA2 because, to a certain extent, they seemed to ditch Tails' character development from SA1. Of course, in retrospect, the only evidence of that is Tails calling out for Sonic when he dies, but I was 16, dammit!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Unleashed is the only Sonic game that made me tear up. And I first played it last year, so I have no excuses about being young and inexperienced. :lol

The first game that made me cry was probably Suikoden I, now that I think about it.

Kokonoe said:
Yeah, apparently he looks like a jerk to some people for reasons that I can't really understand. It apparently gives off an air of arrogance.

EuroMIX

I remember being legit upset in SA2 because, to a certain extent, they seemed to ditch Tails' character development from SA1. Of course, in retrospect, the only evidence of that is Tails calling out for Sonic when he dies, but I was 16, dammit!

Yeah, I honestly really liked most of the character progression in the two Adventure games. Tails learned to be more brave and to do things without Sonic and that leads to him going to bust Sonic out of jail and take on tons of robots without assistance. Amy is also more independent wanting to help save Sonic as well and be involved in the heroes plans. Knuckles is expanded beyond just the Master Emerald guardian and is given a foil and potential love-interest.

Granted, it wasn't told amazingly well, but I enjoyed the fact that the characters had on-going arcs and progression. That's why I hated Heroes so much because it threw a ton of that out.

In fact, almost tragically, Sonic is probably one of the least developed characters in his own series. Maybe that's why so many people liked Shadow so much, because he was enough like Sonic in form, but his character was much more interesting. It was a fair bit disappointing for me as a Sonic The Comic reader to compare how much Sonic grew and had faults and character progression to how much plainer he was in the games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
EuroMIX said:
It was a fair bit disappointing for me as a Sonic The Comic reader to compare how much Sonic grew and had faults and character progression to how much plainer he was in the games.
Because there's only so much character growth that you can fit into a platformer. Sonic never needed that character growth before, so I guess SEGA was content with not developing his character much. He's supposed to be the typical hero with attitude who saves the day. His suffering and trials and whatever is reserved for other media like the comics or cartoon because that sort of stuff can be developed and expanded well there since they have the time to do it.

I think for people who started with the Adventure games, then, narrative is very significant and important to them for the Sonic series. But I don't care much for it since narrative was never ever a significant point of detail in the platformers I played growing up. It was just a very thin and loose glue that holds the levels together with one objective in mind, and that's adequate enough. So... I guess that might've been where the split in the fanbase began to appear.

Shit. Bubsy should've had a story. Maybe then I could have tolerated the game.

Yes Part 15 arrives! The boss is going to be amazing to watch.
LOL. I knew that was going to happen... cuz it happened to me.

I died and died and died and died, didn't stock up on lives, and I had to beat Egg Dragoon all over again! Granted, Egg Dragoon is such a joke of a boss, so it's not hard to S-rank it and then go back to the other battle. But man,
that Voltron's
controls are slow since it takes time for him to animate his punch so you can't instantaneously hit the boulder to move past. You had to play it a lot like baseball.

Also needed better defenses for the beam.

Honestly, the concept sounded good on paper, but the execution was severely flawed.

EuroMIX

Because there's only so much character growth that you can fit into a platformer. Sonic never needed that character growth before, so I guess SEGA was content with not developing his character much. He's supposed to be the typical hero with attitude who saves the day. His suffering and trials and whatever is reserved for other media like the comics or cartoon because that sort of stuff can be developed and expanded well there since they have the time to do it.

But as I already stated, within at least two games, characters like Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Amy all were given some kind of development. Sonic is generally the odd one out and it's rather tragic when you compare how much better handled the characters around him are to himself. I do like a lot of what they've done more recently in games like Black Knight where Sega went as far as to challenge Sonic as a character and the hero.

I think for people who started with the Adventure games, then, narrative is very significant and important to them for the Sonic series. But I don't care much for it since narrative was never ever a significant point of detail in the platformers I played growing up. It was just a very thin and loose glue that holds the levels together with one objective in mind, and that's adequate enough. So... I guess that might've been where the split in the fanbase began to appear.

