• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

I haven't heard any news surrounding Boom 3DS outside of the demothat was released a while ago. It's mainly been the Wii U version I've seen being panned.

well I've seen
the game cutscenes
and
the special unlock for all badges
...to tell you the truth, it's not that much better and if anything the former points out that
we need new writers as Pontac and Graff haven't improved at all.

Where's the option to vote that DSP plays through a minefield?
Would probably complain about how buggy the field is
"THIS IS BULLSHIT! THERE ARE TICKS IN THIS FIELD? HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT! AND NOW I HAVE LYME DISEASE BECAUSE I WAS WEARING SANDALS IN THIS FIELD? DUDE, THAT'S FUCKED UP! FUCK YOU, REAL LIFE DEVELOPERS! MAYBE YOU SHOULD REMOVE ALL OF THE BUGS FROM YOUR REALITY, YOU PIECES OF SHIT!"

NotLiquid

I'd like to think DSP holds some kind of crowning achievement for being both terrible at everything and that the novelty of pointing and laughing at him for it wears off really fast.

J@hranimo

Banned
SO now that this side game is out, is anyone looking forward to the real Sonic game actually made mlbt Sega? It should be the Generations team's next project right?

Pietepiet

I can't wait to see what the Generations team has been up to the past three years. Lost World was also a side team as far as I know. Excited!! Generations was my GOTY 2011 so

Village

SO now that this side game is out, is anyone looking forward to the real Sonic game actually made mlbt Sega? It should be the Generations team's next project right?

I'm actually more interested in what the the boom people are going to try and do next.

Because they have started off " strong "

As far as regular sonic goes

If sonic runners is the thing and is what it sounds like, sure i'm looking forward to it.

I'm actually more interested in what the the boom people are going to try and do next.

If sonic runners is the thing and is what it sounds like, sure i'm looking forward to it.

Nothing I have played about Sonic Boom can be described as "strong", unless you mean the smell is strong because the game stinks really bad

I also don't know how you could be excited about Sonic Runners. We know two things: the name and it's attached to Sega's mobile brand. So... have fun with Sonic Dash 2, I guess?

Regiruler

I'm still holding out for them to put design elements from LW in Sonic 2015. I'm willing to bet it's not named Runners, though.
I can't wait to see what the Generations team has been up to the past three years. Lost World was also a side team as far as I know. Excited!! Generations was my GOTY 2011 so
Assuming the dual-team concept is accurate, LW was made by the same people who made colors, so in no way are they a side team.

J@hranimo

Banned

Eh, nothing about this game needs to be replicated on a large scale. They might as well make these Legend of Korra level games where they're 15 bucks and you only get them through the eShop. That way they wouldn't besmirch the Sonic franchise even more >_>

I would LOVE for the Lost World gameplay to be greatly improved and expanded on. It has sooo much potential with the right level design which if the Generations team hasn't lost any key players the next mainline Sonic game can actually be really good.

my god boom is critically being rated worse than 06

I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME

I know you like 06 Anth0ny, but...ugh please no.

Tizoc

Sonic Runners sounds like an iOS game.

I still say make a $10-30 sized game, being a 2D Sonic that takes inspiration from the original Genesis games and not made by Dimps.

Village

Eh, nothing about this game needs to be replicated on a large scale. They might as well make these Legend of Korra level games where they're 15 bucks and you only get them through the eShop. That way they wouldn't besmirch the Sonic franchise even more >_>

I do, I think combat is interesting and they should try and make it good. Just ya know... actually try, get experienced people. I'm gonna write something about this, so i'll go into it later guess.

Edit: sonic boom has brought upon many formal franchise death requests.

" Sonic should die "

That's a self important statement there bucko.

Man, this game is tragic. Made me think back to Stephen Frost's post on the Sega forums from August :/

Tragedies are accidents that happen to good people.

