• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Tizoc

Why haven't any of you shmucks gotten Freedom Planet yet? You all grabbed Shovel Knight for 8-bit Dark Souls-like nostalgia, now jump into this for 16-bit Genesis nostalgia.

Why haven't any of you shmucks gotten Freedom Planet yet? You all grabbed Shovel Knight for 8-bit Dark Souls-like nostalgia, now jump into this for 16-bit Genesis nostalgia.

Because I'm STILL working on a Mario Kart 8 video review and games are piling up. I bought Shovel Knight for the Wii U and haven't even booted it up once!

I'll get around to buying it once I get clear of some more stuff

HUELEN10

It's not out for a platform I own yet, that's why. Not port-begging, just telling the truth. Igbo owned something that played it, I would get it.

Indeed, at times my own life feels rather Dark Souls-esque.
So I suppose when it's also a touch disappointing it's like Dark Souls 2.

I'm broke and my bank account is overdrawn until I get paid on Friday (thanks Vegas and Evo!). My life is kinda like Dark Souls right now too, I suppose.

That one time I still had an hour and a half of work left and desperately needed to poop was probably the most like Dark Souls anything's ever been.
Ah but when you finally overcame this trial it must've come with DS levels of satisfaction
There's a poop themed riff on "you defeated" in here somewhere, think it sounds better in my head.

You don't own a computer?
In my case I no longer trust my laptop to run most things without turning into a whirring crotch warmer, which is to say in this respect I kind of consider myself to not have a computer to play games on at least.
I do think the game looks interesting so my eye is on it at least.

I'm broke and my bank account is overdrawn until I get paid on Friday (thanks Vegas and Evo!). My life is kinda like Dark Souls right now too, I suppose.

On Friday I'm facing the boss I just can't defeat, "Interviewer, Guardian of the vacant position".
Already faced the dastard twice this month, I feel like i'm so close to finally triumphing only to then do the equivalent of forgetting the correct way to roll when they pull out their dick move, I'll best that deadly attack yet, when they ask what's my greatest achievement? well I'll reply with the ultimate triumph, I beat Dark Souls!

Tizoc

It's not out for a platform I own yet, that's why. Not port-begging, just telling the truth. Igbo owned something that played it, I would get it.

The game shouldn't be too hard to run on even a non-gaming computer unless you run it Mac or Linux which I assume wasn't released for those platforms?

Falk

that puzzling face
Actually MMF2 is a pretty finicky beast. Best bet would be to just grab the demo and see how it runs.

Tizoc

I know I can them in .OGG, but I want them to put up the Freedom Planet OST soon, the soundtrack is freaking amazing.

If I get banned, just know that I love you all.

Except JC because he ain't shit.

...well ok, JC too

We love too you Beef. I'll fire up Sonic Adventure 2 and keep throwing Chaos around in your memory.
...but seriously guys stay the fuck away from any Sonic thread on GAF that isn't this one, it's safer for your mental health.

HUELEN10

Seriously guys stay the fuck away from any Sonic thread on GAF that isn't this one, it's safer for your mental health.

I honestly haven't been in the community thread much...

Honestly, I don't get it and it is kinda intimidating; so much of the talk is non-Sonic, and I fear it is derailing and therefore bannable to participate in it.

If anything, isn't it better to seek the other threads? I don't really understand the rules for this thread in all honest, and I really would like to, you know, get more involved and such.

Hell, the Sonic Community thread is the only reason I'm here right now!

If anything, isn't it better to seek the other threads?

The other threads are going to be full of terrible "Sonic games haven't been good in forever", "lol Sonic Cycle mirite guys!?", etc., etc. guff from people who haven't touched the series in forever and probably have no more interest in it than being able to regurgitate those "Sonic sucks" 'talking points'. There is no reasonable discussion to be had in them.

There's a lot of off-topic stuff in this thread (because really, there isn't much going on about Sonic most of the time), but it's also where all the best actual Sonic talk is.

This thread was made so people can talk about Sonic stuff without having to deal with the mouthbreathers who would rather regurgitate shitty memes or talk about how the older games were amazing despite not having touched the series since the Dreamcast launched.

There are dry periods of course, regarding Sonic news, but that's to be expected. Like I say in most other threads: if you've got a topic you wanna discuss, then by all means bring it up!

Tizoc

Incidently enough, who are the new Sonic Boom characters revealed?
I still referto that last character they announced is Marine, or Marine's Boom expy.

BHZ Mayor

I honestly haven't been in the community thread much...