I grew up with the original platformers and I still loved a lot about the Adventure saga. I liked the attempt at a more solid and significant narrative and even expanding on Sonic's world and his relationship with Robotnik. I also adore the simplicity of the classics, but I believe that was largely in part to the era that they were made in. I'd say that the more deep narrative was always there, but it just wasn't as noticeable in the classics due to how they were made. I appreciate that the 3D games fleshed it out more.

With regards to character development, sometimes I feel less is more. Mario doesn't need character development, and is probably more endearing for it. Same with Sonic. Considering all these tragic backstories, it's nice to have one character who's decidedly not bogged down with one. Tails? Teased as a kid for his two tails. Knuckles? Last of his kind - sort of - on an island that he dutifully guards, despite nobody usually coming around to bother him. Shadow? Artificially created, had his one true friend murdered in front of him as she tried to save him, captured by her murderers anyway and imprisoned for fifty years, tampered with by his creator to be used as a pawn in his plan for vengeful global destruction, falls through the atmosphere, loses his memory, finds out he might be a fake copy of the original, finds out he's based off of alien DNA, finds out he is the original after all (oh okay), decides to put all this bullshit past behind him and just look forward to the future - which involves accidentally unleashing Lovecraftian time eaters (no relation) from ten years or so in past who then take on his form and start to taunt him, and going back into the past again (but fortunately not his past) in a vain attempt to stop it, setting up a causality loop...

Sonic? What you see is what you get, just a guy that loves adventure. He's Sonic the Hedgehog.

Heck, sometimes, the lack of character development works in a character's favor. Obviously this example doesn't compare to Sonic's extremely well, but look at The Joker from The Dark Knight. We know nothing about his character's past (given that he's offered two contradictory tales, and probably would have given a third if Batman hadn't shut him up). That helps add to just how downright mysterious the guy is - his past makes no sense, and his present sure as hell doesn't follow any logical pattern, either.

Anyway, I'm not really losing any sleep about not knowing Sonic's backstory. Considering some of the backstories we have gotten, we're better off.

Shit. Bubsy should've had a story. Maybe then I could have tolerated the game.
Consider for a minute that it'd be written by the same people who wrote all the already-existing and downright riveting dialog in the game as it exists.

Does that really sound tolerable to you?

Lijik

I replayed the Sonic Adventure 2 speed stages over the course of the past hour. Theres a handful (Green Forest and the space stages) where I just consistently feel stressfully out of control. Not because of any onrails gameplay (although Final Chase has plenty of that!) but because I just can't trust the camera or the movement of my character.
Green Forest is mostly because its just green all over my screen and i cant really distinguish what the fuck is happening at the speed its happening. White Jungle has the benefit of a contrasting background and plays just fine.
The space stages are just stressful and super frustrating. Always my least favorite parts when I revisit the speed stages. I guess this is how the average person feels playing Asteroid Coaster

I might go ahead and replay the other stage types later on today, I haven't touched those in a few years.

Crazy Gadget is pretty bad, that much I remember, I never replay it. Horrible memories of such a simple task where you have to use the bounce bracelet when on the ceiling to bounce down to a light dash ring line with insta-death acid below above it and the light dash would screw up half the time.
And the slow switch pressing bit at the end, and of course it's yet another space station interior stage.

Crazy Gadget is pretty bad, that much I remember, I never replay it. Horrible memories of such a simple task where you have to use the bounce bracelet when on the ceiling to bounce down to a light dash ring line with insta-death acid below above it and the light dash would screw up half the time.
And the slow switch pressing bit at the end, and of course it's yet another space station interior stage.
If there's just one thing SA2 did wrong mechanically - and there's not, because there's a whole laundry list of things, but this is one of the more glaring - it's forcing all the actions onto one button, causing the game to get confused and perform the wrong action at times. Activating the bounce attack when you're trying to light dash is most assuredly the most triumphant example.

And their solution for some of these ambiguities? Pressing Y until the action you want shows up on the top-right corner on a little icon that takes a full second to display what the newly selected action is. Magic Hands seemed pretty damn cool, but like hell I'm ever going to stop and slowly rotate through the list of actions to use it when a homing attack would suffice.

