• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Tizoc

4/6/2, Tizoc?
That's not how you do haiku.
Here, let me fix that:

Yes, it will happen.
Half-Life 3 will surely come
someday, 'fore we die.

lol, I suck at making Haikus and while that wasn't what I was aiming for, that's a good rendetion ;D

OK serious question:
If SEGA announce Sonic 1 and 2 that were on iOS/Android to be released on Steam (at least) for $4.99 each BUT they are seperate games/listings than the Genesis Collection already on Steam, would you still buy them?

BHZ Mayor

lol, I suck at making Haikus and while that wasn't what I was aiming for, that's a good rendetion ;D

OK serious question:
If SEGA announce Sonic 1 and 2 that were on iOS/Android to be released on Steam (at least) for $4.99 each BUT they are seperate games/listings than the Genesis Collection already on Steam, would you still buy them?

I don't have the Genesis collection so that's an easy yes for me.

4cFdUTp.jpg

;_;

Why wouldn't you like KB/M, though

I mean, yeah, it depends on the game - if you need analog movement, WASD generally doesn't cut it, whereas mouselook trumps pretty much every other form of first-person camera movement - but it's plenty viable.

Why wouldn't you like KB/M, though

I mean, yeah, it depends on the game - if you need analog movement, WASD generally doesn't cut it, whereas mouselook trumps pretty much every other form of first-person camera movement - but it's plenty viable.

For playing Marvel Heroes, specifically. I don't like KB/M controls in general though, and will use a controller unless it's not possible or if there is no good support for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yo Schalla, what'd you think of Freedom Planet?
I don't post on gaf much anymore (heck, I gave up the two anniversary threads a few weeks ago and I'd done a quite a lot of work on a few months ago), but had to pop in cuz someone told me that someone asked me a question. Otherwise, I don't read GAF unless linked. I'll post in this thread when I play more of it, I guess. But for now, just know that I don't post on GAF outside of this thread, and i'm probably not going to until the soundtrack of the year thread. Don't feel like i fit in anymore and my school schedule's basically 2pm-9pm + 9:30am - 6:30pm every day two weeks from now so I wouldn't be able to post much anyway since I'm stuck in a biohazard lab all day.

I have to say that i haven't played much of Freedom Planet due to being sick and nauseous for the past month. Tried Freedom Planet when I had strepthroat + the flu and had to sleep off nausea after 12 minutes a few weeks ago. It's all right. It's better than the SAGE demo that was released back in 2012. I think the voice clips are a nuisance and players should be allowed to toggle them off if possible, but Classic mode is very welcome for someone like me who doesn't like a lot of talky stuff in platformers. Otherwise, I didn't progress very far and I don't think I have the right to say much about it because I got nauseous and stopped before I could do anything super-important. It feels like it handles well enough at this juncture.

supergreatfriend did a really cool look at the game, though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-d56oq7g0

----

Very surprised that barely anyone in here outside of Blaze was talking about SAGE or the games that were present there, though. We talked a lot about SAGE 2012 in here two years ago. I guess Sonic Boom has everyone that much down, huh? I know Sonic Boom looks like crap for a lot of us, and I don't think i'm gonna get it. Or I guess everyone's posting in other threads these days.

I'm not sure how the 3DS version of Sonic Boom is like and I completely forgot everyone's impressions for it. I know TimmiT said that Sonic Boom Wii U didn't feel that great when he played it at Gamescom so I won't be picking that up.

----

Was going to post Azure Striker Gunvolt impressions in that game's thread but I think I'll just nope out of doing that.
tl;dr, that game's cool. Don't let the first stage make you feel like the game's crap because the boss stages have really cool gimmicks and do them right unlike Shovel Knight (particularly the stage where you everything's blacked out and you have to use the Lightning Ring to be able to see or hit enemies that function as lights for you). It has a really neat use of gimmicks, and I feel like the platforming gets better as you go on into the boss stages.

The bosses themselves aren't that hard but some of them have their own gimmicks too. A lot of them feel like they're an exercise in dodging/shielding and finding an attack opening, though. Pretty simple for the most part.

The art and music are really neat. The background art in a lot of the boss stages have nice colour use, nice shading, etc. When you get 1000 kudos points, this cool theme kicks in and it makes you feel like you're kicking ass for real. If you die, you have a chance of getting resurrected and another vocal theme kicks in.

The story's hilariously not that great. And the in-level/boss dialogue UI gets in the way so much that I turned it off. I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all, and if that's the stuff they took out of the English version, that's fine to me. I was fighting a boss battle and I put the dialogue UI on out of curiosity, and the UI blocked me from seeing where the boss was. Hideous. The voicework sounds decent and I forgot who the Japanese cast was for this. Cutscenes are skippable with start.

The game itself is pretty much designed for score attack/speedrunning. Unless you're levelling up/getting cash, you could always just tag and stun and dash away without killing the enemy because you might get a higher rank by doing the level faster and thus you can get more ingredients to upgrade your toolset at the end of the stage. Dashing with Gunvolt feels nice and you can double-tap or assign dash to a button. You can reassign buttons to what moves you want.

Forgot to say that spikes aren't instadeath, and that there's a scoring system in place. you can redo stages if you want.

I'll try to chip away at it more as the night goes on and when I get back from doing errands tomorrow.

I also played Mighty Gunvolt for a bit. So there are three characters in that: Beck (Mighty No. 9), Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt), and Ekoro (GalGun representative; I dunno I never played that game even if Coldman tells me to). They all have different movesets. Gunvolt has a double jump and a charge gun attack. Beck has dash/slide and a charged up dash/slide (which can one-hit almost every common enemy). Ekoro has a charm attack and float jump (think princess peach). Out of all three, Ekoro is the most interesting one. She has different stages from Beck and Gunvolt (Beck and Gunvolt go through the same stages), and she can charm enemies into acting as backup for her. Her float is a little odd, but it works. Otherwise, Mighty Gunvolt feels like omake content, and it seems like a nice little thing that I got for free. It doesn't seem like it stands up well as a full-fledged product and is just a cool extra. It seems okay for score attacking. All of the stages are linear, though. You don't get to pick which one you wanna play through.

