• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Anyways...

I just played Sonic 2 on my girlfriends ipad

Why can't they just release it on consoles already? these controls are PAINFUL. Taxman pls =(
If the inevitable Wii U/PS4/Xbox One ports of these games aren't based on the iOS versions I will be so goddamn disappointed

Hell just do a new Mega Collection with S1-3K, CD, and the two Adventure games (SA1 upgraded in the same way SA2 was, hopefully with plenty of bug fixes). Put that out for like $30 and watch the Benjamins roll in. Feels like it's been a while since Sega has done a compilation type deal like that

BHZ Mayor

I noticed you guys were talking about the original Spyro game last night, and it just so happens that I started on it last night, but let me just say, if the Supercharge ramps continue to play a role, I may not be able to see it through. I've gotten like five game overs just from those alone.

BHZ Mayor

Ok, so I've figured out the supercharge jump and I'm past that world now, but the Dream Weavers world? That
lack of
framerate. My God.

TimmiT

Dario you magnificent bastard.
BuDRNbAIEAE503P.png:large

Doesn't the 3DS version have them on the Results Screen? GIS isn't helping at the sec.

Edit: I was on mobile and didn't notice the cel-shading, whoops. I thought the flowers were added.

Falk

that puzzling face
your toaster laptop cant even run freedom planet

edit: Nevermind I'm blind and get tricked by avatars

Forget Wind Waker, this looks a -lot- like Lost World.

Razzer

your toaster laptop cant even run freedom planet

edit: Nevermind I'm blind and get tricked by avatars

Forget Wind Waker, this looks a -lot- like Lost World.

I was thinking the same thing. It's like, a little bit in between the two styles (LW and Gens). I like it, more than LW style actually.

BHZ Mayor

That cel-shading is beautiful. Now I want a official game like that.

Side note: I beat Spyro, and let me just say, Gnasty Gnorc may be the worst, most anti-climactic final boss I've ever played. Rest of the game was pretty good barring the occasional pixel-perfect jumps.

Sciz

The archie comics actually adapted Gamma's death, by making it tie in to Omega being free of Eggman's control (IIRC)

I never liked that, either. Made for a worse ending to Gamma's story and an unnecessary one to start Omega's.

Tizoc

I didn't mind the adaptation of Gamma in the comics, although I would have liked to see more of him, but would not bother investing in pre-Ian era...

Part of the reason I don't have A link between worlds include
1- The main region for 3DS games in mi country is US
2- Even if a retailer sells the EU ver., it wouldn't be cheap since its a big retailer shop
3- I am waiting for it to be sold for cheap thru a UK retailer

I should explore #3 again...

HUELEN10

honestly, i wouldn't have even cared if we got a new one or not. the Sonic 4 game pales in comparison to the original 3 games..
It's not fair to compare one game to three (you did say the Sonic 4 game). The best comparison, and only fair comparison, you could make is of the Sonic 3 saga (3 and sonic & knuckles) to the Sonic 4 saga (CD, ep 1, ep Metal, ep 2).

Honestly, as a whole package, I'd have to say 4 wins, hands down (That CD and ep 2, so damned good...).

TimmiT

It's not fair to compare one game to three (you did say the Sonic 4 game). The best comparison, and only fair comparison, you could make is of the Sonic 3 saga (3 and sonic & knuckles) to the Sonic 4 saga (CD, ep 1, ep Metal, ep 2).

Honestly, as a whole package, I'd have to say 4 wins, hands down (That CD and ep 2, so damned good...).

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best Sonic game. Sonic CD is overrated and all of Sonic 4 is just decent at best. This is fact and is something that cannot be argued against.

TimmiT

I think that CD is a good game as well, I just don't think it's as good as I hear people say it is. I'd put it above Sonic 1 (which I don't really like), but I wouldn't put it near Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles either.

I am presently in the land of Eng-.

Visiting Cheltenham after 15 years away is weird. So much has changed. The Disney Store is now an HMV. Hagen-Dasz is now a FreshBake (or whatever that's called). GAME moved to the other side of High Street. Regent Arcade is MUCH thinner. Tesco's interior is totally rearranged - I see now what BritGAF means about it selling games and such, but I swear up and down it didn't in '99. My brother finds it totally insane that the games section is literally naught but Sony and Microsoft, that Tesco must be mad to not want a piece of the Smash Bros. action; I think it hurts more to know just how badly Nintendo had been selling here to warrant no longer carrying it.

