• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

WillyFive

Sonic Boom 3DS plays really well to my surprise. I would love to play a Mario game with the premise of exploring levels like this and using characters with different abilities to progress and find new areas.

Problem is, the game doesn't feel like it was ever intended to be a Sonic game at all; it was very suspect seeing videos of both the Wii U and 3DS games, but now playing the 3DS game, it's hard to imagine anyone went into beginning development of this game knowing it was a Sonic game, especially considering how Sonic himself plays in this game.

HUELEN10

Dammit, the more I play the demo the more I like it, but how could they fuck up the eyes? Why are they GRAY?

But yeah, I find it solid. Happy to know that at least the 3DS game is better than Lost World. God, to heck with that game...

Tizoc

So, trying to finalize stuff for the Sonic Boom OTs today so they launch on the 8th (show comics and merch) the 11th (The games).

I have 2 threads (1 on Gaming, one on OT) in mind, not 3, (2 on gaming, 1 on OT) as I think there should be only 1 thread for both games. Sonic Generations OT And Sonic Lost World OT both covered 2 different games, and I don't see why this should be different for Rise Of Lyric and Shattered Crystal, specially considering that they now launch on the same day. What are your guy's thoughts on doing it this way?

Oh so you'll do the OT for the cartoon then? Sorta saves me the trouble, I'm sadly too lazy to get around to writing it T.T
Also SMT4 can be addicting.

Hey guys

3eeWI1G.jpg

XH6n2ZT.png

What's going on in this thread

RobbieNick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMU2xGU-ym8

Didn't think this game would be good for speed runs. Turns out I was proven wrong. Athough it does show a big flaw in the design.

Dev 1 - "Hey! Make sure you fix it so that Sonic can't air dash only once before hitting the ground. Otherwise it could be game breaking. Anyway, gotta go. Bye!"

Dev2 - "Bye! Wait, what was that thing you said?"

Anyway, I'm enjoying the demo myself. It's not too different from what I played at E3.I think how you enjoy it depends on what you're looking for in the game. If you enjoy a "Metroidvania" (UGH! I hate using that term, but it fits) 2-D title where exploration is the main key, you'll like it. If you are looking for your typical Sonic "high-speed action platformer" as Iizuka says, you're gonna be a bit dissapointed.This feels like Unleashed all over again where I'm one of the few people who like it.

Tizoc

Other than Sonic and co. being slow, I liked the demo.
OK actually them being slow bothers me, especially when I have to hold the Y button to run =_=

RobbieNick

The worst thing is the spindash (hold and release X while on the ground). No mater how long you hold it when released, it goes the same slow speed and is completely useless in the level. Why does it exist?

Also, I gotta admit that Rise of Lyric is starting to look good as it heads towards home base. Check out this Japanese footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW6rWIjcE5o

Within a minute of the Boom demo I was dragged out of the opening stage in order to control a remote control submarine minigame before even stumbling into the tutorial prompt for jumping, good to see this game had its priorities straight.

As I gingerly jogged forward across some token cartoon beach (fantastically titled seaside beach, I know Sonic ain't always one for names but come on) with generic tropical music making a faint attempt to set the scene the full weight of the games marketing tie in status hit, why was I playing this? I knew going in that I was effectively playing a licensed kids game with a few Sonic tropes thrown in to justify the hedgehog himself, indeed they seem to have brought across heavily automated spring, loop and corkscrew sections as tribute scattered amongst Boom's newfangled grapple beam and sort of open level design, not really sure they fit in but hey its obligatory I suppose.
There's nothing drastically wrong with what's going on in here in a bad Sonic game sense, there just ain't anything right either, it's seemingly as by the numbers as they come. Traversal often feels like waiting for the next marker prompt to appear on screen, the process of flinging from grapple point to grapple point before flying off to bounce off an enemy and hit a spring isn't exactly dissimilar to how other numerous other Sonic games play out such a scenario except with a more lethargic pace due to the games slower nature and for this demo stage at least that really felt like the meat of the game without much else to keep things interesting, a plodding 6 or 7 minute trawl that fails to engage.
The level design itself seemed to just meander around, I thought the goal was yet another slingshoting point, imagine my relief when the stage complete screen popped up detailing the collectables I had obtained and missed, needless to say I wont be returning to mop up the rest.