One of the things I like about Generations, honestly. Every button has its assigned role, and it does nothing but that role (barring some role changes when in midair). A jumps or homing attacks. X boosts or air dashes. B ducks/skids or stomps the ground. Y light dashes, but since so few rings actually support that (actually kind of surprising considering their ubiquity in earlier games), is also used for optional, non-critical power-ups. L/R drift, LB/RB quick step in the given direction. Straightforward. Compare to SA2, where A jumps and homing attacks, while B spin dashes, somersaults, light dashes, bounce attacks, grabs, throws... overloaded!

Heroes was pretty awful about this, too. I recall never getting that spin dash equivalent to work on a regular basis.

I can see the appeal of Sonic being a character with little development, but unlike Mario, Sonic is surrounded by other characters with apparent development so it kind of sticks out more. As I mention though, I like what they did with Black Knight.

I'm fine with there being no backstory to Sonic even if he's surrounded by characters with tons (though we also know nothing about Tails or Amy, really).

It almost makes Sonic mysterious, in a way. My favorite depictions are where he's almost treated more like a force of nature. The day they explain where Sonic "came from" or give him some kind of personal drama is truly the day I check out of this franchise, because like a lot of story beats, going back and trying to explain something after the fact means the writer is probably doing a shitty job.

Lijik

I can see the appeal of Sonic being a character with little development, but unlike Mario, Sonic is surrounded by other characters with apparent development so it kind of sticks out more. As I mention though, I like what they did with Black Knight.

I personally don't mind it, its like Tintin in a way.
(and please no one in this thread complain they cant get into Tintin because theres no backstory to his hair)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
With regards to character development, sometimes I feel less is more. Mario doesn't need character development, and is probably more endearing for it. Same with Sonic. Considering all these tragic backstories, it's nice to have one character who's decidedly not bogged down with one.

Sonic? What you see is what you get, just a guy that loves adventure. He's Sonic the Hedgehog... Anyway, I'm not really losing any sleep about not knowing Sonic's backstory. Considering some of the backstories we have gotten, we're better off.
This guy gets it, especially with the bit about how Shadow's character is just super-overwritten and it comes off as extremely messy and undisciplined writing. That's exactly how I feel about it. Sonic's just this hedgehog with attitude who runs really fast and is always set for adventuring. He beats up an overweight guy's robots because he's causing ecological damage and keeping animals captive to make more robots. That's who Sonic is to me: a character I play in a platformer because I'm playing the platformer for how the game plays rather than mainly the narrative.

Though this fits in perfectly with the fact that I don't play many games for the narrative anymore.

Consider for a minute that it'd be written by the same people who wrote all the already-existing and downright riveting dialog in the game as it exists.

Does that really sound tolerable to you?
I made that post when I woke up after two hours of sleep and was still 3/4 asleep prior to writing an exam. I had a nap so now I'm a little sane. Plus I think that was me trying to make a joke but it didn't come off well.

It almost makes Sonic mysterious, in a way. My favorite depictions are where he's almost treated more like a force of nature. The day they explain where Sonic "came from" or give him some kind of personal drama is truly the day I check out of this franchise, because like a lot of story beats, going back and trying to explain something after the fact means the writer is probably doing a shitty job.
C'mon. You don't want him to be like Cloud Strife, Cecil Harvey, or some other RPG character with a lot of personal baggage? ;)

Let's get Motomu Toriyama to write a Sonic game. He'd do it.

EuroMIX said:
I'd say that the more deep narrative was always there, but it just wasn't as noticeable in the classics due to how they were made. I appreciate that the 3D games fleshed it out more.
EuroMIX, I'm not being personal with you, but you get where I'm coming from, yeah? My post probably came off as overly snarky or irritable because I wasn't sleeping much.

I get where you come from because you find it engaging since it's a character you enjoy and would rather have more development come out of his character to make him seem as 'whole' as the characters who surround him. But on my front, I don't come to Sonic or any other platformer for story because I get that out of another genre which does it bet--...er, which has a handful of games which handles character development successfully. I don't expect that sort of writing from Sonic, and when they try to handle deeper issues, it just turns into a mess (Shadow, Sonic 2006, etc).

Sonic Chronicles, by comparison, actually handles the character writing and development fairly well even for all of its mistakes as a classically-oriented RPG. Sonic is still left as a bit of a blank slate, but at least he comes off as a snarky asshole if you choose the right dialogue choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom