• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

PKrockin

I need to play Sonic Boom before they patch out any of the bugs. It's just so hard to when Dong Freeze, Bayo 2, and MH3U/FU are my other options.

Edit: Wait, I can just not apply the patch. Well then Sonic Boom can wait until next month when I have some free time. Too busy right now to play shitty games.

Village

Read this earlier and felt that this bit was a fine summary...
"It’s an idiotic baby’s game for children, and it exists to sell toys. It also thinks you’re all dumb, and it wears its contempt for you on its sleeve. A sleeve covered in bandages"

Contempt, would be paying that game a compliment.

I need to play Sonic Boom before they patch out any of the bugs. It's just so hard to when Dong Freeze, Bayo 2, and MH3U/FU are my other options.

Edit: Wait, I can just not apply the patch. Well then Sonic Boom can wait until next month when I have some free time. Too busy right now to play shitty games.

Do we know if they're going to patch it?

Sandopolis golem and ICZ to LBZ are obvious.

MGZ panel is in reference to the fairly widespread crumbling terrain there.

MHZ panel refers to the wind trap Sonic hits at the start of Act 2.

CNZ panel is a callback to how Knuckles had to have had secret passages to get around and constantly stay one step ahead of Sonic, thereby letting him bypass otherwise unavoidable obstacles such as the barrel.

Right-middle is less clear, but probably supposed to be a section of Lava Reef, where Knuckles has barred off any passages going deeper to keep people from getting close to Hidden Palace again.

Christ, those last two are a bit obscure...

Sciz

Christ, those last two are a bit obscure...

That's not word of god or anything, just my own interpretation of what's going on. The last one in particular feels like the sort of thing Ian plans to get back to down the line, just because it is fairly vague and mysterious.

edit:

sonic_boom_knux_on_thlie9a.gif

OMG Aero

Because I hate myself I am continuing to watch this dumb Sega anime, but at least it has a sneak peak at the next Sonic game:
MkHRZYx.gif

There are also 2D sections:
RyqFBi5.gif

Then it turns into a weird let's play of Sonic 1 and Sonic Adventure 1 with anime characters taking up all the screen and commentating on it:
drEmNYu.jpg

Then Sonic fights the first boss of Sonic 1 in a weird rainbow tunnel thing while the music from Crisis City plays in the background:
9UV8c4S.jpg

Then Sonic gets an invincibility monitor to deliver the final blow while His World plays in the background:
I6swXTC.gif

In short:
ZQiohwv.jpg

X1lzaLV.jpg

Because I hate myself I am continuing to watch this dumb Sega anime, but at least it has a sneak peak at the next Sonic game:
MkHRZYx.gif

RyqFBi5.gif

Should have made those gifs like I planned.

There was something weirdly charming and somewhat nostalgic about him running across the big open landscape like that, even if he was pretty much glued to the ground.

MkHRZYx.gif

RyqFBi5.gif

Then it turns into a weird let's play of Sonic 1 and Sonic Adventure 1 with anime characters taking up all the screen and commentating on it:
drEmNYu.jpg

Then Sonic fights the first boss of Sonic 1 in a weird rainbow tunnel thing while the music from Crisis City plays in the background:
9UV8c4S.jpg

Then Sonic gets an invincibility monitor to deliver the final blow while His World plays in the background:
I6swXTC.gif

In short:
ZQiohwv.jpg

X1lzaLV.jpg

WTF?!

Psxphile

Reminds me a lot of Noogy's Jazz 2 animation work, albeit at a much higher framerate. Doesn't match the rest of the game at all, though.

Nothing about that game matches well with anything else. Not this cut intro, not those barely-animated cutscenes, not the gameplay, and certainly not the music. I think maybe the only thing that was on point were those promotional artworks:

These deserved to be matched with a better game.

^ And I would've got my reward earlier had Captain Falcon not pulled a Robotnik and used his mere human legs to run away and outpace me doing so.

Replaying Sonic Shuffle because I hate myself

How do you fuck up Sonic Party brehs

My friend already spilled the tea about Sonic Shuffle a while ago:

Oh yeah, another thing I hated about Sonic Shuffle is that you had to move the exact number of space that the card had, but Sonic had a special ability where he would move twice the speed if you picked the same card two turns in a row. For example, I picked a card with a 6 on my last turn. This turn, I'm 6 spaces away from the meteor gem. I have a card with a six on it. Can I move six? NO!! I have to move 12 spaces and eat a dick.

Sonic was the only one that had that ability. Tails, Knuckles and Amy could cut across the board using special board icons placed for them. Which just goes to show you how frustrating that game is when NO ONE on QA bothered to play a whole game as Sonic and catch that.

Seriously though, I'd love it if they made a Sonic Shuffle 2-- but it was actually done well. Larger cards, smaller boards, mini-game every turn like in mario party, unlock stuff in multiplayer, USE ACTUAL Sonic genesis stages for boards, get some of that Sonic Shuffle 1 music in there ALONG WITH remixes/remasters of the original genesis tunes.

All those changes... might as well just start over from scratch and call it something else...

Sciz

The Macy's parade today had a dance routine to a "vintage video game music" medley, whose music included snippets of GHZ (edit: or was it the title theme? can't remember) between the Pac-Man jingles and Korobeiniki.

The Macy's parade today had a dance routine to a "vintage video game music" medley, whose music included snippets of GHZ (edit: or was it the title theme? can't remember) between the Pac-Man jingles and Korobeiniki.
Definitely recall the title theme, but I vaguely recall the GHZ theme too?

Tizoc

So what're your 10 GotY games?
ATM my list consists of:
Strider
Freedom Planet
Gunhound EX
PWvsPL
SMT4
Velocity 2X
DanganRonpa 2
Silent Age Ep. 2

Killer is Dead PC if can count.

zeemumu

I'd like to see a Sonic game with Scourge getting Eggman to work for him and testing Sonic's limits to see if he can cause Sonic to lose so much that he becomes Scourge himself.

Sciz

This is Cryengine 2013 showcase video vs. final product. Goddamn.

Seems like the artists were busy pushing the PC SDK as far as it could go while the programmers were probably desperate to get the Wii U version to even run. Really hope someone's willing to talk about the project down the line.

I'd like to see a Sonic game with Scourge getting Eggman to work for him and testing Sonic's limits to see if he can cause Sonic to lose so much that he becomes Scourge himself.

what

I mean, the character's dead for legal reasons anyway, but this doesn't make sense even in the universe where he actually exists, never mind as the basis for a game.

Village

Well thats never happening because he belongs to the penders.

You remind me I have to investigate .

Also scourge as a character worked because made everyone a better character by just... existing, he was such a shitty hedgehog being that everyone's best qualities were brought out around him . The stories were kinda eh, but the character interactions were pretty great. But he's gone so eh, hopefully they kind find another character for that, maybe its eclipse.

Top Bottom