I would assume that if staffers from BigRedButton walked away from the company, they did so intentionally. It was said in one of the earliest interviews that they were initially opposed to being saddled with a licensed game but supposedly "came around" because Sega was more receptive to their needs, being a game publisher and all.

Apparently not everybody "came around" on the idea of working on a licensed game (and perhaps Sega wasn't that receptive).

Kart94

Banned
Tragedies are accidents that happen to good people.

I would assume that if staffers from BigRedButton walked away from the company, they did so intentionally. It was said in one of the earliest interviews that they were initially opposed to being saddled with a licensed game but supposedly "came around" because Sega was more receptive to their needs, being a game publisher and all.

Apparently not everybody "came around" on the idea of working on a licensed game (and perhaps Sega wasn't that receptive).

so that is what apprently had happened? They were given a game that they did not want to make...yeah, what could have possibly go wrong with that?

Pietepiet

Assuming the dual-team concept is accurate, LW was made by the same people who made colors, so in no way are they a side team.

Wasn't Colours developed alongside Generations? There's no way one team would develop two games at the same time.
I was under the assumption that the main Sonic Team was working on Generations right after Unleashed, with a seperate team doing Colours (who then went on to make LW)

NotLiquid

Wasn't Colours developed alongside Generations? There's no way one team would develop two games at the same time.
I was under the assumption that the main Sonic Team was working on Generations right after Unleashed, with a seperate team doing Colours (who then went on to make LW)

Judging by the credits for Colors/Generations, many of the people involved in Colors were relocated/merged with the Generations team to help finish the game.

It's hard to really determine "who" is behind what lately. There's not many comprehensive credits lists and the machinations surrounding Sonic Team's operations switch up quite often. People only assume the Colors team did Lost World because some of the names were caught in that game's credits but I don't think we know how it's divided right now. I'm not really sure whether there "exists" a Generations team at the moment.

Sciz

There was a statement at the time that the Colors team was absorbed back into the rest of Sonic Team to finish Generations. Not sure what the spinoff team is doing lately either. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise if they spun a group back off to produce Lost World, but we don't know anything for certain about the structure of the department at the moment.

There was a statement at the time that the Colors team was absorbed back into the rest of Sonic Team to finish Generations. Not sure what the spinoff team is doing lately either. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise if they spun a group back off to produce Lost World, but we don't know anything for certain about the structure of the department at the moment.

I poked around the credits for Sonic Lost World, and some of the names attached to it did indeed come from Colors/Black Knight/Secret Rings, so there's that, at least

Makes it all the more weirder that (most of) the staff behind what's probably the single most focused 3D Sonic entry (Colors) went on to develop arguably the most unfocused 3D entry.

Toparaman

Banned
I also posted this in another thread, but:

What do you guys think about the following 3 fundamentals for a good 3D Sonic game?

1. Make Sonic control like a car. I think Sega has had the wrong approach to controlling Sonic in 3D space all along. Sonic is as fast as a car, so why does it make sense to control him like Mario? He should have acceleration, steering, and breaking controls. This in turn encourages the game levels to be built more along the lines of, say, a Mario Kart course, but hopefully with some platforming here and there, and with less linearity.

2. Use the classic Sonic design. This is more important than you might think. The design of Sonic drives the tone of the entire surrounding game. Using classic Sonic limits the voice acting, the edgy 'tude, and the shitty friends. It also encourages an overall aesthetic more akin to the Genesis titles.

3. Don't let Sonic Team develop it. Otherwise there's no way the old 3D games won't influence this one. Instead the game should be developed by an experienced action or racing game studio. Platinum Games would be the dream choice.

WillyFive

I also posted this in another thread, but:

What do you guys think about the following 3 fundamentals for a good 3D Sonic game?

1. Make Sonic control like a car. I think Sega has had the wrong approach to controlling Sonic in 3D space all along. Sonic is as fast as a car, so why does it make sense to control him like Mario? He should have acceleration, steering, and breaking controls. This in turn encourages the game levels to be built more along the lines of, say, a Mario Kart course, but hopefully with some platforming here and there, and with less linearity.

2. Use the classic Sonic design. This is more important than you might think. The design of Sonic drives the tone of the entire surrounding game. Using classic Sonic limits the voice acting, the edgy 'tude, and the shitty friends. It also encourages an overall aesthetic more akin to the Genesis titles.

3. Don't let Sonic Team develop it. Otherwise there's no way the old 3D games won't influence this one. Instead the game should be developed by an experienced action or racing game studio. Platinum Games would be the dream choice.

1 sounds very experimental, I don't know what to say about it since I have no idea how that would work well.

With 2 I think Sonic needs a new design that combines both classic and 'modern'. Classic looks good, but is no longer edgy or attitude-like, which is what made him stand out back in the days of Mario; but it's not 1991 anymore. Modern was a good update to keep up his edge in 1999, but that was also a long time ago. There needs to be a new design to bring his shtick home; and Sonic Boom's commercialized committee design is not going to do it.

3, I think Sonic Team could develop something good if they were given the time to do it, instead of constantly shipping out a product that would have been so much better if it was given another year to be polished.

NotLiquid

I imagine a lot of people would object to the idea and I can see why. I'm not going to lie; some of my favorite moments playing anything "Sonic-related" in 3D is playing Trackmania and using a Sonic skin over it. Surprisingly satisfying to control all things considered but none of it accounts for combat and platforming.

I disagree, as I find the modern Sonic just as appealing as Classic Sonic on a design-basis. That and I really think people overstate just how "important" it is for Sonic to have to revert to the classic design. He still has a sleek, universally acknowledged look to him. In fact, I'd argue that part of the reason he's so popular to this day is because of his design. It has a timeless quality to it, and for the most of the part the modern Sonic design post-Unleashed is the most balanced iteration of Sonic by far, with shorter limbs, more expressions and generally a more rounded appearance.

Platinum Games does not need to be responsible for every game ever, but that aside Sonic Team has had a decent streak so far that shouldn't have to be undermined. Adaptability is the only key issue here. The Sonic Unleashed formula took its time to take off, but they eventually refined it to a state where it was legitimately the basis for a great game. Sonic Team is relatively competent for the most of the part these days, its just a matter of them accustoming to the playstyle they choose for each game.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm sorry guys. It's finally happened.

I used to joke about it, but I actually can no longer tell when people are trolling. For real this time.

I imagine a lot of people would object to the idea and I can see why. I'm not going to lie; some of my favorite moments playing anything "Sonic-related" in 3D is playing Trackmania and using a Sonic skin over it. Surprisingly satisfying to control all things considered but none of it accounts for combat and platforming.

I've been saying Sonic needs to control like a car ever since playing Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. In that, you can hold R2 to make Hulk accelerate and while he's running he has drift and stuff like a vehicle. It feels REALLY good!

Trackmania with the Sonic Skin is another good example, yeah. Also, this Mario Kart Wii mod.

Technically, Sonic Unleashed and Generations already make Sonic control like a car. When you boost, you can let go of holding forward on the analog stick and steer exclusively with left and right.

I think at this point Sonic games would do well to lean in to the racing/driving game aspects a lot more.

Also, in general, don't say "don't let Sonic Team develop it". If what I've heard is true, there's barely even a Sonic Team anymore - it's a few figureheads overseeing a revolving door of other Sega developers that shuffle in and out on a game-by-game basis. Sonic Team (the figureheads) can do good work, and have done good work, they just need to get their heads straight and embrace their limitations instead of trying to circumvent them with tedious time wasting junk meant to pad out game length.

Falk

that puzzling face
they just need to get their heads straight and embrace their limitations instead of trying to circumvent them with tedious time wasting junk meant to pad out game length.

This. Thank God they kept Generations short (sad but preferable) rather than forcing you to shoot fish at missing emeralds (horrible)

Just noting that "have somebody else work on Sonic other than Sonic Team" has so far resulted in Sonic Chronicles (a fair-to-middling game with awful music - yes, Beef, you can post it) and Sonic Boom (a mediocre 2D platformer that doesn't play to the franchise's strengths at all and an abysmal 3D platformer that would still be dreadfully boring even if it weren't glitchy). It's not exactly a surefire way to get the franchise back into good game territory.

And I just don't see making Sonic move like a car being in any way satisfying to play. I wouldn't want to play a platformer with Sonic R controls. I can sort of tolerate boosting, I suppose, although it noticeably railroads you to a specific direction most of the time when you do that.

Anth0ny

how to save 3D Sanic:

1. bring back sonic adventure 2 physics
2. bring back the sonic/shadow level design from SA2
3. IMPROVE ON THAT and make it an entire game instead of breaking it up with emerald/mech stages

I don't get what's so hard about that. Since then you've had the weird three character gimmick, taking candy from a baby, which is fine with me, the most glitched game ever made, shitty waggle controls, BOOST BOOST BOOST featuring werehog... you get the picture.

I find it sad that they had something so good with those Sonic/Shadow stages and never managed to improve on that concept.

At this point I'd take BOOST over the fucking shit we've been getting since 2012. Hopefully that's what the real team is working on now. There's no way Boom is continuing after the critical response and inevitable commercial response that comes from being a third party Wii U game.

AniHawk

how to save 3D Sanic:

3. IMPROVE ON THAT and make it an entire game instead of breaking it up with emerald/mech stages

I don't get what's so hard about that. Since then you've had the weird three character gimmick, taking candy from a baby, which is fine with me, the most glitched game ever made, shitty waggle controls, BOOST BOOST BOOST featuring werehog... you get the picture.

I find it sad that they had something so good with those Sonic/Shadow stages and never managed to improve on that concept.

At this point I'd take BOOST over the fucking shit we've been getting since 2012. Hopefully that's what the real team is working on now. There's no way Boom is continuing after the critical response and inevitable commercial response that comes from being a third party Wii U game.

or just make sonic colors 2. they reached a pretty good balance between 'sonic levels' and short platforming challenges based around the different powers. it's the best pacing in a console sonic game since the genesis era bar none.

i also liked sonic colors because there was a little more room for exploration. hell the game begged the player for it by putting red coins in fun little places and based the ranking system on points instead of speed.

how to save 3D Sanic:

It's weird how robust the SA1 and 2 physics engines are, and what crazy but awesome things they allow (like running up walls), but the level designs almost never exploit it, and mostly disguise it by sticking the boost pads everywhere.

I don't know, I feel like they try that, but they can't quite pull it off, and they get bored and want to do something else besides the same thing again. (And it's when they start futzing with those gimmicks where they really fail.) Shadow and 2006 are sort of that way (although Shadow is really all over the map sometimes, it was clearly where they went to experiment with a bunch of different ideas), and to a lesser extent Unleashed and Generations have much of the same design elements as well, even though they're structured differently.

Generations came the closest to reflecting the robust level design of the Genesis games in 3D, but even then it got tunnel vision sometimes.

Razzer

If there's one thing they could improve about SA2 physics, it's running in halfpipes. Green forest can get quite frustrating sometimes cus of this.

i also liked sonic colors because there was a little more room for exploration. hell the game begged the player for it by putting red coins in fun little places and based the ranking system on points instead of speed.

Looking for red rings was pretty awesome in Colors. While they're just kinda sitting in the math level paths in Generations, you have to use the color powers in some pretty unique ways to get to the alternate routes that usually hold them in Colors. I didn't even know Planet Wisp Act 4 had an alternate route through the level until I started looking for the red rings in that level.

ShadiWulf

I just noticed iizuka never made a post commenting on the launch of sonic boom on facebook, he usually does when a sonic game comes out.

Who is ready for Shadow the Hedgehog 2 next year? We've gone too long without a focus on Shadow. I'm sure Iizuka agrees.

Top Bottom