• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

TimmiT

The Gamecube controller is pretty great. I'm glad that they're gonna release new ones and make them compatible with the Wii U.

Kart94

Banned
Hopefully Mario Kart 8 or the new Smash Bros game is gamecube compataible. this might push me to get a Wii U over a PS4.

lol anyway, does anyone have a Backloggery account?

BlackJace

Hopefully Mario Kart 8 or the new Smash Bros game is gamecube compataible. this might push me to get a Wii U over a PS4.

lol anyway, does anyone have a Backloggery account?

Nintendo announced a Smash-branded Gamecube controller and adapter awhile back.

They know what's up.

TimmiT

Yeah, it seems like the reason for why they're making new Gamecube controllers and the adapters is because it's the preferred controller for Smash Bros.

WillyFive

Yeah, it seems like the reason for why they're making new Gamecube controllers and the adapters is because it's the preferred controller for Smash Bros.

Yep, for tournament play at least, where wireless controllers are a nuisance and most competitive players are already used to playing Melee all the time.

Dario ff

Banned
Heyo. We're doing the final part of our Sonic Unleashed stream with Boom Knuckles in about 2 hours over here. (Finished) We prepared a lot of stuff for this one, including a brand new level layout for Jungle Joyride Day. We'll also have live-commentary for the first time.

Anth0ny

It would be crazy if they restricted the GC controller to Smash Bros exclusively. It should be compatible with Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8... the list goes on. All Virtual Console games, too.

Kart94

Banned
If Mario Kart 8 has Gamecube combatiblity i'll buy it in a heart beat. I played Mario Kart 8 in a friend's house and i love it. If only Sonic Transformed was half as good as it, Mario Kart 7 or even the original. "I wanted to love that game so much too"

Oh yeah, if you guys didn't know, the Sonic Amateur Games Expo has been going on. I wrote a bunch of stuff for it.

Day 2: Havok Harbor, Sonic Adventure Emerald, Sonic Mega Drive, Spark the Electric Jester
Day 4: Blue Spheres Madness, Sonic MAX, Sonic vs. Darkness, Tails' Nightmare 3, Sonic the Hedgehog 3D
Day 6: SonicGDK, Sonic World, Sonic Black Ace, Sonic Game Land

Quite a lot of stand-out games, I feel. Havok Harbor, Sonic Mega Drive, Sonic vs. Darkness and Sonic World are all particularly interesting for various reasons. Another writer, Louis Balzani, also handled the other days:

Day 1: Sonic Edge of Darkness, Sonic Souls, Sonic 4 Remastered, Sonic Overture
Day 3: Bingo the Multiva, Sonic Dynamo, Sonic: Blue Blur, Sonic Quickstep Challenge
Day 5: Sonic Generations Fangame, Sonic World Remix, Sonic Time Twisted, Sonic Speed Fighters, Sega Brawlers Megamix, Digimon Heroic Battle Spirit

Village

If Mario Kart 8 has Gamecube combatiblity i'll buy it in a heart beat. I played Mario Kart 8 in a friend's house and i love it. If only Sonic Transformed was half as good as it, Mario Kart 7 or even the original. "I wanted to love that game so much too"

You don't understand how hype I would be if there were multiple reasons to have kept my GCN controllers for this long.

I got 4. In decent condition.

Kart94

Banned
You don't understand how hype I would be if there were multiple reasons to have kept my GCN controllers for this long.

I got 4. In decent condition.

Yes i have some as well....uh it makes me remember playing Paper Mario Thousand Year door and Mario Kart Double Dash.

lol anyway. I am kind of on a racing game buzz. Sonic Riders is still kind of fun, though it could do without reusing the enviroments twice, but slightly different. Sonic Transformed...ehhh the more i play it, the more i begin to dislike it, espically compared to Mario Kart 8.

Village

Is it just cartoony racers?

If not I have some to recommended if you are interested.

I really, like racing games, like alot.

WillyFive

Amazing review. Especially the use of animation.

Yeah, I love MK8, but it seems that it was made in a vacuum were not even past Mario Kart games (like MKDS, which is the high point thus far for the series) existed, and didn't even bother to try to live up to those games. Outside of graphics, Sonic Transformed still has it beat in almost everything I can think of.

Kart94

Banned
I completely disagree with anyone saying that Sonic Transformed is better than Mario Kar 8. the only thing Sonic Transformed has Mario Kart 8 beat is single player. Everything else though, it is a curb stomp in favor of Mario Kart 8. Better tracks,superior multiplayer inspite the terrible battle modes which honestly i could careless about, a much better polished game. *Sonic Transformed online is a physics mess*, and smooth controls. Sonic Transformed would have been much better had it tried to just improve on the original, but instead it would rather try to "innovate" even though the boats and the planes controlled terribly.

Also while we're on the subject of racing games and reviews of mine, I produced a video review for Mario Kart 8 and it took me FOREVER to finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fp-tM1-Dj8

Nice work, not much for me to dispute here, the single player offerings are still unusually slim pickings and I hadn't really picked up on how the time trial mode had stepped back from previous game.
Which is a shame as despite my issues with the item balance (mid pack mushroom madness, all race, every race!) it's the best playing entry in the series with the best track selection, it sort of is the best Mario Kart at its core but DS still feels more fully featured and complete.

Its the best lookin', best playing version of Mario Kart yet, with some of its best tracks...but good lord would it kill them to not rehash the same fuckin' GP/time trial modes for 20 years. Feature list so barebones they have to patch in basic online shit like W-L record(!) and saving prior kart customization(!!) instead of picking it individually every single time.

Kart94

Banned
you know today, i actually just played a game i forgot i even had
Pac-Man_World_Rally_Coverart.png

After playing all 15 tracks, i remembered why i forgot i had it. Uh. Ridge Racer Type 4 was a fun game. Why couldn't this game be fun like Ridge Racer?

Anyway, anyone ever tried those Arcade Mario Kart games?

WillyFive

I completely disagree with anyone saying that Sonic Transformed is better than Mario Kar 8. the only thing Sonic Transformed has Mario Kart 8 beat is single player. Everything else though, it is a curb stomp in favor of Mario Kart 8. Better tracks,superior multiplayer inspite the terrible battle modes which honestly i could careless about, a much better polished game. *Sonic Transformed online is a physics mess*, and smooth controls. Sonic Transformed would have been much better had it tried to just improve on the original, but instead it would rather try to "innovate" even though the boats and the planes controlled terribly.

I don't agree at all. The boats and planes controlled perfectly fine, and I don't see why Sonic's tracks would be inferior. And Transformed was an amazing improvement over the original; something Mario Kart hasn't really done for it's own series (outside of visuals) since the DS game.

Kart94

Banned
I don't agree at all. The boats and planes controlled perfectly fine, and I don't see why Sonic's tracks would be inferior. And Transformed was an amazing improvement over the original; something Mario Kart hasn't really done for it's own series (outside of visuals) since the DS game.

the awful Burning Rangers track that is too narrow and where some crazy ass the ramp let's me pass when it felt like, that golden Axe track where you slam into the snake's head, the Billy Hatcher track, the original tracks where they doing don't even do anything with them unlike Mario Kart *though that might be a good thing for me*, and that Outrun track.

WillyFive

the awful Burning Rangers track that is too narrow and where some crazy ass the ramp let's me pass when it felt like, that golden Axe track where you slam into the snake's head, the Billy Hatcher track, the original tracks where they doing don't even do anything with them unlike Mario Kart *though that might be a good thing for me*, and that Outrun track.

Uh.....I don't understand any of those complaints; unless you mean it's easy to fly off the track and need to be placed back in the race by the game, in which case that's something that happens just as much in Mario Kart as it does in Sonic. Just as how a wrongly placed drift will send your car flying off the edge in MK8, not slowing down fast enough on a turn will send your car do likewise in Sonic.

I think the returning track selection from All Stars was lame though; there were some great tracks in the original, and they picked some of the least good ones to return in Transformed.

I will never get the hate for Burning Depths aside from the boat sections (since the boat controls are kid of terrible). There's so many drift boost opportunities in the stage, it's ridiculous.

Going to play the Metal Gear franchise for the first time this week. Bought the legacy collection. Hadn't tried them before because I stray away from stealth based games.

Did I make a huge mistake, and will now be falling down a rabbit hole of ridiculousness?

Anth0ny

Going to play the Metal Gear franchise for the first time this week. Bought the legacy collection. Hadn't tried them before because I stray away from stealth based games.