London was okay. Shitload of walking, though. Definitely got sunburned. Still, got to see Wicked for the first time (despite being all too familiar with the music thereof), which was nice. The day after started bad (Tube delay made us late for the Thames tour bus down by the Eye; they let us on to the next boat an hour later - or would, if there weren't problems with the intercom in the lower deck rendering the boat a safety hazard that needed prompt repairs, meaning said next boat was cancelled). Still, found a nice pub that did amazing cheesy garlic bread, did a double-decker bus tour (where I got said sunburn), FINALLY got a later boat, and capped it off with a ride on the (mildly overrated but still beautiful-view-enabling) London Eye. Shame we wound up back at the hotel so late, though (10PM, and without any dinner, egh). Also had some embarrassment at the local Tesco Express, thinking I'd given the cashier 60p when I'd only actually given him 30p. That one's going to bother me for a while.

Something else kind of funny... I was getting tired of being on the Tube and various buses while in London the three days prior, as those had a tendency to throw me off-balance a lot. However, seeing my aging father driving this rental stick shift is more frightening; lots of stalling out followed by sudden acceleration, drifting left ever so slightly on the motorways... frightening in more ways than one; there's the obvious reasons, of course, but Dad's got cataracts, had colon cancer, and fears he has the onset of dimentia; I worry that some of that is being exemplified here.

Anyway, I saw Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing physical copy for the PC at WHSmith. It's nice how you all have so much better support for physical PC releases that we do these days. I swear that one was digital only in the US, console versions notwithstanding.

Kart94

Banned
I am probably too curious for my own too good, but i borrowed Sonic Genesis for GBA from a friend. I will try to see if it is as bad as reviewers say it is.

Edit: This is the absolute worst game i have ever played in my entire life!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If Sonic GBA is the worst game you've played in your life, you've gotta play more games. I've gained an odd reputation of being one of the Kusoge Queens on this site for some reason.

I wrote a tome for Nocturnowl's sustenance. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868211

Going back to the Sonic CD talk, I like it, but a lot of people don't because a lot of the areas are fairly inhibiting and it encourages exploration and trial/error as opposed to general flow. As Sciz said years ago, its level influence is clearly Spring Yard Zone.

We've discussed how shitty Wacky Workbench can be for time travel if you don't know the route, for example, from observing the level map.

Phil S.

Banned
Eep! I am a member now! I'm more nervous now that I made my first topic!

Anyway, Kart94, if you haven't played the 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog, then that would trump Sonic GBA for me as a worse Sonic game.

I wrote a tome for Nocturnowl's sustenance. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868211.

Already devoured, odds are I'm never going to play the game but hey it's still worth a read.
I actually have a LttP ready to drop but I felt the need to put something else in between yet another thread of that nature so to bridge the gap I talk about CLAWS, a more successful outing than I ever expected, so far there's no Omega mind you, of all the things to have claws in Sonic it's not the animals, it's a robot.

Ah Wacky Workbench, how I remember thinking "well that wasn't so bad" when just running to the exit, then there was amassing enough rings and keeping them to reach the special stage, that's when I realised that the level design was right to be disparaged.
Also that generator hidden by a flippin' crusher, that secret placement is like the worst of DKC1 tier.

Kart94

Banned
If Sonic GBA is the worst game you've played in your life, you've gotta play more games. I've gained an odd reputation of being one of the Kusoge Queens on this site for some reason.

I wrote a tome for Nocturnowl's sustenance. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868211

Going back to the Sonic CD talk, I like it, but a lot of people don't because a lot of the areas are fairly inhibiting and it encourages exploration and trial/error as opposed to general flow. As Sciz said years ago, its level influence is clearly Spring Yard Zone.

We've discussed how shitty Wacky Workbench can be for time travel if you don't know the route, for example, from observing the level map.

Actually now that i think about it...i did play one and used to have of those Arcade Popcorn hackjobs named Offroad Extreme as a birthday gift
needless to say, a week after i got it, i traded it in for a real game: Pokemon HeartGold

Anth0ny

I have a hard time differentiating between most disappointing game and worst game.

Like, I can't really get that mad at Sonic 1 GBA, because I can always just turn that off and play the real version on my Genesis. Like this is just some botched port, it's crazy bad, I grind through it, whatever.

Then there's something like Resident Evil 6. A fucking mainline Resident Evil game and it's complete dogshit. How do you even release that to the public. Hell, to make it Sonic related, look at Sonic 4. Probably not "worse" than Sonic 1 GBA, but I walk away from those games far more pissed off than I ever would from Sonic 1 GBA.

Top Bottom