• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

TimmiT

People didn't ignore Sonic 06, they aren't going to ignore Sonic Boom.

Unfortunately.

It's especially bad now, because Sonic was beginning to look like a decent franchise again. While when Sonic 2006 came out, it was just the cherry on top of all the other bad Sonic games that were coming out in that decade.

It's especially bad now, because Sonic was beginning to look like a decent franchise again. While when Sonic 2006 came out, it was just the cherry on top of all the other bad Sonic games that were coming out in that decade.

Yeah, but Sonic Boom is a spin-off not made by Sonic Team, and non-canon. It probably won't soften the blow, but it is something to consider.

Oh, and I also found this. LOL

6ae.png

BlackJace

Wow, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon really shocked me. This is legitimately great expansion to FC3, something I found myself disappointed in.

Fun, quirky gameplay that's really straightforward. The fact that you can get this as a standalone experience is great too.

I might do a LTTP lol

Razzer

JC's comment in that stealth thread made me get Mark of the Ninja, and it's great. So thanks. That is all.

Okay that's not all, I think a Rouge spinoff could use that gameplay. #keepingontopic

Will we ever find out what truly happened with Rise Of Lyric?

Rise of Lyric needed more time and more money and was likely given neither.

I suspect that with Lost World barely making a splash (less than 10k sales opening week), Sega probably tightened the belt on Lyric, and with the game needing to launch along side all of the other cross-media bullshit (toys, comics, cartoons) it had to be out by a specific date with no exceptions.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, but Sonic Boom is a spin-off not made by Sonic Team, and non-canon. It probably won't soften the blow, but it is something to consider.
Just because it's not made by Sonic Team doesn't matter considering Sega and whomever approves anything to do with the IP at Sega are just as "culpable".

That being said, it's not like Sonic Team does not have its share of issues with respect to game development and design, either.

Tizoc

Well thats never happening because he belongs to the penders.

You remind me I have to investigate .

Also scourge as a character worked because made everyone a better character by just... existing, he was such a shitty hedgehog being that everyone's best qualities were brought out around him . The stories were kinda eh, but the character interactions were pretty great. But he's gone so eh, hopefully they kind find another character for that, maybe its eclipse.

T.T Scourge was one of my fav. characters in the comic.

Seems like the artists were busy pushing the PC SDK as far as it could go while the programmers were probably desperate to get the Wii U version to even run. Really hope someone's willing to talk about the project down the line.

what

I mean, the character's dead for legal reasons anyway, but this doesn't make sense even in the universe where he actually exists, never mind as the basis for a game.

I have this idea for a 2D Sonic game where you can also play as other characters, they'd all share the same base abilities as Sonic but it'd just be a novelty thing. Scourge would be one of them.

TimmiT

I suspect that with Lost World barely making a splash (less than 10k sales opening week), Sega probably tightened the belt on Lyric, and with the game needing to launch along side all of the other cross-media bullshit (toys, comics, cartoons) it had to be out by a specific date with no exceptions.

It had three years development time and a budget of about 20 million, which is twice the budget of Sonic Colours. It seems like there was enough time to develop the game, but there were issues during development like having to make a Cryengine game work on a console that doesn't officially support Cryengine.

Tizoc

It had three years development time and a budget of about 20 million, which is twice the budget of Sonic Colours. It seems like there was enough time to develop the game, but there were issues during development like having to make a Cryengine game work on a console that doesn't officially support Cryengine.

Yikes, should've gone with Unreal Engine 3 if that's the case >_>;

Regiruler

I could have sworn LW had far more sales via legs than opening week.

I could have sworn LW had far more sales via legs than opening week.

Looking it up, the last reported sales figure I could find was 710k, and I think most of that was for the 3DS version. If you dare even entertain Chartz, they say only 26,000 worldwide for the Wii U version.

Edit: Apparently the 710k figure was from SegaSammy's official financial report earlier this year.

Tizoc

Just got my 3DS copy of Sonic Boom just arrived, will try to put some time into it tonight after catching up in Far Cry 4.

TimmiT

Just got my 3DS copy of Sonic Boom just arrived, will try to put some time into it tonight after catching up in Far Cry 4.

I'm sad that I couldn't warn the people of just how boring Sonic Boom 3DS is. Almost finished my review for Sonic Retro.
It's not a good game. Far from it.

Tizoc

I'm sad that I couldn't warn the people of just how boring Sonic Boom 3DS is. Almost finished my review for Sonic Retro.
It's not a good game. Far from it.

Hey as long as it's not as boring and frustrating as Lost World, that'd be an improvement if you ask me :V
I can always trade it off later to get Guilty Gear Xrd's price down.

Sciz

You know the writers (and there were inexplicably three of them) dropped the ball for this week's episode when Sonic ends up being funnier than Eggman.

TimmiT

Hey as long as it's not as boring and frustrating as Lost World, that'd be an improvement if you ask me :V
I can always trade it off later to get Guilty Gear Xrd's price down.

I wouldn't call it frustrating, but it is one of the most boring Sonic games ever made.

NotLiquid

So uh is that a good or a bad thing?

Ideally a bad thing as Eggman alone is practically the main thing justifying actual dialogue/interaction in the whole Sonic franchise.

But I dunno, Sonic has had his moments during a few of the Boom episodes.

The Shattered Crystal demo alone was one of those cases where I felt offended by its sheer blandness, the game doesn't even have any so bad it's good merits, it was just so sub standard, so by the numbers and so drab that it made me look back on the worst parts of Lost World with a longing fondness, "hey maybe that shoddy Sonic as a poor man's DKCR rocketbarrel section wasn't so bad after all" though It was of course pretty bad.

Regiruler

The Shattered Crystal demo alone was one of those cases where I felt offended by its sheer blandness, the game doesn't even have any so bad it's good merits, it was just so sub standard, so by the numbers and so drab that it made me look back on the worst parts of Lost World with a longing fondness, "hey maybe that shoddy Sonic as a poor man's DKCR rocketbarrel section wasn't so bad after all" though It was of course pretty bad.

You mean the last level of the secret world? It was frustrating in implementation but I thought it was a neat concept, particularly when the boss got involved.

By all means toot away, I do tend to read and watch most reviews that sometimes turn up in here even if I usually don't mention it.

You mean the last level of the secret world? It was frustrating in implementation but I thought it was a neat concept, particularly when the boss got involved.

That was the odd gravity spheres one right? that wasn't too grand either.
But the one I'm on about appears twice, first as an extra stage in the Tropical World I think and then as a mandatory stage somewhere in Sky Road, this one to be precise.
Those awkward and initially unintuitive controls, of all the random things Lost World does with Sonic this tops the list in confusing me, I'm not sure how they even pitched this idea.
"so how about Sonic is flying in this perpetual up draft right? and you spin to decrease your altitude because reasons and as a bonus we don't have to bother trying with the level design"

Regiruler

That was the odd gravity spheres one right? that wasn't too grand either.
But the one I'm on about appears twice, first as an extra stage in the Tropical World I think and then as a mandatory stage somewhere in Sky Road, this one to be precise.
Those awkward and initially unintuitive controls, of all the random things Lost World does with Sonic this tops the list in confusing me, I'm not sure how they even pitched this idea.
"so how about Sonic is flying in this perpetual up draft right? and you spin to decrease your altitude because reasons and as a bonus we don't have to bother trying with the level design"

That should have simply had a tutorial. Once you learned the controls the levels were neat sidescrolling shmup kind of things.

Also the neogaf edit function has finally been fixed. Praise the lord.

Tizoc

Sonic Boom 3DS being short sounds good to me, means I can quickly get it ready for trading if I end up not wanting it anymore :p

Tizoc

Well the first few minutes of Sonic Boom 3DS are OK. I like how Pressing Y will just make your character run without needing to hold it.

oh hey it's another sonic thread in gaming discussion
If I had any sort of those fancy graphic skills I'd have whipped up a Sonic thread cycle image months ago to throw in whenever the cycle itself turns up.
In this case though it's off to a bad start from the word go, polish and modern Sonic are like oil ocean and water palace.

Regiruler

If I had any sort of those fancy graphic skills I'd have whipped up a Sonic thread cycle image months ago to throw in whenever the cycle itself turns up.
In this case though it's off to a bad start from the word go, polish and modern Sonic are like oil ocean and water palace.

Colors was very well polished though, as was generations.
IIRC Unleashed didn't have very many technical issues and for the most part looked fairly good visually, so in that sense it is fairly well polished.

IIRC Unleashed didn't have very many technical issues and for the most part looked fairly good visually, so in that sense it is fairly well polished.

Time Eater and to a lesser extent Egg Dragoon disqualify Generations from "polished" status

There are a few missions where you can do funky stuff, too. I remember launching myself to a really weird place in a Classic Chemical Plant Zone mission where it was like the normal level, but completely empty and with certain parts of the level missing.

Of course, I guess Generations is more polished than most Sonic games.

Colours I'll agree with but as for Generations, well...
Time Eater and to a lesser extent Egg Dragoon disqualify Generations from "polished" status

This and a few of the sloppier missions. PS3 frame rate can jump around a bit as well which affected me at least.

Honestly I can't remember much of Unleashed in the grand scheme of things, I just keep thinking of the Werehog's lack of jumping shadow at points and half the game being something of a snore to play is like running my finger across that fine looking Unleashed and suddenly DUST ON MY FINGERTIPS, who left those wasps in there? certainly not a man who was finely polishing things!
But at least you're not falling through the floor and stuff.

Top Bottom