• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Even as someone that's usually a stickler for continuity, I'm not one to really care about plot in Sonic titles.

I do think it was neat how Generations tied into Colors, though.

"How could you! You give me spicy food like this when you know I have high blood pressure!"

"But I...!"

"Now I know you truly hate me! Get out, I never want to see you again!"

WillyFive

I miss elaborate stories in Sonic games, a side effect of my first Sonic game being SA2. Having games like Colors, Generations, and Lost Worlds with simplistic and paper thin plots just makes them feel incomplete.

I never played that far into it, but I did enjoy trolling Amy about "Dexter" in Sonic Chronicles. It was strange how much I enjoyed making Sonic a sarcastic ass in that, considering I usually end up making Good characters in those "Pick your Blanket Morality" games.

Regiruler

Even as someone that's usually a stickler for continuity, I'm not one to really care about plot in Sonic titles.

I do think it was neat how Generations tied into Colors, though.

Rush Adventure was a story sequel to Rush, wasn't it? I never played rush so I wouldn't know.

Rush Adventure was a story sequel to Rush, wasn't it? I never played rush so I wouldn't know.

Yeah, but I was speaking specifically of the mainline console titles. The handheld games (weirdly enough) are actually pretty good about continuity (Battle -> Advance 3 -> Chronicles come to mind).

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, but I was speaking specifically of the mainline console titles. The handheld games (weirdly enough) are actually pretty good about continuity (Battle -> Advance 3 -> Chronicles come to mind).
In hindsight, I think the only reason I "loved" Advance 3 as much as I did was because of the Battle continuity and connections. And the music.

Because in every other area that game is fucking ROUGH, emphasis on the UGH

Falk

that puzzling face
I... think this is what 2006 was meant to be, at least initially.

The way all the townspeople specifically refer to him as "The Blue Wind of Soleanna".

That was a reboot. And it seemed set up in such a way that subsequent games would adhere to the new 'timeline'.

Way different from what Zelda does. It's more akin to Tomb Raider reboot in structure.

Sciz

The first 2/3rds of Advance 1 are pretty good.

After that everything falls off a cliff for one reason or another.

I can tell you right now that I think it's the first, and Sega1991 and Pietepiet think it's 2. I don't think anyone thinks it's 3, although I'm willing to be proven wrong. And if somebody actually thinks it's Genesis, God help them.

Lump me in the Advance 1 category. The game gets hit with the Dimps bat as soon as you hit Angel Island, but nowhere near to the extent that Advance 2 and 3 do.

They should hurry up and get the Sonic Advance games on the VC so I can wonder why I purchased them 30 minutes of dimps design later.

SEVEN RINGS IN HAND

Owl always had that song tuned to 100% in Brawl's GHZ

There are some things you just don't say, this crude comment is nothing but make believe
reborn!

OMG Aero

Aside from the method of getting the chaos emeralds (which was terrible in all the Sonic Advance games because the developers didn't want people to fully complete their games) and some of the boss battles, I remember really liking Sonic Advance 2.

Anth0ny

Advance 1 is good besides that fucking vertical level. And getting the chaos emeralds was super annoying. Worst special stages in all of Sonic, perhaps.

2 and 3 have the garbage physics.

Its been year since I played the advance games. I remember liking the 2nd one the best, if only because it seemed to be more speed based than the other two. Not sure I would make the same call if I played them again today.

The Rush games are superior, if I remember correctly.

Worst special stages in all of Sonic, perhaps.

'Sup.

Special_Stages_in_Sonic_Lost_World_3DS.png

Conveniently also by Dimps.

Oddly enough, I didn't have too much trouble with the special stages in Advance. I mean, yeah, I had trouble, especially at first, but after a while I got pretty good at mapping out where the plane of collision with rings and those flashing circles was, and could do even the hardest special stage without too much issue. Helps that the entry points were in consistent, relatively easy-to-grind locations.

I recall not liking Advance 2's nearly as much. It might just be because I barely got to see them in the first place, and usually by the time I'd made it there, my fingers hurt like mad, too much for me to actually do well. It certainly seemed okay... I'd probably warm up to it if I could revisit it more regularly.

Advance 3's barely left a mark on me. I think I only ever found all 10 Chao for Route 99.

Kart94

Banned
I am kind of surprised that there is such a thing as chaos emeralds or special stages in Sonic advance 2. I never found them and didn't know how so i assumed they weren't there

(How do you find them?).

Did you ever stumble upon those giant rings with a star in the middle of them in a stage?

Right. Find seven of them.

In the same act.

In one go.

(I think you can die in-between rings, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had to be one life, too; the game loves to be cheap that way.)

If you can do that, you get a chance at that zone's Chaos Emerald... for that character.

If you want to unlock everything the game has to offer, you have to do that for all seven zones for all five characters.

Understandably, has never been a well-liked feature of Sonic Advance 2.

Kart94

Banned
Did you ever stumble upon those giant rings with a star in the middle of them in a stage?

Right. Find seven of them.

In the same act.

In one go.

(I think you can die in-between rings, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had to be one life, too; the game loves to be cheap that way.)

If you can do that, you get a chance at that zone's Chaos Emerald... for that character.

If you want to unlock everything the game has to offer, you have to do that for all seven zones for all five characters.

Understandably, has never been a well-liked feature of Sonic Advance 2.

Uh there was a fifth character?

Uh there was a fifth character?
You unlocked things for every set of emeralds you completed.

For one character, you got the Tiny Chao Garden (I'm sure Beef was ecstatic if he unlocked this).
For two, you got the sound test.
For three, you got a Boss Rush Mode.
For four, you got a fifth character,
Amy Rose

Doesn't appear you unlock anything for getting all five sets of emeralds, though. Honestly surprising.

Also, if Sonic's set is completed and everyone else has beaten the final boss, you can take on True Area 53.

gelf

I can tell you right now that I think it's the first, and Sega1991 and Pietepiet think it's 2. I don't think anyone thinks it's 3, although I'm willing to be proven wrong. And if somebody actually thinks it's Genesis, God help them.

I liked 3 most. Not sure why exactly mind you, certainly it had the best music. Of no doubt to me is I liked 2 the least. Too much endless running and little actual platforming. I don't like Sonic Rush for a similar reason.

TimmiT

I miss elaborate stories in Sonic games, a side effect of my first Sonic game being SA2. Having games like Colors, Generations, and Lost Worlds with simplistic and paper thin plots just makes them feel incomplete.

Good thing that it seems like Sonic Boom might be story focused!

I liked how major parts of Advance 2 were race-themed. How you started off like at a runner's station with a countdown, how the level ends were like a finish line, but they rewarded you for crossing as fast as you could, then stopping as quickly as you could. How the bosses were all done while running (even though the execution could've used some work), leading up to a boss gauntlet where you don't stop running all the way through, until you stop dead for the final big boss.

I'm romanticizing it a little, but I thought the whole "run run run" design was packaged very well. Not to mention the driving music, the tricks based on giving you added mobility, how every character got a speed boost, etc.

OMG Aero

True Area 53 > Nonaggression
True Area 53 is my absolute favourite Sonic level name because what the fuck does that even mean?
Is Area 53 the Sonic world version of Area 51? And is the name suppose to be saying "yo area 51 is fake, the real area 51 is SPACE"?

Village

The latest issue of Universe is pretty good.

This is true.

Universe has been way more on point that regular sanic lately. Epically with that tails adventure coming up

Shadow on his continued path of mutalation and destruction. First vaporization, then blasting a hole through someone, every chapter with him in needs to have nondiscussed mutilation.

Top Bottom