Honestly, the intro stage for Azure Striker Gunvolt is one of the worst first impressions I've played in recent days and I've been beating a lot of games lately! So if you're disappointed with the intro stage, just know that the game gets better from there.

----

I'm almost finished Fantasy Life: Link! but I dunno if I'll post impressions of that (especially since I haven't done anything multiplayer-related). The vague thing I've been hearing around is that a lot of people have this misconception that it's like Animal Crossing when I don't think that's a good comparison. It's more like Rune Factory without the focus on tons of farming and it doesn't have a marriage system. RPG elements and classes are easy to get into and it's a game that's more focused on all-ages so don't look for lots of in-depth stuff. The main game itself is pretty short, so more of the content is in NPC sidequests, job quests, foraging, etc.

So yeah, there you have it. I'll check in this thread if anyone needs anything.

Tizoc

So...Yoshi's New Island isn't that bad but I hate when I get hit and lose Baby Mario. It's annoying more-so when it comes to 100% levels, at times I just can't be assed to pick up all the Stars and Flowers and don't even get me started on Red Coins ugh.
Music could've been better really.

I don't post on gaf much anymore (heck, I gave up the two anniversary threads a few weeks ago and I'd done a quite a lot of work on a few months ago), but had to pop in cuz someone told me that someone asked me a question. Otherwise, I don't read GAF unless linked. I'll post in this thread when I play more of it, I guess. But for now, just know that I don't post on GAF outside of this thread, and i'm probably not going to until the soundtrack of the year thread. Don't feel like i fit in anymore and my school schedule's basically 2pm-9pm + 9:30am - 6:30pm every day two weeks from now so I wouldn't be able to post much anyway since I'm stuck in a biohazard lab all day.
It's cool Schala, just hope you're doing well =)

I have to say that i haven't played much of Freedom Planet due to being sick and nauseous for the past month. Tried Freedom Planet when I had strepthroat + the flu and had to sleep off nausea after 12 minutes a few weeks ago. It's all right. It's better than the SAGE demo that was released back in 2012. I think the voice clips are a nuisance and players should be allowed to toggle them off if possible, but Classic mode is very welcome for someone like me who doesn't like a lot of talky stuff in platformers. Otherwise, I didn't progress very far and I don't think I have the right to say much about it because I got nauseous and stopped before I could do anything super-important. It feels like it handles well enough at this juncture.

supergreatfriend did a really cool look at the game, though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-d56oq7g0
Hopefully once I get my net fixed at home I'll watch it, but I look forward to your impressions on it whenever you get the chance to play it fully =)
...and yeah Classic mode was a smart move. I personally liked Serpentine and Breven's VA as well as their dialog, so that's one reason for me to do another Story mode playthrough :p

Mind you I still feel like the game could go with some changes here and there but it's overall a GotY contender for me.

Very surprised that barely anyone in here outside of Blaze was talking about SAGE or the games that were present there, though. We talked a lot about SAGE 2012 in here two years ago. I guess Sonic Boom has everyone that much down, huh? I know Sonic Boom looks like crap for a lot of us, and I don't think i'm gonna get it. Or I guess everyone's posting in other threads these days.

I'm not sure how the 3DS version of Sonic Boom is like and I completely forgot everyone's impressions for it. I know TimmiT said that Sonic Boom Wii U didn't feel that great when he played it at Gamescom so I won't be picking that up.
I sadly don't care about SAGE, but any good fan games that were shown in it will have my attention.
As for 3DS Boom, check out TSSZ's impressions, they seem positive about it. I'm still getting it...though atm I'm trying to remember what 3DS games aside from A Link Between Worlds I'm missing to get with it :V

Was going to post Azure Striker Gunvolt impressions in that game's thread but I think I'll just nope out of doing that.
tl;dr, that game's cool. Don't let the first stage make you feel like the game's crap because the boss stages have really cool gimmicks and do them right unlike Shovel Knight (particularly the stage where you everything's blacked out and you have to use the Lightning Ring to be able to see or hit enemies that function as lights for you). It has a really neat use of gimmicks, and I feel like the platforming gets better as you go on into the boss stages.

The bosses themselves aren't that hard but some of them have their own gimmicks too. A lot of them feel like they're an exercise in dodging/shielding and finding an attack opening, though. Pretty simple for the most part.

The art and music are really neat. The background art in a lot of the boss stages have nice colour use, nice shading, etc. When you get 1000 kudos points, this cool theme kicks in and it makes you feel like you're kicking ass for real. If you die, you have a chance of getting resurrected and another vocal theme kicks in.

The story's hilariously not that great. And the in-level/boss dialogue UI gets in the way so much that I turned it off. I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all, and if that's the stuff they took out of the English version, that's fine to me. I was fighting a boss battle and I put the dialogue UI on out of curiosity, and the UI blocked me from seeing where the boss was. Hideous. The voicework sounds decent and I forgot who the Japanese cast was for this. Cutscenes are skippable with start.

The game itself is pretty much designed for score attack/speedrunning. Unless you're levelling up/getting cash, you could always just tag and stun and dash away without killing the enemy because you might get a higher rank by doing the level faster and thus you can get more ingredients to upgrade your toolset at the end of the stage. Dashing with Gunvolt feels nice and you can double-tap or assign dash to a button. You can reassign buttons to what moves you want.

Forgot to say that spikes aren't instadeath, and that there's a scoring system in place. you can redo stages if you want.