Did I make a huge mistake, and will now be falling down a rabbit hole of ridiculousness?

don't think too hard about the plot

enjoy MGS 1-3 for what they are, three of the greatest games ever made.

especially 3. god damn what a game.

Sciz

If you can put up with old-ass 8-bit game design, it's well worth hitting up Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 first before diving into the Solids.

gelf

The "Rabbit hole of ridiculousness" is part of what makes MGS so good. Otherwise it would just be Splinter Cell.

Man Sonic Boom really looks to be the Noctunowl of this franchise

Even making small appearances in that Wii U 7 minute trailer made it look old and busted

I blame...Schala

Just the sort of blame game I'd expect from a gosh darn jungle badger.
But seeing its sorry state I'm almost ashamed at myself for giving Boom the benefit of the "lets see how this plays out" card for its initial reveal, I should've just embraced the jump to conclusions angle for once and dumped on it from the word go.

I will never get the hate for Burning Depths aside from the boat sections (since the boat controls are kid of terrible). There's so many drift boost opportunities in the stage, it's ridiculous.

I had to go replay it and remind myself why I was never really keen on this one, actually I think for the most part its simply that the 30fps console peasantry seems to hit harder in this stage more than any other, most of the track is fine with a few sharp turns near requiring memorization to deal with which I can let slide seeing as its the second to last track and I'm rusty as hell. There are a number of irritating collision based issues within Transformed and I do recall that one ramp deciding to just stall me to a full stop once myself.
I guess it also doesn't help coming after the GOAT that is Adder's Lair.

Kart94

Banned
so anyway, because is am clearing out some Backloggery stuff. I am replaying Darkstalkers Ressurection. these games are actually relatively easy to get into for mid 90s fighting games. reminds me why i like Darkstalkers over Street Fighter.

Anyway, Jon Talbain should have been in Marvel 3. He is cooler than Hsien-ko in anyway. oh and B.B. Hood was the best Darkstalker In Marvel 2.

That Rioku guy i don't like though, he seems too bulky and he is dumb looking.

Man Sonic Boom really looks to be the Noctunowl of this franchise

Even making small appearances in that Wii U 7 minute trailer made it look old and busted

I blame...Schala

I enjoyed Sonic getting damaged by wonky controls in a 20 second bit for a montage trailer. Even the trailer dudes couldn't play the game well

You should've known that giving Sonic Boom the slow burn treatment would lead to ruin, Owl.
I really should've, the slow burn never pans out, years of shitty wrasslin' booking supports this.

Owl's logic was straight up phooey, make me talk like Banjo Kazooie

Come now man, don't be absurd,
That's just not the bear or bird.
Who you're aping's plain to see;
none other than ol' Grunty.
Getting some deja vu here, though for whatever reason I'm incapable of finding the original Grunty posts from one of the older threads.
My fruitless search has at least has been nostalgic, boy we were all a lot happier back in those days.

so anyway, because is am clearing out some Backloggery stuff. I am replaying Darkstalkers Ressurection. these games are actually relatively easy to get into for mid 90s fighting games. reminds me why i like Darkstalkers over Street Fighter.

Anyway, Jon Talbain should have been in Marvel 3. He is cooler than Hsien-ko in anyway. oh and B.B. Hood was the best Darkstalker In Marvel 2.

That Rioku guy i don't like though, he seems too bulky and he is dumb looking.

I respect the hell out of Darkstaker's visual direction even if I can't play it for toffee.

Kart94

Banned
I really should've, the slow burn never pans out, years of shitty wrasslin' booking supports this.

Getting some deja vu here, though for whatever reason I'm incapable of finding the original Grunty posts from one of the older threads.
My fruitless search has at least has been nostalgic, boy we were all a lot happier back in those days.

I respect the hell out of Darkstaker's visual direction even if I can't play it for toffee.

lol my stragedy in fighting games is mash buttons and hope i can achieve in doing the hyper combos. Honestly, Marvel vs.Capcom and Super Smash Bros are my favorite fighting games series just cause i can easily do hyper combos and lack of complicated move sets. Many fighting games have that problem of making it too complicated in doing cool moves. That is probably why i perfer the 3ds verison of Street Fighter 4 over the console verison.

this is a favorite of mine as well just because of how cute it is and it is fun for me.. I wonder who that Witch Darkstalker is supposed to be though.

Top Bottom