• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

If I had any sort of those fancy graphic skills I'd have whipped up a Sonic thread cycle image months ago to throw in whenever the cycle itself turns up.
In this case though it's off to a bad start from the word go, polish and modern Sonic are like oil ocean and water palace.
What would you put on this hypothetical graphic

What would you put on this hypothetical graphic

Well here's a few of the recurring posts in most Sonic threads to get the ball rolling.

- "why wont Sega just kill the franchise already?"
- posting of the Sonic cycle whether it fits or not
- Shitty Friends
- claims that Sonic games were in fact never good
- mention of creepy fanbase leading to....
- the posting of awful fanart

Though I'm not sure how I'd structure such a thing, maybe it's more like the Sonic checklist or perhaps Sonic Thread Bingo Highway.

you can also add the whole kissing humans/06 in general. Would complaining about unlocalized SEGA titles instead of making Sonic games also count?

Regiruler

Well here's a few of the recurring posts in most Sonic threads to get the ball rolling.

- Shitty Friends

Though I'm not sure how I'd structure such a thing, maybe it's more like the Sonic checklist or perhaps Sonic Thread Bingo Highway.
I'm a fan of the bingo card idea.
Time Eater and to a lesser extent Egg Dragoon disqualify Generations from "polished" status

There are a few missions where you can do funky stuff, too. I remember launching myself to a really weird place in a Classic Chemical Plant Zone mission where it was like the normal level, but completely empty and with certain parts of the level missing.

Of course, I guess Generations is more polished than most Sonic games.
Those are just two awful bosses and a glitch. Hardly the degree of missing polish like LW's missing, blank, and/or boring transitions.

Village

So are we going check list or bingo on this before i continue?
yj2bU61.jpg

I think just regular 3x3 bingo would work.

There's a new PA comic (which isn't even clever), that may replace the Shitty Friends one in use.

Edit: Maybe a quote from Bingo Highway of Sonic Heroes on the card?

Those are just two awful bosses and a glitch. Hardly the degree of missing polish like LW's missing, blank, and/or boring transitions.

Well, I mean, Time Eater clearly isn't done.

Honestly I don't think Sonic Lost World is missing a lot of polish. To me it just feels like the natural conclusion to a lot of bad ideas.

Village

Well, I mean, Time Eater clearly isn't done.

Honestly I don't think Sonic Lost World is missing a lot of polish. To me it just feels like the natural conclusion to a lot of bad ideas.

I dont think a lot of the bosses in generations were done, the bosses were the weakest links in that game.

Regiruler

The ideas were the strongest part of the game, it was awful execution and lack of proper motivation to do shit that held it back.

Although on that note when has the Super Sonic secret ever been legitimately well balanced? It always feels like a janky mess to play lately.
Lost World's lack of polish is perfectly exemplified by the reward for doing all the missions.

Am I missing something or is that the joke?

Sciz

Although on that note when has the Super Sonic secret ever been legitimately well balanced? It always feels like a janky mess to play lately.

Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and maybe Sonic R if your definition of "balanced" is "fun". The real benefit to the form was that it let you completely ignore everything you'd learned about momentum, and that doesn't exist in games that don't have a concept of momentum. Even the invincibility's lost its luster in the boost era.

Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and maybe Sonic R if your definition of "balanced" is "fun". The real benefit to the form was that it let you completely ignore everything you'd learned about momentum, and that doesn't exist in games that don't have a concept of momentum. Even the invincibility's lost its luster in the boost era.

I particularly hated the fact that the insta-kill walls and bomb-mine cars still killed you despite being Super Sonic.

Lost World's lack of polish is perfectly exemplified by the reward for doing all the missions.

I forgot about that. They added two pieces of level DLC, yet still never fixed that.

Maybe it was supposed to be what ended up as the preorder DLC, and they yanked it out last-minute.

Falk

that puzzling face
So I've figured out what bugs me about Classic sonic in generations.

You jump on an incline and you go straight up instead of off the normal of the incline.

Such a simple concept but it totally changes the way the game feels.

OMG Aero

Would people say Planet Wisp was undone? Or just plain bad level design?

I feel like the ending of the game was just unfinished.
I really liked Planet Wisp. I didn't have any problems with the modern act, and the classic act was essentially Scrap Brain Zone with the Planet Wisp aesthetics which was pretty cool.

Would people say Planet Wisp was undone? Or just plain bad level design?

I feel like the ending of the game was just unfinished.

I think it was an issue of trying to make a final stage out of something with the wrong aesthetic for an end-game Sonic level. Also, it went on WAY too long, and relied on some finicky mechanics.

Regiruler

I think it was an issue of trying to make a final stage out of something with the wrong aesthetic for an end-game Sonic level. Also, it went on WAY too long, and relied on some finicky mechanics.

I thought Generations 3DS using TR as a finale stage was kinda neat, considering it creates book-ends with Colors DS.

I barely remember Planet Wisp.