Oh but lucky me, two more demo stages remained, the worm tunnel which was basically two minutes of quickstep tedium and a race against JC's favourite Jungle Badger which is basically a more flowing version of the boost and grapple elements of the first stage and when I say flowing I mean in that hold right to win sense, well if nothing else Sticks kept up to keep it somewhat interesting, boy those jungle badgers sure can run...wait, that didn't come out right.

SO YEAH ANYWAY, Sonic Boom is thoroughly unexciting but you already knew that.

Hello SonicGAF

I felt like I should do away with lurking the thread after so long and actually start contributing cuz you all seem like cool people.

And contribute I shall
except I haven't played the demo and I probably won't bother

Kart94

Banned
I tried the demo of the 3ds verison of Sonic Boom. It is boring. The stage goes on far too long by Sonic standards. I really don't think the metroidvania fits Sonic well, and it feels exactly like i thought it would feel like: A game that is ok at best, but is really there to promote the Tv show. I will say the worm Tunnel stage was fun.

Kart94

Banned
...how many of us here have actually played the demo

because I refuse on moral grounds

All you really need to know is that it is an ok at best tie in to a cartoon that is absurdly early on saturday morning. not anything i would buy unless at a discount price, but nothing i would object to if it ends up in my stockings on Christmas morning either.

JC can at last rest easy, Seven Rings in Hand has made the jump to SSB Wii U.

For those curious at all the music so far we've got these returning from brawl
- Green Hill Zone
- Angel Island Zone
- Open Your Heart
- Live and Learn
- Sonic Heroes
- His World Instrumental

And these newcomers
- Escape from the city
- Wonder World
- Windy Hill Zone 1
- Rooftop Run (generations, not unleashed)
- Reach for the Stars

Not a single one is remixed, still drawing the short straw of the third party reps it seems.
I guess some of the missing brawl tracks like Emerald Hill Zone may be unlocks.

HUELEN10

Still trying to gather international info for the Cartoon OT. I still can't believe Pac-Man gets more love on TV than Sonic, that's depressing. Disney XD believes in Pacster more than CN believes in Sonic. I still am excited about the show though.

Cartoon OT will be a normal OT, but after a decent reception of the Dr Luigi thread, I've decided to do something special for the game OT. Here's a taste of what's to come.
p246942.gif

Inspired by the Japanese Sonic Adventure ads, of course.

I thought that Enerjak arc was pretty great. Enerjak's probably one of the only things from the Knuckles comics that I actually liked.

I do think it was pretty silly how much they played up the "Who is this new Enerjak?!?" angle, when it was painfully obvious that it was Knuckles, though.

Sciz

I thought that Enerjak arc was pretty great. Enerjak's probably one of the only things from the Knuckles comics that I actually liked.

I do think it was pretty silly how much they played up the "Who is this new Enerjak?!?" angle, when it was painfully obvious that it was Knuckles, though.

Well, the original plan was for it to actually be a twist and turn out to be Remington. That got axed when they realized no one remembered who Remington was.

Well, the original plan was for it to actually be a twist and turn out to be Remington. That got axed when they realized no one remembered who Remington was.

That's a pretty fair concern. Even with his cameo, I had to sit back for a minute and two and actively remember who he was.

Village

an opinion article by segabits on what modern sonic could learn from classic Sonic. thought some people might be interested in reading it. I know this thread is very passionate about Sonic :O

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/11/07/opnion-what-modern-sonic-can-learn-from-classic-sonic/

I don't agree with this notion
Werehogs, slow characters and any drastic departure from the Sonic formula. If I want to play a beat-em-up or a fishing game I’d play Yakuza or SEGA Bass Fishing. Not Soni

Eh, sonic like mario can be anything, fighting game racing ect.

