• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

I decided to get the Deadly Six edition of Lost World today on a whim because it was on sale. Was mixed on the demo but it was cheap enough for me to not double-guess.

on a scale of sonic '06 to sonic generations how am I going to find this

Tizoc

Scarves are always cool, you nerds

kamen-riders.jpg

I decided to get the Deadly Six edition of Lost World today on a whim because it was on sale. Was mixed on the demo but it was cheap enough for me to not double-guess.

on a scale of sonic '06 to sonic generations how am I going to find this

Sonic Heroes

This sounds about right to me, maybe a bit of the old Sonic 4 as another point to measure against.
So basically it falls into that pile of various mediocrity where overall placement varies on your taste.

Kart94

Banned
I heard that the scarf, like the tape, was to sort of look more "practical". Iunno, keeps bugs out of his mouth when he's flying by?

I could probably buy the scarf being pratical i mean in any Ice or Desert theme, a scarf would be pratical, but the bandages? I don't know. It seems more like Sonic and friends are becoming more fragile and constantly spraining their ankles and wrists.

Village

I hope that no-one is ever serious when they say this.

EDIT: This avatar is really goddamn small.

You ... you new to sonic?There quite a bit of people who like shadow the hedgehog. Word on the streets man. This is some new info i'm just dropping on you , this hot new information no one was keen on.

I would rather sanic fighting game tho.

Regiruler

You ... you new to sonic?There quite a bit of people who like shadow the hedgehog. Word on the streets man. This is some new info i'm just dropping on you , this hot new information no one was keen on.

I would rather sanic fighting game tho.

I mean outside of those fans.
TBH I've never played a title with him in it bar generations (or colors DS) so I don't see the appeal. Silver is cooler anyway if we're going by pure aesthetic.

WillyFive

To be honest, before I found NeoGAF, I didn't know there were any other kind of Sonic fans.

TBH I've never played a title with him in it bar generations (or colors DS) so I don't see the appeal. Silver is cooler anyway if we're going by pure aesthetic.

He was a cool character with a backstory that was very well developed and extensive by Sonic standards. He was able to keep up with Sonic and simply said cool things.

Silver by comparison always felt like a wimpy character.

Village

Eh... Those being the implication of what exactly?

Enlighten me?

Like do you mean people who like shadow the hedgehog.

Or that thing where peeps try to justify why this character is more popular than the one they like by assigning that character a weird fanbase, but in actuality its just regular people who like sonic and kids mostly. Replace shadow with Rosalina , Lucario, whatever.

Not accusing you of that, its super common mindset though. Fuck that lucario in smash thread.

As far as appeal goes.
Eventually Imma make a thread about it, because I think it should be a trope.
Cosmic powers, kind of dark back story, way more powerful... that a most of the people in that realm. Nice color pallete.
Its a bit more indepth than but, and I am trying to come up with a name for it. But I have seen it a lot in a lot of 2000's forward media, and there seems to be no name for it. Specific type of character, powerset, requirements in context to the series they debuted in.
Magical egdy space person?

Sonic Adventure 2 is his only good appearance, but it's still a good one!

Well he wasn't bad in Sonic Heroes actually...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I've been having a crummy week so I figured that I would go against my better judgement and log in to read stuff in my favourite thread and...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Village, breh, you know better.

This is why i shouldn't take extended breaks from GAF, right? :v

So I've been having a crummy week so I figured that I would go against my better judgement and log in to read stuff in my favourite thread and...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Village, breh, you know better.

This is why i shouldn't take extended breaks from GAF, right? :v

I tried to find some Suikoden/Sonic fanart (not "fanart") to try and cheer you up, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Ey up Sonic-GAF. I just joined NeoGAF after quite a long time lurking and just thought I would pop in to say hi. I'm a long time Sonic fan from the Mega Drive days and despite my better judgment remain a fan all these years later. Sometimes it feels like being on the losing side of some great war with the way people talk about Sonic on the 'net. Coming from the UK, SEGA and Sonic were much more popular than Nintendo. It just seems that to the rest of the world Mario was king. Despite this the blue one still holds a special place in my heart despite the uneven quality of games since the originals.

Just to bring this back on topic; I thought Lost World was ok once you got a hang of the controls. Generations was easily the apex of "Modern" Sonic gameplay but I appreciate what SEGA were trying to do with their Wii U exclusive. I just hope Sonic Team's first effort on the new consoles is closer to the good games of recent history and far away from Sonic '06; their first effort on the new 360 and PS3!

Village

Is lost world whats hot in the streets right now?

Question, if they ever have a character their own book again, would you all read a knuckles and choatix book, I would.

Ey up Sonic-GAF. I just joined NeoGAF after quite a long time lurking and just thought I would pop in to say hi. I'm a long time Sonic fan from the Mega Drive days and despite my better judgment remain a fan all these years later. Sometimes it feels like being on the losing side of some great war with the way people talk about Sonic on the 'net. Coming from the UK, SEGA and Sonic were much more popular than Nintendo. It just seems that to the rest of the world Mario was king. Despite this the blue one still holds a special place in my heart despite the uneven quality of games since the originals.

Just to bring this back on topic; I thought Lost World was ok once you got a hang of the controls. Generations was easily the apex of "Modern" Sonic gameplay but I appreciate what SEGA were trying to do with their Wii U exclusive. I just hope Sonic Team's first effort on the new consoles is closer to the good games of recent history and far away from Sonic '06; their first effort on the new 360 and PS3!

Hey, hey! Former TSSZ Alumni.

