• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

In other Iizuka news, his advice to Arkedo apparently paid off in spades. Jaffe brought up that story while talking about Hell Yeah! right before praising the controls.

TheOGB

Banned
Eggman has advanced Sonicbots

and low-poly Shadowbots

as well as the other, less stupid shit he invented

what the fuck is this guy doing

Eggman has enough time, money, and resources that he can build a giant death star that looks like himself, have it blown up, and then rebuilt it again.

Does he have an army of robot contractors and constructors or what

TheOGB

Banned
In Sonic's world, Eggman's family discovered Mobigold, which was worthless at first. The Robotniks made it worth shit, starting with rings. Eventually rings got replaced by everything else, and now there's an overabundance of rings

Cause that's how the economy works

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I always thought the Sonic universe had its equivalents of the Minish/Picori and they'd just put rings everywhere.

Man, contemplating staying off of gaming side for a bit too. I don't know why, but I've become a little irritated with it today. @_@

D:

Why not?!
Because it's for school/work/me looking at anime/listening to music/browsing the Internet. :D

Mostly, it's for computing statistics/calculus/graphs with Matlab/SPSS/Excel/Maple, and using ChemOffice. In some cases I kinda have to ask for permission to install stuff. But a lot of my classmates/colleagues put Steam on their laptops themselves, so I guess I could put it on one of these days when I'm not so busy...

Does that mean Sonic Heroes is Final Fantasy 7, and playing with three characters is a party?
The final battle is
One Winged Angel, and the part where Tails slaps Metal Sonic on the head is the solo fight of Cloud and Sephiroth.
Oh man, and Big the Cat is Cait Sith so that means Big is a robot. Shadow is Vincent. I don't know who the Chaotix are.

Everything makes sense now. There should have been a "WE'RE SONIC HEROES!"-esque quote at the end too.

Lijik

Eggman has advanced Sonicbots

and low-poly Shadowbots

as well as the other, less stupid shit he invented

what the fuck is this guy doing

He's like that one middle aged woman everyone knows who just can't stop baking pies.
Except its with robots.

OMG Aero

From Sonic and Knuckles.
Mecha-s3k-chargeup-ani.gif
This is the best robot Sonic because he can go super.
Naw, I have fighting games with barely over 10-20% because I'm... not very good at them, and people get really competitive online, so I get shy. :lol
So i'm not the only one with an irrational fear of stepping into a fighting games (or most games) online modes?
I am exactly the same, we should start a club for people afraid of playing fighting games with other people online and then we'll actually have people to play with.

My sister and her BF bought a new 47" 3d tv today and I just spent a few hours helping them set it up and playing sonic generations on it in 3d.

DAMN SON! so good looking in 3d, classic GHZ and Planet Wisp were eye melting love. Using the cross eye method on the demo months ago is nothing compared to using a true 3D tv and glasses.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I blame Final Fantasy.
Ugh, don't get me started on that thread...

I am exactly the same, we should start a club for people afraid of playing fighting games with other people online and then we'll actually have people to play with.
I don't really understand why they haven't implemented something like that.

Sometimes if you wait to buy the game way past launch, you won't have the adequate practice to stand up to people who've been playing it for much longer. And people can be mean about it. :/

Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic Pt.125 - Sonic and the Black Knight
Once again the best part of a Black Knight LP is the part at the end where
they watch the fan art videos.
Ooooh whoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~

I just love how they're so confused at the beginning. "Tails?" "wtf?" "So at this point, how could it be bad? :D"

And then they play it: "This game's on-rails and they messed that up!"
And then they realize that the sword talks. "What is this?" "I hate this." I love hearing people play SatBK for the first time. This is wonderful.

I'd play a game where Sonic's friends forget who he is.

Fanart movies are the best~ "Why do they have that shitty one?" :lol

I'd never actually viewed any Black Knight footage until today, well I can see now how it ended up being worse than secret rings even with the bizarre controls fixed to something more logical.

ShadiWulf

does sonic have ak-47s like final fantasy yet

Shadow the Hedgehog 2 might. Or Sonic Adventure.

Bow your head low all hail SHADOW

Dfj8M.jpg

Ma2Hv.jpg

looks similar to me but i don't know if its AK47, i'm not a GUN expert.

tons of other guns here:
http://www.ign.com/images/games/shadow-the-hedgehog-gcn-734824/4fa6ca05cdc388ed13ec12f7

BTW, apparently Iizuka-san is at E3, must be looking for inspiration, be scared, you know he will be looking at western games for inspiration

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38586830&postcount=24

qq more

I STILL seriously can't fucking believe Shadow The Hedgehog (game) actually exist. I mean, I can believe Sonic 06 existing despite it being a much much worse game than Shadow but I can't believe Sega thought the idea of giving the franchise a gritty dudebro shootbang spinoff was acceptable. I mean, what in the fuck were they thinking?

ShadiWulf

I STILL seriously can't fucking believe Shadow The Hedgehog (game) actually exist. I mean, I can believe Sonic 06 existing despite it being a much much worse game than Shadow but I can't believe Sega thought the idea of giving the franchise a gritty dudebro shootbang spinoff was acceptable. I mean, what in the fuck were they thinking?

Here is what Iizuka-san was inspired by for Shadow the Hedgehog

IGN: Were there movies or films that inspired the look or direction of Shadow?

Iizuka: We use a variety of different mediums to gather inspiration from, but the true ideas…the heart of Shadow…comes from the brilliant minds of our internal art department. I can, however, say that we did reference films like Underworld, Constantine and even Terminator series while creating concept art for Shadow. These movies and more were used to create the image of what we thought Shadow and his world would be.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/645/645487p1.html

edit: lol

IGN: How did the Shadow project get started?

Iizuka: We wanted to expand the Sonic franchise by offering a more mature game with features that has never been possible before in a Sonic game. With this in mind, we decided that giving Shadow his own title was the way to go!

In Shadow, the player is given the opportunity to decide Shadow's personality and unveil the truth behind the mysteries that shroud our renegade hedgehog. We were also able to create a charcacter that has the same Sonic speed combined with never-before-seen abilities - weapons, vehicles, and power-ups.

IGN: How did the new morality system come about and how does it come into play?

Iizuka: Shadow is a true rebel and is extremely mysterious. From the beginning, people have questioned whether Shadow is good or evil. In this adventure, we allow player to explore the mysteries of his past. The player must help Shadow remember and aid him through his journey, as he struggles to discover his true meaning.

also keep in mind, when Iizuka says "we" or "the team" hes talking about things he wanted to do.

Lijik

Watching the Black Knight episode reminded me how much I love basically everything about that game except actually playing it (well and the fucking sword concept). The menus are really stylish

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh I remember that first trailer for Shadow the Hedgehog.

Everyone thought it was some April Fool's joke or something.
I definitely did :(

Talk about the game nobody ever wanted!

Lijik

"Shadow focus tested how well?"

The upshot is that it bombed hard enough that there's no threat of Sega making another character-specific spinoff ever again.

Weren't they still considering making a Silver spinoff prior to 2006's release?

TheOGB

Banned
Going back to Generations after weeks of just Unleashed is... man, they've improved so much. But I've forgotten everything.

I played through Rooftop Run confused the whole time. I was like, "Wait what the hell? How'd I end up on the low road? What happened to that one route??"

Shadow's fight is alright with I Am... All of Me. I'd be surprised if it wasn't though. :V

EDIT: Shadow reveal was so hilarious :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
IGN said:
Shadow is a true rebel and is extremely mysterious. From the beginning, people have questioned whether Shadow is good or evil
That's, like, the most generic description of Shadow ever, lol.

HE'S A TRUE REBEL. HE IS... ALL OF HIM.

Weren't they still considering making a Silver spinoff prior to 2006's release?
How would he focus-test well?

Aside: I feel bad for somewhat melting down in the 3DS conference thread over FE. How embarrassing!

ShadiWulf

iizuka-san's ideas aren't focused tested, they are his pure innovations. that is why he is back in control of the Sonic franchise. Werehog was focus tested, iizuka-san would of never allowed such a disaster in his Sonic games.

Oh lord, were they? First I've ever heard of it.
I recall reading that the plan was to release a Silver the Hedgehog game, which would be more puzzle-based and complement Shadow the Hedgehog (guns and shit) and Sonic the Hedgehog (straight-forward fast Sonic game) and to continue Shadow/Silver as separate series.

Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked Sonic 06 flopped like a fish.

Lijik

I remember when they revealed Silver there was some interview where some employee said something along the lines of "Our hopes is that we can see these three characters with their own games side by side on retail shelves"
It was part of why the game was called just "Sonic the Hedgehog" so you'd go and see Sonic the Hedgehog, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Silver the Hedgehog together.

I cant find it now though

I think they could fix up the character and the controls to be interesting enough, the potential is there for some interesting gameplay.

oh god please dont kill me

Even still, I'd like to see Sonic Team get Tails' and Knuckles' gameplay right first. It would be the perfect 3D Sonic, and the sequel to S3&K everyone wants.

I'd play a Silver game to experience the origin story of his funky looking gloves, gloves like that you don't just buy from the shop.

In terms of Sonic Adventure playstyles, I didn't think Silver's was bad. Shadow too seemed to find a balance in 06, outside of the vehicles, that differentiated himself from Sonic but didn't require he bust caps.

I wouldn't mind either if the game had been competently put together.

Lijik

I'd play a Silver game to experience the origin story of his funky looking gloves, gloves like that you don't just buy from the shop.

I've kind of always imagined the future that Silver came from to be Sonic CD/Knuckles Chaotix levels of crazy ass designs everywhere before Iblis came.

OMG Aero

Oh I remember that first trailer for Shadow the Hedgehog.

Everyone thought it was some April Fool's joke or something.
I definitely did :(

Talk about the game nobody ever wanted!
The best part about when they announced Shadow the Hedgehog is that they started with a trailer of all the Sonic games making you think an awesome new Sonic game was coming, then BANG BANG BANG here's Shadow with a gun.
It was a fucking great troll by Sega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom