• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Kart94

Banned
Sonic Genesis's soundtrack suffers from extremely bad porting. The soundtrack sounds far worse than the Genesis version despite the GBA having sound hardware of roughly the same quality.

Comparison: GBA Genesis

Chronicles' is generally pretty lazy and accentuates the problems with the low-end Nintendo DS sound card.

That GBA Green Hill Zone song is awful. and this is the same system that had games with good soundtrack such as Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Now i'm going to wash my ear drums with music from pokemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Ne483lQCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjphkDCRk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKVrafnnu0Y

Anth0ny

What is so bad about Sonic Genesis or Chronicle's soundtrack?

shaqohhpnjzv.gif

First time in a while I went and endured at least a minute of the audio carnage, 45 secs to around 56 is something truly special, those two beeps to close things out of that timespan are classic.

Kart94

Banned
ok i am now playing Sonic Adventure on my ps3 because i remember liking the game and because it was cheap....and is up with the freaking borders? Marvel vs. Capcom 2 didn't have them, and Jet set Radio didn't had them either.

These Sonic Adventure 1 ports are trash. The PC port was also horrendous.
Are you talking about the Steam version? That's a port of the Xbox 360 port of the PC port of the GC port of the DC original!

Yes, it's a PC port of a console port of a PC version, instead of just using that PC version. At least Sonic Adventure 2's port is more direct.

Tizoc

Are you talking about the Steam version? That's a port of the Xbox 360 port of the PC port of the GC port of the DC original!

Yes, it's a PC port of a console port of a PC version, instead of just using that PC version. At least Sonic Adventure 2's port is more direct.

SA1 on PSN/PS3 is a good port IMO.

Tizoc

If you like letterboxed 640x480 resolution, sure (and, at least on the 360, occasional framerate problems)

Meanwhile, in the 2004 PC release...

szqCEr1.png

Heh well I meant performance-wise it ran good IMO. The 4:3 letterbox didn't bother me much.

SA1 xbla/psn port was hot garbage, terrible, TERRIBLE! I still can't believe how shit it was when a PC port was made 10 years ago with better quality and can run widescreen with a few value tweaks.

Sega redeemed themselves with SA2 at least, that version was amazing.

Sonic 3D: Flickies Island is a pretty decent Flicky game.

You can put the Sonic R disc in a CD player and listen to the soundtrack.

to add to this, you can play Sonic Jam and walk around that 3D map and be like "heh is is pretty neat in a 1997 kind of way. also this game is named sonic jam goddamn this is 90s as fuck"

I actually like Sonic R <_<

Like, not just the soundtrack, the actual game. It's too easy to break, too short, and the controls are not exactly ideal, but I still have fun with it every now and then.

Anyway, the obvious answer to "best Sonic game on the Saturn" is NiGHTS and Burning Rangers, of course

I actually like Sonic R <_<

Like, not just the soundtrack, the actual game. It's too easy to break, too short, and the controls are not exactly ideal, but I still have fun with it every now and then.

Nah, I like it too, but it's not really a game I'd recommend to others and in terms of the Saturn version specifically its functionality as an audio cd is really the only thing it has over Sonic Gems.

So that is what it is that is causing the boarders?

Yes. For whatever reason, whoever ported the game for Sega decided that keeping it in its original 640x480 resolution and then stretching it up to 720p and letterboxing it was the correct way to do things.

IMElvJn.jpg

Thankfully, their second wave of releases (NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 2) were native 720p (or, if you're on the PC, as high as your computer can support).

Kart94

Banned
Yes. For whatever reason, whoever ported the game for Sega decided that keeping it in its original 640x480 resolution and then stretching it up to 720p and letterboxing it was the correct way to do things.

IMElvJn.jpg

Thankfully, their second wave of releases (NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 2) were native 720p (or, if you're on the PC, as high as your computer can support).

Alright thanks. I was not sure what it is. It is not too big a deal. *I can deal with Sonic adventure and all it's late 90s early 00s 3d video gameisms* but the boarders struck me as odd and lazy.

Anyway, so this Ryan Drummond guy responsible for all the Sonic Voice conterversy eh? I am not too impressed with his voice acting so far *well i am playing Sonic Adventure. perhaps he gets better in Adventure 2* I don't really see what was the big deal with him and Jason Griffith or whatever

TheOGB

Banned
The problem was that they got replaced right after they finally fell into their groove. The original VAs were sounding pretty good by Heroes and Battle and Advance 3, but then they got booted for the 4kids cast. Then the 4kids crew got replaced once they started sounding good in Unleashed.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
I like all three Sonic VA's equally, although whenever I think of Griffith I just think about how he was only there during the worst of the 3D games for the most part. Which is unfair, I know. Any good that he did during that time is kind of soured by the 06 cutscenes.

I tend to remember him for "YOU'RE TOO SLOOOOOOOOOOW" and "C'MON, STEP IT UP" and "NOW I'LL SHOW YOU! HUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH" more than anything else, really.

While I was never a fan of Jason Griffith's performance as Sonic, he certainly did improve as time went on. Unleashed was his best work, I'll give him that.

Mike Pollock however has been hitting it out of the park since for most of his time as Eggman (save for instances it was wobbly because of Sonic X's Japanese script)...even he wasn't putting his best effort in 06.

on a related note, I'm disappointed that Kate Higgins got replaced as Tails, she actually did a decent job in the short time she was on board. I don't mind her upcoming replacement Colleen O'Shaughnessey, but I guess it's how they(SEGA and many other companies that work with recording studios) operate...at least she's voicing Sailor Mercury in the new Viz Dub of Sailor Moon and Crystal.

Top Bottom