Honestly, I don't get it and it is kinda intimidating; so much of the talk is non-Sonic, and I fear it is derailing and therefore bannable to participate in it.

If anything, isn't it better to seek the other threads? I don't really understand the rules for this thread in all honest, and I really would like to, you know, get more involved and such.

Hell, the Sonic Community thread is the only reason I'm here right now!

We actually had a bit of a back and forth with the mods about this. And this,

This thread was made so people can talk about Sonic stuff without having to deal with the mouthbreathers who would rather regurgitate shitty memes or talk about how the older games were amazing despite not having touched the series since the Dreamcast launched.

There are dry periods of course, regarding Sonic news, but that's to be expected. Like I say in most other threads: if you've got a topic you wanna discuss, then by all means bring it up!

pretty much covers why this thread goes off-topic so often. That plus the fact that community threads seem to be the only place to have good discussion about anything these days.

Village

I know I can them in .OGG, but I want them to put up the Freedom Planet OST soon, the soundtrack is freaking amazing.

We love too you Beef. I'll fire up Sonic Adventure 2 and keep throwing Chaos around in your memory.
...but seriously guys stay the fuck away from any Sonic thread on GAF that isn't this one, it's safer for your mental health.

Horrible , should be a crime.

As far as sanic threads go, yeah it sucks. You wanna know what gets my goat though, every character design for a character that does not look happy, egdy 14 year old mess. You can't be in another thread praising some egdy shit, and then we show you a cartoon shark, and shit has gone way too far. I'm sorry, i'll stop that just annoys me.

As far as treasure planet goes, I have not been able to get into it , the character designs aren't really clicking with me. Not edgy, enough needs a ninja character with guns and spikes thats black and yellow and yells out expletives and designed by Namura to get my sale./s
But seriously something with the character designs... aren't... they aren't working for me. And character design is kind of important to me, I get really worked up over character designs.

Caladrius

Horrible , should be a crime.

As far as sanic threads go, yeah it sucks. You wanna know what gets my goat though, every character design for a character that does not look happy, egdy 14 year old mess. You can't be in another thread praising some egdy shit, and then we show you a cartoon shark, and shit has gone way too far. I'm sorry, i'll stop that just annoys me.

That's always irritated the shit out of me. It's juvenile posturing in its pettiest form.

Kart94

Banned
So i am just played through Sonic's and Amy's part in Sonic Adventure..I think Sonic Adventure's story captures more of the cheesy Saturday Morning vibe than what Sonic Colors or Sonic Lost World tried to do.

anyway, Big sucks. why can't he just grab the frog out of the pool :p

BlackJace

Yeah, the series has quite a lot of stinkers, but I still hold it in high regards.

Unfortunately, the hardest hurdle for the fan base to get over, perception-wise, is the creepy, furry, autistic (by far the most disrespectful label) stigma.

I always feel tempted to go into those threads and drudge up instances of posters regurgitating memes engaging in loli anime crap discussion.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
So i am just played through Sonic's and Amy's part in Sonic Adventure..I think Sonic Adventure's story captures more of the cheesy Saturday Morning vibe than what Sonic Colors or Sonic Lost World tried to do.

anyway, Big sucks. why can't he just grab the frog out of the pool :p

SA1 and SA2 are super vintage cheese to me, but I think the weird part is that Colors and Lost world are trying to do it while I get the feeling that the Adventure series was trying to take itself way more seriously. I'd rather them try to go for cheesy goofiness, so I'm glad for the change in direction though.

Also, there's something stupidly charming about the backround music overpowering the Voice Actors and dialogue in the adventure games.

Kart94

Banned
SA1 and SA2 are super vintage cheese to me, but I think the weird part is that Colors and Lost world are trying to do it while I get the feeling that the Adventure series was trying to take itself way more seriously. I'd rather them try to go for cheesy goofiness, so I'm glad for the change in direction though.

Also, there's something stupidly charming about the backround music overpowering the Voice Actors and dialogue in the adventure games.

Well i think Sonic Adventure 2 is kind of the game that started the series' downfall during the mid 00s. It was more serious than Adventure 1 *not in a good way i think*, and the flaws of both Adventure games just festered and eventually accuminated to the mess called Sonic 06.

Anyway, i think Sonic colors was kind of lame in story *But then again, Sonic and Mario's stories are barely good* If Sonic 06' s story was too overly serious, Sonic colors
s story was too overly kiddy.

