• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
So out of depressing boredom I booted up Unleashed (as if I wasn't going to anyway xP) and took a trip to Eggmanland to talk to the first NPC I see: EF-MD1991.

Holy fucking shit this is one hilarious robot. :lol "I'm sick of seeing your face." "Well, I'm going to sleep. You'd better not wake me!" *keeps walking*

EDIT: Ha, I just ran into EF-XB2006. "I have only just been made. I have much to learn."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So out of depressing boredom I booted up Unleashed (as if I wasn't going to anyway xP) and took a trip to Eggmanland to talk to the first NPC I see: EF-MD1991.

Holy fucking shit this is one hilarious robot. :lol "I'm sick of seeing your face." "Well, I'm going to sleep. You'd better not wake me!" *keeps walking*

EDIT: Ha, I just ran into EF-XB2006. "I have only just been made. I have much to learn."
Tell one of the robots that your name is Sonic. They don't give a fuck.

I love how Chip doesn't like any of the food there, and the food just gives 1 XP. how clever.

You people need to stop talking about Eggmanland before I end up replaying it to rediscover why I hated it so much.
Do iiiiit! I did it this past weekend, TheOGB just finished it off, and RunButton just finished it! It's the 'in' thing!

I haven't touched Unleashed since '09... and it was Dragon Road Day that I gave up on, curiously, not Eggmanland or anything. Got fed up with the Unleashed gameplay style and swore it would never work.

Then Generations came out and it worked.

So... I should probably revisit Unleashed as well, huh.

TheOGB

Banned
What the hell? Forget Eggmanland and the last bosses, why did no one tell me to stock up on lives for Windmill Isle Act 3??

Play 06 while you're at it :trollface:
Fortunately I don't own it, no i'm not buying it, i'm not even downloading the demo!

Don't just replay it, do the hotdog missions for it.
Conquer it.
For me simply replaying it is the hotdog mission. Speaking of which I've just gone through it and my thoughts are as follows.

- First of all my original stage time was a whopping 49 minutes, presumably time extended because the room where you actually need to find a hidden switch, I conquered the time with something like 32 minutes, yep, still too long this stage.

- While i'm all for them finally deciding to put some hazardous platforming into the game since every other stage is more of an obstacle race track it should be pointed out that Sonic is clunky as fuck.

- I haven't played as the Werehog since like the game came out and good god almighty is it bad, I was playing Ninja Gaiden sigma 2 yesterday on Mentor and going from that combat to this abomination is utterly horrifying! He's slow, cumbersome, has odd combo strings, is weak, those shitty quick time events than any sane man wont even bother with and the shield system is maddeningly bad. Fortunately Werehog has some tricks up his stretchy sleeves, first of all the charged Strong attack is beyond broken, able to one hit kill enemies, it's the god send of this dreck. Runner up to the move that ends with Werehog hundred hand slap mash.

- Quick time events everywhere, it's not often I use the 360 so I kept getting confused, even so there's far too many of them in this game.

- The game has no confidence in its own design, when I reach a checkpoint and there's an extra life forced upon me immediately afterwards it's time for tears, Sonic Team know it's all they can do to try and make amends, key word here is try.

- Speaking of such sections whose bright idea was it to make that rollercoaster/toboggan section?! when you inevitably die due to arse controls you have to sit through the whole rollercoaster ride, and there I was thinking "hey this is pretty cool" the first time, the other 3 or 4 times not so much.

- Machine Gun robots I hate you so. Well at least there wasn't any wasps.

- You know Werehog platforming isn't too bad when swinging across poles and using the lock on to take mad shortcuts with the dhalsim reach, shame that they FORGOT TO PUT A BLOODY SHADOW UNDER HIM WHEN HE JUMPS! WHY?! WHHHHHHYYYY?! EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY REMEMBERED THIS IT STILL MUST BE RANTED ABOUT!
The rest of this involves balancing precariously on pipes which is of course the absolute pinnacle of fun, especially as the camera swerves around and scenery obstructs.

- So many sections for both characters have the camera too close or send you flying forward towards pits of death with very little warning, Some circular shaft section as normal Sonic that had to be traversed with short sighted platforming leaps to mind.