I'll try to chip away at it more as the night goes on and when I get back from doing errands tomorrow.

I also played Mighty Gunvolt for a bit. So there are three characters in that: Beck (Mighty No. 9), Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt), and Ekoro (GalGun representative; I dunno I never played that game even if Coldman tells me to). They all have different movesets. Gunvolt has a double jump and a charge gun attack. Beck has dash/slide and a charged up dash/slide (which can one-hit almost every common enemy). Ekoro has a charm attack and float jump (think princess peach). Out of all three, Ekoro is the most interesting one. She has different stages from Beck and Gunvolt (Beck and Gunvolt go through the same stages), and she can charm enemies into acting as backup for her. Her float is a little odd, but it works. Otherwise, Mighty Gunvolt feels like omake content, and it seems like a nice little thing that I got for free. It doesn't seem like it stands up well as a full-fledged product and is just a cool extra. It seems okay for score attacking. All of the stages are linear, though. You don't get to pick which one you wanna play through.

Honestly, the intro stage for Azure Striker Gunvolt is one of the worst first impressions I've played in recent days and I've been beating a lot of games lately! So if you're disappointed with the intro stage, just know that the game gets better from there.
Nice impressions, I'm still getting Gunvolt so hope I end up liking it. I don't mind a 'speedrun-ish' game sometimes.

----

I'm almost finished Fantasy Life: Link! but I dunno if I'll post impressions of that (especially since I haven't done anything multiplayer-related). The vague thing I've been hearing around is that a lot of people have this misconception that it's like Animal Crossing when I don't think that's a good comparison. It's more like Rune Factory without the focus on tons of farming and it doesn't have a marriage system. RPG elements and classes are easy to get into and it's a game that's more focused on all-ages so don't look for lots of in-depth stuff. The main game itself is pretty short, so more of the content is in NPC sidequests, job quests, foraging, etc.

So yeah, there you have it. I'll check in this thread if anyone needs anything.

Another 3DS game to add to my 'to get list'.

...and my school schedule's basically 2pm-9pm + 9:30am - 6:30pm every day two weeks from now so I wouldn't be able to post much anyway since I'm stuck in a biohazard lab all day.
Don't those two timeframes overlap from 2PM through 6:30PM?

I've noticed a lot of people saying the voice-acting is terrible. I'm actually kinda surprised by that, since I went in expecting to outright hate the voice-acting but came out of it actually kinda liking it. I mean, it has its wooden actors (whoever voiced the king of Shuigang in the intro, notably), but otherwise, I thought they did okay.

The other assertion is that the plot is terrible, and that I can kind of see where they're coming from. The problem is sort of two-fold; first, a lot of the late-game cutscenes were simply cut out for time, so if there was any good explanation scenes in there, they're not in there anymore; as such, some things go unexplained. In addition, what was in there prior didn't do a great job of explaining things (does the game ever mention the Kingdom Stone is where Avalice gets its electricity from, for instance?), so even if everything had been implemented, it'd probably still have issues. The second, almost contradictory issue is that what is there seems to go on for too long - there's a ten minute group of cutscenes inbetween Relic Maze and Fortune Night, and that's with some scenes getting axed (like the cave-in in Lilac's section, which was left in for Carol, or the second half of the "cooties" scene where the girls formally promise to be Milla's family). Putting in all the scenes would fix problem 1, but exacerbate problem 2; trimming the scenes fixes problem 2, but exacerbates problem 1. It's an awkward situation to be in.

Fortunately, the game itself is a damn lot of fun. A bit buggy here and there (/vg/ has some really impressive clip tricks that are possible due to some buggy gravity with the item boxes), but solid enough to be a fun time if you can look past the plot's issues. It's a shame it's kind of invisible; apparently sales have already started to taper off, and the big-name websites mostly ignored it (I suppose it got highlighted on Kotaku and Polygon, but Joystiq completely ignored it, despite reposting every damn Sonic 2 HD development - because old games are clearly more important to report on than new ones). I really have no idea what could be done to ameliorate that situation.

Very surprised that barely anyone in here outside of Blaze was talking about SAGE or the games that were present there, though. We talked a lot about SAGE 2012 in here two years ago. I guess Sonic Boom has everyone that much down, huh?
No, it's because it happened when I was in England, where my only Internet access source was my cell phone, and even then it was limited to when I was at the cottage we were staying at because the charges for any data usage were obscene (something like $20 a MB - not GB, MB). It just kinda came and went without me being around to notice. I have yet to go back and see what the hell I missed - hopefully the booths are still up, and they didn't close off everything as soon as the SAGE timeframe lapsed.

Psxphile

I think she meant her schedule would change in two weeks to the earlier time, not that both would be going concurrently.

Hm, I don't thing I've ever given a damn about SAGE in all my time in the Sonic fandom, and I don't see myself giving a damn now unfortunately. I haven't even bothered to unpack SBTS and SATS from their .rars since downloading them months ago. I think this same apathy is preventing me from trying Freedom Planet, too.

*sigh* I'm getting old.

Kart94

Banned
So i was just replaying Pokemon Red for good old times sake.

Oh man, takes me back to good times. Pokemon and Spongebob were my two biggest things in my life as a kid. I lived and breathed pokemon. I remember watching the anime and just waiting for Team Rocket to just go ahead and catch pikachu because i was never too big of a fan of Ash. lol i used to just call Gary, Jerk or Loser and Professor Oak would just be like "oh so Loser or Jerk was his name?"

*They seriously need to retire Ash*

lol. the pokemon designs are alot more goofier than i remember. I don't remember Blastoise looking that fat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I mostly played Pokemon back when I was in grade 4 to grade 6, then stopped. Playing Pokemon X last year made me realize that the games aren't for me.

Ummmm... this one level in Gunvolt really feels like a Sonic level in places, haha. I'm basically bouncing on yellow "springs" across pits in a city landscape. It's much better to get through it quickly by dashing (and it's easy to double-tap to dash in this game for some reason, so I'm not pressing a button to dash) and the boss itself was mostly a joke.

But springs over pits. Dimps-style.

So...Yoshi's New Island isn't that bad but I hate when I get hit and lose Baby Mario. It's annoying more-so when it comes to 100% levels, at times I just can't be assed to pick up all the Stars and Flowers and don't even get me started on Red Coins ugh.
Music could've been better really.
It's not as bad as people say it is, but 100%ing levels are a pain in the ass. It's okay. I think it's better than Yoshi's Island DS, to be honest. I thought the physics were fine, but the artstyle is a bit of an eyesore.

Music's a cure for insomnia and it doesn't jive very well with the levels at all. The worst track people point out is something you hear only once. tbh, it's in the running for worst soundtrack of the year but for the reasons why Time & Eternity was my worst soundtrack of the year last year (ie: didn't fit well, boring, monotonous, didn't try very much).

As I said elsewhere, 2-9 on Mondays, 9:30-6:30 on Tuesdays to Fridays. Barely going to have a lot of time to myself cuz I'll be in the lab doing stuff that makes some people squeamish or grossed out, haha.

I'll play Freedom Planet when I'm finished with my Suikoden replay and Gunvolt and respond to your post when I get to play more of it. I'm playing Classic mode so I don't know much about the story. I wish I could make some comparisons to Dust since it seems like some people are making comparisons to that but I've never played it. I don't know if it's worth making comparisons to that game anyway since they seem like apples and oranges. I do feel like characters stand out a little more than they did in the 2012 demo, but maybe that's my feeling based on how I haven't looked at the game much between playing that demo and playing the actual game.

*sigh* I'm getting old.
I'm only in the tail-end of my mid-20s and I feel like I say that every day. I think I got a little frustrated the other day because I felt like I didn't understood what self-professed "gamers" wanted (ie: that Tomb Raider thing). Maybe I'm just getting old or I feel like I have other priorities that matter more lately.

I'm not even that old and I feel old. :/

Phil S.

Banned
I liked how you didn't have to have 30/30 stars, 20/20 red coins, and 5/5 flowers all in one go. You could do them separately if needed. I'd leave the collecting everything for one run, if I had to do a level twice, that is, and then try a no-hit 30/30 star run for the second run.

I enjoyed Yoshi's New Island, and my brother did too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Didn't have time to 100% Yoshi's New Island because I felt that was a waste of my time when I didn't like the game that much. I'm done with that "100% the game when I don't like it that much" lifestyle. Why waste my time even further when I have other things to do and other games to play? I did a few of those extra levels, but I didn't like them very much so I didn't bother with the rest since that means replaying some levels I didn't like in terms of structure again and again.

100%'d Kirby Triple Deluxe, though. Got Beefy on my side.

Overall, I've played maybe 56 games this year? 34 of them are from this year, though. Few are imports from last year like Fantasy Life Link and Dragon Quest VII. Or ports. I beat a ton of them over the span i wasn't posting on GAF, so I feel more productive now that I'm not about that "100% every game even if I don't like it" life. ...this means that I'm getting old.

You're going to start collecting tupperware soon!
Way ahead of you, breh. I put my lab supplies in tupperware to avoid contamination from body fluids we test. :/

My month has been rather packed so far for completing games going through a variety of older ones and good ones at that with potentially more to come.
Guess my next round of "Games you beat in August" is going to take me longer than usual to write up since that's where I tend to drop off my smaller impressions.

I liked how you didn't have to have 30/30 stars, 20/20 red coins, and 5/5 flowers all in one go. You could do them separately if needed. I'd leave the collecting everything for one run, if I had to do a level twice, that is, and then try a no-hit 30/30 star run for the second run.

I enjoyed Yoshi's New Island, and my brother did too.

Sounds like New Island wasn't a complete waste after all, I'd love for that feature to have been in the original, I never found the perfect 100 collection run much in the way of fun, more of an annoyance.

Sciz

Sega doesn't own any music from Sonic 1 or 2 except for the Chaos Emerald and drowning jingles. There's a selection of songs from 3 that are owned by a variety of people, or whose ownership is at least still under contention.

Sega doesn't own any music from Sonic 1 or 2 except for the Chaos Emerald and drowning jingles. There's a selection of songs from 3 that are owned by a variety of people, or whose ownership is at least still under contention.

How did that end up happening? They just didn't consider it at the time and it ended up biting them in the ass?

Sciz

Sonic 1 was because Sega knew they had a hot game on their hands and weren't too concerned about the long term if a bad contract meant they got even more talent involved. Sonic 2 was a matter of not wanting to mess with a good thing, I suppose. They wanted 3 to be the biggest thing yet, and when you can get the King of Pop to write your music, you do.

I wish I could make some comparisons to Dust since it seems like some people are making comparisons to that but I've never played it. I don't know if it's worth making comparisons to that game anyway since they seem like apples and oranges.
Well, if you need a copy, I have a spare Steam key from a Humble Bundle...

I dunno, both games featuring animal people in an East Asian world (albeit Dust is more Korean while Freedom Planet is Chinese)... the comparison's not so farfetched. Gameplay-wise, though, yeah, totally apples and oranges. One's a 2D hack-and-slash with heavy emphasis on combos and light Metroidvania elements, the other's basically a '90s 2D platformer.

I do feel like characters stand out a little more than they did in the 2012 demo, but maybe that's my feeling based on how I haven't looked at the game much between playing that demo and playing the actual game.
The graphics have definitely been upgraded. It used to be very flat-shaded (something you can kinda see in the shrunken thumbnails on the old Kickstarter page, or more easily see by replaying the old SAGE 2012 demo), but a bit of a once-over by some pixel artists and boom, things pop now.

