• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

As much as I liked the previous crossover... just why, though?

The comics have been needing to get back on track for a while. Sonic feels like it's fallen off the wagon and that the Sonic Universe comics feel more consistent than the StH ones because of a lot of the stuff that went on with the comic in the last three years. I haven't really enjoyed the StH comics as much in the last year or so.

Kinda sucks for the Mega Man comics because were only finally getting to the Mega Man 3 arc, and the Super Adventure Rockman arc was finally concluded (and it felt like that arc was going on for a while).

I dunno, I just feel like it's way too soon and both comics really need to get up to snuff before a crossover is even considered.
Well it IS next year. Prolly summer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kind of a shame when the writing in the MM comics feel better than the StH ones, though.

That said, the MMX crossover wasn't as good as it should have been. There was something about it that I didn't like about it towards the end.

I just feel like all three comics need to get back on track before even considering one and throwing them into a crossover in a panic for sales.

Edit: But yeah, like Phantom said, I don't think the MM comics have been doing well even from their inception. It's amazing that they've even gotten this far. It just sucks because I just wanted the MM3 arc done and over with so we can finally get to the Cossack/MM4 arc.

Yea, the reason why there's gonna be another crossover is probably due to the comics not doing as well as they'd hoped, particularly MegaMan. I don't think the MM comics have been doing that well from the start, actually.

EDIT: I'll agree with Schala in that, while I have been enjoying them (especially for little tidbits here and there) the core Sonic series has lacked focus, mainly due to how much time they've spent "world-building". The first two arcs of the reboot ("Countdown to Chaos" and "The Chase") were fine because of how the re-introduced the older characters and noted the changes and problem going on with the new world. "Waves of Change" really had this problem because while it was neat that there was an underwater civilization that had really nice designs, it barely added anything to the current (Ha) crisis at hand. The only things I took from it were the explanation as to why the world's oceans didn't pour out and that Amy learned Mystic Melody and is now a living Emerald radar.

The Universe series doesn't have a problem with this as, while it's still introducing new characters, they stay in the background more while it maintains its focus on the problem at hand.

Yea, the reason why there's gonna be another crossover is probably due to the comics not doing as well as they'd hoped, particularly MegaMan. I don't think the MM comics have been doing that well from the start, actually.

EDIT: I'll agree with Schala in that, while I have been enjoying them (especially for little tidbits here and there) the core Sonic series has lacked focus, mainly due to how much time they've spent "world-building". The first two arcs of the reboot ("Countdown to Chaos" and "The Chase") were fine because of how the re-introduced the older characters and noted the changes and problem going on with the new world. "Waves of Change" really had this problem because while it was neat that there was an underwater civilization that had really nice designs, it barely added anything to the current (Ha) crisis at hand. The only things I took from it were the explanation as to why the world's oceans didn't pour out and that Amy learned Mystic Melody and is now a living Emerald radar.

The Universe series doesn't have a problem with this as, while it's still introducing new characters, they stay in the background more while it maintains its focus on the problem at hand.

Wut?

Sciz

As much as I liked the previous crossover... just why, though?

Because Worlds Collide sold loads and produced a sales spike for all three series after the fact.

Anyway, this was stealth announced as a "limited series" (caveat: secondhand information) a while ago, so my guess is this'll be a four-issue series running concurrently with everything else.

edit: Never mind, word of god is that it's happening in the books proper again. Devil's in the details, I guess, and we'll get those tomorrow.

That said, the MMX crossover wasn't as good as it should have been. There was something about it that I didn't like about it towards the end.

The X half was great. The classic half seemed like a contractual obligation so people weren't suddenly getting four issues of a completely different series. Sowed some seeds for MM4 though, so it wasn't a complete wash.

How well do you think the Mega Man comics are doing? Because based on the speed they decided to do this and the MMX crossover, it's probably worse than that.

Their published sales numbers aren't great (tracks a little under Universe, which itself runs a bit under StH), but they also haven't really changed any since the series started. It's hard to tell how well Archie properties are doing because they're in so many markets that aren't tracked by the comics industry, and they've been pushing digital hard for a while now too. I'm almost certain the X material was all done for the sake of drumming up fan interest in an independent X series, going by how the letters page keeps telling people to write in about it.

Doubt they're worried about sales, specifically.

Phil S.

Banned
I keep getting bothered by someone to read the comics, even having several brought up to my room. They just sit there, and then they're taken back downstairs.