- The slides are hilarious, Werehog moves slower than he runs going down these tubes and a combination of slow shuffling movement and spinning fans ensures that at one point you will likely be going slower than a crawl as the Werehog eats the side of a spinning fan continuously.

- Werehog death scream is perfect, the cry of anguish is so suitable to the players own emotions, the sounds guys never let us down.

- This last point just sums up how awful the fighting design is, the last room has two giant enemies that can loop you into an un-evadable chain of being constantly knocked on your backside unable to move as shockwaves just keep knocking you back, the camera in these rooms fails to take the enemies into account meaning you spend half the time being hit from off screen. Fortunately the games rage mode equivalent and charge punch works wonders even on the big guys.

So in summary: What a shitty stage, why did I play it?!

:lol

I'm almost tempted to boot up Unleashed just to see this.

EuroMIX

EuroMIX, I'm not being personal with you, but you get where I'm coming from, yeah? My post probably came off as overly snarky or irritable because I wasn't sleeping much.

I get where you come from because you find it engaging since it's a character you enjoy and would rather have more development come out of his character to make him seem as 'whole' as the characters who surround him. But on my front, I don't come to Sonic or any other platformer for story because I get that out of another genre which does it bet--...er, which has a handful of games which handles character development successfully. I don't expect that sort of writing from Sonic, and when they try to handle deeper issues, it just turns into a mess (Shadow, Sonic 2006, etc).

Sonic Chronicles, by comparison, actually handles the character writing and development fairly well even for all of its mistakes as a classically-oriented RPG. Sonic is still left as a bit of a blank slate, but at least he comes off as a snarky asshole if you choose the right dialogue choices.

I fear that you're taking our discussion too much to heart. I don't mind that other people have their own views and preferences, and I actually don't mind aspects of the less narrative and character-heavy Sonic, I just liked what the 3D games brought to the table.

I've kind of geared myself up to expect animosity on GAF, and you haven't been that harsh, so don't worry about it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I fear that you're taking our discussion too much to heart. I don't mind that other people have their own views and preferences, and I actually don't mind aspects of the less narrative and character-heavy Sonic, I just liked what the 3D games brought to the table.

I've kind of geared myself up to expect animosity on GAF, and you haven't been that harsh, so don't worry about it.
Oh no. I try not to be mean or anything in my posts because it's just a discussion board and people still have feelings regardless. I figured I came off as mean based on the tone of it when I went back and re-read it, so I'm really sorry.

- Werehog death scream is perfect, the cry of anguish is so suitable to the players own emotions, the sounds guys never let us down.

- This last point just sums up how awful the fighting design is, the last room has two giant enemies that can loop you into an un-evadable chain of being constantly knocked on your backside unable to move as shockwaves just keep knocking you back, the camera in these rooms fails to take the enemies into account meaning you spend half the time being hit from off screen. Fortunately the games rage mode equivalent and charge punch works wonders even on the big guys.

So in summary: What a shitty stage, why did I play it?!
Because you wanted to suffer along with us. :lol

The Werehog death scream in Japanese is a little more subdued, but the English one is hilarious. It's so perfect.

And that last bit happened to me on the weekend. They kept stomping and stomping and knocked the Werehog into the wall. Luckily, one of them ended up killing the other so it wasn't as awful (but by then I think I was low on health). Need to buy some stuff from Wentos to max out the Werehog, I guess.

TheOGB

Banned
Need to buy some stuff from Wentos to max out the Werehog, I guess.
Need to do what with who now??

Shit, let me hurry and find this gu-- ...he's sitting here in Mazuri...?

EDIT: He disappeared so I go to Spagonia and run into Mauro and... his dad. Was not expecting that. So random and heartwarming, seeing tough guy Mauro break down like that. :')

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Need to do what with who now??

Shit, let me hurry and find this gu-- ...he's sitting here in Mazuri...?
You know how to scam Wentos out of money, right? Accumulate enough money and buy the Hero Sandwich from him for 30 rings if you see it in his inventory. You could also go to Empire City and buy the Big G Steak, but it isn't cost-effective (but easier to purchase over the Hero Sandwich).