Rlan

Man, there are more versions of Spinball out there than I thought! Seems like they released the game later with an ESRB rating, and then a cardboard box version with an ESRB rating, and that's not including the 8 other versions I already own.

Kart94

Banned
I could never find myself to enjoy Sonic Spinball. The controls just don't feel right. It always seems kind of sluggish to me.

edit: You know, i think i learned an important lesson today: just ignore any Richard Dawkins thread. I just think he is just full of himself and i'll just leave it at that.

Phil S.

Banned
I stay out of politics threads, try to stay out of threads that may turn system wars-y, Nintendo threads when they turn sour (so most of them), PS4 vs. Xbox One topics, resolution topics, big gaming "scandal" topics, etc. The latter two are usually because I don't know the whole story or what I'm talking about anyway. :)

Falk

that puzzling face
How did that end up happening? They just didn't consider it at the time and it ended up biting them in the ass?

You have to remember this was a time way before releasing game soundtracks by themselves were a thing.

I mean, the opposite is just as bad - when a composer wants to do a concert series featuring his own work from ________ franchise here and ends up getting cockblocked by _______ for example.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I mostly stopped posting in other threads because I stopped caring after a bunch of nonsense that happened last year. Felt like my opinions weren't wanted so I was like whatever after bitching about for several months. Kinda feel better now that I'm not reading or posting a lot and just playing what I want!

General rule is to stay out of OT lately, but a few years ago the running joke is that Gaming always got you banned. That was under a different staff, though. Stay out of hot-button issue threads unless you know your shit and you can back up your argument. Adhere to the FAQ forum and don't be a dumbass. Don't drive-by either because that's stupid as hell and a lot of people don't care about your two cents unless you want to stick around to back it up. Don't backhandedly criticise folks or talk about 'em behind their backs in a thread while they're not around cuz that's just high school and comes off as kinda pathetic.

Don't post off-topic too much, especially in OTs and community threads because of problems in multiple community threads due to that issue in the past and presently. This is why I posted the warning in here the other week; don't do it a lot (you can do it but please please please don't go overboard). If you want to talk about movies or music, go to OT and check out the movie thread/movie OTs or the assorted music/album threads there. That's what OT and the music/movie threads are there for, and it makes it easier for you to get to know other members better. Don't stay holed up in a community thread if you're a recent member. Get to know people because lots of members are really nice outside of a thread!

Got a problem? PM an available mod from this list (or three simultaneously) but know they can't come to the rescue all the time since their inboxes are probably more filled than my inbox (which has 4543 messages total!). Plus some of them work/are parents/are grad students. Be patient and don't be a jerk about it.

Want to make an OT? Check out the OT |OT| cuz you can ask for help with images and see which threads are taken and which aren't in there.

Want to write impressions that will be easy to find? We have a dead-ass user review thread that I tried to unsuccessfully revive a few months ago. Or just post it on tumblr like I do and just post the text here to get buried in the middle of a thread. w/e.

Don't ask about GAF Gold.

Dark GAF is the best.

Back when Beef, Nocturnowl, and a bunch of us including myself were juniors, we had a pretty good thread to welcome juniors and tell them how not to fuck up. Check out the thread and learn about how pathetically meek we all were (especially meeeeee; I was way nicer, less cynical, and more naive). Except Beef. Beef's still the same. Overall just know that people come and go. Some people I posted with back then aren't around anymore, and that's okay. Life happens, and if life happens to you, don't be afraid to move on.

So yeah. Don't take this place too seriously. At the end of the day, it's a message board. Even if people can be silly in game threads, they can be pretty cool people in PMs, in OT, and off of GAF. Don't forget the members posting in those threads are also people too, and they can get their feelings hurt just like you can. If you need a break from it, take a break cuz you'll feel better if you did.

My month has been rather packed so far for completing games going through a variety of older ones and good ones at that with potentially more to come.
Guess my next round of "Games you beat in August" is going to take me longer than usual to write up since that's where I tend to drop off my smaller impressions.
Oh, that's kind of what I'm doing too. At the beginning of the summer, I wrote up a list of Famicom and Super Famicom RPGs (and a few other RPGs from other systems I had in my backlog) that I hadn't yet played so I'd get through them throughout the summer. Shit happened and I didn't get a chance to do that, but by the time I got to that RPG list, I'd played a few lengthy RPGs that made me get kinda tired of doing it and I was only three games in and I'd decided to officially drop Tales of Xillia 2 and Ar Tonelico Qoga (sorry, Coldman-chan). I think I'm good enough to go again now that I'm finished my Suikoden replay (7 hours which is 1.5 hours more than my record). Don't really have much of an interest in hooking my Famicom+Disk System up, though. I'd have to find the converter for it because it's a Hong Kong model.

I've only written impressions for stuff that stuck out to me or write-ups that are equivalent of a gloss-over. And I've been playing stuff that I don't necessarily deem as garbage, so that's a plus. Better year than last year when I was playing a bunch of stuff I outright hated~

I wanna bronze those Ni no Kuni and Time and Eternity posts one day, though. Put it up on my wall and frame them. :lol :lol :lol

Well, if you need a copy, I have a spare Steam key from a Humble Bundle...

I dunno, both games featuring animal people in an East Asian world (albeit Dust is more Korean while Freedom Planet is Chinese)... the comparison's not so farfetched. Gameplay-wise, though, yeah, totally apples and oranges. One's a 2D hack-and-slash with heavy emphasis on combos and light Metroidvania elements, the other's basically a '90s 2D platformer.