NotLiquid

The Sonic Boom demo is now out on Wii U so if any of you want to experience a taster of the lovecraftian abyss without ponying up a single dime then you can have at it.

I really liked Planet Wisp. I didn't have any problems with the modern act, and the classic act was essentially Scrap Brain Zone with the Planet Wisp aesthetics which was pretty cool.

I see what you both mean.

I would have loved Planet Wisp if it had more of the beautiful, and lush environment though.

But Modern's shift into an industrial hell, and most of the level being in 2D just felt like it ruined what could have been the most beautiful-looking stage.

I guess it was to make it feel more final level-esque.

I actually quite liked Planet Wisp in the Colors though I would have liked either Starlight Carnival or Aquarium Park as a level choice for Generations, but yea, this part especially.

I see what you both mean.

I would have loved Planet Wisp if it had more of the beautiful, and lush environment though.

But Modern's shift into an industrial hell, and most of the level being in 2D just felt like it ruined what could have been the most beautiful-looking stage.

I guess it was to make it feel more final level-esque.

and yea, that too.

Also, I did not like the music for Classic's stage.

Pietepiet

I recently played Colours again and Planet Wisp never had much of the natural environment. Way more of it was the industrial setting, so I think Generations got it spot on.

Sciz

You look at Planet Wisp's concept art and it's pretty clear that neither game really realized the artists' vision for the place. Probably because it's hard to make interesting level design out of the greenery.

As I've said before, I think they should've made the stage shorter, and budgeted for a "Clockwork Zone" that mish-mashes various level elements together, into what would feel like a proper final stage. It would've tied into the final boss better (who has chunks of various zones floating through the time tunnel, that's the stuff you smash into).

You look at Planet Wisp's concept art and it's pretty clear that neither game really realized the artists' vision for the place. Probably because it's hard to make interesting level design out of the greenery.

Other than setting up some box platforms, I think Action Master did a decent job of it? I don't mind that there's construction equipment in it, actually, it's that you end up dwelling in that part of the stage for much longer, since lots of the fiddly bits are there.

PKrockin

So I've figured out what bugs me about Classic sonic in generations.

You jump on an incline and you go straight up instead of off the normal of the incline.

Such a simple concept but it totally changes the way the game feels.
Yeah, that's the major thing that bothered me about Classic Sonic's physics too. It feels much better when the angle of Sonic's jump is affected by the terrain too. This ain't Mario, a major point of the game's concept is terrain going in all sorts of crazy inclinations including loops. Having a jump that completely changes with it makes the game more unique and requires more skill (not by itself a good thing, but welcome for such a straightforward game with sort of a time-attack focus).

Tizoc

So uh I entered the Mibbit in order to get ready to chat with you guys once PSX starts and GAF crashes and umm...it showed me an entry from Naoshi?

Sciz

Sonic Boom helpfully provided a new birthday cake this week:

sonic_boom_ep_88ckoq.png

There's a lot more stuff I want to screencap from this episode, but it'd spoil all the fun.

Tizoc

Sonic Boom helpfully provided a new birthday cake this week:

sonic_boom_ep_88ckoq.png

There's a lot more stuff I want to screencap from this episode, but it'd spoil all the fun.

Gotta go to a clinic early tomorrow (7ish hour sleep woooooo :V), but I will catch up once I get back, this cartoon has been delivering it for the most part.

Anth0ny

Just finished Bayonetta for the first time.

Holy SHIT. I think I have a new member in my "top 5 games of last gen" list. Fucking phenomenal game. Based Kamiya. My only issue is the cutscenes were a bit too long. I feel like, for the amount of story they were telling, they could have been trimmed down quite a bit. This is especially a problem because the gameplay is fucking SUBLIME. Best character action game I've ever played, with ease. I just want to play, damn it. No cutscenes needed. Every moment I'm sitting here watching a cutscene could have been spent performing another combo.

Usually after I finish a certain game or genre, I feel kinda burned out. Usually want to try something else. I can't play JRPGs back to back. I wouldn't want to play two Resident Evils in a row.

But fuck. I've never been so ready to jump into the sequel to a game. Starting up Bayonetta 2 right now.

So supposedly Boom Wii U only did 25k. And the 3DS version did even less than that.

Yeah, was really smart of them to rush it to go with the cartoon...

Spinluck

- Shitty Friends

:lol

I wish the mods cared, it would put an end to the blatant thread shitting in those threads. There's no way to have a discussion in those threads because those same people won't shut the fuck about how much better they are for not being a fan of anything having to do with Sonic.

Somehow the non Sonic fans are always the first ones in those threads to remind the world that they don't like Sonic or whatever. Ain't that something.

Meanwhile, you say one bad thing about a fucking unfinished Zelda demo...

Sciz

Well that's... unexpected. Not unwelcome, I guess, but... huh.

Go ahead and greenlight an MMX series already Archie, or Flynn's going to spontaneously combust out of sheer anticipation.

Top Bottom