Razzer

I think of Adventure 1 as the type of game that was trying to still be cheesy and light hearted with some cool lore on the side like many things aimed at children do, then 2 took that side of things and made it the focus. That may not be what happened at all but it's how I took it.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
Well i think Sonic Adventure 2 is kind of the game that started the series' downfall during the mid 00s. It was more serious than Adventure 1 *not in a good way i think*, and the flaws of both Adventure games just festered and eventually accuminated to the mess called Sonic 06.

Anyway, i think Sonic colors was kind of lame in story *But then again, Sonic and Mario's stories are barely good* If Sonic 06' s story was too overly serious, Sonic colors
s story was too overly kiddy.

Yeah, I'll take my statement back. SA2 was significantly more serious. It's fumbling while trying to be serious is probably what makes me feel like it's just as cheesy as it's more light hearted predecessor.

I only played the DS version of Colors, so I can't say how I feel on it's story. Not that current cutscenes are painfully unfunny or anything, but they really do need funnier writers.

Kart94

Banned
You know what...I just had enough of Big's Fishing garbage! It is just too luck based for me. Whose bright idea at Sega was it to add fish to a sonic game?! Uh! i am just going to go to Tails now. I don't even care anymore if i don't get to fight
Final Choas
I can do that in Sonic Generations anyway.

You know what...I just had enough of Big's Fishing garbage! It is just too luck based for me. Whose bright idea at Sega was it to add fish to a sonic game?! Uh! i am just going to go to Tails now. I don't even care anymore if i don't get to fight
Final Choas

if you do that you'll never be able to live and learn the secret of the Echidnas and Tails' great line about how well it all ended

Final Choas

Wasn't it an attempt to sell the fishing controller that the dreamcast launched with? In defense of Big, at least his levels are the fewest and shortest.

I'm glad the series has cut back on the number of characters appearing in every game. They've done a good job with having secondary characters appear, but not be crucial to the story or that present. Generations also did a great job including a good many of them.

Kart94

Banned
Off-topic, but i feel much better now i seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. oh boy, what a great movie. The New Planet of the Apes series is one of the best reboots by a long shot. If only Godzilla was even half as good as Dawn was.

Tizoc

Off-topic, but i feel much better now i seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. oh boy, what a great movie. The New Planet of the Apes series is one of the best reboots by a long shot. If only Godzilla was even half as good as Dawn was.
I liked Godzilla 2014 but agree that he needed to show up more.
Watching rise and guardians by next week hopefully.

Kart94

Banned
I liked Godzilla 2014 but agree that he needed to show up more.
Watching rise and guardians by next week hopefully.

Rise of the Planet of The Apes is a good movie as well. (does anyone know if the Mark Walhberg Planet of the Apes movie is good?)

Yeah i think the new Godzilla was for all intentions, crap. It was just a boring slog with some one cinemas most boring and forgettable characters. The only interesting person in the film, Walter White's character
Dies halfway
the only thing good about it was Godzilla himself and the fight scenes.

Anyway, I think Age of Extinction is sort of an underrated movie. It is no Winter Solider, but it is the only Transformers movie that i had fun with bar the long length.

Phil S.

Banned
Yeah, I tend to gravitate away from Gaming side Sonic threads. I also don't bother with sales-age stuff, as that's just console wars nonsense that just drives a wedge between groups of gamers instead of bringing us together, which the hobby should do. Bring us together, that is, not drive a wedge between everyone, just to clarify.

Wii Sports Club releases today, so I'm hoping to be able to get it. It'll be fun playing with Bean!

Regiruler

Yeah, I'll take my statement back. SA2 was significantly more serious. It's fumbling while trying to be serious is probably what makes me feel like it's just as cheesy as it's more light hearted predecessor.

I only played the DS version of Colors, so I can't say how I feel on it's story. Not that current cutscenes are painfully unfunny or anything, but they really do need funnier writers.
Wii version of colors had drastically superior writing.

Kart94

Banned
Because this time they're supposed to be two different games rather than the console version remade for DS/3DS.

Weren't the console verisons and the handheld verisons of Sonic Generations, Colors, and Lost World different games from each other?

Weren't the console verisons and the handheld verisons of Sonic Generations, Colors, and Lost World different games from each other?
Yes, they're generally mechanically totally different games. That said, ostensibly they tell the same story, so you could play one version in lieu of the other and get the gist of what happened there. The 3DS/Wii U Boom games don't even share that much.

TimmiT

Yes, they're generally mechanically totally different games. That said, ostensibly they tell the same story, so you could play one version in lieu of the other and get the gist of what happened there. The 3DS/Wii U Boom games don't even share that much.

Aside from Generations, the handheld versions also have the same worlds as the console versions. And in the case of Sonic Boom they're also advertised as two different games.

Top Bottom