I'd love to take some time to sit down and soak them in. Then again, I want to sit down and take time to do a lot of things: binge watch all seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt, beat some backlog games, erase memories of ever being excited for Sonic Boom's duo of games, etc.

yFHQPkZ.png

I don't mind another crossover, but to make it this soon, and to interrupt the Sonic comic again after the first one did because [I would assume] of the whole legal mess?

Not sure how to feel about that.

Speaking of comic, the latest issue had a particularly interesting new Eggman lackey.
Small, somewhat cute, and legit loyal to him.

Tizoc

I was under the impression that the Megaman comics were doing well?

TimmiT

there is a movie coming out? UHH! It is probably going to live-action CGI trash like that Fanmade one with Doug Walker and some other random Youtube celebrities.

It's gonna be a mix of live action and CGI. The two writers, Van Robichaux and Evan Susser, have mainly done comedic stuff though. In particular a couple of Funny or Die sketches.

Also Marza, the animation studio behind the CG cutscenes in Sonic games, is doing the animation. So it should be well animated at least.

Tizoc

So...I kinda ragequit on New Yoshi's Island.
I was in stage 4-1, and died 3 times because of getting the freakin' red coin in the area with the balloons.

I should give it another try but...I don't like how the game got me frustrated like that. It's a very simple section yet I'm fucking it up badly.
On the other hand I'm not feeling motivated to go through it again and risk doing badly in the next 2-3 stages @_@

I don't think it's a bad game but it's not been entertaining me a lot lately.

Also everyone with a Vita should start playing Velocity 2X, that's a GotY contender for me. Simple and fun.

So...I kinda ragequit on New Yoshi's Island.
I was in stage 4-1, and died 3 times because of getting the freakin' red coin in the area with the balloons.

I should give it another try but...I don't like how the game got me frustrated like that. It's a very simple section yet I'm fucking it up badly.
On the other hand I'm not feeling motivated to go through it again and risk doing badly in the next 2-3 stages @_@

I don't think it's a bad game but it's not been entertaining me a lot lately.

Also everyone with a Vita should start playing Velocity 2X, that's a GotY contender for me. Simple and fun.

Huh, I just reached this stage as of last night, I'd say the horror awaits but I'll live without 100 scores or else I'd be driven mad by red coins.
Of course I got the game free with some NoE promotion last week instead of actually paying for it, surprisingly not hating the heck out of like despite looking forward to the idea of hating the heck out of it.
See this is what happens when you set your expectations so low you can't help but be somewhat surprised, of course it's still thoroughly mediocre clinging to its SNES legacy so hard it makes NSMB sequels look fresh what with stages turning up in the same spots with the same gimmicks as back in 1995.

Kart94

Banned
It's gonna be a mix of live action and CGI. The two writers, Van Robichaux and Evan Susser, have mainly done comedic stuff though. In particular a couple of Funny or Die sketches.

Also Marza, the animation studio behind the CG cutscenes in Sonic games, is doing the animation. So it should be well animated at least.

yeah well it can't be any worse than that fanmade "movie" made a couple of years ago.

also to Tizoc: yeah The Artoon Yoshi Island games are just ok at best.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
I'm uncomfortable with Sonic breaking the fourth wall so blatantly

I'm honestly hoping for more stuff like that. I liked those panels alone more than any of the jokes in the TV or game previews. I feel like StH and Universe can already have silly moments, so this one should go WAY out there with humor.

Kart94

Banned
So now it's been confirmed that the Colors/Gens/Lost World writers are penning the story for Sonic Boom 3DS.

Goddammit.

Geez, again? I mean sometimes they can be funny, but otherwise their stories are just too childish. Well at least it guareentes that Eggman will be the best character. They seem to write better villains than heroes

WillyFive

I'm uncomfortable with Sonic breaking the fourth wall so blatantly

It's something extremely common in all Sonic Boom material, and really makes it unlikable to me; not because it's necessarily breaking the fourth wall (The Muppets are amazing due to their mastery of this), but because it's so spammy about it.

Kart94

Banned
Yeah i got to say. I don't mind if once in a while something breaks the fourth wall, but i think too much of it just makes it unfunny and just breaks my suspention of disbelief, Since basically, even the characters know that they are characters *but then again i enjoy Deadpool, so i don't know what i am talking about*

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
Fourth wall breaking can be done frequently and not be annoying if it's not super blatant. I don't know if they want to do that necessarily, but it's possible.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whoa, now. Those dudes are writing for Sonic Boom? I'm done*. It was a nice change in Colours, but Gens/Lost World just lost me on them. The writing became inconsistent or fractured halfway through Gens and into Lost World. D:

Flynn, help. Someone start one of those "twitter campaigns" with hashtags.