The graphics have definitely been upgraded. It used to be very flat-shaded (something you can kinda see in the shrunken thumbnails on the old Kickstarter page, or more easily see by replaying the old SAGE 2012 demo), but a bit of a once-over by some pixel artists and boom, things pop now.
Oh, no, it's okay. You've gifted me a free game last year, iirc, so don't worry about it. But thank you for the offer. :)

Well, yes, that's more or less what I was thinking. The influences are pretty clear, and it's interesting to see because Sonic was more-or-less influenced by the west. In that sense, I do feel like Freedom Planet distinguishes itself fairly well. Dust and Freedom Planet are completely different games, gameplay-wise otherwise. I don't think I can see Freedom Planet as purely something that came from a SAGE anymore, though. It has a lot of influences from other Genesis platformers, so I generally feel like comparisons to Sonic only is somewhat selling the game short? Maybe it's just me, though.

And I'm glad I wasn't crazy when I thought the full-release looked better. Now you can distinguish the characters from the backgrounds much more than before.

Sonic 1 was because Sega knew they had a hot game on their hands and weren't too concerned about the long term if a bad contract meant they got even more talent involved. Sonic 2 was a matter of not wanting to mess with a good thing, I suppose. They wanted 3 to be the biggest thing yet, and when you can get the King of Pop to write your music, you do.
Aha, never mind the comparisons you made in the Sonic music thread a few years ago. Cuz, you know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeYmkH_bkHY

Still had something that sounded star-studded without explicitly going the extra mile.

I always thought that getting them to compose Sonic 2 was more of a matter of consistency or in terms of a legacy, though (much like how the same composers generally compose for the same series like Sakuraba for Tales/SO or Sugiyama for DQ). Though to be fair, you don't see that around these days because people move on.

Man, there are more versions of Spinball out there than I thought! Seems like they released the game later with an ESRB rating, and then a cardboard box version with an ESRB rating, and that's not including the 8 other versions I already own.
I have the cardboard box version of the Genesis version, and a loose copy of the Game Gear version. Though I thought those were VRC ratings instead of ESRB ratings since that was before the VRC was supplanted by the ESRB and Sega decided to have a more liberal policy by rating its own games beforehand?

...eight other versions? D:

Rlan

I have the cardboard box version of the Genesis version, and a loose copy of the Game Gear version. Though I thought those were VRC ratings instead of ESRB ratings since that was before the VRC was supplanted by the ESRB and Sega decided to have a more liberal policy by rating its own games beforehand?

...eight other versions? D:

Oh, I have a list.

I currently have:

- Standard US version (Which has the GA rating from the VRC, prior to the ESRB)
- Japanese version
- European Version
- Australian Version (Different manual)
- Australian "Gold Collection" version
- Australian Version which came in a Silver Box / Cart combo
- The Asian Version
- A Pirate version

I thought I had a "full set", not realizing there is also:

Compared to the other US version:

I only knew about it beause I was trying to buy a copy of US Sonic 1 that was not a "not for resale" version, but ended up finding one with a KA logo on it as well, which seems rather late in the game to do.

Tizoc

What is Dark GAF?

Started to notice more interest in american comics (at least) over in OT. I watned to make a 'Awesome pages from comics' thread once, but that didn't go through.
Now with comics gaining more interest, time comes I posted some of my favourite panels and pages.

One thing that I come to notice regarding the Rise of the Tomb Raider 'exclusivity' fiasco is how the whole 'exclusive to 1 system' is approached.

Now bring up Bayo 2 and everyone will say 'but that was funded by Nintendo', yeah that's all fine and dandy but that would require one to get a Wii U. I don't mind getting a Wii U, heck I WANT ONE cuz it's got a lot of sweet games I want.
...but let's think about after Bayo 2 gets released, let's look 3 or so years later.
What happens if you want to play it? Get a Wii U, but what if that's the only game you want to get a Wii U for? What if the other games on it don't interest you?
Worst yet, what if Bayo 2 flops?

Whatever the case you'll need to commit to that one system to play the game that you want.

Now let's look at another game that's gotten a similar treatment:
Grim Fandango HD
For so long did fans of this game wait for it to be released on Steam or even GOG, and it got a surprise announcement during E3 in Sony' conference. Now at the time I don't recall reading about any 'exclusivity', but read that the game got funding from Sony, so at least it gets released on Sony systems first.
Weeks later, PC ver. was confirmed, and many gave a sigh of relief. I always knew it would get a PC release, but Sony would get the game released on its systems first.

Now I'm gonna break it here for a bit and ask:
Why was Grim Fandango not treated the same way that RoTR did?
Don't answer just yet, read on.

I followed as little info on it as possible on Oddworld: New n' Tasty, the HD remake of Abe's Oddysey. I recall it being announced for various systems except the Xbox, but close to its released got confirmed for XBone.
New n' Tasty released first on the PS4, with all other versions releasing in the near future (no set date atm).

Why was there no uproar on Sony or PS4 getting the game first?

What makes RoTR so different? Hell we know, we KNOW it'll release on other systems eventually, at best like 6 months later, at worst a year. Why was Microsoft announcing it being exclusive cause such an uproar? Yeah the announcement is stupid and dumb, but to take it so far and so seriously is something I see to be really silly.

Now look back at the games I mentioned, why isn't there any issues with those 2 games? Say Sony said they were exclusive, would anyone rage?

If Falcom announced a new action adventure Ys game but exclusive to the Xbone, will anyone comlpain? Would it get the same reactions as RoTR?

Is the outrage just more fuel for the Xbone haters/non-owners?

You'll excuse me for bringing this up here, but you guys tend to be more sane than the regular GAFfers...out there.

Anth0ny

Easy steps to not get banned:

1. No personal insults to other members. So many grayed out names next to "Fuck you" posts. If you want to vent, vent on a game, not another member. "Fuck Sonic Colors what a piece of shit" is perfectly acceptable!

2. Stay out of the sensitive issues threads. It's not worth it. I think you can use your own discretion on that one, but sensitive threads/issues/themes are pretty obvious. There's a lot in the OT, but there's some on Gaming side too. Console war threads (aka 1080p/60fps threads) often become heated and personal when people badmouth a someone's favorite console. Lots of bans.

In other words, stay in community threads.

Sciz

Kart94

Banned
yeah i have kind of noticed that there seems to be a leaning towards Sony in the Gaming threads. It seems anything Microsoft does is wrong, but when Sony does it, well it is ok. Microsoft is still getting attacked because of their X-box one original ideas, however it seems like Sony's PSN Outage fiasco is barely mentioned, and that in my opinion is a much bigger issue to me.

Nintendo? lol forget discussing Nintendo. better post those Wii U is dead and sales and bs. *As if Sales make a console or video game better*

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm pretty platform-agnostic and developer-agnostic despite my work/career, but the way I'm reading it, the vitriol is equal parts the Microsoft hate bandwagon (let's face it, they did burn plenty of bridges in the latter half of last get in the indie scene, along with the whole initial xbone strategy implosion) and the fact that the other two games you mentioned prooobably wouldn't have gotten made had not Sony or Nintendo funded a significant fraction of it, compared to a sequel that everyone knew was coming to a reboot that was multiplatform, made by a developer that was under an umbrella of one of the biggest gaming publishers still left alive.

Temporary exclusive or not, the question people subconsciously have is "is Square Enix really hurting that much for money?". Especially after how the "3.4 million sales weren't enough guys!" gaffe from last year played out.

Either way I honestly don't care. Business is business. If it's not out on a platform I have, I just won't play it. Never had a Nintendo platform prior to 3DS (of which I have 3 games right now), never complained about not being able to play PW/TWEWY/Layton/Megaman/Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Metroid etc. People just need a healthy dose of dealwithit sometimes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even as a casual observer of GAF these days, I don't feel like the site leans one way or another? You just have a lot of fans on all four sides of the equation, so I think it's just really stupid to say, "Oh, GAF has a Sony bias." That might have been true for some reasons last gen, but now? You just have a ton of voices on both Sony and Nintendo's sides. A casual glance at the gaming forum basically tells me that there are a ton of fans from every circle. Maybe if you're deep into the console wars trenches, it feels that way, but from an outsider's perspective based on only viewing the forum when people tell me to and going through several pages through the thread list, it doesn't seem to be leaning in one direction at all. I mean, I see a lot of people not liking mobile games but I don't really care. I like a lot of mobile games these days, and it sucks that people belittle them but I don't let that get to me because I'm not a child who's self-conscious of what people think of me based on what i play.

The amount of Hyrule Warriors threads, The Last of Us threads, Destiny threads, Smash Bros threads, Titanfall threads, etc. seem to be fairly equal and people who say that isn't the case needs to take a step back and a few weeks off of GAF then come back to actually see how it is. Nintendo fans crying foul are just as bad as Sony fans crying foul who are just as bad as MS fans crying foul who are just as bad as PC fans crying foul. Get the fuck over it. Just play games and fucking talk about them, Jesus. That's kinda why I don't post much; no one's interested in talking about video games anymore. So I just play them and talk about them elsewhere with people who are interested. I don't feel like I've lost much, outside of interactions I have in some threads and I miss posting with a few people who I only see on GAF.

Just post in whatever threads you want. Don't whine and bitch and moan about how the site is "omg, sorny/nintendobias". Why should you care so much? Don't behave like you're in high school. You're here to talk about video games. Video games should be fun. I understand that I might be a little biased considering my interactions with certain people on this forum, but I really don't feel like the site has any leaning at this frame in time. In the past, sure. Now? Not as much. It just feels amplified because there are new consoles around and there are more people posting on the site now than ever. People were fucking pissed about the PSN/credit card thing and the thread for that was fucking huge, so don't say it doesn't get mentioned because it usually does. People were mad about Sony screwing over people who imported games because they lost all their saves for Vita when they updated their firmware. Every company has problems. Don't pay attention to the minority with louder voices. If a game isn't on a platform you have or want, just learn to deal with it or save up or budget for a console if you want it. Get a refurb. Whatever, man.

So fucking video games. All you do is press buttons or touch a screen and practice and get gud and it's a past time. It's not something that should define you unless you have a job in the industry, and it's not something that should make you have strong feelings about one way or another.

Like I said, I don't get "gamers" anymore, or I'm getting too old for this or I have other priorities.

There's also that really early run of Spinball that had the wrong title theme.
Ahahahaha, i forgot about that one.

Oh, I have a list.

I only knew about it beause I was trying to buy a copy of US Sonic 1 that was not a "not for resale" version, but ended up finding one with a KA logo on it as well, which seems rather late in the game to do.
I didn't know there was a version with the K-A rating! That's pretty interesting. I thought they would've just went with the 6-pack version instead of a reprint of the first game.

Man, that's a lot of versions. Reminds me of how many versions I have of some Tales games or some FF games.

Are you just rounding out a collection of multi-region Sonic games, then? That's pretty neat. I wanted to do that with some Tales games since I have all of the Japanese games anyway. Maybe FF since part of my FF collection is Japanese.

What is Dark GAF?
KL65ATD.png

That.

Is the outrage just more fuel for the Xbone haters/non-owners?
People plain and simple don't like games they want to play on other systems, and instead of acting like an adult about it, they'll behave like they're in the third grade "arguing about which console is better because their parents said they could only get one console".

I mean, I can see the point where you're mad because Tomb Raider reboot 2 is obviously not exclusive because we know it'll go multiplat anyway. But moaning and groaning about it for months after isn't going to solve anything and you're going to play the game anyway so zzzz.

I'd rather companies just go balls-in and commit than make multiplatform stuff, but that's honestly the easiest way to make cash now in this sales environment, bluntly speaking. The industry isn't doing as hot as it was last gen fo' sho.

Easy steps to not get banned:

1. No personal insults to other members. So many grayed out names next to "Fuck you" posts. If you want to vent, vent on a game, not another member. "Fuck Sonic Colors what a piece of shit" is perfectly acceptable!
But just saying a game is a piece of shit is not perfectly acceptable unless you post supporting arguments. If you just leave a statement in there and not back it up, then you're just shitposting.

In other words, stay in community threads.
This is probably going to be hilarious and really stupid/hypocritical coming from me of all people (because I was the first one to complain about it), but... I thought about this for a long time since last December and I think I kind of see where the mods were coming from that time. At least two of them anyway. I don't see a problem with going off-topic in a community thread because it's effectively a community thread, but don't drag the topic too much away for pages. But don't just stay here, especially if you're new.

When OTs were being planned to be shunted off to Gaming Community, there was a major concern that a lot of threads would go here to die because... well, when an OT goes to community it dies. The problem is that these OTs become insular communities, and then those insular communities can go from thread to thread and it's kinda hard to get into discussion, or it's hard to break into discussion.

The community threads have a similar issue, but not as pronounced because they're basically fan threads and you kinda expect them to talk about music or fanart or other games in the series. You don't necessarily expect them to go, "I saw this movie on the weekend", "this happened at school", "today this happened in my life", etc. because we have the off-topic forum with threads designated for those purposes. You can kinda do it because, y'know, community, but not as often or as much as you would in the off-topic forum.

The biggest problem that I see is that I never ever see a lot of the people I posted with in various RPG, Nintendo, Sony, platformer, and puzzle threads anymore. And the reason for that is because they've found their homes in community threads. Now, when Stump said this:

Stumpokapow said:
I totally understand the temptation of finding an oasis where the group of people who self-select for posting are better than the site average... or even if they're not, that they're less confrontational... or even if they're not, that the pace of posting is slower so the impact of a bad reply is less severe than in a fast-moving thread where a high effort post can get drowned by a tide of shit.

But to some extent, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If all the good posters leave or voluntarily segregate themselves, the problem gets worse, which leads to more departures or self-segregation. There are lots of good posters who get stressed or bitter and it sucks. So if you find yourself withdrawing from the site as a whole, I can't blame you and I can't expect you "spend time getting stressed with idiots", but also it sucks for the rest of us that we're deprived of good conversation.

I have to be honest, I'm not really a Sonic fan. I like a few of them. I dislike a few of them. I don't feel strongly. So all this to say that it's not likely I would enter into or participate in this thread. And that's fine, because you guys deserve a spot to discuss Sonic without me lowering the quality of discussion with my misplaced opinions. But the bummer is that I don't get to discuss platformers with Anihawk or Dark Schala or whatever, when I'd like to.

Maybe it's because I'm thinking about it in a more lucid sense, but I started to realize, especially when I made that LTTP DQ7 thread a few weeks ago, I really miss a lot of people. Lots of people have left, but a lot of people are still here but I never get to see them anymore unless I go into their IRC (which I don't have much time for), go into their community thread (where I don't feel like I fit in), or I tweet at them or they tweet at me to ask me what I think about something (which is perfectly fine -- it's a good way to keep in touch with people who are permabanned or who don't want to stay on the site anymore). A lot of the people who would've posted a few threads I posted in in the past year have likely segregated themselves into community threads instead of bringing their conversation to the table for everyone to enjoy. I think someone in the Black Culture Thread brought up a really good post (and Beef linked it to me the other day) about caring about the people want your intellectual food on the table. I care that you guys value what I have to say. It makes me feel better that someone's listening.

There was a time when I used to read every single post in various threads because I knew what some people were going to say and I was interested in what others had to say. There was a point when I recognized almost everyone who posted on gaming side by name and by writing style. If someone came back with an alt, I'd know because they sometimes don't change their style, lol. I wanted to know what a lot of people thought about games, and there were a few people who I paid a lot of attention to because we basically played the same stuff. And I felt happy that I finally got to post alongside them and talk to them about games as a peer. The GAF plays threads were some of my favourites on GAF but they aren't as feasible anymore because some people just... don't want to post on the gaming forum or people are busier. It sucks.

The point is: I miss talking about platformers or RPGs with a lot of people and it's gotten so different that I don't feel comfortable in those threads because those insular communities basically trench down in those threads and talk about the game along with other stuff. I barely see a lot of the people I used to post with in those threads anymore, and that's kinda sad. I'd read this site for years and there are a ton of people on GAF that I respect, some of whom post here still but barely post in a lot of threads, and some people who left.

So... no, I wouldn't necessarily advocate staying in community only. It segments the site quite a bit, and we're seeing the repercussions of 2011's decisions now. Everyone feels so segmented and it's hard to get good conversation lately because everyone's separated. It doesn't feel like a true-blue community anymore because there are sooooo many people here now, because of the new console wars/louder minorities, and because of the segmentation.

I mean, if you feel more comfortable in community threads, that's fine. I'm starting to feel like a lot of the animosity going on on the main fora is a result of this "experiment". At the same time, gaming forum doesn't feel the same as it did years ago (and I'm not the only person who feels this way since I've done some talking with a few older members of the site for the past few months), and it's much harder to actually talk about video games so I completely get why people would want to stay in community threads. Who'd want to wade through the crap, right? But it sucks that some of us don't get to see what you think and what you have to say on the main forum as much anymore.

...and that's what I learned over the past eight months of mostly observing the site and doing my own thing. I feel like a fool for not realizing it sooner and being completely stubborn about it, to be honest with you.

Again, if you feel more comfortable in megathreads or community threads, that's fine. But just know that a lot of us miss you in some capacity.

Top Bottom