I don't really mind sonic combat, my issue with sonic combat is 2 things

1) its half assed

2)it feels like someone at sega or whoever feels like kids can handle fast platforming, but fast combat must burn their brains. And always make the combat slow, kids can handle it. Speed it up maybe take some lessons, there is a whole company who makes bayonetta who could totally do combat for you , or show you .

But ratchet and Clank all for one though

Thats who you get to develop the game, mhm. Imma stop , its to... holy shit its 4 am, well its too early in the morning for this rant.

WillyFive

Yeah, those games where Sonic becomes very different (like he wields a sword or becomes a Warewolf) are not bad because they are different; they are just bad because they are bad games. If a Mario game had him wield a sword or become a werewolf, it would be good; because Nintendo takes a concerted effort to make good games and release them only when they are ready, unlike Sega who would ship a game out even if it I needs another year of development time for it to be any good (like Sonic 06 and NiGHTS 2).

Falk

that puzzling face
because Nintendo takes a concerted effort to make good games and release them only when they are ready, unlike Sega who would ship a game out even if it I needs another year of development time for it to be any good (like Sonic 06 and NiGHTS 2).

Development is very different when you're playing on your own turf vs someone else's turf.

OMG Aero

The werehog combat would have been fine if either the enemies had less health or they just started you off at max level strength, the main problem with the werehog combat is it took too long to kill anything.

Edit: ALSO REMOVE THE FUCKING BEES

Kart94

Banned
so who here has bothered to wake up early enough to watch Sonic Boom? If so how is it? Is it just as bland as Pac-man and the Ghostly adventures?

oh and Sonic Unleashed werehog would have more tolerable if it didn't last forever. Some of those night stages drag on forever.

edit: Btw... lol http://www.tssznews.com/2014/11/07/sonic-boom-review-copies-yet-to-be-sent/ not a big fan of big review sites in general, but this is almost as huge of a alarm as a movie not being screened to critics.

Dario ff

Banned
I'm not kidding when I say the night stages seem a lot more tolerable with the SA2 raps and Knuckles. I mean I don't want to self-promote the mod anymore than I already did, but it's kind of amazing how much having 4 different battle songs rather than 4 variations of one changes the game.

The medal collection is still awful tho and I'm so glad we removed the limits for the stream (except for that small accident with Jungle Joyride).

Pietepiet

JC can at last rest easy, Seven Rings in Hand has made the jump to SSB Wii U.

For those curious at all the music so far we've got these returning from brawl
- Green Hill Zone
- Angel Island Zone
- Open Your Heart
- Live and Learn
- Sonic Heroes
- His World Instrumental

And these newcomers
- Escape from the city
- Wonder World
- Windy Hill Zone 1
- Rooftop Run (generations, not unleashed)
- Reach for the Stars

Not a single one is remixed, still drawing the short straw of the third party reps it seems.
I guess some of the missing brawl tracks like Emerald Hill Zone may be unlocks.

They took out Right There, Ride On????

Also why do they insist on adding every bad theme? :\

Razzer

I like the vocal themes in a cheesy way, but goddamn, when there's so much good music to choose from it's kinda grating that they put in five songs with lyrics.

Village

The werehog is a bad concept in general I think .

It completely eliminates the need for knuckles to exist, just use knuckles.

" he's big strong angry sonic "

You have like 3 of those.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm hoping wonder world is an arrangement. The original would be somewhat boring.
Nope, they're all the original versions (Rooftop Run is Modern remix). If they were gonna do that I'd trade all the vocal themes for some Unleashed and Colors tunes.

They took out Right There, Ride On????

Also why do they insist on adding every bad theme? :\

Hey now those are all good additions, even the vocals ones are on the upper tier of cheesy vocals, hang on a new challenger approaches...
...well shit.

At least it ain't seven versions of the same track clogging up the series selection, I can already here the slight variations of drums opening DK Island Swing.

Top Bottom