Bayo 2 demo is decent. Literally the first night in three weeks where I don't have to do any work at all, so I got to at least play that.

Because Worlds Collide sold loads and produced a sales spike for all three series after the fact.

Anyway, this was stealth announced as a "limited series" (caveat: secondhand information) a while ago, so my guess is this'll be a four-issue series running concurrently with everything else.

edit: Never mind, word of god is that it's happening in the books proper again. Devil's in the details, I guess, and we'll get those tomorrow.

The X half was great. The classic half seemed like a contractual obligation so people weren't suddenly getting four issues of a completely different series. Sowed some seeds for MM4 though, so it wasn't a complete wash.

Their published sales numbers aren't great (tracks a little under Universe, which itself runs a bit under StH), but they also haven't really changed any since the series started. It's hard to tell how well Archie properties are doing because they're in so many markets that aren't tracked by the comics industry, and they've been pushing digital hard for a while now too. I'm almost certain the X material was all done for the sake of drumming up fan interest in an independent X series, going by how the letters page keeps telling people to write in about it.

Doubt they're worried about sales, specifically.
I thought I saw someone on the Bumbleking forums link a bunch of sales reports from direct sales and the numbers weren't exactly stellar, though? Anecdotes don't mean much, but whenever I go to my comic shop, I barely ever see StH/SU issues, but I can still find back-issues and cover variants for the Mega Man comics, so I dunno. I keep forgetting that digital sales are a thing, so maybe they're doing okay digitally? Obviously they're outnumbered by Marvel/DC/whatever Dark Horse puts out, but I guess they might be tracking a little better than we realize? Never saw those numbers be any stellar outside of a bump during and slightly after Worlds Collide and the first issue of the comics.

And yeah, I didn't expect them to be their own issues. They'll happen during the comics' runs proper instead.

Looking back on it, I don't entirely mind it being part of the StH books or SU. It's just the MM books I'm concerned with.

Oh.

Right.

That.

I think I saw an ad for that on the back of one of the comics. Nah, son. Schala don't want any part of that business. I said, "yeah, this'll be good for kids" a while ago, and that's completely true. Not directed towards me or my age group so I think I'll just treat it like the non-entity Sonic Underground was. It's like that new TMNT show; my brother watches it and he thinks it's okay, but it's just not for me.

...think of this as me trying to rationalize my decision not to care about it.

...I don't even watch TV anymore because no time, so it doesn't matter. :(

I'm uncomfortable with the term "jungle badger"
They must've been smoking some badly-grown pot in that marketing department.

*I'm not "done", but more dissatisfied and this is where i say i made a joke because no one ever seems to know when I'm joking. :(

Sciz

I thought I saw someone on the Bumbleking forums link a bunch of sales reports from direct sales and the numbers weren't exactly stellar, though? Anecdotes don't mean much, but whenever I go to my comic shop, I barely ever see StH/SU issues, but I can still find back-issues and cover variants for the Mega Man comics, so I dunno. I keep forgetting that digital sales are a thing, so maybe they're doing okay digitally? Obviously they're outnumbered by Marvel/DC/whatever Dark Horse puts out, but I guess they might be tracking a little better than we realize? Never saw those numbers be any stellar outside of a bump during and slightly after Worlds Collide and the first issue of the comics.

That's the thing, though, those numbers track direct comic shop sales and nothing else, while Archie has historically built their entire business model around subscriptions and mass market retail. None of these series would still exist if they were putting up anywhere near four digits month after month.

Tizoc

Glad to see you back Schala~

My ranking for the comics is: Megaman=Universe>StH

Huh, I just reached this stage as of last night, I'd say the horror awaits but I'll live without 100 scores or else I'd be driven mad by red coins.
Of course I got the game free with some NoE promotion last week instead of actually paying for it, surprisingly not hating the heck out of like despite looking forward to the idea of hating the heck out of it.
See this is what happens when you set your expectations so low you can't help but be somewhat surprised, of course it's still thoroughly mediocre clinging to its SNES legacy so hard it makes NSMB sequels look fresh what with stages turning up in the same spots with the same gimmicks as back in 1995.

I wouldn't 100% it either, but honestly, I couldn't get into Yoshi's Island on SNES, tried twice but no dice. I GET why it gets praised and it does appear as a good platformer, but it's not for me. I would still recommend it though, and if it was on the 3DS eShop (which it can but Nintendo still want to fleece money off of people and we're OK with that), I'd get it.

Kart94

Banned

My ranking for the comics is: Megaman=Universe>StH

I wouldn't 100% it either, but honestly, I couldn't get into Yoshi's Island on SNES, tried twice but no dice. I GET why it gets praised and it does appear as a good platformer, but it's not for me. I would still recommend it though, and if it was on the 3DS eShop (which it can but Nintendo still want to fleece money off of people and we're OK with that), I'd get it.

Well Yoshi's Island is on Wii U at least. *ok the GBA verison, but was still a good port barring a slightly lesser sound quality and being zoomed in*

That's the thing, though, those numbers track direct comic shop sales and nothing else, while Archie has historically built their entire business model around subscriptions and mass market retail. None of these series would still exist if they were putting up anywhere near four digits month after month.

And that's where anecdotal stuff comes in, I guess. With the death of magazines, comic books in supermarkets/department stores have gone the way of the dodo long, long ago, at least around these parts. I haven't seen a Sonic comic on an actual shelf in probably ten years.

Presumably that's where the larger, magazine-style "collections" are coming in. The Sonic Super Special, etc. Those have been popping up here and there among the kids books sections of supermarkets around here, but not especially consistently. Similarly, the Sonic Digests are turning up at checkouts with the Archie digests.

But I have not seen an actual, old school, legitimate Sonic the Hedgehog comic book in a very, very long time.

I avenged you and got the 20 coins of 4-1 in my play of the stage yesterday, missed 2 flowers though, sometimes I wonder just where the heck they hide these things in such short stages by comparison to the previous 2 Island games, they love the invisible ? clouds way too much in this one as well when they hide red coins and flowers in them on a semi regular basis.
But in any case I'm pretty much with you here, I get why it's loved but the series has always lacked that extra enjoyment factor for me and I really don't find the way the game handles its collectables to be a strong point in some ways.

Oh but as for that last point if anything going by the 3DS ambassador copy of Yoshi's Island GBA selling that sloppy emulation on the shop would really be fleecing money off people, horrible motion blur and dull brightness makes the game rather poor to play, though I guess some people would still go for it like this.

Dario ff

Banned
It was a nice change in Colours, but Gens/Lost World just lost me on them. The writing became inconsistent or fractured halfway through Gens and into Lost World. D:
Well with Gens it was understandable since they obviously built the theme/story after deciding what the project was about (Levels, Gameplay styles, etc.), rather than going from the start with the Space Theme Park idea of Colors. When you put average writers to handle that... yeah.

With Lost World I have no idea what happened. They didn't bother trying to explain anything, things just exist and are there because they said so. Wisps being there for no reason is the one that bothers me the most.

<- Still holds the opinion that Sonic games should have no writing whatsoever unless they make Flynn do it, especially if they're considering themselves to be in such a tight budget with all these exclusivity deals. Waste of resources as it is.

Tizoc

I avenged you and got the 20 coins of 4-1 in my play of the stage yesterday, missed 2 flowers though, sometimes I wonder just where the heck they hide these things in such short stages by comparison to the previous 2 Island games, they love the invisible ? clouds way too much in this one as well when they hide red coins and flowers in them on a semi regular basis.
But in any case I'm pretty much with you here, I get why it's loved but the series has always lacked that extra enjoyment factor for me and I really don't find the way the game handles its collectables to be a strong point in some ways.

Oh but as for that last point if anything going by the 3DS ambassador copy of Yoshi's Island GBA selling that sloppy emulation on the shop would really be fleecing money off people, horrible motion blur and dull brightness makes the game rather poor to play, though I guess some people would still go for it like this.

In Yoshi's Island SNES' case I was rather thinking they port the SNES ver. of the game.
We already have Genesis games running on the sucker, it can run SNES games just as fine.

For that matter, that Backbone SEGA Genesis Collection for the PSP is on PSN and Vita compatible...I wanna get it, I need my Shinobi and Sonic 1 and 2 fix on dat glorious OLED even with the Backbone quality T.T

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well with Gens it was understandable since they obviously built the theme/story after deciding what the project was about (Levels, Gameplay styles, etc.), rather than going from the start with the Space Theme Park idea of Colors. When you put average writers to handle that... yeah.