GO FOR THE HEART, SCHALA. DON'T APOLOGIZE.
But you know I don't have it in me to be a meanie! :(

Did you die at all? Because if you did it is not the same thing at all.
Well I wasn't saying it was the same, just that for me simply going back to the stage was suffering enough and I assume the hotdog stuff involved suffering.
Let me just check the hotdog criteria, you know it's been a while....
Oh I see, it's a joke right? I mean to not die in Eggmanland is like an impossibility, WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT A JOKE?!

TheOGB

Banned
Wait, Raimondo left Frederica for Lilli??

WHY THE FUCK AM I SO INTERESTED IN THESE NPCS

EDIT: Found Wentos selling Chao Chugger for 20 rings. Curious, I checked what the buy-back rate was. 100 rings.

Wentos is so hopelessly awkward, I almsot feel bad for exploiting him. :lol

Gravijah

If Schala was mean I'd freak out so much I'd never come bavk

one day schala is just gonna be like "fuck you billiechu"

then you'll make this face

gtz03.jpg

RobbieNick

Wait, Raimondo left Frederica for Lilli??

WHY THE FUCK AM I SO INTERESTED IN THESE NPCS

EDIT: Found Wentos selling Chao Chugger for 20 rings. Curious, I checked what the buy-back rate was. 100 rings.

Wentos is so hopelessly awkward, I almsot feel bad for exploiting him. :lol

He does that he's so hard to find because he's kind of a cheat to help you level up faster. Plus, he's just an all-around awesome character.

Overly fast Werehog running animation, almost redemption.
Shame I had to suffer its groan worthy gameplay earlier to remind me he still sucks.

TheOGB

Banned
Honestly, I do enjoy beating the shit out of things with the Werehog. They just made too many bad decisions that let him down. Hard. Really hard.

So fucking hard GOD WHY ARE THE LATER STAGES SO FUCKING HARD IT'S RIDICULOUS UGHH

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Werehog's back! and he's awesome now :p

edit; i loovve Melpontro's video descriptions lmao.
Hey, look. This is the speed at which the Werehog should've operated at. I'd play this.

one day schala is just gonna be like "fuck you billiechu"

then you'll make this face
And what'll prompt me to ever say that? :O

Billiechu seems like she's very reasonable.

*Billiechu runs away from the thread*

*trips over a rock and breakdances into the void*
I'm sorry! :(

Part 15 of the Unleashed LP is great.

"Remember when the Emeralds just made things go super and masses float?"
*2 secs later a load of buildings float by Emerald power*

EuroMIX

I honestly don't think that the Werehog should have been that fast, with the boost and everything, but it definitely should have been more speed-based and have more flow. Sonic should fly across rooftops and not dangle precariously from tightropes.

To be honest. I'd rather that they craft something like that into gameplay for Knuckles i.e. slower than Sonic, but more powerful.

To be honest. I'd rather that they craft something like that into gameplay for Knuckles i.e. slower than Sonic, but more powerful.

The problem with the whole "Sonic's shitty friends" mantra is that after a while it just became "friends are bad" instead of "how friends are used is bad". Though the werehog would need a fair bit of retooling (up his speed a bit, replace stretchy arms with gliding/climbing) to make sense as Knuckles.

There's really no reason Unleashed couldn'tve taken that route and been a Sonic & Knuckles 2, though. The whole Emerald fuckery gives Knuckles a reason to be there instead of just being all o hai whatever like in Heroes and 06, and slightly beat-'em-upish gameplay suits the character so if they weren't so fixated on "only Sonic can be playable", it could've worked.

EuroMIX

Well the idea is to not make other characters a requirement to beat the game and also not bad to control. I wouldn't want them all to be direct Sonic clones (aside from maybe Shadow) because that would be boring. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to design levels that are more about exploration than just speed. Adding touches like platforms only Tails could reach by flying and walls that only Knuckles can break could give some nice variety and fun reasons to play levels as the other characters. Sonic has his speed and boost power now to not make him feel as nerfed compared to many of his friends, so I see no harm in letting other characters be slower and making use of their unique abilities to explore stages.

It would be awesome if we could realise the multiple routes we had in 3&K in a 3D game. That lower area with the buttons that cause things to happen to the distant Egg Pawns that your reach by drilling in Sweet Mountain Act 1 is close to what I'm talking about.

Wait i've got it, Dark for Darkspine Schala complete with sore throat voice effects.
"If this is your world it's a world that I don't want any part of!" and something something if I use time break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom