• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
So it appears we have entered the Sonic Tomb???

I thought this game was coming out two weeks from now, I was actually gonna order on amazon a week before that, now I'm kinda glad I fucked that up.

Shame though, you literally could've copy-pasted Jak 1 levels and just put sonic in there and I could've been happy.

Pietepiet

I hope SEGA has learned a valuable lesson that just because some people worked on succesful PS2 era platformers, it doens't mean they can make any kind of platformer.

I do hope this doesn't destroy the idea of a western developer making a Sonic game, because there are a lot of people out there who grasp what makes this franchise unique way way WAY more than either Big Red Button or Sanzaru did.

Tizoc

lol I confused SOnic Rivals with the hoverboard racing game XD.
I saw some footage of Rivals 2 and it looks OK, what are its main issues that people didn't like?

TheOGB

Banned
lol I confused SOnic Rivals with the hoverboard racing game XD.
I saw some footage of Rivals 2 and it looks OK, what are its main issues that people didn't like?
I don't remember any glaring issues, it was just mediocre and unnoteworthy.

Pietepiet

I think Rivals' biggest problem is the complete lack of sense of speed and "oomph", for a lack of better word, to anything. Every action feels mundane

NotLiquid

I hope SEGA has learned a valuable lesson that just because some people worked on succesful PS2 era platformers, it doens't mean they can make any kind of platformer.

I do hope this doesn't destroy the idea of a western developer making a Sonic game, because there are a lot of people out there who grasp what makes this franchise unique way way WAY more than either Big Red Button or Sanzaru did.

Personally I just hope it doesn't discourage Sega to keep trying with bigger worlds and characters.

The insularity involved in games like Generations creates a bit of a disconnect for me and I don't think Sonic should settle for outright removal of the elements. Whenever I play Mario games I dont only enjoy the game play but also the cast and the lived-in world - the knowledge that its greater and more involved than just our heroes. Sonic deserves that too, even though Sega rarely have the talent to make it good.

Village

Personally I just hope it doesn't discourage Sega to keep trying with bigger worlds and characters.

The insularity involved in games like Generations creates a bit of a disconnect for me and I don't think Sonic should settle for outright removal of the elements. Whenever I play Mario games I dont only enjoy the game play but also the cast and the lived-in woorld - the knowledge that its greater and more involved than just our heroes. Sonic deserves that too, even though Sega rarely have the talent to make it good.

i completly agree with you, sonic and friends need a word of characters to interact with, to grow I feel. Its one of the things , few , I praise about boom, no humans. Just animal people, doing animal things... in a world that can expanded upon. Thats good. The only humans you need have the last name robotnik, and two of em stay dead so you only really need one. I always felt humans in sonic were always robing sonic world expansion. Because at least with animal characters, you feel like they live together or are of some importance to that world, and will stay. The humans, were one note, not lasting characters that just went away. And on a buisness man ass buisness man level, what fucking kid wants an action figure of the president from sa2? None they want one of knuckles or shadow or some shit. You see them hasbro horses, one of them things could be in the back ground, that dude got 50,000 fan-fictions and 87 vynl figures the next day. They are expanding their world in ways that could not only be interesting could be profitable, good.

There was, at least a beginning to a critical element in this post, but I would like to save that for a critique of sonic boom , I would like to write. More of a were this might go type deal-ey.

Short version
Despite the praise, I have issues with its existence, boom's. They had a production studio create an entire new visual language for this, when they could have just aped the comics for a western version. It probably would have been cheaper, you would already have source material and people working on it that could write a good thing. And a lot of the process would have just been editing out the elements that aren't needed/aren't good ( team dark doesn't need to exist ) and maybe they could have found a better studio to make the games.
BUT, booms here, I'll see where it goes. T.V show is aiight, maybe its like these first two games are penders and every game after these two with be Ian. Maybe that's it, maybe these are the practice go rounds.

GooeyHeat

Sorry to interrupt the Sonic Hurricane surrounding your new release, but would the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World be worth picking up if I could find it relatively cheap?

I'm mostly just wondering whether playing through it would be worth my time. Is it fun?

TimmiT

Sorry to interrupt the Sonic Hurricane surrounding your new release, but would the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World be worth picking up if I could find it relatively cheap?

I'm mostly just wondering whether playing through it would be worth my time. Is it fun?

It's the worst Sonic game ever made.

Not kidding. There are some decent levels, but aside from those it's just frustrating and tedious. I remember there being levels that could take 10-20 minutes, with me constantly wishing that it'd end and noticing that I'm just a third through the level. While Sonic 2006 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric are bad because of how unfinished they are, Sonic Lost World is much worse in that it's terrible because the level design is atrocious. One of our site staff is still recovering from reviewing it.

Don't buy it unless you want to punish yourself.

Village

It's the worst Sonic game ever made.

Not kidding. There are some decent levels, but aside from those it's just frustrating and tedious. I remember there being levels that could take 10-20 minutes, with me constantly wishing that it'd end and noticing that I'm just a third through the level. While Sonic 2006 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric are bad because of how unfinished they are, Sonic Lost World is much worse in that it's terrible because the level design is atrocious. One of our site staff is still recovering from reviewing it.

Don't buy it unless you want to punish yourself.

Thats a hell of a claim, I need to play this

WillyFive

At least the 3DS version of Lost World is better than the terrible Wii U one, especially the normal 3D Sonic sections. The downside are the special stages (and one boss fight), which require you to stand up and move the 3DS around the room to control Sonic. Plus, you can have online multiplayer racing on the 3D Sonic levels, which are great.

WillyFive

Most opinions I've heard are literally the reverse of this - that the 3DS version is that much worse.

Having played both, I can't really see why. Playing the Wii U game was a far more frustrating and unenjoyable experience than the 3DS game, which at some points blew Mario 3D Land out of the water (a few ones, mind you).

Simple and basic things like jumping, flow, and physics were better on the 3DS game; you weren't inundated with pointless items like the Wii U one, and Sonic moved more effortlessly across his environment.

TimmiT

And I really can't see why you could like the 3DS version over the Wii U one. While the Wii U one had it's faults, at least it didn't have levels that had 20 minutes of slowly rolling a snowball while trying to avoid stuff, which was incredibly frustrating and one of the least fun things I've ever done in a video game.

GooeyHeat

Having played both, I can't really see why. Playing the Wii U game was a far more frustrating and unenjoyable experience than the 3DS game, which at some points blew Mario 3D Land out of the water (a few ones, mind you).

Simple and basic things like jumping, flow, and physics were better on the 3DS game; you weren't inundated with pointless items like the Wii U one, and Sonic moved more effortlessly across his environment.

And I really can't see why you could like the 3DS version over the Wii U one. While the Wii U one had it's faults, at least it didn't have levels that had 20 minutes of slowly rolling a snowball while trying to avoid stuff, which was incredibly frustrating and one of the least fun things I've ever done in a video game.
It sounds like both of you could be right, funnily enough. The controls and physics seemed pretty good in the 3DS demo when I played it a while back, so the Wii U version might be worse there. On the other hand, the 3DS version could indeed have some really terrible levels.

I was just curious. It probably really sucks, but it looks more fun than Wii U Boom (not sure about 3DS yet; haven't stopped laughing enough to take a look).

WillyFive

I had fun with that snowball level, it reminded me of Mario 64 and I had a groove moving that ball around. It's not the type of gameplay you usually saw in a Sonic game, and it didn't bother me enough to even think it was bad. The game did have levels that sucked, especially the ones where Sonic's control was pointlessly altered for some dumb reason (like 2D platforming or mach speed levels), but it was better than the Wii U version, where I saw no redeeming gameplay segments whatsover.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
I gotta say though, out of the multimedia storm that this is, I do like the Sonic Boom comic quite a bit. Although it's mostly for the art.

TheOGB

Banned
Can you believe we're now at a point where people look back and speak favorably about Sonic 06

What wild times we live in

Sciz

I gotta say though, out of the multimedia storm that this is, I do like the Sonic Boom comic quite a bit. Although it's mostly for the art.

It took Evan Stanley a couple issues to really get going, but she's been the most consistently fun artist on the book ever since, at least since Ben Bates quit the industry.

at this point, its best to consider Sonic a comic book franchise that occasionally branches out into video games of questionable quality

I don't think there's anything in question about this quality.

I actually feel kinda foolish for allowing myself to genuinely anticipate Sonic games again after Colours and Generations, should have seen the tell tale signs of a return to ruin in advance with Sonic 4 Episode 2 squatting between those two games as something of a smelly turd that still didn't "get it", I thought it was the outlier yet little did I know that Colours and Generations were the outliers all along, WHATTA TWIST!

Sonic Boom Knuckles infinite jumping glitch found: Can skip 80% of game. 1hr speedrun

wkWCIYD4CC_R6RvP2ZG-tRiEUv8Ni2XHG_69ZtP8QIwaASp_GGjpeUlgV4ULhH7g2e5H_A=s28

iby4PGitibQzFH.png

NBA Elite lives

Between this, Assassin's Creed, Driveclub, and Halo MCC, apparently niggas just straight up stop giving a damn about what state they ship their games in. Everybody buy Bayonetta instead

Between this, Assassin's Creed, Driveclub, and Halo MCC, apparently niggas just straight up stop giving a damn about what state they ship their games in. Everybody buy Bayonetta instead

Your lack of specification will lead to PS3 Bayonetta sales and egg on your face.
...Okay, the loading and frame rate hiccups aren't quite on this modern level.

Kart94

Banned
All i know about Sonic Lost World 3ds is that stupid ass special stage where you are moving around with your 3ds like a moron.

anyway, there is just too many games tripping over their own feet trying to get those Christmas sales and it isn't just Sonic boom either.

I finished Sonic Lost World on 3DS and I never want to touch it again. I hated not only the special stages, but also the controls for the wisps, not to mention the rockets. At least the Wii U version got a controls patch which made it more bearable, though I do go back to replay some levels occasionally.

I'm a bit sad that they never did patch whatever the hell you were suppose to get when you cleared all missions.

Bear in mind I still think 06 and Labyrinth are the worst games of the franchise while the 3DS version of Lost World MIGHT follow if we're not counting Shadow, but hey Sonic Boom at least you've now topped Chronicles as the worst game outsourced to a Western developer (should have known better when 3/4s of the studio talent pool were Shovelware/Low-Tier studios).

I'm a little curious as what the hell happened to Sanzaru games with this, weren't they a relatively decent studios?

Can you believe we're now at a point where people look back and speak favorably about Sonic 06

What wild times we live in

These people have not ever played Sonic 06 seriously. Ever tried to S-Rank the fucker, instead of herp-derping through the stages to a C-Rank.

Scars.

ShadiWulf

No.
Please no.

If you think the game is bugged now just wait until DSP plays it! He manages to find bugs no one else ever does.

I know a lot of people don't like him, but I genuinely enjoy his videos, hopefully Sonic Boom wins the poll. Really want to see him play it.

Top Bottom