• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Pietepiet

Looking for red rings in Colors was pretty awesome in Colors. While they're just kinda sitting in the math level paths in Generations, you have to use the color powers in some pretty unique ways to get to the alternate routes that usually hold them in Colors. I didn't even know Planet Wisp Act 4 had an alternate route through the level until I started looking for the red rings in that level.

I've learned to appreciate Colours a LOT more recently, especially since I started watching speedruns of it. Great level design.

Basically I hated Colours because it wasn't Unleashed Daytime, but when I stopped viewing it as such I started to like it a lot more

I just noticed iizuka never made a post commenting on the launch of sonic boom on facebook, he usually does when a sonic game comes out.

Who is ready for Shadow the Hedgehog 2 next year? We've gone too long without a focus on Shadow. I'm sure Iizuka agrees.

Shadow 2: Damn Harder
Finally gonna bring back that hard edged storytelling this series needs to grab a new generation of fans.

AniHawk

Looking for red rings was pretty awesome in Colors. While they're just kinda sitting in the math level paths in Generations, you have to use the color powers in some pretty unique ways to get to the alternate routes that usually hold them in Colors. I didn't even know Planet Wisp Act 4 had an alternate route through the level until I started looking for the red rings in that level.

this is what i love in platformers. questioning, 'what if i-' and being rewarded with 'ohhhh cool!'

it's a much better game than it was originally given credit for (not that it was poorly received). to me it's one of the best platformers of the generation. not quite up there with mirror's edge or smg2, but i found the entire experience better than sonic generations and even smg1.

sonic generations is quite great. i just thought it felt a lot more segmented than colors. in order to get everything you had to jump around the hub world and complete kinda dumb side levels like ocarina of timing some music notes back at vector. i liked that the red rings in sonic colors opened up more platforming levels, even though they weren't as neat and complex as the main ones. the overall vision for the game was a lot more complete.

I like to think it speaks volumes about Colours focus that the chaos emeralds are hidden behind mini platforming stages and not some janky special stage or through story events.

OMG Aero

SonicGAF we need to hold an intervention.
zpdKBDe.jpg

People playing Boom know what they're getting into, they're lost to us now, specifically somewhere within (or possibly outside) the scenery of some generic island locale.
Sayanora Schala of the tomes, this is one volume that will not be finished.

Order

I can't believe they managed to make a Sonic game worse than 06. I'm really impressed.

I need Sega to announce their 3D Sonic game so the "Sonic has always sucked" crowd can chill.

Village

Nnnnno I think they went far enough

No, they should have went farther

They made the one of 5 remimaged sonic's I ever seen that has clothes, that is not shit.

Do you know how many clothed sonic's I have seen, even sega made some in concept art and they were kind of shit.

They made a good one, and Sega was like " nah breh TMNT shit". They gave me Steroid knuckles for this? Nah , this is a case of being way to close to your art style.

This is sonic's Old Rufus to SF4 rufus disappointment transformation.

Sciz

Okay, Sonic Boom as a show is actually pretty funny. Not consistently, but a couple of the writers already have a good grip on the characters. Comes off like a compromise between the dedicated absurdity of AoStH and the softhearted adventure of Sonic X.

And it has honest to god badniks, which I really wasn't expecting to see.

Tizoc

Those redesigns are cute, and could work as their own separate character rather than a re-imaging.

SonicGAF we need to hold an intervention.
zpdKBDe.jpg

That's not Sonic 2006 she's playing.
We can hold an intervention THEN.
For now we prepare our popcorn bags for her write up of the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly speaking? A lot of the concept art (yes, even Eggman) was different enough that it was very, very obvious that it wasn't supposed to be the same take on the franchise.

What Boom ultimately became was the equivalent of uncanny valley for a lot of folks. Looks really similar, but... off.

Pietepiet

Nnnnno I think they went far enough

I agree.
I've seen more people say they should've gone further with these designs but to me that just seems like a kneejerk reaction to what Boom is at the moment. I don't think any of these concept designs would've been met well AT ALL.

Sciz

Honestly speaking? A lot of the concept art (yes, even Eggman) was different enough that it was very, very obvious that it wasn't supposed to be the same take on the franchise.

What Boom ultimately became was the equivalent of uncanny valley for a lot of folks. Looks really similar, but... off.

I'd love to hear what the direction given to the concept artists was, because it comes off like someone told them to reinvent the character instead of redesign him, which is how we end up getting interviews about pants where Sega's completely baffled at what these guys are doing.

WillyFive

I agree.
I've seen more people say they should've gone further with these designs but to me that just seems like a kneejerk reaction to what Boom is at the moment. I don't think any of these concept designs would've been met well AT ALL.

Of course they wouldn't have been met well at all, that's irrelevant.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, Sonic-GAF, so far I'm actually really enjoying Sonic Lost World.

I actually think the plot is silly, but kind of fun. I'm really not adverse to talking and cutscenes in Sonic if they're this style.

So, Sonic-GAF, so far I'm actually really enjoying Sonic Lost World.

I actually think the plot is silly, but kind of fun. I'm really not adverse to talking and cutscenes in Sonic if they're this style.

Whereabouts are you? I wasn't too hot on it even at first, but the emerging consensus is that once you get to a certain point in the ice world, that's when the game starts to fall apart.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whereabouts are you? I wasn't too hot on it even at first, but the emerging consensus is that once you get to a certain point in the ice world, that's when the game starts to fall apart.

The Tropical level with the fruit, which was really neat imo.

Village

Uncle Grandpa is Cartoon Network's next great attempt at leaning in to the "lol random" humor department

It is about a man who may actually be mentally handicapped who travels around the world in his van trying to "help" children (and children specifically).

It's REALLY not good.

No I know what it is , I saw two episodes when it first came out and thought it was aiigjht but nothing im going to dvr like gumball or adventure time, Did it go down hill or something?I thought it was a cute show for kids.

NTom64

So I've finally gotten around to playing Lost World Wii U and I gotta say I'm struggling a lot with the controls.

Maybe it's the pad, maybe it's just because I'm not good at it, but I never had these problems with the 3DS version of the game (and that's saying something since the 3DS version sucks).

Not to mention the stupid requirements to reach later levels. I didn't mind it in Unleashed since at least collecting medals is somewhat fun (I like collect-a-thon platformers for reference), but having to rescue arbitrary amounts of fluffy animals is not really a satisfying way of reaching later levels. It's especially jarring after Colours and Gens which were "complete level to advance" and "beat 3 missions to advance".

Overall, I'm not really have a fun time.

NotLiquid

Lost World Wii U's controls are a bit more rigid than the 3DS version but the stages are infinitely more palatable. It takes a bit more time for it to click control-wise. Spin-dashing in particular is a pretty fun terrain-based traversal method once you learn how to use it for speed purposes. I never minded animal-collecting because it wasn't nearly as time consuming as Sun Medal hunting and you can easily get the animals by doing the minigames, which are pretty fun.

The level design does fall apart a bit after the first half. Personally I feel like if you're the kind of person who learns to enjoy the first half, you'll mostly enjoy the game itself in spite of it's shortcomings. If you're not getting into the game though then it might not convince you much later on. Lost World really deserved a lot more time in the oven.

Village

Legitimate question, I'm planning on making a thing.

What is... a good basis on evaluating the beginning of a show.

The first 5 episodes, the first 10? Boom is an interesting beast and I wanna do a thing?

OMG Aero

Legitimate question, I'm planning on making a thing.

What is... a good basis on evaluating the beginning of a show.

The first 5 episodes, the first 10? Boom is an interesting beast and I wanna do a thing?
I think three episodes is the agreed upon amount to watch when deciding if you want to watch a show or not. So if you're doing an article or video or something maybe go with 3 or 5.

Top Bottom