Dario ff

Banned
I'd agree with Village that Shadow has some wide appeal for some reason, one that I don't get, but I've seen it from people who don't even follow the franchise at all. One of my friends hasn't really played that much stuff other than 3/Heroes/Generations, and he likes Shadow as a character.
Maybe because he likes Vegeta in DBZ as well, so the appeal is probably from that trope.

Hi Ryan / Blaze / NeoGAF username SEGA1991 (which would you prefer?). I remember seeing you here while I was lurking :). How are things at the website?

I'd read a Knuckles / Chaotix book. Chaotix is a dark patch in my Sonic knowledge. I never had a 32X so never got to play that game. I'm amazed SEGA haven't re-released it yet. Maybe soon, they finally got a decent version of Sonic CD out so who knows.

Shadow I remember being super into when SA2 came out (I would have been 16). He had a great story and I liked that they were delving more into the story of Eggman and the history of Sonic's world in general. I never bought that he would stay dead. Unfortunately they ruined him with Heroes, the Shadow game and Sonic '06. I like that he's an angsty rival of Sonic with a troubled past but he needs a decent showing in a new game again. I just don't think SEGA are up to the task.

BHZ Mayor

As far as appeal goes.
Cosmic powers, kind of dark back story, way more powerful... that a most of the people in that realm. Nice color pallete.
Its a bit more indepth than but, and I am trying to come up with a name for it. But I have seen it a lot in a lot of 2000's forward media, and there seems to be no name for it. Specific type of character, powerset, requirements in context to the series they debuted in.

Vegeta

Soundtracks are usually the strong point of even the weakest Sonic games, yes.

"Usually", because there's no defending Genesis or Chronicles.

Regiruler

Eh... Those being the implication of what exactly?

Enlighten me?

Like do you mean people who like shadow the hedgehog.

Or that thing where peeps try to justify why this character is more popular than the one they like by assigning that character a weird fanbase, but in actuality its just regular people who like sonic and kids mostly. Replace shadow with Rosalina , Lucario, whatever.

Not accusing you of that, its super common mindset though. Fuck that lucario in smash thread.

As far as appeal goes.

I just don't really like edgy as a defining character trait. You see shadow's colors, you think edgy. You hear his voice, you think edgy. You read his goddamn name, you think edgy. Although that might be because there is already the stigma. I can't really put myself into a vacuum to judge the individual characteristics, especially since the character was revealed to me retroactively as opposed to people first being exposed to him in his debut.

Silver and cyan is a much more visually appealing color scheme for me, hence my preference.

Caladrius

EVEN SHORTERER EDIT( THANK SIMPSONS ) : Shadow is less Dark tracy in a fancy hat, more erica and in an exotic hat.

Sounds about right.

"Usually", because there's no defending Genesis or Chronicles.

Genesis doesn't have a soundtrack.

It's a live recording of the gates to hell.

Ey up Sonic-GAF. I just joined NeoGAF after quite a long time lurking and just thought I would pop in to say hi.

Welcome!

I'd agree with Village that Shadow has some wide appeal for some reason, one that I don't get, but I've seen it from people who don't even follow the franchise at all. One of my friends hasn't really played that much stuff other than 3/Heroes/Generations, and he likes Shadow as a character.
Maybe because he likes Vegeta in DBZ as well, so the appeal is probably from that trope.
I think under more competent writing I'd probably be fine with Shadow, since while his design is basically EVIL SONIC (which the series had already done at that point anyway), he still looks fine visually and a ton of other light-hearted series can play gloomy but strong outcast types well. Zuko in Avatar comes to mind.

They need to cut back on making him grim and have him more being a slightly dickish anti-hero who lacks self-awareness, which helps him contrast Sonic who's meant to be a wisecracking but entirely good-natured ass.

Hi Ryan / Blaze / NeoGAF username SEGA1991 (which would you prefer?). I remember seeing you here while I was lurking :). How are things at the website?

Call me whatever. Most people around here who know me have taken to calling me Blaze. I've considered getting my GAF name changed to that but that takes effort and I'm not so sure it would be better or worse than Sega1991.

Things are going about as well as we could expect. We're still doing pretty well. Getting a bit too big for our britches, actually - the site's been kind of sluggish because we have so many people visiting the site. I think Tristan said he's looking in to an upgrade soon so we have more room to breathe.

I just don't really like edgy as a defining character trait. You see shadow's colors, you think edgy. You hear his voice, you think edgy. You read his goddamn name, you think edgy. Although that might be because there is already the stigma. I can't really put myself into a vacuum to judge the individual characteristics, especially since the character was revealed to me retroactively as opposed to people first being exposed to him in his debut.

Silver and cyan is a much more visually appealing color scheme for me, hence my preference.

My issue is that Shadow the Hedgehog is such a trope. He's Sonic's Vegeta, Sephiroth, and Sasuke all rolled in to one. The angry, dark, brooding, all-powerful, mysterious character.

He was good for his one redemption arc in Sonic Adventure 2 (which in retrospect is kind of a fucking jumble of barely-explained nonsense) and their excuse to bring him back was flimsy and stupid.

Tizoc

Is lost world whats hot in the streets right now?

Question, if they ever have a character their own book again, would you all read a knuckles and choatix book, I would.

Ian Flynn is a big fan of the Chaotix, so if its their own wacky adventures then I'd def. be in so long as Ian is writing it. Heck so long as the author can offer a good fun adventure to read I'm down.

These are adorable and awesome.

Caladrius

What is so bad about Sonic Genesis or Chronicle's soundtrack?

Sonic Genesis's soundtrack suffers from extremely bad porting. The soundtrack sounds far worse than the Genesis version despite the GBA having sound hardware of roughly the same quality.

Comparison: GBA Genesis

Chronicles' is generally pretty lazy and accentuates the problems with the low-end Nintendo DS sound card.

Top Bottom