With Lost World I have no idea what happened. They didn't bother trying to explain anything, things just exist and are there because they said so. Wisps being there for no reason is the one that bothers me the most.

<- Still holds the opinion that Sonic games should have no writing whatsoever unless they make Flynn do it, especially if they're considering themselves to be in such a tight budget with all these exclusivity deals. Waste of resources as it is.
Exactly. I may have been joking about the twitter hashtag thing, but if anyone can consistently write the characters, it's him. Plus the comics have thankfully gotten some humour back and became less grimdark after Penders left.

Generations was mostly all over the map in terms of its narrative and fell apart towards the end mechanically, so I guess you can see why the story didn't feel cohesive, yeah.

Lost World is definitely a "???" moment. It felt like only half of the story was there. And whatever story was there, the writing was pretty sub-par.

I dislike a lot of focus on story in games, though, so my general opinion is that platformers shouldn't dedicate an exorbitant amount of time on narrative and cutscenes. It's why I got annoyed with the Japanese version of Gunvolt at the beginning and turned the in-level constant babble off because I can't stand it. Or why I scroll through text in the MM games quickly, or why I'm just so damned tempted to skip cutscenes in Sonic games if I feel like they're going too long or the writing is pretty terrible (ex: Lost World). If the writing is good, then I'll try to enjoy it, but if it isn't, nah. It's why I enjoyed Sonic Unleashed's narrative a lot and sat through all of the cutscenes. But Lost World? Man, that game tested me.

How I like RPGs is beyond me, all things considered. But with how long cutscenes have become, and the fact that you can't scroll through text as fast as your reading speed goes anymore, I feel like my patience is getting tested 80% of the time. :V

That version is suck and I wouldn't recommend it to people. Awful motion blur, and the music isn't right. And I hate that they added sound clips to a lot of those SNES -> GBA ports back then. No thanks.

But I have not seen an actual, old school, legitimate Sonic the Hedgehog comic book in a very, very long time.
Pretty much. I have to "preorder" my comics at my store. There are a few at bookstores like Chapters, though. At supermarkets, variety stores or department stores, though? Not really. I was surprised when I went into a variety store a few years ago--where I first started getting Sonic comics as a kid--and didn't see anything at all.

Not back. Just bored, and this thread is on a topic of conversation that I want to take part in.

Mostly wanted to sign in only to PM a few people to see how they're doing lately since I don't get to hear from them elsewhere, but I forgot to do it last time and I don't have time to do it now.

I tend to forget Lost World had much of a story beyond "here is the lost hex, these are the bad guys" but that's probably because my mind would rather ignore the whole cyborg Tails deal which I only just remembered.

In Yoshi's Island SNES' case I was rather thinking they port the SNES ver. of the game.
We already have Genesis games running on the sucker, it can run SNES games just as fine.

For that matter, that Backbone SEGA Genesis Collection for the PSP is on PSN and Vita compatible...I wanna get it, I need my Shinobi and Sonic 1 and 2 fix on dat glorious OLED even with the Backbone quality T.T

It does bug me that the SNES version is still missing as are all the games heavily involving the Super FX chip to my knowledge (I want my Stunt Race FX darn it!), there's various theories out there as for why they aren't on the VC from licensing to emulation woes but in the end its another unanswered mystery like the removal of the DKC trilogy which pains me so.

I played the PSP collection one time, but not enough time spent with any one game to determine if they were backbone'd or not. Still the Ultimate collection on PS3 seemed mostly okay to me, mostly.

That version is suck and I wouldn't recommend it to people. Awful motion blur, and the music isn't right. And I hate that they added sound clips to a lot of those SNES -> GBA ports back then. No thanks.
It's no longer a flutterjump if he doesn't sound constipated, who thought this was a good idea?
I will however defend Super Mario Advance/Super Mario Bros 2 to the death simply because Raspy Toad is just hilarious to me.

I tend to forget Lost World had much of a story beyond "here is the lost hex, these are the bad guys" but that's probably because my mind would rather ignore the whole cyborg Tails deal which I only just remembered.
It barely even qualified as "cyborg", anyway, it was literally what you'd get if you dressed Tails up as a robot for Halloween.

Kart94

Banned
The deadly six seemed to be just there. They are almost as one-note as a boss from the Super Mario Bros series. Heck when you beat them the last time, they just stright up disappear.

Top Bottom