• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

TimmiT

Hey guys how is Sonic Boom Rise of Lyri-
m6RQOV.gif

Village

Let me look at this sonic boom video

" oh.. so just outlined the plot for like .... 4 games and the show.... with in like... a few minutes. We just gonna let that hang , ok lets look at the gameplay oh no this looks not good"

* takes out money to buy this game *

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Words can't express how thoroughly amused I am with this.

I'm dying laughing at this while playing Uncharted 2 and a fraction of GAF doesn't want me to buy Sonic Boom outside of Coldman.

This is just profoundly excellent. I could not have asked for anything more. This is a special gift.

How do you all feel about Unleashed's Day Stages in comparison to Colors? I think Unleashed has better stages.

I always found that the stages didn't truly have enough to differentiate themselves from each other outside of the visual aesthetics in Unleashed.
Though there are a few traits more unique to certain stages like the open ice cap and bobsled sections of cool edge, boosting across stretches of water in Jungle Joyride or the winding tree ascension section towards the end of Savannah Citadel, I mostly just recall the stages mostly consisting of the same core elements with some more present in one stage than another like rails being prominent in Skyscraper Scamper.
With only a small selection of these daytime stages on top of that it really felt like the stages were more of a solid base for the boost concept but didn't explore so much in the level design.

Colours still doesn't match the classic Sonic games in unique level concepts but it fares a lot better than Unleashed even if its still using a lot of the same elements, partly because the wisps help add further differentiation and alternative routes, also because of how each individual world tends to have some of their own unique stage elements or structure to work with, say how Planet Wisp often involves ascending up platforming heavy scaffold or that Aquarium Park is the only world with water sections and can also retool the drill wisp ever so slightly, even among the worlds the smaller stages lend themselves more to concepts that wouldn't sustain themselves for longer stages but work well enough in a shorter context like the scrolling spring sections or Cube wisp platform heavy stages. It's all a bit Mario-esque at points with the power up influenced level design and it loses the constant speed focus of unleashed but I find it balances both speed and platforming better, it feels like they built on top of Unleashed's daytime stage structure so while Unleashed may have its moments and the extra visual spectacle sheen I find this a win for Colours.

edit: watching that Boom Knuckles gif with some upbeat jazz in the background, it's taken the form of a floundering dance number

I'm hoping some truly hilarious glitches show up in Boom. Like, some '06 level shit.

Edit:

What's even crazier about this is that Sonic will fall forever after this, because there's nothing that makes him die for leaving the area. You have to reset the game.

Yesssssssss

(I know it's pretty silly to hope for a game to be kinda busted, but it was pretty obvious this game was going to be garbage anyway. At this point, I just want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.)

How do you all feel about Unleashed's Day Stages in comparison to Colors? I think Unleashed has better stages.

Despite Colors obviously being built in Unleashed's mold, I think the design philosophy for the stages are different enough that a comparison doesn't really make sense. Unleashed's day stages are their own unique beast, but if anything, they're a logical evolution from Sonic Rush's stages: They're pretty much blazing fast roller coaster rides that require some memorization and quick reflexes with some light platforming sprinkled in between. On the other hand, Colors is more akin to a Mario game where the levels are shorter, more focused on platforming and power-up use, and each act usually has a unique level gimmick that they run with for the entirety of the act before moving on to the next one.

Personally, I prefer the levels in Colors, but that's because I 1) dislike how Sonic controls in Unleashed, and 2) I'm not the biggest fan of Unleashed's level design.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm torn about Unleashed now.

I really, really liked the tone of the game and the design of the day stages. But after being pampered by Unleashed Project cutting all the fat and presenting those stages with far, FAR better controls, I tried going back to Unleashed to finish off the platinum (you know how I am with those ololo) and I couldn't do it.

I couldn't finish a platinum.

That's how bad it was.

So now I'm unsure if saying I like Unleashed is accurate, because technically I like the Unleashed Project and can't stand Unleashed daytime stages in its vanilla form anymore.

also I was and am kosher with the werehog stages

Village

What's even crazier about this is that Sonic will fall forever after this, because there's nothing that makes him die for leaving the area. You have to reset the game.

Like is there no ingame reset, like a a check point restart system. Or do you have to end the game and restart?

Kart94

Banned
I really need to try out that unleashed project thing sometime. Is it the HD day time stages or the dull as all hell Wii and PS2 Day Light stages or both.

HUELEN10

Wait, you think Generations had better controls than Unleashed? You can't crawl, and the homing attack is the same button

TimmiT

Wait, you think Generations had better controls than Unleashed? You can't crawl, and the homing attack is the same button

Slowly crawling is unnecessary in a game that's about running fast, and the homing attack button being a separate button was just kinda awkward.

Words can't express how thoroughly amused I am with this.

I'm dying laughing at this while playing Uncharted 2 and a fraction of GAF doesn't want me to buy Sonic Boom outside of Coldman.

This is just profoundly excellent. I could not have asked for anything more. This is a special gift.

That's kinda funny cuz I was playing The Last of Us Remastered today, came back to Sonic Boom lookin' like a bootleg Crash Twinsanity PS2 fanmod

Been a great day

Priceless

Anth0ny

LOL these gifs are killing me

this truly is the spiritual successor to sonic 06

I haven't laughed this hard at a sanic game since shadow kicked silver in the back of the head

udivision

Amazing.

Someone needs to create the JonTron/Egoraptor "Sonic 2006 Moment" video using footage from this game.

Top Bottom